2021 Free Agency Mega Thread

Do the Kings make a surprise Free Agency splash?

• Total voters

Not really sure what this says about my talent evaluation, but virtually every guy listed here was a top target I wanted for us and still available.
I had the same thought this morning! I've wanted the Kings to take a flyer on Winslow, THT, or Hart. That all three are still available and could very well be had at an inexpensive price point is either an encouraging sign to me, or a misreading on my part of how effective those guys could be on the wing for a team who's still lacking in that area.

I'm glad Harkless is back but we need another Wing still. Wouldn't mind getting back Wenyen Gabriel either who I believe is under contract with N.O.

I had the same thought this morning! I've wanted the Kings to take a flyer on Winslow, THT, or Hart. That all three are still available and could very well be had at an inexpensive price point is either an encouraging sign to me, or a misreading on my part of how effective those guys could be on the wing for a team who's still lacking in that area.
Pelicans might be a option. Flip Buddy for Sato+Josh Hart S&T. Makes a lot more sense for both teams as Hart isn't as good next to 2 paint collapsers like Zion/Ingram and we're giving them one of the best options in the NBA to open up the floor. Hart directly addresses a team weakness (rebounding) and adds real defensive versatility on the wing. Sato is just a solid player that can help with a "win-now" push and is on an expiring contract. That also gives you freedom to shop around Wright (if he's still on the team), or ship Sato off to another destination.

You'd also leave open the MLE, giving you a chance to take another swing on a wing like Winslow, THT, Vanderbilt.

Not really sure what this says about my talent evaluation, but virtually every guy listed here was a top target I wanted for us and still available.

of course, I'm riding with the Vanderbilt train #1
You're looking for low risk, high upside players with age on their side. The Kings normally go for low risk, low upside veterans that are barely hanging on in this league. It's difficult for us to sign free agents but I bet our situation can look pretty attractive to a young player that is thirsty for more playing time.

Richaun was the last free agent signing I can think of that was in the mold that you're going for. That turned out to be pretty successful. Why they don't do it more often, I'll never know. It's like they're always in perpetual win now mode and it costs them the chance at acquiring players who might not be the best the second they step on the court but might wind up being something in a year or two.

I like Vanderbilt and he looks like he could potentially break out. I don't think he's a good fit for our roster but I would much rather take a chance on him and see if he improves enough to force a roster change at some point over a random vet who is below average and has nothing to give other than filling a roster spot and taking up minutes from players that could potentially help with a real playoff push in the future.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Vanderbilt fits defensively but does he fit offensively? If we go 3 guard lineup, I guess we would want our 4 to ball out defensively

Pelicans might be a option. Flip Buddy for Sato+Josh Hart S&T. Makes a lot more sense for both teams as Hart isn't as good next to 2 paint collapsers like Zion/Ingram and we're giving them one of the best options in the NBA to open up the floor. Hart directly addresses a team weakness (rebounding) and adds real defensive versatility on the wing. Sato is just a solid player that can help with a "win-now" push and is on an expiring contract. That also gives you freedom to shop around Wright (if he's still on the team), or ship Sato off to another destination.

You'd also leave open the MLE, giving you a chance to take another swing on a wing like Winslow, THT, Vanderbilt.
If the Pelicans are below the cap, can’t they sign Hart to a smaller deal than Buddy and then do the trade while eating the difference with cap space? I’m assuming they’d prefer to keep Sato after losing Ball.

Vanderbilt fits defensively but does he fit offensively? If we go 3 guard lineup, I guess we would want our 4 to ball out defensively
That's the question. There probably wont be enough shooting, but I don't know if it matters at this point. We either play a vet who has no impact on winning and isn't going to be here in a year or two or we take chances on younger players who show glimpses of being players in this league and see what happens.

You're looking for low risk, high upside players with age on their side. The Kings normally go for low risk, low upside veterans that are barely hanging on in this league. It's difficult for us to sign free agents but I bet our situation can look pretty attractive to a young player that is thirsty for more playing time.

Richaun was the last free agent signing I can think of that was in the mold that you're going for. That turned out to be pretty successful. Why they don't do it more often, I'll never know. It's like they're always in perpetual win now mode and it costs them the chance at acquiring players who might not be the best the second they step on the court but might wind up being something in a year or two.

I like Vanderbilt and he looks like he could potentially break out. I don't think he's a good fit for our roster but I would much rather take a chance on him and see if he improves enough to force a roster change at some point over a random vet who is below average and has nothing to give other than filling a roster spot and taking up minutes from players that could potentially help with a real playoff push in the future.
Wouldn’t Metu and to some extent Jones fit this as well?

Holmes-Vandy would be absolute lunacy on defense. Both dudes are dynamite at hedging the perimeter as bigs and Vandy offers tremendous rim protection/rebounding chops to fill in some of Holmes gaps on that end. Just their energy/intensity along with what Mitchell would bring absolutely would change our culture/talent on defense from what we've been the last 15 years.

Offensively, it's a bit sketchy, but who cares? I think Vanderbilt has a chance to be a unicorn defensive big man that plays with 100% energy/hustle. He's great friends with Fox. He can't shoot, but he's not a total stiff with the ball in his hands and has shown transition ball-handling/passing talent. He's excelled as a finisher in the dunker spot, finishing the year with a 61% TS, despite absolutely 0 jumper and a bad FT%. For a team fresh off the worst defensive season in NBA history, that's a gamble worth making.

Holmes-Vandy would be absolute lunacy on defense. Both dudes are dynamite at hedging the perimeter as bigs and Vandy offers tremendous rim protection/rebounding chops to fill in some of Holmes gaps on that end. Just their energy/intensity along with what Mitchell would bring absolutely would change our culture/talent on defense from what we've been the last 15 years.

Offensively, it's a bit sketchy, but who cares? I think Vanderbilt has a chance to be a unicorn defensive big man that plays with 100% energy/hustle. He's great friends with Fox. He can't shoot, but he's not a total stiff with the ball in his hands and has shown transition ball-handling/passing talent. He's excelled as a finisher in the dunker spot, finishing the year with a 61% TS, despite absolutely 0 jumper and a bad FT%. For a team fresh off the worst defensive season in NBA history, that's a gamble worth making.
Is Vanderbilt a big or a wing?

Spurs are bleeding talent.

Rudy Gay (Jazz) Trey Lyles (Pistons) Gorgui Dieng (Hawks) Patty Mills (Nets).

Chris Palmer @ChrisPalmerNBA
Patty Mills 10-year run with the Spurs is over. An unheard of stretch for a 6-1 guard who is not an All-Star (for any guard, really). Last remaining member of the Spurs 2014 title team.
Spurs are going all in on a rebuild which increases Memphis’s chances given they have 8 games against Spurs and Houston.