2018 Kings after 1 Game

Last year he hit a game winner, then started playing hero ball after that. Seems nothing has changed.

So him dribbling between 3 people instead of passing seems more likely to me.

I've dubbed his hero ball, or high risk play domenitus

Have used the term several times here as a way to explain the phenomena.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Last year he hit a game winner, then started playing hero ball after that. Seems nothing has changed.

So him dribbling between 3 people instead of passing seems more likely to me.

I've dubbed his hero ball, or high risk play domenitus

Have used the term several times here as a way to explain the phenomena.
Ahh. I didn't think of that as the watershed moment. Now I get it. What I also get, and your post affirms, is that the domenitus play of Bogs is independent of the Kings' coach. Whether it's Joerger or Walton, he's playing the same way - selfish. I cannot believe that either one of them endorse his playing style. At this point I'm totally opposed to him playing any pg on this team. He should play 2G, period. His role must be clearly defined to bring out the best in him and this team.

What I can see from this first game fiasco is that Fox needs a legit stretch 4 or 5 out on the floor to give him the space to operate. While Dedmon is an adequate 3 point shooter, he is not a legit high volume 3 point shooting threat that Fox needs.

I have a feeling that with Bagley injured and Bjeli starting, Fox’s game will explode.

That tells me when Bagley makes his way back, he should take WCS spot at Center and Bjeli should start at Power Forward. With Bjeli in the line up with Fox, we will see the space and passing needed for Fox and the Kings to flourish.

Last edited:
What I can see from this first game fiasco is that Fox needs a legit stretch 4 or 5 out on the floor to give him the space to operate. While Dedmon is an adequate 3 point shooter, he is not a legit high volume 3 point shooting threat that Fox needs.

I have a feeling that with Bagley injured and Bjeli starting, Fox’s game will explode.

That tells me when Bagley makes his way back, he should take WCS spot at Center and Bjeli should start at Power Forward. With Bjeli in the line up with Fox, we will see the space and passing needed for Fox and the Kings to flourish.
The only problem with that is that Bagely is too small to defend centers. Bagley needs to be matched up with a strech 5 that can defend the interior. This was the thinking when we got Dedmon. We will see how that works out, but Dedmon has also had issues defending large centers in the past.

Christie talking about the "dribble, dribble, dribble" of Bogs. Grant talking about being disappointed in his play relative to the World Games. Bogs has got to trust his teammates and pass the ball.
Bogi needed a better roll man than last night Holmes. He got called for at least 2 illegal screens. That would take the trust out of any ball handler. Hopefully Holmes will improve.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Bogi needed a better roll man than last night Holmes. He got called for at least 2 illegal screens. That would take the trust out of any ball handler. Hopefully Holmes will improve.
Holmes had the illegal screens because Hield, who was dribbling the ball, didn't allow for him to get set before he used the screen. Bogs has been a dribble machine for faaaaar tooooo long. It's time to take away his toy and tell him he needs to move, screen and shoot.

Holmes had the illegal screens because Hield, who was dribbling the ball, didn't allow for him to get set before he used the screen. Bogs has been a dribble machine for faaaaar tooooo long. It's time to take away his toy and tell him he needs to move, screen and shoot.
We don't have any real playmakers besides Fox and Bogi. He can pass to anyone but there is no guarantee that person (besides Fox) will make a better decision than he will.
It was not Bogi's fault last night or any player for that matter. I think it is the offensive system.

The only problem with that is that Bagely is too small to defend centers. Bagley needs to be matched up with a strech 5 that can defend the interior. This was the thinking when we got Dedmon. We will see how that works out, but Dedmon has also had issues defending large centers in the past.
Yes, I know that role of stretch 5 was supposed to be for Dedmon, but I don't think he shots enough 3's to be considered a legit threat from 3. That's why I really wanted Brook Lopez this summer, but that never materialized. For Dedmon to really open up the lane for Fox and Bagley, he needs to shoot minimum of 5 or 6 3s a game at a good percentage, i.e. 36-40%.

Bjeli is really the only big that can do that on the Kings. I think Bagley will need to suck it up and bulk up a bit and take over the center spot. Ultimately, Center will probably be Bagley's best position on the Kings.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Yes, I know that role of stretch 5 was supposed to be for Dedmon, but I don't think he shots enough 3's to be considered a legit threat from 3. That's why I really wanted Brook Lopez this summer, but that never materialized. For Dedmon to really open up the lane for Fox and Bagley, he needs to shoot minimum of 5 or 6 3s a game at a good percentage, i.e. 36-40%.

Bjeli is really the only big that can do that on the Kings. I think Bagley will need to suck it up and bulk up a bit and take over the center spot. Ultimately, Center will probably be Bagley's best position on the Kings.
Bagley has the size right now to defend centers. What he doesn't have is the experience to know how to do it for the more physical ones. It's just going to take time and repetition to be able to use his quickness and athleticism against the bigger guys.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
We don't have any real playmakers besides Fox and Bogi. He can pass to anyone but there is no guarantee that person (besides Fox) will make a better decision than he will.
It was not Bogi's fault last night or any player for that matter. I think it is the offensive system.
Yeah, if by offensive system the system that allows him to dribble his a$$ off. Really, the two best playmakers on this team are Fox and Giles. Bogs may think he's an initiating dribble-playmaker, but he isn't. He's proven repeatedly that he isn't. He can definitely pass, he can pass off the move also, but he doesn't have the quicks to consistently get by defenders and initiate the action with success for himself and others. I'd like to see him set a screen, have a King run off his screen and throw them the ball; or set the pick and roll to the basket, or receive a pass for an open shot after Fox draws the defenders to him, or get the receiving pass from someone and *then* put the ball down on the floor to evade a defender and shoot or pass to a cutting King.

Yeah, if by offensive system the system that allows him to dribble his a$$ off. Really, the two best playmakers on this team are Fox and Giles. Bogs may think he's an initiating dribble-playmaker, but he isn't. He's proven repeatedly that he isn't. He can definitely pass, he can pass off the move also, but he doesn't have the quicks to consistently get by defenders and initiate the action with success for himself and others. I'd like to see him set a screen, have a King run off his screen and throw them the ball; or set the pick and roll to the basket, or receive a pass for an open shot after Fox draws the defenders to him, or get the receiving pass from someone and *then* put the ball down on the floor to evade a defender and shoot or pass to a cutting King.
Giles has proven zip. He is much more flash than substance. Until he can keep his turnover down, he is not a playmaker.
Fox can't shoot off the dribble. Bogi can't handle high usage. They each have their flaws but they are still the 2 best playmakers.
Bogi needs a good roll man, like WCS. Too bad WCS wanted to be more than that.

I agree. It looks like center spot is best suited for his skill, but he does not have the size to defend bigger centers .

I think his combination of skill/size also presents issues on offense. To be effective he needs to be given the ball and then he can go to work. Either he uses his quickness on a slower bigger cover, or posts up a smaller cover. But when the defender is similar physically (similar size and quickness) then I think he struggles. The issue is also that when we are not running a play where he is given the ball, then he (as of this point in time) does not do much to help run the offense.. They did start having him set some back picks and he is taking the 3 when left alone so those are encouraging signs. But he needs to get better at both. Set better picks, get better at handoffs (WCS and Buddy were a good pair), shoot the 3. All these things will make him more useful. He did seem to hit most of his open midrange jumpers in the last game which is good.

Bagley has the size right now to defend centers. What he doesn't have is the experience to know how to do it for the more physical ones. It's just going to take time and repetition to be able to use his quickness and athleticism against the bigger guys.
I don't think he has the size to defend Embiid, Jokic, Gobert etc... But he definitely needs repetition, which is why this thumb injury is a setback. He needs to be out there getting a feel for the game.

Watching the Kings the first two game have been very distressing, to say the least.

The Kings have for some reason gone away from what made them special and exciting last year and that is to run and run some more. Is having Dedmon, instead of WCS, slowing down the pace too much? Or is Walton not seeing what a lot of us fans are seeing? We need more pace, better ball movement and spacing and that isn't happening right now.

How about we try something different? With the current line up and no Bagley for at least a month, should Luke go full on small ball and run the hell out of the other team?

Lets put on the afterburners and just go small and run and run some more. At least the Kings would be entertaining! ;)

If we go small ball lineup, we would move Bogdan into SF and move Barnes over to PF.

Bagley will eventually slot in at Center when he returns, but for now, either Giles (if healthy) or Holmes at Center.

Starting lineup:

PF: Barnes / Bleji /Holmes
SF: Bogdan / Ariza
C: Bagley/Giles / Holmes/ Dedmon
SG: Buddy / Ferrell
PG: Fox / Joseph

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The crazy thing is that last season's annual Kingsfans.com freakout happened even earlier than this seasons, after we got our pants blown off in the preseason.