2014 FIFA World Cup (contains spoilers)

It seems like Brazilians were pretty gracious to Germans yesterday but damn I would be so miserable if I were Brazilian and held a ticket to the final. Hated rival vs. the team that humiliated you. Just wow.

I got the final match up I predicted but never expected it to play out like this. I'd like to see Germany win 3-2 just to guarantee the goals record is matched/beaten. Though the third place game should be good for one or two.

I saw piece on ESPN couple days ago about German fans in Brazil. It reported that a poll showed that host nation liked German fans most of all the nationalities on hand for this years World Cup. I suppose since there's so many of them making the trip they're spending lots of money as tourists. Now all of Brazil gets to root for them over Argentina in the final almost as madly as all those Germans in the stands. Should be fun to hear two sides level of loud stadium noise, Germans along with Brazilians matched against huge number of Argentinian fans going crazy.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Predictions World Cup semi-final:

Germany 1 Brazil 0
Germany now slightly favored over Brazil with huge loss of Neymar hurting home team - probably too much to overcome. Muller, Schweinsteiger, rest of the machine get it done.
Germany 1 Brazil 0. You really know your football. :rolleyes: Brazil certainly lost a great player but ....................... I presume a score like 7-1 has occurred before in the 2nd game of the knock out rounds before but not often.

Hey, Dime Dropper, did you watch the game with any of your bevy of Brazilian beauties? THAT would be a sad thing to experience. Well, kinda. ;) I am sure they would need a lot of consoling.

Germany 1 Brazil 0. You really know your football. :rolleyes: Brazil certainly lost a great player but ....................... I presume a score like 7-1 has occurred before in the 2nd game of the knock out rounds before but not often.

Hey, Dime Dropper, did you watch the game with any of your bevy of Brazilian beauties? THAT would be a sad thing to experience. Well, kinda. ;) I am sure they would need a lot of consoling.
I almost prognosticated 2-0 but never foresaw a Brazil national team giving up and completely caving in to such an obviously superior Germany team.

Some history of Brazil debacles (obviously there's not been many going back over 90 years).

Grounded Brazil

* Brazil's six-goal defeat equals their worst loss in team history - 6-0 to Uruguay in the 1920 Copa America.

* Brazil had not allowed five goals in an entire World Cup since 1998. They allowed four in five matches in 2010, two in five matches in 2006, and four in seven matches in 2002.

* Brazil had never before trailed by four goals in any World Cup match. That's 102 previous matches.

* Brazil have allowed five goals in official games just eight times - six in 1940 or earlier, and twice in 1963. Six goals? Not since 1940. Seven? Not since an 8-4 friendly defeat to Yugoslavia in 1934.

* The previous worst defeats for a host nation at a World Cup were by three goals - South Africa's 3-0 loss to Uruguay in 2010, Mexico's 4-1 loss to Italy in 1958 and Sweden's 5-2 loss to Brazil in the 1958 final.

* Brazil lost at home in a competitive match for the first time since the 1975 Copa America to Peru - a period of 63 games.

* The last time Brazil lost a World Cup match at home was the 1950 final, which caused the team to change its kit.

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/322639.html#UpKe2ABelbS3Ijow.99

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I almost prognosticated 2-0 but never foresaw a Brazil national team giving up and completely caving in to such an obviously superior Germany team.

Some history of Brazil debacles (obviously there's not been many going back over 90 years).

Grounded Brazil

* Brazil's six-goal defeat equals their worst loss in team history - 6-0 to Uruguay in the 1920 Copa America.

* Brazil had not allowed five goals in an entire World Cup since 1998. They allowed four in five matches in 2010, two in five matches in 2006, and four in seven matches in 2002.

* Brazil had never before trailed by four goals in any World Cup match. That's 102 previous matches.

* Brazil have allowed five goals in official games just eight times - six in 1940 or earlier, and twice in 1963. Six goals? Not since 1940. Seven? Not since an 8-4 friendly defeat to Yugoslavia in 1934.

* The previous worst defeats for a host nation at a World Cup were by three goals - South Africa's 3-0 loss to Uruguay in 2010, Mexico's 4-1 loss to Italy in 1958 and Sweden's 5-2 loss to Brazil in the 1958 final.

* Brazil lost at home in a competitive match for the first time since the 1975 Copa America to Peru - a period of 63 games.

* The last time Brazil lost a World Cup match at home was the 1950 final, which caused the team to change its kit.

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/322639.html#UpKe2ABelbS3Ijow.99
Thanks. It's a bit like Wilt scoring 100 pts. It may never happen again. Your prediction certainly was reasonable.

Germany are just wayyyyy too good. They really should steamroll Argentina in the final. Messi will have to have one of his majestic performances for Argentina to win.

Truth is Brazil's team is full of average players + one star. Similar dilemma to the Portuguese, Holland had the easiest draw for a so called "top" team and needed penalties to beat Costa Rica, they also cheated to beat Mexico. I'm glad they wont be in the final again. They were undeservedly there in 2010 too.

I watched most of the games in a huge sports bar with about 1000 Brazilians (I almost said "fellow Brazilians" there :p). Luckily I didn't see the Germany game in the bar, I stayed at home. Can imagine there was quite a bad atmosphere. Not sure I would have been able to help ;)

I'll be there again on Saturday though for Holland/Brazil. I can see Holland winning comfortably, unfortunately. Hope I'm wrong. Completely average Brazilian team as has been pointed out. At least they'll have Thiago Silva back, who is their second best player. They're hopeless going forward without Neymar though, and their midfield has no creativity. Coutinho should have been in the squad and Willian should be starting. Not a fan of Scolari as a coach but he'll be gone after the WC anyway.

Average Brazilians are still pretty dang good. Interesting to see how they go into the match. Will they park the bus to avoid humiliation or will they go for broke for the second time in 4 days?

I see Germany winning handily but it only takes one player like Messi. Argentina hasn't really gotten off to a hot start though so the German machine should just roll on. I do expect similar to the last time they met. But if Argentina wins I won't be disappointed because I do like a lot of their players.

I mean average in general terms though, not just average compared to other Brazilian teams of the past. There's no way the likes of Fred, Hulk, Paulinho, Luiz, Cesar etc are good enough to start in a WC winning team. They're all pretty bad. I know Luiz just went for £50 million but the guy is awful, he has no clue how to defend. I think they'll be more conservative, they won't want to get hammered again. And Scolari is very defensive anyway.

It's Germany's to lose. It's up to Messi to produce the goods, unless di Maria can get in on the action. Aguero didn't look fit to me last night. Germany should have too much for them, but who the hell knows. Brazil will implode if Argentina wins it on their turf. :eek:

Yes but even so they are better than England, USA, etc. There was a lot of hyperbole about comparing score lines, etc.

I have friends in the once every four years crowds making some ridiculous statements.

Who isn't better than England? Terrible team.

In terms of the "contenders" Brazil have a lot of work to do. They rely on their relentless tempo. Always have done. A team like Germany can shut them down, teams who try and play Brazil at their own expansive game (like Columbia did) will get beat.

In terms of the "contenders" Brazil have a lot of work to do. They rely on their relentless tempo. Always have done. A team like Germany can shut them down, teams who try and play Brazil at their own expansive game (like Columbia did) will get beat.
After watching the World Cup this year, I am convinced that the USA can thoroughly whoop up on England.

I hope you're just referring to this WC, because while Brazil may have always played a fast tempo, they certainly didn't rely on it. They've had some of the best international teams ever. I know you know this, but anyway. Scolari had them playing very cynically this year. They relied on fouling and pretty much giving the ball to Neymar and saying "do something". They fed off the incredible atmosphere, that's the only thing that got them to the semis. This team was way below par for them.

I actually wouldn't have been surprised if the US gave them a tough game, and even beaten them, if they'd have played. I'm not from the US before anyone accuses me of being biased. I don't think it's far-fetched. I'm actually biased towards Brazil for reasons that Glenn will know, but it's really a poor team.

England are a shambles at every tournament. It's kind of comical. They have some talent but are living in the dark ages with the way they bring kids up and play the game.

I hope you're just referring to this WC, because while Brazil may have always played a fast tempo, they certainly didn't rely on it. They've had some of the best international teams ever..
Well I should add the caveat that i mean in my lifetime, I don't mean thats their only asset but thats their foundation. Certainly the teams i remember with Romario, Bebeto, Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Rivaldo, Leonardo etc etc.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I don't know if it is unprecedented to have two living Popes but certainly it is unprecedented that the two Popes are from the countries battling it out in the World Cup Finals. Pope Benedict is from Germany and Pope Francis is from Argentina. I wonder if they talk trash to each other. :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't know if it is unprecedented to have two living Popes but certainly it is unprecedented that the two Popes are from the countries battling it out in the World Cup Finals. Pope Benedict is from Germany and Pope Francis is from Argentina. I wonder if they talk trash to each other. :)

Extremely unusual for there to be two living pontiffs at the same time, since it is generally considered to be a lifetime position. It has happened multiple times over the ages, but the last time before now was in the 1400s.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Extremely unusual for there to be two living pontiffs at the same time, since it is generally considered to be a lifetime position. It has happened multiple times over the ages, but the last time before now was in the 1400s.
There was no World Cup back then, was there. :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Wow. The announcer is sure dumping on Brazil for their abysmal showing right now. If this was in the time of the indigenous people, I could envision ritual sacrifices.

There's very interesting PBS Frontline documentary on tonight, "Secrets of the Vatican". I saw it few months ago, so repeated 9 PM on PBS-2. Reveals that there was more to Pope Benedict (now Pope Emeritus) retiring for what was officially said to be age and health reasons.

Back to World Cup following dismal 3-0 pasting by the Dutch in third place game. Brazil national nightmare, headaches continue, now a splitting migraine. Tomorrow if their most hated rival Argentina hoists cup on Brazilian soil it will be like mass painkiller overdose suicide! I think Germany is rightfully favored however slightly just like narrow odds makers line before they slaughtered Brazil 7-1. Credit to Neymar for saying good sport things about respecting Messi, etc. For sure it's mutual respect by those two futbol superstars.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Teams should just pack it in after they lose their World Cup tournament game, I don't like these teams playing for second or third place. That is solely for moral victories. Why reward that? Beat the best to become the best, period.

Teams should just pack it in after they lose their World Cup tournament game, I don't like these teams playing for second or third place. That is solely for moral victories. Why reward that? Beat the best to become the best, period.
Of course they were not playing for "second place" as first/second will be decided tomorrow. Netherlands won third place today and afterwards Dutch players said they liked what they accomplished overall with the "Bronze" even though their coach had said before match he wished they didn't have to suit up for it. It's been part of FIFA World Cup format since tournament began 84 years ago. Not likely to change anytime soon since consolation game is usually if not always a sell out and money maker for FIFA plus host country. The game today in the capital Brasilia was sold out.

As a side note it must be real nice to be LeBron James. He's flying free first class from Miami into Rio de Janeiro today for tomorrows World Cup final. Seems Mr James is quite involved as an investor in the sport of futbol/soccer. Maybe King James will also shoot a commercial with Messi or Neymar or others while he's there promoting Nike, Adidas, Pepsi, etc - who knows which.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2014/05/22/lebron-james-will-cash-in-with-the-world-cup/

Last edited: