2014 FIFA World Cup (contains spoilers)

i tried watching it when team USA was still in it, i really did. Couldn't do it

America seemed to be pretty interested in it during this world cup but i think that was just more about supporting the country and not the sport. Im sure america is back to not caring again. i mean americans even watch curling and vollyball when it comes to olympics and supporting the country

I love the intl soccer like olympics and world cup, but only when we play.

Sorry, but if it was 0-0 in the superbowl and going into OT, people would lose interest.

The ratings have been pretty impressive. Theres definetly an underground movement going on, particularly with the young crowd. Older people are still stuck on the 50's.

Its funny how die hard soccer fans try to shove it down our throats. Can't really help the fact that we find the game to be boring. Its like forcing a kid to eat broccoli, then he hates it and you tell him how good it is if he just tries more of it. Ill watch soccer when the US plays, but outside of that, probably not

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
It's great... every 4 years. Other than that, I just can't get into it - even with a professional team 10 minutes away. The quality of play at the international level is so much better than here, and until it gets to that level here, I don't see the interest rising.
We talk about a spike in interest every time the world cup happens, but I've yet to see it sustained.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
It's great... every 4 years. Other than that, I just can't get into it - even with a professional team 10 minutes away. The quality of play at the international level is so much better than here, and until it gets to that level here, I don't see the interest rising.
We talk about a spike in interest every time the world cup happens, but I've yet to see it sustained.
Are you referring to yourself? ;)

More people are watching this game than probably 20 superbowls. Just give in America, we arent in the 1950's anymore.
I couldn't agree more that the sport is extremely popular world wide, but it will never catch on here the way it is everywhere else. Look at the final today. No scoring at all till 113th minute. I know there is more to soccer than that, but that's a major hangup for score crazy America.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I couldn't agree more that the sport is extremely popular world wide, but it will never catch on here the way it is everywhere else. Look at the final today. No scoring at all till 113th minute. I know there is more to soccer than that, but that's a major hangup for score crazy America.
Yep. It's called tangible results.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
How anyone is watching summerleague or wnba over a world cup final is beyond me.
You know what, I like soccer okay, but basketball >>>>> *.* to me. I mean, I like the NBA more than I like the WNBA, but I still like the WNBA more than anything that's not the NBA.

Plus, I had tickets.

EDIT - Any reason in particular why you didn't ask why people are watching baseball instead of the World Cup?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Can't we ever talk soccer without a stupid this sport/that sport war?

That said, I'd gladly watch any other sport where it was 0-0 including NFL. There were plenty of 3-2 scorelines in this World Cup, if they were scored "21-14" would that be better? And if teams scored 14 or 15 goals a match then we'd just hear oh well goals don't mean anything either. As a fan of just about every sport played at a high level, I think the moves made to increase scoring in hockey really did a number on my enjoyment of the game.

And if you truly hate 0-0 watch league soccer where the scorelines are usually much higher.

Happy German house today.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
The final should be over by then.
Should.
Singling you out because I like you Spike.

Even with extra time and penalties, a soccer match will end before any popular North American sport's average run time (~2.5 hours). It's the one sport you can actually trust your DVR.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Can't we ever talk soccer without a stupid this sport/that sport war?
Ask jcwkings; he brought it up.

And, if I understand the timeline correctly, he didn't even bring it up in the World Cup thread in the first place. I was, as previously mentioned, at a WNBA game when this all transpired, but if I am reading correctly, these posts were moved here from the Summer League game thread after jcwkings went into that thread to, basically, threads*** about Kings Fans on a Kings message board having the temerity to want to watch a Kings summer league game while the World Cup final was happening. Like, how dare us?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
You weren't necessarily to know that, but you didn't have to come in half-cocked, either way. You made it sound like you thought we were ganging up on him, and disregarding the fact that, even if the conversation had originated here, he started it.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Well it did look like a bunch of people popped in the thread from out of nowhere to rag on soccer. This thread was a nice harmless thread about World Cup and there were some comments like got find a soccer board to chat on which threw me off because this conversation (as I saw it) was properly placed in the other sports forum and only populated by a few of us soccer loving weirdos.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Which sort of begs the question: which post did you start with? 'Cause when I first saw it, I thought it was weird that someone would bring up Summer League and the WNBA, unsolicited, in the WC thread in the first place. I couldn't understand what point he was trying to make.

And then I flipped over to the Game Thread, and saw comments which indicated that another mod had moved these comments over from there, and then I thought, "Well, that was sort of gauche."

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I started on this page. It was a long day. I went back to read and couldn't really figure out wth happened. Obviously the post was tacky but if it were on this thread it would have rightfully been ignored.

there should be a perm thread for dumb inappropriate comments to get moved to. I'd read it :)

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Singling you out because I like you Spike.

Even with extra time and penalties, a soccer match will end before any popular North American sport's average run time (~2.5 hours). It's the one sport you can actually trust your DVR.
That is one of the things I like about the sport. Fewer commercials/pauses are great.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
The biggest gripe I have is the "let's add time on to the end of the match on the fly" component. It really seems so.....arbitrary. There should be an official clock like all other sports that just stops when the action on the field dictates it should. Why is that not implemented???

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
If for no other reason that would lead to commercial breaks and time outs I am glad that isn't implemented. MLS tried a firm clock where 90 minutes was 90 minutes and the fans hated it and it was scrapped.