2014 Draft Prospects:

The problems you have with him does not mean he isn't worth a second rounder, right? That's pretty much all we're talking about. I have not really seen much of him but the whole "Justin Williams" or "Hassan Whiteside" intrigue is there and I wouldn't mind purchasing a 2nd round pick to see what he has (if he's still there). Those other two bigs that are over 7ft are also players I wouldn't mind spending a 2nd rounder on. I don't think I would purchase a late 1st for any of them though.
I think he's worth a 2nd round pick, but then it would depend on who we pick in the first round. Or who else is available in the 2nd round. I guess I'm not as intrigued with him as you are, but I do understand why. I guess I watched him play too many times the last couple of years and frankly he put me to sleep too many times. But, he does have some nice tools. He was a terrible rebounder last season. He averaged almost 3 boards less than the year before. He blocked a lot of shots, but he didn't defend the pick and roll very well. Of course that's why he's projected to be a 2nd rounder.

Hey, why don't we just trade for Kevin Love. I know that would make you happy. I hear he's available now.

I like this guy a lot. He's going to make a great defensive / energy / role player. He won't be drafted high, but a team is going to get themselves a steady player. I know I'm one of his only fans left, but he's got the right mindset and he plays the right way.

Young is one of those guys that on paper, looks like the next Dwight Howard. Unfortunately, its never translated to the floor. Don't get me wrong. If I could pick him up with a 2nd round pick, I'd do it in a heartbeat. He is a good defender, and should be a better shotblocker than he shown so far. My problem with Young is very similar to Austin. Very little growth in his time at Florida. The question is, how much of his game is a result of Florida's offensive scheme. He's never shown any game away from the basket, and his post game is pretty simplistic. Is that all there is, or is a lot of his game hidden. I'm intrigued enough to want to find out. We know one thing for sure, if you play for Florida, you know how to play defense.

Darko is/was a nutcase.
Spencer Hawes was never an uber talent like Wiggins neither was Donte Greene.

Barring injury, there's no way in hell Wiggins doesn't become a star.
I think the point your missing, is that your talking about the result, and were talking about the cause of the result. Donte had talent! He just never had the fire or desire to bust his butt to become as good as he could be. Donte Greene is a perfect example of a player with good tools that never used them. Derrick Coleman was a terrific talent, and he had a very good career, but he never became as great as he could have been. He was content with just sliding by on the talent he was given. He didn't have that fire to be great. Now you can have the fire and not have the talent. There are a lot of players that fall into that catagory.

Wiggins and Parker both have a bit of a sleepy demeanour on the court for me.
I agree on Wiggins, but not on Parker. Parker was aggressive enough to suit me. I think you have to take into consideration that all season he played either center or PF, after playing SF in highschool, and in all likelyhood will play SF in the NBA. Parker averaged almost 9 rebounds a game, or three more per game than Wiggins. He also averaged 2 more shots a game than Wiggins, while shooting for a higher percentage from the three.

I agree on Wiggins, but not on Parker. Parker was aggressive enough to suit me. I think you have to take into consideration that all season he played either center or PF, after playing SF in highschool, and in all likelyhood will play SF in the NBA. Parker averaged almost 9 rebounds a game, or three more per game than Wiggins. He also averaged 2 more shots a game than Wiggins, while shooting for a higher percentage from the three.
Wiggins played with full-sized (maybe even over-sized by Division I standards) front-court every minute in college, Parker played 1 position higher with less capable rebounders, and Jabari played center, when match-up allowed. No one would argue that Kawhi might start at center, if Miami slotted LeBron there.

Wiggins played with full-sized (maybe even over-sized by Division I standards) front-court every minute in college, Parker played 1 position higher with less capable rebounders, and Jabari played center, when match-up allowed. No one would argue that Kawhi might start at center, if Miami slotted LeBron there.
Really not sure what your point is. My comment has to do with aggressiveness, or lack there of. There were games where Wiggins was just there and doing nothing. And I'm talking about the offensive side of the ball. I don't know how much of that had to do with Wiggins or the system he was playing in. The main knock on Wiggins by most critics was his lack of aggression at times.

If the reports are true that we loved Schroeder than they will end up loving a Peyton. From scouting reports/videos it looks like they have the same type of game except Peyton is bigger and a better athlete. Also they were reports that Peyton was a defensive menace at the USA camp.

I haven't said anything about Peyton as I didn't get to see him play. However the last few days I've been educating myself about him and there really is a lot to like. He looks extremely talented and brings exactly what we need from the PG position. Hope we get him in for a workout at the very least. Love his attitude too. Saw an interview with him, "I don't like being scored on. Defense wins championships so that's why I want to do it." We could do with that mentality on this team.

Last edited:
I didn't like the scouts and think they're lucky they don't have their names to it. Some glaring errors, as if they didn't even watch them play. Seemed to be one scout in the minority who got most of it right.

Peyton may be a lottery pick. So much to like.

I think it's instructive to read Ryen Rusillo's article comparing the Randle and the top three: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/r...l-scouts-on-wiggins-randle-embiid-and-parker/
Good piece on those guys....I liked scout 1's take on Wiggins and his lack of "f you" demeanor. If I'm the Kings I'd like to get another player with that type of attitude to go along with Cousins. IT has it. Reggie Evans has it. Rudy Gay.....probably but he doesn't wear it on his sleeve like the other guys.

Scout 1 on Parker: "If he was an elite athlete you could get by with him being a below-average shooter. If he was an elite shooter you could get by with him being a below-average athlete. Unfortunately, he’s below average in both."

What a load of nonsense. He's an above average athlete and an above average shooter. He's far more athletic than people think. He's lucky he doesn't have his name to that or he'd look like an idiot in a couple of years (or maybe sooner). Just goes to show that there's nothing special about scouts, some are good, some are bad.

Still really liking Gordon at #8 if the Kings keep the pick. LaVine is intriguing but not sure he has a killer instinct. Saric is not a good fit for the Kings, but I'd still take him if Gordon was off the board.

In the Kings range, I'd go:
Vonleh
Gordon
Saric
Smart

DraftExpress has new vid of Gordon and LaVine's workouts. I'd embed them, but they have annoying 30sec ads.

I think he can play a lot of PF in the current NBA. I like his ability to guard on the perimeter, especially switching on to guards. Guarding stretch 4's. It's a huge need in the NBA right now, and he's got it.

I think he can play a lot of PF in the current NBA. I like his ability to guard on the perimeter, especially switching on to guards. Guarding stretch 4's. It's a huge need in the NBA right now, and he's got it.
I don't believe it is. I'd rather have a big frontcourt than an undersized one, just because the latter can guard stretch 4s. Stretch 4s are gimmicky in my view, not a fan of them.

I don't believe it is. I'd rather have a big frontcourt than an undersized one, just because the latter can guard stretch 4s. Stretch 4s are gimmicky in my view, not a fan of them.
Not just stretch 4's, mostly pick-and-roll and the quicker guards when there is a switch. Size is nice if you can get it, don't get me wrong. Vonleh can move a bit too.

If Sac takes Gordon, I envision him as a bigger version of how Malone used Draymond Green in Golden State. Green would be inserted into games to guard 2's, 3's and some smaller 4's because of his defensive prowess. Green now has added a 3 point shot. I see Gordon as that type of guy...one who can be inserted to guard 3's, 4's and then maybe some 2's but 2's could be a stretch.

If Sac takes Gordon, I envision him as a bigger version of how Malone used Draymond Green in Golden State. Green would be inserted into games to guard 2's, 3's and some smaller 4's because of his defensive prowess. Green now has added a 3 point shot. I see Gordon as that type of guy...one who can be inserted to guard 3's, 4's and then maybe some 2's but 2's could be a stretch.
The only real burning question with Gordon is whether he can shoot the ball or not. He said in an interview I watched that he's been working on it since the end of the season and its looking much better. I guess we'll see. I love his defense, and I still have questions about what position he'll play, but he's on my radar for the 8th spot. There's always the wild chance that Vonleh slides, but I wouldn't bet your life on it much less mine. Lavine is going to be a bit of a project. Nothing wrong with his aggression or so called killer instinct. Hard to say whether he's a PG or not. He played SG for the most part this past season. Not by choice of course. But he's very raw and at the moment the most intriguing part, is his athleticism. I do see some Westbrook in him, but Westbrook was further along at the same time in his career. Personally, unless we trade up or down, or just plain trade the pick as part of bigger deal, I think the most likely choices at 8 are Gordon, McDermott, or Stauskas. Any of the three brings something the Kings need to the table.

stretch 4's have to guard also. the bigger player usually can just post up if there is a big discrepancy in size ala landry guarding pau..

If the reports are true that we loved Schroeder than they will end up loving a Peyton. From scouting reports/videos it looks like they have the same type of game except Peyton is bigger and a better athlete. Also they were reports that Peyton was a defensive menace at the USA camp.
These guys would disagree:

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/elfrid-payton
http://www.nbadraft.net/players/dennis-schroeder

...and Schroder has a year's worth of NBA experience under his belt to boot.

These guys would disagree:

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/elfrid-payton
http://www.nbadraft.net/players/dennis-schroeder

...and Schroder has a year's worth of NBA experience under his belt to boot.
Disagree about what? They have Peyton as more athletic and equal defensively. Peyton is clearly bigger too. Not that NBAdraft actually means anything, their scouting is quite poor.

You're going to have to elaborate on the worth of this "NBA experience". You keep flouting it and it's making you look incredibly silly. How is just being in the NBA for a year an advantage if you haven't actually done anything or proved yourself? If anything Schroeder's stock may actually be down from last year as he's had an opportunity to play but hasn't shown he's good enough to get consistent minutes. Last year there was a lot of intrigue about him and what he could do at the next level. Since he didn't solidify himself as a rotational player or prove anything, it's irrational to think he's more valuable now, after a year of nothing. Now I'm not closing the book on him, I like him, but he's done absolutely nothing. You're acting as if just being on an NBA roster is some sort of achievement, which is laughable. Why don't you go ahead and actually explain what this "year of experience" has done for him, or how it's an advantage? Or you could just ignore it like every other post that points out faulty logic.

Hey, Elliot Williams has a couple years experience in the NBA, let's trade #8 for him. :rolleyes:

I'm a fan of Smart's, even though his shot needs work. I like Peyton a lot, specifically his on the ball defense. But if Smart's shot needs work, Peyton's needs to start over.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I'm a fan of Smart's, even though his shot needs work. I like Peyton a lot, specifically his on the ball defense. But if Smart's shot needs work, Peyton's needs to start over.
It's not Smart's shot that needs work so much as his shot selection. There are some form issues he should work on with his follow through and I don't think he has NBA range yet, but the main problem I see with him is where he's taking his shots and when he's taking them. Pulling up off the dribble in traffic tends to result in rushing shots up with odd body contortions. Some players can make this work but Smart doesn't appear to be one of them (yet). I'd be less concerned about Smart's shooting issues if he seemed less inclined to throw bad shots at the basket. The comparison to me is more about style of play. Payton has more work to do on his shot than Smart does, but he already displays much better self-control. I feel like the kind of shots Payton wants to take -- spotted up for three or 10-15 feet from the basket with the defense out of position -- will be easier for him to get locked in than the acrobatic looks Smart seems to prefer, if that makes sense.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't want Peyton at #8. But if the Kings traded down for two first rounders or a later first and a veteran role player then I'd certainly be on board with drafting him.

Not only does Peyton have a busted shot, but he doesn't finish at the rim well either. I don't think he'll be Rubio level bad as far as scoring but he's definitely going to have to make his mark as a defender and playmaker.

I think Smart could be a dominant defender at the PG spot. His shot concerns me but my bigger concern is whether he can actually run a team.

The more I've been looking at things the more I believe that Embiid is the only potential franchise player in this draft and that Exum is actually the second best prospect.

I'm also not getting the Saric hype. Granted there isn't a ton of game footage of him out there but even just using highlight mixes and the DX player breakdown video I'm not seeing what makes him a better prospect than Kyle Anderson.

If the Kings were to trade down to the latter half of the second round or pick up an early 2nd round pick some of the guys I'm really warming up to are Spencer Dinwiddle, KJ MacDaniels and Isaiah Austin. Austin definitely seems worth a gamble next to Cousins. MacDaniels I think is being very underrated. I don't know if he'd play the 2 or the 3 in the NBA as he has SF length but the height and weight of a SG.