2014 Draft Prospects:

reminds me of a player we took 2 drafts ago... undersized, hustling, athletic, defensive minded, great work ethic
Gordon is humble... ;)

Personally, I think Gordon will have a much more productive NBA career and help his team win. Robinson came in very undisciplined and thought he was a scorer...lol. Gordon is solid.

Saric is a baller. Not an ideal fit but if we don't move up then we need to take a serious look at him. I've said it for a while now. Pass on him and you really could regret it, big time.

Saric is a baller. Not an ideal fit but if we don't move up then we need to take a serious look at him. I've said it for a while now. Pass on him and you really could regret it, big time.
Could easily be a very good bench player next season. Would need to pair him with an athletic shot blocker type...but it seems like unicorns are easier to find.

Could easily be a very good bench player next season. Would need to pair him with an athletic shot blocker type...but it seems like unicorns are easier to find.
I'd imagine he'd start for us next year, even at PF. Just not an ideal fit though. But he's a better player than JT already. I'm still not convinced that he won't be able to play SF, so he'd start at SF too if Rudy isn't with us.

DX seems to be getting higher on Saric after this recent performance. Moved him up to 8 on their mock/top prospects lists, ahead of Gordon but still behind Vonleh.

What's your opinion on Jerami Grant out of Syracuse? Good upside on defense (7'2 wingspan) could develop behind Rudy next year. I know he is a project, but can he be a longterm solution as a lock-down defender?
One of the worst picks projected up to the 20s by either DX, nbadraft.net or any major draft network. My mock is lukewarm on him. Don't worry, no one is worse than Rodney Hood. Hood is the worst.

One of the worst picks projected up to the 20s by either DX, nbadraft.net or any major draft network. My mock is lukewarm on him. Don't worry, no one is worse than Rodney Hood. Hood is the worst.

Don't take offense, but you have really, erm, unique views of prospects. It's like you want to be different for the sake of it.

Hood should be a good player. No idea how you came to that conclusion. He's a smooth player with a lot of tools.

Eh. It's nothing worse than what dean on draft wrote about Hood.

To me, Hood is a guy who likes to create his own mid-range shot off the dribble, and he does pass the ball quite well relative to size. He just plays...so lackadaisical. Like the game comes so easy for him, that he's able to coast and settle. For someone with length and smooth athleticism, he's literally bottom of the scrap heap by position in many categories. Steals, rebounds, shots at the rim (18.9% is a pathetic mark for someone that tall), dunk rate (4.1%). There are more informed mocks out there, and I see a general consensus that Hood's game seems to translate the poorest compared to other top 20 types.

DX seems to be getting higher on Saric after this recent performance. Moved him up to 8 on their mock/top prospects lists, ahead of Gordon but still behind Vonleh.
Well, Saric is almost a year and a half older than those two guys, and as 19 y.o. he was shooting 40% inside the arc and 50% from the line, while averaging 3.9 TOs and 5.3PFs per 40 minutes. Physical profile means a lot to player's ability to be effective, so Combine measurements will provide some clarification.

Well, Saric is almost a year and a half older than those two guys, and as 19 y.o. he was shooting 40% inside the arc and 50% from the line, while averaging 3.9 TOs and 5.3PFs per 40 minutes. Physical profile means a lot to player's ability to be effective, so Combine measurements will provide some clarification.
Little disingenuous to post his %s as a 19yo as though they're relevant. He's had a much more important role this season and greater sample size and has posted very good numbers and solid %s. Neither Gordon nor Vonleh would have been capable of doing what he did this season, and more than likely couldn't in another year either. I do know you like to exaggerate every possible weakness and completely ignore the positives, but I'd personally take Saric ahead of both those guys. He's proven he can dominate at a very high level and he's only 20. It helps that his mentality is tough as nails and he's a born winner.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I really like hearing all this Serbian/Bosnian talent out there, representing strongly. I'll be rooting for Saric wherever he may end up, I've never seen him play or Jusuf but I hope they both get playing time to showcase what they have. I'm also hoping that Pete works out a trade to acquire a second round draft pick, he can definently find another gem in this year's second round just as he did with McCallum.

Cauley-Stein would have been excellent next to DeMarcus, but I wouldn't mind Clint Capela. 7th is a bit rich, though, and I happen to think there's some depth in the mid-card here where I wouldn't mind splitting the 7th into a mid-1st rounder and another pick. I have Capela 13th. When you see a Serge Ibaka variant, you jump and ask questions later, usually. Those are rare to get in free agency, so the best opportunities might come from the draft. Jokic and Nurkic are groundbound efficient types, and while I love their games, not for this team.

I also think we need a floor spacing four man because I'm of the belief that Rudy fits best at the high and DeMarcus at the low post, so there's that option. And no, Doug McDermott isn't an option. Not with the defense we have (not to mention that McDermott is one of those top 20 guys well--let's just lump him with Jerami Grant in my list). I like Adreian Payne more than my mock does, so I'll give him that benefit of the doubt, but he's a 20s pick and that requires a trade down. I'm not totally sold on Payne--he's grown a ton, but I don't think he has quite the ball skills to really make fulfill what people expect him to do in the league. Frye and David West, for starters, had far better assist rates coming out of college. But the guy has built a foundation of at-rim finishing, mid-range jumper, (possible) three point shooting, good free throw shooting, some shotblocking, and defense, that you really can't ignore him.

Ben McLemore by and large had a disastrous rookie year, and I know we've been having that Smart conundrum. I happen to be pro-Smart. He's not an uber athlete, but hey, for a 6'4" guard, dunking on 4.3% of your shots is right on average with most NBA SGs, so he isn't awful. The only thing is the Josh Smith-type jumpshooting-binging, but hey, that isn't stopping Aaron Gordon. I like Dante Exum a ton too (4th in my mock), so I'd be happy with either Smart or Exum. If we split down, go for Jordan Adams. Like the guy, but we need better passers, as a ton of Adams' shots are assisted. We have dunkers in Cousins and Gay and McLemore, so Adams 0 dunks this year won't be a problem.

Little disingenuous to post his %s as a 19yo as though they're relevant. He's had a much more important role this season and greater sample size and has posted very good numbers and solid %s. Neither Gordon nor Vonleh would have been capable of doing what he did this season, and more than likely couldn't in another year either. I do know you like to exaggerate every possible weakness and completely ignore the positives, but I'd personally take Saric ahead of both those guys. He's proven he can dominate at a very high level and he's only 20. It helps that his mentality is tough as nails and he's a born winner.
Saric is a winner. He says the right things, and he can rebound and pass the ball well by height. The thing about Saric, you have to ask, was this season a real sign of growth on the scoring front, or was it a fluke? Prior to this year, his scoring rates screamed poor NBA scorer, and frankly, throughout high-level play I'm not convinced about his jumper on multiple fronts. Also, I'm concerned about errors--foul issues, turnover issues. He's a bit sloppy. Turnover prone players tend to be the high upside players, but poor shooting and turnover proneness can easily undercut his offense especially with the step up in the NBA early on. He's intelligent and will learn, but whoever drafts him will go with the assumption that he'll make that leap. I've split the difference with Saric in the draft.

I think Stauskas could offensively play PG for us, defensively is a ???
There's something about Stauska's growth arc and personality intangibles which leads me to believe he'll reach the upper end of his upside eventually. And I happen to think that added passing wrinkle has been absolutely essential to skyrocketing his draft stock. I still have quibbles about his defense, but a JJ Redick type career isn't out of the question. Redick wasn't passing like this anywhere in his four years of Duke and honed his passing while in the league. Also, Stauskas has been hitting 2-point shots far better than Redick has, and has an inch on Redick. I just think this is a fairly deep draft, so his range is pretty volatile. There's a consensus he's a mid-1st rounder, but the depth of the draft even in the mid-card might push him into the late 1st round. But he has a ton of offensive savviness and that can offset the defensive concerns.

Saric is older so level of play at the same age gives more information about talent level.
His playmaking is very raw as is his shooting. Fact that he got 5 blocks in 1 game is impressive, but he still had only 13 in 27 games before. People routinely say to not give excessive weight to Tournament performance for college prospects, so I'm not going to overvalue a couple of games. People should also realize, that Adriatic League has pretty low level of competition, comparable to majors' level of play at best. In EuroCup, that is a couple of degrees tougher, Saric didn't look as impressive and his team was dealt with easily: 1 win in 10 games. My point: Saric is not out of this world talent, who is discriminated against due to being foreigner, but rather because he has obvious weaknesses, that doesn't look as bad this year though, so we need Combine measurements to get a feel of how he will translate.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Your views on Smart are just becoming warped at this stage, Baja. We get that you're not a fan, but lets not get irrational. There's no comparison between Smart and Napier as Sophomores, nor is there one when it comes to physical tools. You're better than this.
By no means was I comparing the two as far as their physical abilities. I was simply pointing out that Napier has won a national championship and and Smart, despite all his praise, hasn't won anything. Now I'm not laying all that on Smart. My dislike for Smart as a PG has nothing to do with that, although I think some GM's do take such things into account. My point was, that you have to give Napier his due. If my choice was between Napier and Smart, I would take Smart. Does that clarify it for you.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
He's not a PG and trying to put him there full time would have awful results.

Really don't get the Stauskas obsession. Guess he's this years KF crush.
What is it prey tell, that you don't like about Stauskas? Just curious. I value your opinion and we usually agree for the most part, Smart aside! He is a great passer, and actually did play lead guard for Mich at times this season. He's a terrific shooter and scorer. I'm not saying he's better than some listed above him, but when you get to the seventh spot, I'm not sure there are many players better than him. He still has upside, compared to the improvement he made between his freshman and sophmore seasons. Is he a serious need? Probably not, but as I said, he may be the best player available. Maybe!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Eh. It's nothing worse than what dean on draft wrote about Hood.

To me, Hood is a guy who likes to create his own mid-range shot off the dribble, and he does pass the ball quite well relative to size. He just plays...so lackadaisical. Like the game comes so easy for him, that he's able to coast and settle. For someone with length and smooth athleticism, he's literally bottom of the scrap heap by position in many categories. Steals, rebounds, shots at the rim (18.9% is a pathetic mark for someone that tall), dunk rate (4.1%). There are more informed mocks out there, and I see a general consensus that Hood's game seems to translate the poorest compared to other top 20 types.
I think I have to agree with Dime Dropper on this one. What's funny about the things you point out, is that before Hood transfered to Duke and sat out a year, he was known as a player that scored most of his points at the basket. So in his year off he worked on his shot creation and ability to score away from the basket. Which dramatically improved. Anyway, I don't think Hood is as athletiic as some ranked above him, including his running mate Parker. Just how good Hood will be in the NBA is anyone's guess, but I think at minimum, he'll be a good support player off the bench.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
There's something about Stauska's growth arc and personality intangibles which leads me to believe he'll reach the upper end of his upside eventually. And I happen to think that added passing wrinkle has been absolutely essential to skyrocketing his draft stock. I still have quibbles about his defense, but a JJ Redick type career isn't out of the question. Redick wasn't passing like this anywhere in his four years of Duke and honed his passing while in the league. Also, Stauskas has been hitting 2-point shots far better than Redick has, and has an inch on Redick. I just think this is a fairly deep draft, so his range is pretty volatile. There's a consensus he's a mid-1st rounder, but the depth of the draft even in the mid-card might push him into the late 1st round. But he has a ton of offensive savviness and that can offset the defensive concerns.
I'll bet you a meal at a McDonalds of your choice that Stauskas ends up being a lottery pick. If we go to my daughters we get a family discount. Interesting stat I read on some fourm about Stauskas. He's famous for his exploits in practice. In one practice session, he hit 70 out of 76 shots from beyond the arc. And once in the rain, (what, they have to practice outdoors?) he hit 46 in a row from beyond the arc. Look, I certainly didn't come into this college season thinking I would be spending much time talking about Nik Stauskas. But he blew my away this year. The only hole I can find in his game, is whether he'll be able to defend well enough at the next level. That doesn't mean he won't, if just means I don't know.

S

SacKings2002NBAChampions

Saric's upside is Dirk Nowitzki
I think it's hard to pass that up when you're drafting 7-9.
The only other player that might be available at that position that I'd pick in a heartbeat is Vonleh.
Other than that, Saric is the man. Cousins is going to be our post player. You'll see. Saric is also a hustler. He doesn't allow his man to beat him off the dribble and he contests every outside shot.
The thing that I like about him a lot is that he's a good perimeter defender as well. So, going up against the future Nowitzki's, Garnett's, Aldridge's, etc. Since we know Cousins doesn't like to venture out that far and play D beyond the post.
I also think that it'll only take him a year to find his fit and help Cousins lead this team. He's extremely unselfish and a great passing big man. Two great passing big men = success. Especially when your pg's are only mediocre passers. It's especially important if Ben Mac becomes that 3&D so it would be important to find Ben Mac when Cousins is triple teamed.

Saying this:Cousins
Saric
Gay
Ben Mac
Ray Mac

6th man: IT

That looks like a hell of a team.
Saric won't need a lot of shots which is important because Cosusins, Gay, Ben Mac and IT would be taking way too many shots and then Ray Mac is known to be quite the fire cracker on offense as well.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Saric is really getting a lot of praise around here. I haven't seen the kid play but it's always tempting to think the next big euro player is going to be a Dirk or Manu.

What is it prey tell, that you don't like about Stauskas? Just curious. I value your opinion and we usually agree for the most part, Smart aside! He is a great passer, and actually did play lead guard for Mich at times this season. He's a terrific shooter and scorer. I'm not saying he's better than some listed above him, but when you get to the seventh spot, I'm not sure there are many players better than him. He still has upside, compared to the improvement he made between his freshman and sophmore seasons. Is he a serious need? Probably not, but as I said, he may be the best player available. Maybe!
It's not that I don't like Stauskas - I do like him. I just don't think we'll be considering him where we're picking, especially since we have Ben and the FO is apparently high on him. If we didn't have Ben I'd be more interested in talking about him, but I just don't think we'll consider him. Could be wrong, but it's just my opinion. As for his game, I do like him. I like the fact that he's a fantastic shooter, can pass well for a SG and has solid handles. I like that he's shown tangible improvement every year and has a great attitude/work ethic. However I don't think his upside is as high as some others believe, and I worry about how he'll be defensively in the NBA. I just feel like the attention he's getting on this forum is disproportionate to how likely we are to draft him, nothing more, nothing less.