2013 NBA Draft thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the belief that there was this clear elite group at the top of the draft was purely artificial, I don't see McLemore being obviously better than Burke at all. People got caught up way too much with the hype. A player gets mentioned at the top of the draft for most of the year, and it just gets repeated and repeated by a bunch of media sources, and then it becomes some artificial truth. The hope with me on McLemore is just that he can defy what he's showed and learn to use his athleticism and shooting ability in more than just a Jason Richardson role. Thomas Robinson was considered a great value pick for us because he was mentioned so high in the draft for so long. Just because something gets repeated a lot as being true, doesn't make it so.
While that is true...I don't think you can compare McLemore to TRob. First and foremost McLemore has a defined position, unlike TRob. Add to that his fantastic size/athleticism and you've got something intriguing. Then add to all of that the fact that he's a skilled player with a fantastic shot and you've got a player you can build around.

I actually think that one of McLemore's biggest conceived 'weakness' is actually a strength for this team. People question whether or not he has that alpha-dog mentality to lead a team. Well...we've got Cousins for that. I'm perfectly happen if McLemore defers to the ball-handling of Tyreke and play-making of Cousins. He will fit perfectly as a great floor spacer who can score, defend his position, rebound the ball, and give us athletic plays.

So I know it feels like deja vu with McLemore, but he has a lot of things going for him that TRob didn't.

I love the McLemore pick...provided that the idea is to pair him up with Tyreke.
I would have loved to to get Noel to pair along-side Cousins...but I wasn't expecting to have an opportunity at McLemore...so I find myself very pleased with the pick.

However, when it came to the 2nd round pick I really wanted Withey. He's been unbelievable at Kansas the last two years and I think he would have had a great defensive impact for our team next to Cousins. I know that a lot of people think the Cole is as-good/better...but I'd take Withey over Cole. (Obviously)

With that said...I'm actually not horribly upset with the McCallum pick-up. At the end of the day, you want someone who can play basketball...so if he can play basketball then ideally he'll be an asset to us down the line.
But realistically...this FO has a ton of work ahead of itself. I'm really hoping that the drafting of McLemore & McCallum isn't some indication that the FO wants to let Tyreke walk...because if we lose Tyreke for nothing that will have made this whole thing a disaster.
But if the plan is to build around Cousins/Tyreke/McLemore...then we have a lot of work to do in regards to our glut of guards.

I want to give the FO the benefit of the doubt...so I'm not going to go crazy just yet...but I truly wish they would have picked up a player (in the 2nd round) who played a position which made more sense given our current roster.
I feel the same. I was hoping we'd be able to move up our second pick and take a shot on Gobert. Still sore after we didn't get a big dude to put next to Cousins last year (Drummond). To me the second pick was late enough that I find it hard to criticize even though I wanted a big defender. At that stage i think you just have to pick a guy who you think has the best chance of making it.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I'm not worried by our excess of guards. There were no decent SFs available,
Pish and tosh. the B.A. small forward would have been a better option at 36 than a seventh guard.
... and besides, our backcourt figures to clear up anyways. We can pretty much say goodbye to Jimmer, who is rumored to be on the trade block, IT's option can be declined and TD is a free agent...
So you say. I am rather less confident. In fact, it would be perfectly within the character of this franchise's history if the only guard that's gone at the start of training camp is the only one who shouldn't be.

A- for the draft.. Anytime you can get a consensus great talent of the draft at 7 its all good. Two weeks ago, maybe even a week ago McLemore's name wouldn't even be discussed, because the notion of acquiring him was moot. All the players that I was high on us drafting, like Burke and Adams, came with the thought that this dynamic kid from Kansas was out of reach. I think this is a step in the right direction of the new era
This is a tough draft to grade. McLemore was a no-brainer at 7. How do you grade the luck of 6 other teams passing on him? McCallum is a head-scratcher, not doubting his talent but his fit with this team. More than anything it really makes me worry that the front office is going to let IT and Reke walk for nothing and then go Nellie ball.

But again, two picks into the new regime is very very hard to assess what the plan is. If this was a Petrie draft I think we'd all be screaming at the McCallum pick (MORE guards!?!?) But as it is we have no idea what the plan is. And as little as a second round pick ever means, this one is a little worrisome for what it says about what direction this franchise is moving. We were all hoping for a new focus on defense- passing up a legit seven foot center known for his defense (who also happened to be teammates with our star pick) in favor of a 6'1 pg from a small school (classic Petrie pick) is cause for just a little worry. But a lot of people are low on Withey, maybe the FO is too and just didn't see him projecting to much in the NBA, and saw McCallum as BPA, which I'm okay with.

But again this stew ain't cooked yet and I'm willing to wait to see what happens in FA. My guess is IT, Thornton, Jimmer and Salmons are gone. I hope so so very much that Tyreke comes back but I'm starting to get worried.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
While that is true...I don't think you can compare McLemore to TRob. First and foremost McLemore has a defined position, unlike TRob. Add to that his fantastic size/athleticism and you've got something intriguing...
Since when is 6-4 and a half "fantastic" size for a SG?

Thomas Robinson didn't have an NBA position, part of his "slide" last season. I'd say in retrospect, his best NBA asset was hustle, which he displayed but he has a long way to go to be a decent, at best, NBA player.

Now McClemore already has two very strong NBA skills - shooting and athleticism. Athleticism that translates to the NBA right now. Shooting that translates right now. He will struggle to create his own shot at first, his biggest obstacle next season. If Malone can spark him on defense, like he did with Klay Thompson, the Kings have a future star.

Pish and tosh. the B.A. small forward would have been a better option at 36 than a seventh guard.

So you say. I am rather less confident. In fact, it would be perfectly within the character of this franchise's history if the only guard that's gone at the start of training camp is the only one who shouldn't be.
Come on Mr. Slim! Let's put some of VFs every present optimism into you. I think it's much more enjoyable to try and think that old ugly character of the franchise is gone. And hopefully that we build a better one and not something worse :) just how we think your fantasy team is gonna be rockin' this year :p

This is a tough draft to grade. McLemore was a no-brainer at 7. How do you grade the luck of 6 other teams passing on him? McCallum is a head-scratcher, not doubting his talent but his fit with this team. More than anything it really makes me worry that the front office is going to let IT and Reke walk for nothing and then go Nellie ball.

But again, two picks into the new regime is very very hard to assess what the plan is. If this was a Petrie draft I think we'd all be screaming at the McCallum pick (MORE guards!?!?) But as it is we have no idea what the plan is. And as little as a second round pick ever means, this one is a little worrisome, not for who we passed, but for what it says about what direction this franchise is moving. We were all hoping for a new focus on defense- passing up a legit seven foot center known for his defense (who also happened to be teammates with our star pick) in favor of a 6'1 pg from a small school (classic Petrie pick) is cause for just a little worry.

But again this stew ain't cooked yet and I'm willing to wait to see what happens in FA.
I don't think you have to worry about nellie ball happening with the Kings. They were part of the ownership group that brought Bogut to the Warriors. Look at the difference he made. Don't think that fact escaped Vivek and Malone. Watch the press conference and listen to what Pete says when he is asked about Tyreke and all the guards. The Tyreke answer might relax you a bit!

http://www.nba.com/kings/video/originals/

Sure, as long as we overpay for them. The problem, as I've stated repeatedly, is that Sacramento can't get player X for the same price as another team; you might as well consider it a "putting up with living in Sacramento" signing bonus (no offense, locals). We could use a young-ish SF with range, like Wright, or a defensive stopper, like Kirilenko. Could we actually get them? Sure, maybe. But, I guarantee you, whatever Kirilenko's price would be to play for, say, Dallas, it's going to be that + at least $4M for him to play in Sac.

So, that's your plan, is it?
Right... that's exactly what I said... Sacramento has to pay the most money. Always have, always will. Stop making it sound like this is just Sacramento's problem. Most teams in the NBA need to offer the most money to sign free agents.

While I don't disagree with your feelings, I'm hoping that our new FO will prove that they're more competent than the previous regime. I'm not excited but Im OK with McCallum for now. In 4 months, if we still have 7 guards, then I will have an issue.

I think the belief that there was this clear elite group at the top of the draft was purely artificial, I don't see McLemore being obviously better than Burke at all. People got caught up way too much with the hype. A player gets mentioned at the top of the draft for most of the year, and it just gets repeated and repeated by a bunch of media sources, and then it becomes some artificial truth. The hope with me on McLemore is just that he can defy what he's showed and learn to use his athleticism and shooting ability in more than just a Jason Richardson role. Thomas Robinson was considered a great value pick for us because he was mentioned so high in the draft for so long. Just because something gets repeated a lot as being true, doesn't make it so.
Its WHO is doing the picking that gives me faith in this pick.. A crew of highly intelligent ownership, apparently capable new front office, and a coach that I respect combining for this decision to the point where they were looking actively to move up to number 2 to get him. They didn't just take McLemore because of reputation, they actively sought him for some reason

While that is true...I don't think you can compare McLemore to TRob. First and foremost McLemore has a defined position, unlike TRob. Add to that his fantastic size/athleticism and you've got something intriguing. Then add to all of that the fact that he's a skilled player with a fantastic shot and you've got a player you can build around.

I actually think that one of McLemore's biggest conceived 'weakness' is actually a strength for this team. People question whether or not he has that alpha-dog mentality to lead a team. Well...we've got Cousins for that. I'm perfectly happen if McLemore defers to the ball-handling of Tyreke and play-making of Cousins. He will fit perfectly as a great floor spacer who can score, defend his position, rebound the ball, and give us athletic plays.

So I know it feels like deja vu with McLemore, but he has a lot of things going for him that TRob didn't.
Excellent point.

I agree, I think hes going too fit in just fine as our third option.

We should feel super lucky we got such a gifted athlete with such an efficient jumper at #7, thats a very rare combo too get in one player. He really does remind me of a younger Ray Allen, talent wise.

I'm most intrigued by his and Rekes defensive potential. heres some stats for Ben:

Held opponents to .250 FG% as an on-ball defender, best all players that defended at least 250 plays.
Allowed opponents to score .63 points per possession, compared to Oladipo's .85.

I love how humble he is too, he seems like hes got a great attitude towards life. Overall all I dont think I could be happier with our first selection. I think we should of taken Whithey(3.9 BPG) aswell with our second round pick but im sure our FO know what they are doing and they will address the shotblocker need in time.

Todays a good day for Kings fans.

Last edited:

I'm not saying it's going to turn out as bad as Robinson, but judging the pick as it's great because of how much McLemore was "mentioned" as a top 2 pick, just doesn't really mean much to me, that's just a media fabrication, and NBA teams just pissed all over the fantasy of some top draft tier. I don't see a huge difference between McLemore and Burke, and if it were me, I probably would have taken Burke.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Right... that's exactly what I said... Sacramento has to pay the most money. Always have, always will. Stop making it sound like this is just Sacramento's problem. Most teams in the NBA need to offer the most money to sign free agents.
It might as well be "just" Sacramento's problem. When's the last time we got a free agent that someone else wanted?

Take your time; I'll wait.

I don't think you have to worry about nellie ball happening with the Kings. They were part of the ownership group that brought Bogut to the Warriors. Look at the difference he made. Don't think that fact escaped Vivek and Malone. Watch the press conference and listen to what Pete says when he is asked about Tyreke and all the guards. The Tyreke answer might relax you a bit!

http://www.nba.com/kings/video/originals/
My biggest take away is that Pete and Vivek seem to have a little love affair going while Malone seems incredibly intense and not really too interested in the FO love-fest.

Also, Pete said that Tyreke is a great talent and these picks shouldn't reflect a lower opinion of the guards on the roster. But when asked about those same guards more generally he waffled, saying they're talented but "it was a 28-win season." So a little here and a little there.

Its WHO is doing the picking that gives me faith in this pick.. A crew of highly intelligent ownership, apparently capable new front office, and a coach that I respect combining for this decision to the point where they were looking actively to move up to number 2 to get him. They didn't just take McLemore because of reputation, they actively sought him for some reason
Did I say that's why the Kings picked him? No, I didn't.

You mean an owner/GM/coach that are all rookies at their respective positions? I have trouble granting absolute trust to even the most proven management, but a brand spanking new one that just got put together a few weeks ago inspires your absolute trust?

Since when is 6-4 and a half "fantastic" size for a SG?
Well...his combine height is 6'4.75"...so I'd rather round up to 6'5, and perhaps I should have said fantastic size for our team...when I think of the 3 guard line-ups we saw last season with both MT or Tyreke playing the 3 along-side IT and Jimmer. :)

But other than that...I believe that my statement still stands that comparing Ben to TRob doesn't make sense since Ben has both the size/skill/athleticism to play his position while TRob was never able to define his position and didn't really show he had the skills either.

Status
Not open for further replies.