Luc Richard Mbah A Moute to Sac for picks

What do you think of the front office now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is a good move and shows we're still trying to improve the squad defensively. We got good value in this trade and definitely filled a need, and after the recent moves/rumors this is a clear positive.

However, will he be our starting SF or not? That's a big question as unlike I others, I disagree we need a defensive, role playing SF who's not much of an offensive threat as our starting SF. That's what we needed when discussing a possible Reke/MLM backcourt. But now that we have Vasquez/MLM, we need a SF who can create for himself and others, a 2nd 1v1 scoring threat outside of Cuz. If Mbah is our starting SF, we don't have anyone at the 1, 2 or 3 who can create on their own and that's a problem. If Mbah is a backup SF to a YTD SF, it's a great pickup and adds depth.

But we need the 2nd 1v1 threat from the perimeter which we had and haven't replaced. A lockdown defender at SF who can get you 10pts is great, if it's next to two 1v1 players who can create off the iso. But that SF next to a role playing PG and a SG who can't create his own shot is less valuable.

Until we get that 2nd 1v1 threat we're basically relying on Cuz to turn into Dirk and put all role players on his back. And Dirk as great as he is, was in the league for over a decade until he was able to do that. Or imagine Duncan without Parker's penetration and 1v1 ability, and without Manu's ability off the dribble. In that scenario, a great role player like a Leonard is considerably less valuable.
Agree completely.

Im hoping Luc comes off the bench as a defender at the 2,3,4. We need #2 scoring option for sure in the starting 5. If we dont get one, thats putting way too much pressure on Ben to score.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
This is a good move and shows we're still trying to improve the squad defensively. We got good value in this trade and definitely filled a need, and after the recent moves/rumors this is a clear positive.

However, will he be our starting SF or not? That's a big question as unlike I others, I disagree we need a defensive, role playing SF who's not much of an offensive threat as our starting SF. That's what we needed when discussing a possible Reke/MLM backcourt. But now that we have Vasquez/MLM, we need a SF who can create for himself and others, a 2nd 1v1 scoring threat outside of Cuz. If Mbah is our starting SF, we don't have anyone at the 1, 2 or 3 who can create on their own and that's a problem. If Mbah is a backup SF to a YTD SF, it's a great pickup and adds depth.

But we need the 2nd 1v1 threat from the perimeter which we had and haven't replaced. A lockdown defender at SF who can get you 10pts is great, if it's next to two 1v1 players who can create off the iso. But that SF next to a role playing PG and a SG who can't create his own shot is less valuable.

Until we get that 2nd 1v1 threat we're basically relying on Cuz to turn into Dirk and put all role players on his back. And Dirk as great as he is, was in the league for over a decade until he was able to do that. Or imagine Duncan without Parker's penetration and 1v1 ability, and without Manu's ability off the dribble. In that scenario, a great role player like a Leonard is considerably less valuable.
I don't agree. I don't know about Vasquez or our 2nd round pick, but IT can beat anybody in the league off the dribble. McLemore is going to help him because he can spread the floor and hit the open J. And if Malone can have any influence in the matter of having our bigs setting the proper screens and then teach using screens after they are set, it's going to help IT that much more. Also, with Vasquez I can see the possibility of both McLemore and Mbah moving without the ball and getting (I hope) timely passes in the interior. I really think this can work, but not with an iso offense, that's for sure.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I don't agree. I don't know about Vasquez or our 2nd round pick, but IT can beat anybody in the league off the dribble. McLemore is going to help him because he can spread the floor and hit the open J. And if Malone can have any influence in the matter of having our bigs setting the proper screens and then teach using screens after they are set, it's going to help IT that much more. Also, with Vasquez I can see the possibility of both McLemore and Mbah moving without the ball and getting (I hope) timely passes in the interior. I really think this can work, but not with an iso offense, that's for sure.
IT is not nearly an adequate 2nd scoring threat, despite your claim he can beat anyone in the league off the dribble.

And I don't want to turn this into a conversation about IT, but we without a doubt need a better 2nd option next to Cuz than him. And we need that 2nd scoring threat in the starting lineup playing 35 mins per night. Hoping IT fills a Barea like role, which I know you like and he probably can have success in doing still relies on Cuz to morph into Dirk and carry all role players.

This move boosts our perimeter defense and was good value to us. Got Mbah for cheap. It doesn't nearly round out our starting lineup and answer our SF issue though.

Last edited:

Entity

Hall of Famer
my vote STILL is to trade Thornton for a starting SF. let luc come off bench at SF. MLM start at 2 and Salmons backing him up....hmmm. you know what that don't make us very injury proof at the 2.

Luc Mbah a Moute ‏@mbahamoute 58m

"Just landed in Cameroon and got told i've been traded to Sacramento!!!"

The Prince seems excited, judging by those exclamtion marks!

IT homerism aside, IT won't be starting outside of an injury to Vasquez. Right now, the lineup will probably be Vasquez, Thornton, Salmons, JT, Cousins. McLemore, A Moute, and IT will come in off the bench until McLemore can show that he is worthy of a starting spot. If the idea is to build the offense around Cousins, the pass-first PG is going to be the starter.

Love this move PDA! I remember hearing/reading Durant calling Moute the best defender in the league that he has went up against. My only concern is his health. I know he's had injury concerns the past few seasons. But for 2nd round picks? Steal.

my vote STILL is to trade Thornton for a starting SF. let luc come off bench at SF. MLM start at 2 and Salmons backing him up....hmmm. you know what that don't make us very injury proof at the 2.
I think Moute is a legit starter, with the right group on the floor. He's a bigger Tony Allen with less athleticism.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
IT is not nearly an adequate 2nd scoring threat, despite your claim he can beat anyone in the league off the dribble.

And I don't want to turn this into a conversation about IT, but we without a doubt need a better 2nd option next to Cuz than him. And we need that 2nd scoring threat in the starting lineup playing 35 mins per night. Hoping IT fills a Barea like role, which I know you like and he probably can have success in doing still relies on Cuz to morph into Dirk and carry all role players.

This move boosts our perimeter defense and was good value to us. Got Mbah for cheap. It doesn't nearly round out our starting lineup and answer our SF issue though.
We have a difference of opinion about IT's value as a penetrating guard. He has outstanding quickness. He did plenty fine in that area last year and if anything he should get better in that regard as he gets more experience in using screens and when he has better screeners.

Interesting idea, Salmons may be a decent option as the backup two. He brings what Mac dosent. Ballhandling and rim attack. If he can get back too playing how he played in Milwaukee 2 years ago, I would probably be down for keeping Johnny.. If we cant find a better upgrade of course.

IT homerism aside, IT won't be starting outside of an injury to Vasquez. Right now, the lineup will probably be Vasquez, Thornton, Salmons, JT, Cousins. McLemore, A Moute, and IT will come in off the bench until McLemore can show that he is worthy of a starting spot. If the idea is to build the offense around Cousins, the pass-first PG is going to be the starter.
I doubt Salmons starts. What A Moute brings is elite D against the Durants, Kobes, Carmelos, etc. of the league. That is completely wasted if he is on the bench.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Starting is irrelevant. And we don't know yet who is going to be playing with whom or how many minutes players will be getting. We'll have to hold our water on that one.

On the Bucks forum they look pretty mad about this trade, especially for what they got in return. So, I guess PDA did well here...

Love this move. We get a versatile, young yet expirienced, lockdown defensive SF, for peanuts. Maybe not my first choice, but good move nonetheless. Change my FO opinion to "Leaning positive."

Last edited:
Good role player. Can shut down 1 though 4 on D, and if you pair him with anyone but Hayes, the offense at forward will work itself out.

A move involving JT or Pat is now necessary. The team has it's 5 bigs, plus 2 combo forwards. If they can turn one big, and MT, into a better than Salmons swingman I'd come out of this happy. Sign a 7 foot defender, and you can live with him and Hayes as the 4th/5th bigs, considering Luc will be taking most of those minutes.

starting
Vasquez/Ben/NEW SF/JTorPat/Cuz

rotation
IT/Salmons/Luc/Landry

deep bench
CJ/Jimmer/Outlaw/Hayes/NEW C

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
We have a difference of opinion about IT's value as a penetrating guard. He has outstanding quickness. He did plenty fine in that area last year and if anything he should get better in that regard as he gets more experience in using screens and when he has better screeners.
Quickness doesn't confirm one's ability to be a 2nd scoring threat. If it did, Beaubois, Collison, Barea, Aaron Brooks, Harris, etc, would have had much bigger roles on their teams. Ronnie Price is pretty damn quick too. And you're saying he could get better at using screens and that should help. Well, a 2nd scoring threat who can score off iso's doesn't need that screen in the first place. He can create, period. And that's what we still need.

Last edited:
Quickness doesn't confirm one's ability to be a 2nd scoring threat. If it did, Beaubois, Collison, Barea, Aaron Brooks, Harris, etc, would have had much bigger roles on their teams. And you're saying he could get better at using screens and that should help. Well, a 2nd scoring threat who can score off iso's doesn't need that screen in the first place. He can create, period. And that's what we still need.
that's certainly what i would prefer, and a guy like tyreke evans provided that kind of threat (not to mention two-way ability), but i'm not sure it's "what we still need." the kings can get by with any of a variety of second options. i just don't happen to see a starter-quality second option on this roster, unless mclemore simply lights it up during his rookie season. i'm just not ready to believe that mclemore is equipped for that role as of yet...

Quickness doesn't confirm one's ability to be a 2nd scoring threat. If it did, Beaubois, Collison, Barea, Aaron Brooks, Harris, etc, would have had much bigger roles on their teams. And you're saying he could get better at using screens and that should help. Well, a 2nd scoring threat who can score off iso's doesn't need that screen in the first place. He can create, period. And that's what we still need.
You mentioned Devin Harris, former All-Star and 20 ppg scorer, who also happens to be the fastest and quickest player in league history. Not debunking your statement, which is correct, but Harris isn't the example you should use.

Last edited:
The Nerd has redeemed himself!
some of this is a bit outta hand. trading for richard luc mbah a moute is one step of many that needs to occur. the kings need quality defensive roleplayers, with an emphasis in the plural. the roster is still a mess that needs considerable sorting out, and while acquiring mbah a moute for a pair of second rounders is definitely a good trade, it also does nothing to clear up the team's various positional logjams. the nerd will have "redeemed himself" when we have a clearer sense that the roster can succeed at improving in the areas where the team most needs improvement...

edit: i'll also be more satisfied when i stop hearing monta ellis' name linked to the sacramento kings. when he signs elsewhere, i'll be a happier fan, but it would still only mean that PDA failed to do something stupid, rather than attempted to do something right...

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Luc Mbah a Moute ‏@mbahamoute 58m

"Just landed in Cameroon and got told i've been traded to Sacramento!!!"

The Prince seems excited, judging by those exclamtion marks!
It's cold in Milwaukee and it isn't exactly a tourist attraction unless you just want to go there to drink beer.

Depth chart for me is easy, except for the Bigs

PG: Vasquez, IT Deep: Roy
SG: McLemore,Thorton Deep: Jimmer
SF: Moute,Salmons Deep: Outlaw
PF: Patterson.Laundry
C: Big Cuz, JT Deep: Hayes

I guess for the Bigs, it depends whether you need the extra Height with JT to start
or whether you need the shooting of Patterson for spacing

Maybe will depend on matchups, but regardless You would need either Cuz or JT to atleast have one tall Big at all times
JT can play both C and PF which may work out ok

And of course this assumes Mclemore will progress to the starting spot sooner than later

The Nerd has redeemed himself!
Uhhh no.. not quite...... Theres still alot of work too be done. We'll see how it turns out. But I do like The Prince addition. At least it confirms PDA isnt totally oblivious too defense. Im hoping he really is the Bobby Fischer Vivek said he is.

Last edited:
Don't know why people are posting rotations. This roster is far from being final. At least two or three more players are on their way out. Maybe more