Evans for Vasquez

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, it seems the last thing we're committed to is defense. Actually, it seems like our FO has no ****ing clue what they're doing right now and what their priorities are.

We're about to quickly turn into a run and gun, non defensive basketball squad which isn't good enough to compete with the best, nor bad enough to get a high pick and replace the star talent we just traded away. We're heading towards the deadzone, not contending, not rebuilding and acquiring star talent, and some will eat it up because it will be pretty. They love their up and down, fast breaking, high scoring basketball. Pretty ball. Yet, it's won nothing in this league.
It's still only July 4th. Long way to go before any judgement can be made about the direction of the team.

I wonder if the cash is enough to pay the difference of an amnestied Salmons that gets signed by a team for 3 mil
That would be nice. It's the kind of stuff that goes on behind the scenes where I'm hoping for a change from the old ownership. Maloofs would have pocketed that money. I'm hoping Vivek will use it to improve the team.

We need to stop comparing Evans and Vasquez. Not fair to either guy, really. We chose to not resign Evans and got Vasquez for free. This is what happened here. It was a free asset we received after previously deciding we wouldn't pay Evans that kind of money.

We wouldn't have traded Vasquez for Evans had the number on Evans been something PDA wanted.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
It's still only July 4th. Long way to go before any judgement can be made about the direction of the team.
If you can't see the direction this team is heading, I'd argue you're blind.

The writing is on the wall for all to see if you're willing to look.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We need to stop comparing Evans and Vasquez. Not fair to either guy, really. We chose to not resign Evans and got Vasquez for free. This is what happened here. It was a free asset we received after previously deciding we wouldn't pay Evans that kind of money.

We wouldn't have traded Vasquez for Evans had the number on Evans been something PDA wanted.
Exactly. And consider this: In recent years, we have all bemoaned the fact that our front office did little to nothing in the free agency pool. Now, we're in there swimming with the sharks. They're at least in the game. I'd rather see them approach guys like AI and Calderon, regardless of the outcome, than just sit with their toes barely in the water. :)

BTW, it seems the last thing we're committed to is defense. Actually, it seems like our FO has no ****ing clue what they're doing right now and what their priorities are.

We're about to quickly turn into a run and gun, non defensive basketball squad which isn't good enough to compete with the best, nor bad enough to get a high pick and replace the star talent we just traded away. We're heading towards the deadzone, not contending, not rebuilding and acquiring star talent, and some will eat it up because it will be pretty. They love their up and down, fast breaking, high scoring basketball. Pretty ball. Yet, it's won nothing in this league.
I don't know, I think we are still firmly in the lottery for at least another year. If there is a plan at work here it seems more like a tank job than anything else. We just let our second best player walk, and it is unlikely we sign any FA's of significance at this point.

Ideally we will get a high draft pick next year, and have the cap room to keep Cousins and also round out the roster.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Disregard my previous snark. I hadn't seen this when I posted it.

New snark: And you're totally convinced this is what's going to happen when we've been into free agency for four days? Sorry, but I'm going to wait a while before I declare this new front office to be total failures.

If you can't see the direction this team is heading, I'd argue you're blind.

The writing is on the wall for all to see if you're willing to look.
They did offer Iguodala a contract, so I'm confused at why you think they are trying to build a run-n-gun, no defense kind of team. We're all disappointed in losing Evans, but it could have been the FO decided Evans and Cousins simply can't work together and Evans would hamper the development of Cousins.

Exactly. And consider this: In recent years, we have all bemoaned the fact that our front office did little to nothing in the free agency pool. Now, we're in there swimming with the sharks. They're at least in the game. I'd rather see them approach guys like AI and Calderon, regardless of the outcome, than just sit with their toes barely in the water. :)
I agree to an extent. Being aggressive in free agency is a great change. But letting talent go to have space only works if players ultimately decide to want to play here. The maloofs and Petrie cleared salary as well and for all we know they tried to get guys too (Geoff never shared much) but we ended up with salary space that we had to fill with mid level talent.

Too early to say that happens here but I just don't know that swapping young talent for space is the best move a small market can make.

I can't believe that so many people are complaining. We have a new starting PG who was top 5? in AST and AST/TO ratio and if we ditch Salmons, we'll have almost 20M in cap space to get another player! It's like you people really think that a new coach alone was going to change a 28 win team into a playoff team overnight. Give me a break. Malone will change the culture, no doubt, but sometimes you NEED new players.

I can't believe that so many people are complaining. We have a new starting PG who was top 5? in AST and AST/TO ratio and if we ditch Salmons, we'll have almost 20M in cap space to get another player! It's like you people really think that a new coach alone was going to change a 28 win team into a playoff team overnight. Give me a break. Malone will change the culture, no doubt, but sometimes you NEED new players.
I guess I have trouble seeing how you can not see any problem with what has taken place thus far. 1) We went after Calderon! 2) When we couldnt get him, we settle on letting our best guard go for something that we really didnt want. 3) Vasquez had 2 ankle surgeries this summer and was already not athletic. 4) While he had a decent AST/TO, he broke his franchise record for turnovers. 5) 20Mill is nice and all, if there was something to spend it on.

Just sayin. The glass could also be half empty.

That's exactly what many people here thought was the worst part of the team. Sad.

Just speaking for myself, I'm upset because I think Reke had more value either playing for us or as a trade piece on the open market. I think small markets have challenges that are rarely filled through cap flexibility alone. Too hard to convince the best players to play here. I would have liked to try and use him with a good coach/team and if that failed try moving him.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
They did offer Iguodala a contract, so I'm confused at why you think they are trying to build a run-n-gun, no defense kind of team. We're all disappointed in losing Evans, but it could have been the FO decided Evans and Cousins simply can't work together and Evans would hamper the development of Cousins.
That might be a lot closer to the truth than some want to believe. NO front office gets every single player they want and has all their proposals accepted. At least our front office is doing something. They're not done, folks. Vivek rose to the occasion to keep this team in Sacramento. There were a lot of bumps in the road that went on behind the scenes to make that come true. Why not allow him a fair chance to do the same with rebuilding our team? It's not gonna be an overnight process. Our roster, with a couple of exceptions, is pure crap ... unmatched pieces with no logic or reason. Give PDA and the rest a fair opportunity to make things better before you throw in the towel.

I guess I have trouble seeing how you can not see any problem with what has taken place thus far. 1) We went after Calderon! 2) When we couldnt get him, we settle on letting our best guard go for something that we really didnt want. 3) Vasquez had 2 ankle surgeries this summer and was already not athletic. 4) While he had a decent AST/TO, he broke his franchise record for turnovers. 5) 20Mill is nice and all, if there was something to spend it on.

Just sayin. There glass could also be half empty.
They were never going to match NO's offer. They got an asset instead of watching Evans walk. They were losing him either way, they just got something in return.

That's exactly what many people here thought was the worst part of the team. Sad.
Coach Smart was not a good coach. Not at all. Am I glad to see him go? Absolutely. Will Malone make a difference? YES!!! But having the EXACT same players isn't going to suddenly give us 10-15 more wins than last year. And even that doesn't even make the playoffs and we're just the Bucks of the West, happy to be close or in the playoffs as the 8th seed every year, if that. We need to mix things up with new players for our NEW coach and our NEW owners!

Status
Not open for further replies.