Evans for Vasquez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vasquez had higher usage than Tyreke.
Even IT had higher usage than Tyreke last year.
And paying 11m/year for someone like Tyreke...when you look at championship teams is a bargain.
We are not a championship team, and Tyreke is not a made player, we are trying to create stars. Cousins has the tools to be a star C/PF(size, quickness, midrange jumper, elite rebounding instincts, good passer when he wants to be), McLemore has the tools to be the prototypical star SG (good off the ball movement, great stroke, elite athlete, wingspan). Cousins also has that star mentality and fire(needs to learn how to harness it correctly). We still need to see if McLemore has that at the NBA level.

So what tools does Tyreke have to be considered an elite pg/ball handler

High B Ball IQ? No
Great ball handling? Yes
Scoring threat from anywhere on the floor? No
Fire/Intensity? No

Tyreke's best tools would allow him to be a 3rd option on a good team, you guys want him to be our Lebron or Wade. Big mistake.

I have no idea what we would have been last season with a great coach. And neither do you. Thus the trouble with living in the "what if" world.

We've been a perennial loser for a long while now. From our owners, to FO, to coaching, to our players, it has been nothing but a losing culture for this franchise. So while living in "what if" land is nice to save our collective minds from going bonkers, it doesn't mean we should scoff at winning 12+ games more than we did last season. That's a HUGE step forward for our franchise and getting this team back on the right track. We aren't a team that's full of 30+ year old, middle of the road talents either like our teams through the middle 00's. Virtually the entire roster has a window to continue to improve as players for several years
So basically you're not going to answer the question.

That's fine, I think it's because you know that we would have been a better team with more wins.

I, in fact, KNOW we would have been better with a great coach...to say otherwise is to just be contrary for contrary's sake.

Pointing at being twelve games better next season as opposed to the last season is completely meaningless if we should have been 8 games better last season via our roster, but weren't due to bad management and coaching.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Just imagine if this core goes out and wins 40 games next season and Cousins is an all-star, McLemore is ROY....

Oh wait. forgot. There's no chance this team can be any good. Doom and gloom.
Wow, for a minute there, just a glimpse of sunshine! Back to the cave!

A single player will not determine how many games a whole team wins....
A combination of multiple players put together by a system with chemistry wins games.
Hopefully the coach can put together a system that puts it all together. :D

Everyone needs to step back and look at the big picture here. I'm a HUGE Tyreke Evans fan, wore his jersey to the grocery store yesterday...and I live in Georgia! I'm excited about this situation. Vasquez has some things going for him. He's 6'6 and is a pass first distributing point guard that fills up the stat sheet. We just drafted McLemore who is projected to be a knock down shooter and explosive finisher around the basket. We're obviously structuring this team around DMC who I'm confident is going to be the premier player at his position. We have a glaring hole at SF and it looks like the FO is going to have lots of money to fill it. Im apprehensive about this whole trade but it feels like its going to work. Our coach preaches defense and I'd argue that so far only Vasquez is a below average defender. PDA is being aggressive and it's still VERY early in the free agency period. It's entirely possible that PDA sees something that we don't. I'm optimistic.

Wow, for a minute there, just a glimpse of sunshine! Back to the cave!
Hey Baja...quick question.

Let's say that all of those things do happen next year?

Is the argument that those things couldn't have happened if we'd re-signed Tyreke?

I mean...we all expect Cousins to be an all-star. B-Mac being ROY...maybe...I'm not going to count on it. So what exactly is the argument here?

Again...I'm currently in the wait-and-see crowd. If we don't get anything from the cap-space then this is not a good move...because...we could just re-sign Tyreke and get better value from him later.

So basically you're not going to answer the question.

That's fine, I think it's because you know that we would have been a better team with more wins.

I, in fact, KNOW we would have been better with a great coach...to say otherwise is to just be contrary for contrary's sake.

Pointing at being twelve games better next season as opposed to the last season is completely meaningless if we should have been 8 games better last season via our roster, but weren't due to bad management and coaching.
Of course we would be a better team. I'm pretty sure my 5 year old newphew could have coached last year's team to 30 wins.

That doesn't matter though. Our team won 28 games last season. Not 35 like you think we should of. Or 38 like someone else might think we should have won. 28. I don't expect this team to go win 50 games next year and neither should you. That's unfair to our new regime and the players. We're starting from ground zero on rebuilding the culture in Sacto. That doesn't happen over night

Well since we were one of the worse passing teams in the league last season, maybe having someone on the team that actually passes the ball isn't such a bad thing. Everyone complained that IT shot the ball too much, not your complaining that Vasquez passes the ball too much. D'Allesandro stated that he wanted more ball movement. Well one way to accomplish that is to get players that want to pass the ball. Your acting like this move is the end of the world. My god, have you all just lost your minds? Tyreke Evans wasn't Michael Jordan. Not even close! He was a good player, and one of my favorites on the team, but the team will go on, and maybe, just maybe, the new management has other things in the works.

They said they were going to change the culture of this team. Did you think they were going to do that by hanging a poster on the wall with proper instructions on how to conduct yourself. No! They're going to change players along with with everything else. I'll tell you, I'm starting to hunger for the do nothing days of Petrie. At least I didn't have to listen to a bunch overreacting crazy people. Its july 4th for gods sake. And I might point out, regardless of what anyone has had to endure over the last 5 or 6 years, this ownership group had nothing to do with it, and they deserve a clean slate. Just because your impatient, don't expect them to build a playoff team overnight. Its going to take some time.
Agreed.

This board exploded like we have traded Lebron for Vazquez. I love Tyreke and believe that he has great talent, but i'm willing to wait and see what will happen this coming season. I believe that they (FO) have decided to build around Cousins and will start bringing in people that will complement him.

We are not a championship team, and Tyreke is not a made player, we are trying to create stars. Cousins has the tools to be a star C/PF(size, quickness, midrange jumper, elite rebounding instincts, good passer when he wants to be), McLemore has the tools to be the prototypical star SG (good off the ball movement, great stroke, elite athlete, wingspan). Cousins also has that star mentality and fire(needs to learn how to harness it correctly). We still need to see if McLemore has that at the NBA level.

So what tools does Tyreke have to be considered an elite pg/ball handler

High B Ball IQ? No
Great ball handling? Yes
Scoring threat from anywhere on the floor? No
Fire/Intensity? No

Tyreke's best tools would allow him to be a 3rd option on a good team, you guys want him to be our Lebron or Wade. Big mistake.
Just going to ditch the whole usage argument? Probably a good idea.

And you find more guys with Reke's skill set on championship contenders than you do Vasquez. What star shooting guards currently have macs skill set vs reke's. I think most of the reke supporters would be fine with Reke being the second or third option on our team. I think 11M is fine to pay for that.

Last edited:
Ok... now that im done sobbing like a little girl from watching hours of Reke memories on youtube.. while listening to whitney houston "I will always Love you" on repeat.. I think my emotions are a little more in check to RE-comment on the trade.

I hated the trade at first, but I think im slowly starting to like it. IF the rumors of getting all the freed up capspace are indeed true.

Ive seen enough of Vasquez last year too tell you guys, we are getting an amazing floor general that will bring up the value of every player on this team with his passing. A double double machine and near triple double threat anytime he steps on the floor. The only negative I have with him is he defends like a 3rd grader. But hopefully we can sorround him with defensive players to mask it.

Mclemore and Cousins will benefit the most from this trade. Pick and roll, Lobs, finding cutters, finding players off screens, fast break outlet passes are all things Grievas is Elite at. Cousins job especially, just got ALOT easier, at least offensively.

As for the capspace.

We need too find a way too get a SF with it, most likely VIA trade and just absorbing a contract. After replacing Reke With Vaz, the type of SF we need has changed a bit IMO.

We are going too need a Scorer (17-20 PPG prefferably) to keep up to par offensively with other teams, one with good defensive instincts should be a priority as well. Someone that can create his own shot off the dribble and can break down a defense. Player types that come too my mind are (Paul George, Carmelo, Deng, Gay, Harris, Hayward, Granger, Wiggins

I know its sad to lose Reke because he was so faithful too us, while we crawled through hell... You grow attached to someone in a profound way,when they go through a struggle with you...

I think thats why its soo hard too imagine Tyreke gone

it would of been the greatest bittersweet victory ever to see Reke eventually raise that championship trophy in a Kings uniform... but I guess thats just life. Its time for a new Era a new war.

I really do hope Reke does well in NO, and when we play him he ABSOLUTELY destroys us. I think in the end, when the dust settles and we look back on this trade we will say this was a good move towards our goal.

Anyways, lets us just breath and sit back and see what unfolds. I really hope PDA is a good chess player.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Well, here I disagree. He's 26. He's young. Especially for a PG. Want some comparison? Like someone else likes to do, I'll post the stats of 3 players when they were 26 years old.

PLAYER 1: 27.4 min 0.477 FG% 0.403 3FG% 0.882 FT% 8.6 PPG 4.9 APG 2.2 RPG 0.7 SPG 1.82 TO 4th year in the league

PLAYER 2: 34.4 min 0.433 FG% 0.342 3FG% 0.805 FT% 13.9 PPG 9.0 APG 4.3 RPG 0.8 SPG 3.17 TO 3rd year in the league

PLAYER 3: 37.2 min 0.475 FG% 0.233 3FG% 0.568 FT% 10.6 PPG 11.2 APG 4.4 RPG 2.2 SPG 3.44 TO 5th year in the league

Player #1 is Steve Nash, which shows you that a player can get much better even after his 26th birthday. Player #2 of course is Vasquez. Player #3 is Rajon Rondo, a guy pretty much everybody woudn't have any problem trading for Tyreke. Are those stats so different? Of course he played in a better team (btw, it should be easier to get assists with good teammates like Ray Allen and Pierce), and I'm not sayng he is or he will be like Nash or Rondo. I'm just saying that sometimes the so called big names look so much better, but the reality might be a little different.
Like I said before, I would never trade Evans for Vasquez straight up. But, if they decided he is not part of our future, we could have landed one of the best underrated pass first PG in the league, a floor general that will make his teammates better instead of letting him walk for free.
Great post. Pretty good stats by Vazquez and there were not a lot of scoring options on that team. Eric Gordon is similar to Reke in that you give him the all and he tries to create his own shot 1 on 5. R Anderson is a solid offensive player. Aminu, a Davis, RLopez, rivers, not terribly offensive minded players.

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA 1 minute ago

Free agent Jose Calderon passed on chance to sign w/ Kings, clearing way for Sacramento to complete 3-way deal w/ Pelicans, sources tell Y!

Kings wanted to sign Calderon, and move Pelicans' Greivis Vasquez elsewhere in three-way deal, sources tell Y! Sports.

Looks like Vasquez wasn't even our first choice.

Ok... now that im done sobbing like a little girl from watching hours of Reke memories on youtube.. while listening to whitney houston "I will always Love you" on repeat.. I think my emotions are a little more in check to RE-comment on the trade.

I hated the trade at first, but I think im slowly starting to like it. IF the rumors of getting all the freed up capspace are indeed true.

Ive seen enough of Vasquez last year too tell you guys, we are getting an amazing floor general that will bring up the value of every player on this team with his passing. A double double machine and near triple double threat anytime he steps on the floor. The only negative I have with him is he defends like a 3rd grader. But hopefully we can sorround him with defensive players to mask it.

Mclemore and Cousins will benefit the most from this trade. Pick and roll, Lobs, finding cutters, finding players off screens, fast break outlet passes are all things Grievas is Elite at. Cousins job especially, just got ALOT easier, at least offensively.

As for the capspace.

We need too find a way too get a SF with it, most likely VIA trade and just absorbing a contract. After replacing Reke With Vaz, the type of SF we need has changed a bit IMO.

We are going too need a Scorer (17-20 PPG prefferably) to keep up to par offensively with other teams, one with good defensive instincts should be a priority as well. Someone that can create his own shot off the dribble and can break down a defense. Player types that come too my mind are (Paul George, Carmelo, Deng, Gay, Harris, Hayward, Granger, Wiggins

I know its sad to lose Reke because he was so faithful too us, while we crawled through hell... You grow attached to someone in a profound way,when they go through a struggle with you...

I think thats why its soo hard too imagine Tyreke gone

it would of been the greatest bittersweet victory ever to see Reke eventually raise that championship trophy in a Kings uniform... but I guess thats just life. Its time for a new Era a new war.

I really do hope Reke does well in NO, and when we play him he ABSOLUTELY destroys us. I think in the end, when the dust settles and we look back on this trade we will say this was a good move towards our goal.

Anyways, lets us just breath and sit back and see what unfolds. I really hope PDA is a good chess player.
great post.

Free agent Jose Calderon passed on chance to sign w/ Kings, clearing way for Sacramento to complete 3-way deal w/ Pelicans, sources tell Y!

This report is not helpful in my confidence level in our new FO.

Kings wanted to sign Calderon, and move Pelicans' Greivis Vasquez elsewhere in three-way deal, sources tell Y! Sports.

thats so weak. just giving Tyreke away and settling for whatever we could get

Question... are the pelicans the only team we would be allowed to sign and trade tyreke with. There has to be more offers on the table and ultimately tyreke has to agree to any transaction correct?

as fun as comparing a highschool kid to the #7 pick in the 2013 nba draft.

I'm not sure you have any idea what you are talking about, straw man. Wiggins is probably the biggest prospect since LeBron himself. There will be TONS of tanking going on next year, I can guarantee you that.

Odd. Would much rather have Vasquez on his cheap contract than Calderon. Jose is really bad on defense, worse than Vasquez.

Odd. Would much rather have Vasquez on his cheap contract than Calderon. Jose is really bad on defense, worse than Vasquez.
Yeah and at least Vasquez has some potential upside. I'm glad we ended up with him but if he was their 2nd option behind Jose, whatever faith I had left in PDA is quickly fading.

Status
Not open for further replies.