Kings in mix for Iguodala

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of teams there, and you'd imagine we would naturally be one of them given our needs at SF and his fit. It's hard to see him picking us over some of those teams if the offers are all the same. Lots of work to be done before we can even offer him anything, anyway. Lets hope PDA has some pull due to the familiarity, but I'm not sure how much clout he'd have with players, even ones he has worked with. Have to wait and see but it might be the biggest FA signing we've ever pulled off (not that that's saying a lot, and not saying he'd have the impact Vlade had).

Amick also tweeted this shortly after:

Sam Amick@sam_amick28m
Rockets (and Mavs) obviously have bigger priorities first, and Warriors showed a little interest in Iguodala but that won't be happening
If we get Reke sorted out early, we may have an advantage over some teams. Then again, might just be wishful thinking too.

Last edited:
Kings will have to overpay, and for that help from Denver is needed, who stated they would like Iggy back. Don't expect him to end up in Sacramento.

Kings will have to overpay, and for that help from Denver is needed, who stated they would like Iggy back. Don't expect him to end up in Sacramento.
The Kings have a new coach, a good big man, a rabid fan base and are getting a new arena. It isn't totally outside the realm of possibility that Iggy will sign with the Kings.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Iguodala makes it clear he won't return to Denver I wonder if the Nuggets would be interested in a sign-and-trade for Thornton.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
If Iguodala makes it clear he won't return to Denver I wonder if the Nuggets would be interested in a sign-and-trade for Thornton.
In some ways it seems unlikely (I worry that Thornton's contract is a bit larger than his market value), but the Nuggets do have their fair share of SFs without a whole lot on their roster resembling a true SG. In fact, discounting a couple of guys they never use, if they lose Iggy and Brewer to free agency, their wing rotation is Gallinari, Chandler, Fournier. You can kind of plug-and-play wings, and it doesn't always hurt to be big at the SG, but they might like to have a knock-down shooter like Thornton in the mix there. So there's at least a chance, and getting rid of MT23's contract would be a big first step in creating the cap room to bring Iggy here.

There's a thread in the personnel forum suggesting a Thornton and JT package for Iggy. A bit pricey for Denver, but gives them two decent pieces that serve needs (a true SG and a solid third big behind Faried and JaVale now that Koufous is gone).

The last time I remember suggesting S&Ts with Denver in this forum was Mobley for a raw, young up and comer named Nene. Too bad that never happened...

I'm not sure we'll have enough cap space to sign Iguodala. If we amnesty Salmons, release Johnson, release Douglas, release Aldrich, and don't pick up Thomas' team option, we'll have a payroll of 40 mil. Factor in Evans' cap hold and we'll be sitting at just under 47 mil. That's approximately 11 mil in cap room. I'm not sure that is enough to lure Iguodala here. We could always backload the crap out of the contract, but I've never been a fan of giving those contracts to players that are on the verge of exiting their primes.

If we want to have a better chance at signing Iguodala, we would have to trade some of our pieces for instant cap relief. That's the only way I could see this working.

Iggy is going to get paid no matter which team signs him. But not every team on that list has a wide open - no competition at SF spot. And how aggressive will a team go after him?

Houston is locked in on Howard first.

Denver might not be willing to pay big with Gallinari coming back sooner than expected after surgery went well.

Warriors have Barnes pushing for that SF spot after having a good playoffs.

That leaves the Kings, Hawks, Mavs and Pelicans as teams that would lock him down as their starting SF going forward. Although the Hawks may have to deal with Josh Smith before going after Iggy. None of these teams are in the hunt for a championship. The Mavs are borderline playoff team and Hawks may be back again depending on what happens in free agency. The Pelicans and the Kings have very good young talent and could get a big boost from locking down Iggy.

I guess the deciding factor will be whatever team believes the most in what he can bring as a guy who turns 30 next January.

Iggy is going to get paid no matter which team signs him. But not every team on that list has a wide open - no competition at SF spot. And how aggressive will a team go after him?

Denver might not be willing to pay big with Gallinari coming back sooner than expected after surgery went well.

That leaves the Kings, Hawks, Mavs and Pelicans as teams that would lock him down as their starting SF going forward. Although the Hawks may have to deal with Josh Smith before going after Iggy. None of these teams are in the hunt for a championship. The Mavs are borderline playoff team and Hawks may be back again depending on what happens in free agency. The Pelicans and the Kings have very good young talent and could get a big boost from locking down Iggy.

I guess the deciding factor will be whatever team believes the most in what he can bring as a guy who turns 30 next January.
Iguodala can play both SG and SF, not that it matters for the Houston and Warriors argument (Harden and K. Thompson). I think Iguodala is more well suited to play SG where his size, length, and strength are an advantage. I'm sure Denver is looking to bring back Iguodala with the intention of trotting out a Lawson, Iguodala, & Gallinari lineup with Miller and Chandler being the main players off the bench. Fournier and Hamilton would receive spot minutes and possibly be trade options or replacements of players they are looking to trade (Chandler).

I would love to have:
Tyreke
BenMac
Iggy
P-Pat
Cousins

Iggy seems like the kind that wants to REALLY get paid. I do not think the Kings will overpay for him.

while re-signing tyreke and signing iggy would take some serious salary cap calisthenics, i'd certainly prefer that to overpaying for iggy just to watch 'reke walk out the door. but, in that scenario, i could at least stomach the loss of 'reke, despite the fact that iggy's age and the likelihood of a decline in his production is hardly a fair swap, given what we'd have to pay him...

i'd definitely much rather overpay 'reke than iggy, but if the FO has designs on letting 'reke walk and bringing in iggy's veteran defensive presence, it's not the worst plan available. the time to think about winning is now, after all, while demarcus cousins has every intention of remaining in sacramento...

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Wonder if this will have any bearing at all in Iggy's willingness to possibly play here. He and Reke went to China together a couple years ago. Spent about a week together there with a small group.

Last edited:
"I love shooters and guys who attack the rim," D'Alessandro said. "McLemore and Evans seems to make a lot of sense."

With Evans' situation and free agency in mind, D'Alessandro declined to pick up the options on James Johnson and Toney Douglas.

"You can always re-sign a guy," he said, "and we want to be one of those teams that gets out there and really goes after guys. I never worry about having too much talent. The talent has to blend, true, but I have creative coaches. And, look, we have a lot of work ahead, a lot of work ahead. We're going to be out there."

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/06/30/5534480/ailene-voisin-dalessandro-plans.html#storylink=cpy

bajaden

Hall of Famer
There's a thread in the personnel forum suggesting a Thornton and JT package for Iggy. A bit pricey for Denver, but gives them two decent pieces that serve needs (a true SG and a solid third big behind Faried and JaVale now that Koufous is gone).

The last time I remember suggesting S&Ts with Denver in this forum was Mobley for a raw, young up and comer named Nene. Too bad that never happened...
Doesn't make sense to me. You fill a hole at SF, and then create a hole at PF. That kind of thinking needs to stop. At the moment, Iggy is an unrestricted freeagent. That means he can walk and Denver gets nothing in return. We would be offering them a chance to get back a player that can put the ball in the basket. Denver is currently sitting at just slightly under 52 million in payroll, and thats without including Iggy. If you add Thorntons salary, they're right up there at just under 60 mil. The only true SG they have on the team is Fournier, and he was a rookie last season. So its possible that they might go for Thornton. But I'm not just giving away JT to make it happen. Its time to start getting on the winning side of trades!!!!!!

bajaden

Hall of Famer

The Mav's have the most cap room, and at the moment, they're borderline nothing. They only have 4 players under contract. Nowitzki, Marion, Carter, and Crowder. I think in the immediate, the Mav's have bigger fish to fry. Now if the Howard thing gets resolved quickly, and they lose out, then they might turn their attention to Iggy. But they have no center on the team, much less a back up center. My guess is that if they lose out on Howard, they fill out the roster with cheap players, get in the lottery, and try to make a big splash in the free agent market next year. Cuban has stated that he wants a contending team in 2014.

It may come down to just New Orleans and the Kings. I guess we'll see!

The Mav's have the most cap room, and at the moment, they're borderline nothing. They only have 4 players under contract. Nowitzki, Marion, Carter, and Crowder. I think in the immediate, the Mav's have bigger fish to fry. Now if the Howard thing gets resolved quickly, and they lose out, then they might turn their attention to Iggy. But they have no center on the team, much less a back up center. My guess is that if they lose out on Howard, they fill out the roster with cheap players, get in the lottery, and try to make a big splash in the free agent market next year. Cuban has stated that he wants a contending team in 2014.

It may come down to just New Orleans and the Kings. I guess we'll see!
Detroit is also apparently very interested.

We as fans are used to being disappointed and not ever having a real chance to land a key FA. These are new times! With the New Ownership group, New Coaches and the upcoming new Arena I think we may actually look exciting to some FA's. I feel we have a legitimate chance be it a long shot on landing Iguadala. I agree with Bajaden though, I dont want to give away JT to get him. We need his presence at PF. We can't sacrifice one position to gain another. That isn't the way to build a high caliber team.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Doesn't make sense to me. You fill a hole at SF, and then create a hole at PF. That kind of thinking needs to stop. At the moment, Iggy is an unrestricted freeagent. That means he can walk and Denver gets nothing in return. We would be offering them a chance to get back a player that can put the ball in the basket. Denver is currently sitting at just slightly under 52 million in payroll, and thats without including Iggy. If you add Thorntons salary, they're right up there at just under 60 mil. The only true SG they have on the team is Fournier, and he was a rookie last season. So its possible that they might go for Thornton. But I'm not just giving away JT to make it happen. Its time to start getting on the winning side of trades!!!!!!
It's really more of a cap management issue than it is about expending assets. Yes we can theoretically sign Igoudala without trading anyone but if you want to re-sign Evans and Cousins to market value deals as well, something has to give. Even amnestying Salmons' contract we don't have enough to sign Igoudala and Evans without moving Thornton and we have to send back equal salary to Denver somehow. And anyway I don't feel comfortable at all having Jason Thompson as the starting PF on a playoff level team. After watching him play for the past 5 seasons, the idea of JT on the floor in crunch time of a must-win game scares the heck out of me. I suppose a three team trade is also possible, with someone else stepping in to absorb the cap hit, but we have to be giving them something too.

I think that seeing this type of news is a sight for sore eyes for many around here. Iggy is a big time free agent, and for us to even be in the conversation demonstrates the need to have a good ownership group with great personnel and coaches. Hopefully Iggy or AK join the King's party... something tells me next season will be the return of the Kings!

It's really more of a cap management issue than it is about expending assets. Yes we can theoretically sign Igoudala without trading anyone but if you want to re-sign Evans and Cousins to market value deals as well, something has to give. Even amnestying Salmons' contract we don't have enough to sign Igoudala and Evans without moving Thornton and we have to send back equal salary to Denver somehow. And anyway I don't feel comfortable at all having Jason Thompson as the starting PF on a playoff level team. After watching him play for the past 5 seasons, the idea of JT on the floor in crunch time of a must-win game scares the heck out of me. I suppose a three team trade is also possible, with someone else stepping in to absorb the cap hit, but we have to be giving them something too.
That's pretty funny. I was thinking the same things about JT. Dude plays hard but has really low basketball IQ and will be prone to make crucial mistakes in NBA playoffs.

i keep seeing ppl say we need more shooting with tyreke and AI in the lineup? have ppl forgot we have patrick patterson? who should be starting over JT

Status
Not open for further replies.