Stern - still no Seattle-Kings deal - latest rumors, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. At best it's 50%. The process just seems to be so far along now, the Sac group is having to play catch up. Hard to say if they can string it together in time and if it will even matter.
The irritating part is that either the fans here get screwed because the maloofs refused to actually look for a seller that would stay here or we get to keep the team but the maloofs get a way overvalued deal simply because they are shady little...

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
The irritating part is that either the fans here get screwed because the maloofs refused to actually look for a seller that would stay here or we get to keep the team but the maloofs get a way overvalued deal simply because they are shady little...
I simply don't care if the Maloofs get more than they deserve (and what they really deserve I won't mention on a family board) as long as the Kings stay in Sacramento. Once they sell I just hope I never hear the name "Maloof" again in any meaningful context.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Agreed. At best it's 50%. The process just seems to be so far along now, the Sac group is having to play catch up. Hard to say if they can string it together in time and if it will even matter.
I don't think the Sac group has to catch up as much as you think. KJ has been anticipating this move by the Maloofs for quite a while. All the parties involved know what needs to be done to present a valid counteroffer. Remember KJ going to the BOG with not just $10 million but ALSO Burkle in the back pocket? He knows just meeting the minimum isn't going to cut it. He will have an offer that more than matches the Maloof share and also have a signed agreement that if the local group keeps the team they will agree to the previously-agreed to deal with the City for a new arena.

Remember that AEG was also asked by Stern to "re-engage" and affirm that they are still in for the deal as well. Remember that Stern was torqued at how MSE turned down the deal he personally negotiated on their behalf (at their request!). Remember that KJ and Stern are in constant communication and from what I can gather, KJ feels someehat optimistic on our chances. So don't give up hope yet. MSE was shot down before and they (fingers crossed!) will suffer the same fate this time as well.

here we go. this Seattle man knows........

mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch
One potential problem could be if Larry Ellison comes along in next 6 weeks with an insane offer and promises to keep the team in Sacramento

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Doesn't change anything.
No it doesn't as I read somewhere today that if the city puts together an ownership group that will keep the team in Sacramento, that will be the group that buys the Kings. The BOG, in other words, will vote to favor the group that keeps the team in Sacto. Now this time maybe the Maloofs will see what it is like to do all the work and have the rug jerked from under them at the last moment. They have made a lot of enemies in high places.

Giving the Maloofs $30 mil gauranteed sounds desperate to me. I take it as Hansen paying for the right to announce the deal before KJ can announce his whale. If Hansen was confident his deal would go through, why would rush to give the Maloofs money? Guess its all in how you look at it, but agreeing to a non refundable deposit seems unusual if youre negotiating from a position of strength.

I don't think the Sac group has to catch up as much as you think. KJ has been anticipating this move by the Maloofs for quite a while. All the parties involved know what needs to be done to present a valid counteroffer. Remember KJ going to the BOG with not just $10 million but ALSo Burkle in the back pocket? He knows just meeting the minimum isn't going to cut it. He will have an offer that more than matches the Maloof share and also have a signed agreement that if the local group keeps the team they will agree to the previously-agreed to deal with the City for a new arena.

Remember that AEG was also asked by Stern to "re-engage" and affirm that they are still in for the deal as well. Remember that Stern was torqued at how MSE turned down the deal he personally negotiated on their behalf (at their request!). Remember that KJ and Stern are in constant communication and from what I can gather, KJ feels someehat optimistic on our chances. So don't give up hope yet. MSE was shot down before and they (fingers crossed!) will suffer the same fate this time as well.
All very good points. I'm really interested in seeing who is behind this group KJ has been assembling. That's the hardest part to me right now. It's hard to feel any comfort when you have the Hansen/Ballmer group against a list of names that would possibly be interested in the team. Just looking for some sort of substance.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
here we go. this Seattle man knows........

mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch
One potential problem could be if Larry Ellison comes along in next 6 weeks with an insane offer and promises to keep the team in Sacramento

As Carmichael Dave's been hinting, this may not be too far from what could happen. THe question then becomes whether or not the league values keeping Sacramento in the NBA more than its hate and fear of Ellison.

We got one last chance. I can count 2 teams that will vote for ownership approval and relocation that would be GSW and OKC. Small market teams would be our best allies but it looks as if the owners would love to approval this inflated price.

This situation isn't for the faint of heart.. there are times when I just want to give up, but I believe there are forces in this world that makes what is supposed to be right right. We deserve our team, we have earned our team, Seattle doesn't need a 4th or whatever team at our expense. The 30 mil non-refundable is scary

As Carmichael Dave's been hinting, this may not be too far from what could happen. THe question then becomes whether or not the league values keeping Sacramento in the NBA more than its hate and fear of Ellison.
Why does the NBA not like him? Sorry I havn't followed any stories on him ever haha.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
what does the league have against Ellison?
When he and Mastrov got into a bidding war against each other for the Warriors, the NBA was so hesitant about having to deal with the second richest man in the country that they pretty much asked Lacob to make an offer and gave him the team without letting the other buyers know.

When he and Mastrov got into a bidding war against each other, the NBA was so hesitant about having to deal with the second richest man in the country that they pretty much asked Lacob to make an offer and gave him the team without letting the other buyers know.
well according to Forbes 400 list in September 2012 hes down to the 3rd richest person in America, so maybe now they will side with him

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The thing about Ellison is that he's been eager to get a team and move it to San Jose. However, if he's come to realize that that won't happen and still wants a team anyways, things could get really interesting.

'the vision to make the Kings the NBA equivalent of what the Green Bay Packers have been in the NFL'

What does KJ mean by that? A succesful small market team?

Hmm thats a tough call, that would be horrible if he bought the team just for us to go through a moving process to somewhere else. If he wants to keep them here that is something else entirely.

'the vision to make the Kings the NBA equivalent of what the Green Bay Packers have been in the NFL'

hope so. i hope he's not referring to the fact that the people of the city of Green Bay own that team. if thats his plan here then that means he didnt find investors and were screwed

Yeah I think he is going for that. He might also be referring to their fanbase. I cant speak on that myself because I dont know much about NFL fanbases other than the Raider's fans are insane haha.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
The thing about Ellison is that he's been eager to get a team and move it to San Jose. However, if he's come to realize that that won't happen and still wants a team anyways, things could get really interesting.
Certainly he would prefer a team In Sacramento than no team at all. If I had the money to spare, that's the way I'd do it. I'll check under the sofa cushions and see what I can find.

Hmm thats a tough call, that would be horrible if he bought the team just for us to go through a moving process to somewhere else. If he wants to keep them here that is something else entirely.
He would never get approval to move to San Jose instead of Seattle. This is all about trying to find someone willing to seriously overpay to stay in sac and the bog being convinced the potential legal/pr/owner ramifications of overriding a sale are worth it. I'm seriously concerned that those are big, big ifs.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Certainly he would prefer a team In Sacramento than no team at all. If I had the money to spare, that's the way I'd do it. I'll check under the sofa cushions and see what I can find.
Yep. I'm gonna check to see if any wealthy distant relations left me in their will.

so basically KJ will probably announce his "whales" next week, and they we sit around and wait for the BOG meeting to find out the fate of the team. this wait is gonna be torture

so basically KJ will probably announce his "whales" next week, and they we sit around and wait for the BOG meeting to find out the fate of the team. this wait is gonna be torture
I think we'll know before too long. We should get an idea of the potential group and their offer, indications from the Seattle group on their plans should the price climb and whispers from the league/other owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.