Stern - still no Seattle-Kings deal - latest rumors, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note, this is an old article, I'm only posting it to show Webber did have interest in buying the Kings in the past:

On a recent trip to Sacramento, Webber visited with his potential partner and Filipino businessman Manny V. Pangilinan, chairman of the Phillipine Long Distance Telephone Company, in an attempt to secure the necessary funds to take over ownership and fund building a new arena. Reportedly, Pangilinan has offered to invest anywhere between $200-$260 million of his personal fortune to be the new majority owner of the Kings, with C Webb as minority owner.
http://thehoopdoctors.com/online2/2011/06/chris-webber-attempting-to-buy-sacramento-kings/

Now, that was six months ago, but I'd hazard a guess he's still interested.

wow that is a lot of headline fudging going on. I don't think the headline reflects the actual quotes very accurately. Sac is still in the game, but anybody who doesn't consider us an underdog is really dreaming right now. we have our work cut out for us.

what I REALLY want to read is "group of owners says expansion team for Seattle is on the table". If that happens, we become a favorite to keep our Kings I think.

The headline is not worth buying into. But the rest of the info is about the vibe I have been feeling since late in the week. Far from done either way.

And just a moment ago, this on twitter:

Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave
Hearing very persistent rumors that one of the prospective "whales" could also give his new team a heck of a Hawaiian vacation discount.

The only thing new from these reports is that it sounds like Hansen is about to go to public with it. Press confrence, etc... Doesn't change much in regards to the what happens with the local investors, but it just shows the wheels are staying in motion.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Dear lord, it's like y'all haven't been paying attention for the last couple of weeks. It was always going to come down to this. Now KJ's got the ball in his hands with 10 seconds left down by 1. It's do or die time. Have some faith.

Dear lord, it's like y'all haven't been paying attention for the last couple of weeks. It was always going to come down to this. Now KJ's got the ball in his hands with 10 seconds left down by 1. It's do or die time. Have some faith.
Both of us just posted relevant links? Nobody is screaming in agony.

More like Seattle to inbound the ball with 5 seconds left up by 3, in need of a Larry Bird steal followed by a Larry Johnson 4 point play, lol =/

I do feel faith in KJ, whenever he talked he seemed like someone who knows he can pull it off.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Exactly. A deal with Hansen was always in the cards, it was just a question of when...and how much. In fact, the benefit of Hansen putting a number to his deal is that the Sacramento group(s) will know how much has to be bid to match or beat.

The Maloofs are selling. They don't want to sell to Sacramento out of spite. And if we hope to keep the team, we need the league to decide that they don't want our franchise to move and then step in. We have known all of this, and the Maloofs and Hansen signing on the dotted line changes nothing.

@WojYahooNBA: With sale finalized, NBA's Relocation Committee will approve Kings move to Seattle for next season, sources tell Y! "Formality," source says

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
Sources say deal calls for Maloofs to receive non-refundable $30 million from the Hansen group by Feb. 1 whether or not sale is approved

Last edited:
@WojYahooNBA: With sale finalized, NBA's Relocation Committee will approve Kings move to Seattle for next season, sources tell Y! "Formality," source says

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
Sources say deal calls for Maloofs to receive non-refundable $30 million from the Hansen group by Feb. 1 whether or not sale is approved
now THAT is pretty remarkable... would suggest NBA is already in on it... or at least that Hansen has been recruiting BOG votes and just knows he has it done no matter what KJ comes up with. Rough business.

“@Nelson4g63: @CarmichaelDave how confident are you that KJ can pull together a group that can match $525M for 65%” 99.9%

pretty confident of Dave to say 99.9

now THAT is pretty remarkable... would suggest NBA is already in on it... or at least that Hansen has been recruiting BOG votes and just knows he has it done no matter what KJ comes up with. Rough business.
Yeah the $30million deposit is very alarming. These are very wealthy people but that isn't an insignificant amount of money that they really don't have to spend. It's not like its that big a bargaining chip since its already been assumed that its the league that would push for a viable local buyer, not the maloofs.

“@Nelson4g63: @CarmichaelDave how confident are you that KJ can pull together a group that can match $525M for 65%” 99.9%

pretty confident of Dave to say 99.9
Hmmm, maybe KJ only needs to round up $495M, since if that deal is forced on Maloofs by NBA - the boys still get "non-refundable $30M" from Hansen Group.

Maybe Stern was willing to string KJ along in order to keep a fire under the Seattle talks.. till it was inked... since Maloofs are unpredictable. I bet that's it.

see u can look it at 2 ways. on the Seattle side they must be pretty confident if there willing to put in 30m non refundable.

but from the Maloof side, they might have asked for that because they know theres a high chance that the NBA says no to the Seattle sale over a local sale.....

Ask yourself as well: why would the Maloofs want 30 mil non-refundable by Feb 1? That's "uh-oh"money. That's "we know they hate us" money.

Maybe Stern was willing to string KJ along in order to keep a fire under the Seattle talks.. till it was inked... since Maloofs are unpredictable. I bet that's it.
I don't disagree that's possible. I also think it's possible that Stern only agreed to have Mayor KJ come to NYC to present his now "counter-offer" to BoG as "face saving" for one or both of them. This saga continues but I don't think it's at 99.9% level that giddy Carmichael Dave thinks it is.

yep this is the real deal, even LeBron is talking bout it

LeBron James ‏@KingJames
So the Kings getting sold for 525M!! And the owners ain't making no money huh? What the hell we have a lockout for. Get the hell out of here

I don't disagree that's possible. I also think it's possible that Stern only agreed to have Mayor KJ come to NYC to present his now "counter-offer" to BoG as "face saving" for one or both of them. This saga continues but I don't think it's at 99.9% level that giddy Carmichael Dave thinks it is.
Agreed. At best it's 50%. The process just seems to be so far along now, the Sac group is having to play catch up. Hard to say if they can string it together in time and if it will even matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.