Truehoop article on Tyreke's season and situation

Ok.. last post I swear...

On the above post, I actually AGREE with Jimmy Spencer (for the most part). BUT..... I am not putting all the blame on the staff. He needs to take responsibility for himself as well. The lack of PG skills I don't blame him. He's been placed everywhere from PG to SF. My argument is that I don't think the coaches should ever try to use him as a PG or a SF for extended periods of time, and I don't believe the coaches should start IT if they are going to use him as a 5'9 SG.

So the coaches are to blame too.... But Evans needs to take responsibility for himself as well.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
If Geoff has any intention of bringing Tyreke back after this season, something is going to have to change soon. I don't think anyone in Tyreke's camp is happy with the way he's been handled by this organization and I can't blame them. It's already clear that Coach Smart was spouting nonsense he had no intention of backing up in his end of season press conference last April. If you can't take your own coach at his word, than what good is he?

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
probably like they want to get away from this coaching and probably the whole franchise in general
Thing is, we mismanage just about everyone. Jimmer is misused. IT is misused. JJ is misused. Cuz is misused. Whoever we'd replace Reke with would also be misused. It's more an organizational issue, even though yes the roster doesn't fit.

International i ‏@Bluprintceo
"I know his potential. I'm with him in the gym putting him to work. But he can't get into a rhythm on a team where everyone has the green light"

Tyreke can never be that wade, westbrook, rose type guy that people here want him unless he can hit a pull up jumper off the dribble. Teams have it scouted to just stay down and meet him in the paint, to make it worse Tyreke has no floater type shots in his arsenal, when he's driving hes gonna get to the rim and either make a tough layup or get blocked/ get an offensive foul. The problem is people want him to be an elite player, but as it stands i only see his potential as an Iggy 3rd option type.

"I know his potential. I'm with him in the gym putting him to work. But he can't get into a rhythm on a team where everyone has the green light"
Yea. I just read his bro's tweet. He also said,

I know one thing. Play him right & you win! Play him like this he's crucified. It's cool he has braid shoulders. He can take it!

The only 3 people I know outta this team that should have the green light is Reke/DMC/MT23.

Kyle Lowry worked hard on his shooting 4 summers and finally got it. This offseason it became clear Tyreke started seriously working on his shot only in February or March this year when "shooting doc" showed up. You know, what's most indicative of his work ethic during his career? Who was his best friend on the team until this season? Yes, Donte Green, guy who probably never worked out outside of Kings' practices. That Artest trade looks even worse than it did before.

I think this runs a little deeper than just a jumpshot.. Your talking about going from a 20/5/5 rookie into the inconsistent role player we're seeing on most nights now. Confidence, work ethic, focus, desire, any number of things could also be at play here. He just doesn't resemble the fiery, competitive Reke whose jersey I once proudly donned

Well when you'd rather give James Johnson the ball to dominate than Evans on the offensive end then I'm not quite sure what you expect of Tyreke. Watch the Blazers game, you'll see Tyreke calling for the ball multiple times when JJ has it, but JJ refuses to pass the ball.

yup its ridiculous. ive had just about enough of this franchise holding players back and then trading them or letting them go and watching them succeed elsewhere. i think this time if they drive Tyreke out of town, im gonna go with him

I think this runs a little deeper than just a jumpshot.. Your talking about going from a 20/5/5 rookie into the inconsistent role player we're seeing on most nights now. Confidence, work ethic, focus, desire, any number of things could also be at play here. He just doesn't resemble the fiery, competitive Reke whose jersey I once proudly donned
I think he's looking to be more of a team player and he's deferring to others a lot more. Watch the Portland game again in the 4th, and see how many times he's calling for JJ to get him the ball. The guys aren't giving him the ball when he wants to be aggressive, nor is the coach playing him the minutes necessary. Tyreke Evans played 29 minutes tonight. What star player, or player you want to be a star, plays 29 minutes in a game?

I think he's looking to be more of a team player and he's deferring to others a lot more. Watch the Portland game again in the 4th, and see how many times he's calling for JJ to get him the ball. The guys aren't giving him the ball when he wants to be aggressive, nor is the coach playing him the minutes necessary. Tyreke Evans played 29 minutes tonight. What star player, or player you want to be a star, plays 29 minutes in a game?
Ridiculous. Kobe is what 34 and last night he played 38 min. Coach is on drugs

Again, he hasn't developed but I pose this to the Reke bashers out there: Name another player in the league that started with so much promise and then spent 3 years dealing with awful coaching, 3 positions, multiple mixed messages on play style, a lack of complimentary pieces and poor role definitions. I tried and honestly couldn't think of another player in that situation in the last decade, let alone in someone trying to play point guard.

Dont know the inside situation behind this but having an imbecile coach certainly doesn't help. Although it's startin to seem more & more like Tyreke just doenst have a will/heart/determination/desire to be one of the best.

1. Reke is not a star

2. The team should be over wanting him to be a star

3. The team was much better with him off the court last night (Obviously, it wasn't ALL his fault)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
1. Reke is not a star

2. The team should be over wanting him to be a star

3. The team was much better with him off the court last night (Obviously, it wasn't ALL his fault)
Or even much his fault. He didn't cause the problems we had last night, other than being reduced to offensive spectator. This is actually almost comical, or would be if it was another team. I know if this were going on with the Warriors or somebody I would be on the phone with them daily looking to pluck a talent while laughing at their stupidity with my assistant GM once I hung up.

Or even much his fault. He didn't cause the problems we had last night, other than being reduced to offensive spectator. This is actually almost comical, or would be if it was another team. I know if this were going on with the Warriors or somebody I would be on the phone with them daily looking to pluck a talent while laughing at their stupidity with my assistant GM once I hung up.
I don't see how teams aren't knocking down the Kings' door to get Tyreke.

I was just thinking the same thing except for Alex Smith was horrible his first year.
True, but he was the #1 overall pick, so there was some hype coming from that. Aside from that though, everything else fits. I wonder if Harbaugh can coach basketball?

Bricklayer

Here's a stat for you:

Keith Smart record with Reke at PG: 8-14 .364
Record since Smart took Reke off ball: 14-31 .311

That sure did fix things, jackass.

S

sactownfan

Rondo is an All-Star and he still can't shoot. To blame Tyreke's lack of success on his inability to develop a consistent jump shot is to be just as uncreative as the King's front office has been in developing his talent. From day 1 this guy was top 5 in the league in getting to the basket. What did we do? We told him to focus on his shooting, play off the ball, and set up a bunch of terrible outside shooters for open jumpshots they can't hit anyway. Basically we were sitting on a huge asset that every team in the league would covet and our reaction was to tell him to get back to work and come back when he's Lebron James. But he's not Lebron James.

The jumpshot is not the be-all end-all of basketball offense. Shaq flat-out dominated the entire league for 10 years and he couldn't hit a jumpshot outside of 8 feet his entire career. I've been watching this team a long time and it seems to me that every time we bring in a player with some potential to get the ball inside and score consistently we try to remake them as an outside shooter instead. For example, has anyone else noticed that DeMarcus keeps moving further and further away from the basket? Is it all that surprising that his overall shooting percentages continue to go down? A few years ago with Tyreke, Casspi, Dalembert, Cousins, and Whiteside we were promised a tough hard-nosed team which is going to attack the basket relentlessly and seal up the paint at the other end. Instead we have yet another group of streaky jumpshooters.

I'm not saying that Tyreke is without fault, but other teams have found ways to get high level production out of players who aren't consistent outside shooters. Maybe it would be a good idea to try out a coach who wasn't a scoring guard as a player? Just a thought.
Rodo and Evans are nothing alike... Evans is a SG who cant shoot or a SF. Rondo is a TRUE PG.... Rondo is a quarterback that sets up and runs the offense with perfect passes and drives that create for others most of the time. if he doesn't have the shot.... Evans is hardly that type of true PG.

Bricklayer

The award for improperly using a stat to make it fit your opinion goes to....
oh bull hookie. Would you like me to include Home/Road/relative schedule strengths to make it look worse? The fact that Hayes, Thronton and Cousins all missed time during the short first stretch?

We have complete chaos now. The coach created the complete chaos by being an idiot. The GM has aided and abetted the idiocy by giving him the tools to be an idiot. It has solved nothing and given us a whole host of new problems. The numbers get worse when you consider that DeMarcus Cousins has been coming into his own over that second period too.

Whatever the limitations of the Cousins/Reke/MT trifecta, we at least knew what we were then, who were our guys, what we were trying to accomplish, and how we would win if it came together.

Last edited:
The nice thing about starting Jimmer, if he has in fact regained the ability to shoot like he did in college, is he can let Reke handle the ball. Between Reke and JJ, on D the team can hide him on the weakest player. Maybe even start Salmons at SF and have IT/MT/JJ come off the bench. Both lineups have ballhandling and only one below avg shooter.

That takes Brooks minutes, but then he's just an expiring deal and veteran insurance at PG.

oh bull hookie. Would you like me to include Home/Road/relative schedule strengths to make it look worse? The fact that Hayes, Thronton and Cousins all missed time during the short first stretch?

We have complete chaos now. The coach created the complete chaos by being an idiot. The GM has aided and abetted the idiocy by giving him the tools to be an idiot. It has solved nothing and given us a whole host of new problems. The numbers get worse when you consider that DeMarcus Cousins has been coming into his own over that second period too.

Whatever the limitations of the Cousins/Reke/MT trifecta, we at least knew what we were then, who were our guys, what we were trying to accomplish, and how we would win if it came together.
If the record was closer to a .500 then you would have a valid point. If you want a team that wins 36% of it's games than Evans is your PG.

I'm thinking we should make a trade for Jeff Teague. That guy has gotten better every year and is super quick, plays defense and is hella athletic. We then should put together a package consisting of Tyreke and one of IT/Brooks/Jimmer for a Danny Granger/Rudy Gay/Paul George

Actually I would love you to include all of those things, as well as offensive/defensive team stats with Reke at PG to compare with what we have now. Then, your opinion would have some actually validity to it. You can't just use team record as support for saying Reke should be our PG. That is the definition of "bull hookie"

Actually I would love you to include all of those things, as well as offensive/defensive team stats with Reke at PG to compare with what we have now. Then, your opinion would have some actually validity to it. You can't just use team record as support for saying Reke should be our PG. That is the definition of "bull hookie"
Weren't you here last year? We pretty much made this argument all of last year and included all of the stats you're asking for. Most noticeable was who we beat, and how. We didn't squeak by some sucky GS and Detroit teams like this year. It actually gave some promise. Was it perfect? No, because we didn't win all of them, but it was a blueprint that should have been followed through this year.
If anything, it's maddening to go through what Smart said each and every week about the progress and things he's trying to build, only to see him to a complete 180. But then again, when the coach says you basically shouldn't listen to anything that comes out of his mouth, then I guess you shouldn't be surprised.