Trailblazers offer Roy Hibbert a max contract. Might not be able to keep Batum...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/07/01/roy-hibbert-trail-blazers-pacers-free-agency/index.html

Highlights toward the end of the article...

If the Pacers don't match and Hibbert joins Portland, it could mean the end of small forward Nicolas Batum's time with the Blazers. The agent for the restricted free agent, Bouna Ndiaye, has had contentious negotiations with the team dating to last summer and the lead-up to this free agency period gave no indications that it would be different -- even with the addition of former Clippers GM Olshey in early June.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...s-pacers-free-agency/index.html#ixzz1zNv74qCP
I really hope that Indiana does NOT match Portland's offer for Hibbert. It could open the door for us to land Batum. If we can resign Jason Thompson and land Batum, I have VERY high hopes for a playoff birth this coming season.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/07/01/roy-hibbert-trail-blazers-pacers-free-agency/index.html

Highlights toward the end of the article...

I really hope that Indiana does NOT match Portland's offer for Hibbert. It could open the door for us to land Batum. If we can resign Jason Thompson and land Batum, I have VERY high hopes for a playoff birth this coming season.
The two unfortunately aren;t clsoely realted. They can resign Batum if they want, and even if they don't Batum is already getting $12 mil ayear offers from teams. I doubt we can afford that both because of owner brokeness, but also in the longterm as part of our salary structure. When you have young talent stacked up it starts to get very expensive a few years down the line. At $12mil Batum would have to be good enough to be at least yor 3rd weapon.

The two unfortunately aren;t clsoely realted. They can resign Batum if they want, and even if they don't Batum is already getting $12 mil ayear offers from teams. I doubt we can afford that both because of owner brokeness, but also in the longterm as part of our salary structure. When you have young talent stacked up it starts to get very expensive a few years down the line. At $12mil Batum would have to be good enough to be at least yor 3rd weapon.
Link please

Entity

Hall of Famer
I could see Batum as the 3rd guy. Then here is what I would do. i would really go after Lowry from houston using thorton for bait. You then have a well rounded playoff bound team right here

Lowry, IT
Tyreke, Twill, Jimmer
Batum, Salmons, Garcia
JT, Robinson, Hayes
Cousins, JT, whiteside

I could see Batum as the 3rd guy. Then here is what I would do. i would really go after Lowry from houston using thorton for bait. You then have a well rounded playoff bound team right here

Lowry, IT
Tyreke, Twill, Jimmer
Batum, Salmons, Garcia
JT, Robinson, Hayes
Cousins, JT, whiteside
I can agree, but the prices being thrown at these guys in FA currently are insane. If you really hope to top Minny's current reported offer to Batum you'll have to get close to a max offer for him. I think trying to pursue a trade for Lowry should be a priority. With Houston throwing big $ offers at every free agent walking they will likely need the cap space so I'm not sure if it would take much if we're able to absorb a decent amount.

Lowry, IT
Tyreke, Twill, Jimmer
Batum, Salmons, Garcia
JT, Robinson, Hayes
Cousins, JT, whiteside
we could honestly probably make playoffs with that lineup. but doubt it will happen

This is Paul Allen showing the Association what NBA rich is. Plus he gets to put it to old employee Kevin Pritchard in the process. Its a win - win for Allen by his reckoning.

KB

Entity

Hall of Famer
it is overpaying. But Batum is a perfect fit. If we had owners that had money and cared we would be relentless in pursuing Batum.

We're getting JT and T-Will, that's about it.

Batum, Wallace, Iggy, Gay etc etc etc are absolute pipe dreams.

We need to be thankful if the Magoofs find it within their wallet to pay the max for DeMarcus when his time is due - expecting them to add new expensive pieces is a pipe dream.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/221941/Batum_Considering_Four_Year_$45_50_Million_Offer_From_Timberwolves
I know Kahn bashing is in vogue and everything but doesn't he already have half of the small forwards in the league on his roster? Budinger, Williams, Johnson (who they've been playing out of position at SG), Tolliver, Webster. Lots of picks and money invested in SF already. Then again, this is Kahn

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
it is overpaying. But Batum is a perfect fit. If we had owners that had money and cared we would be relentless in pursuing Batum.
We're going to need to pay Cousins and Reke eventually. Don't want to max out capspace by overpaying for Batum over the next 4 years (more specifically the last three year of his contract)

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I don't have a link, but it was reported on a tweet that the Timberwolves had made an offer between 45 and 50 mil over 4 years. A max offer for Batum would be around 12.5 mil a year over 4 years, which is around 50 mil over that same time period. The T Wolves who just traded for Budinger, a SF, and drafted Derrick Williams last year, a SF/PF, and drafted Wesley Johnson the year before that, a SF, are being run by an total nutcase. All it takes is one crazy GM to screw up the whole thing for everyone else.

I love Batum, and what he brings. But there is no way in hell that he's worth that amount of money. Time to move on to someone else.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I know Kahn bashing is in vogue and everything but doesn't he already have half of the small forwards in the league on his roster? Budinger, Williams, Johnson (who they've been playing out of position at SG), Tolliver, Webster. Lots of picks and money invested in SF already. Then again, this is Kahn
Yeah, but they are like our SF crew. The wildcard is Williams, who was every bit the tweener I feared he would be last year, but now at least has Beasley out of the way. If they are seriously trying to drop $12mil on Batum to stick ahead of him thouhh, and after trying to trade him for a pick in the draft...bust city for a guy that a lot of people were just guaranteeing was going to be a god?

Hibbert is a huge part of Indy's future. Even with the team they have now - they took the NBA Champions to 6 games. In their minds, I'm sure their thinking they're only 1 or 2 key pieces away from challenging Miami and Chicago even further. Unless I'm mistaken - I don't believe they have anyone near Hibbert's talent in that frontcourt. So, all logic says, IMO, that Indy should match that offer.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yeah, but they are like our SF crew. The wildcard is Williams, who was every bit the tweener I feared he would be last year, but now at least has Beasley out of the way. If they are seriously trying to drop $12mil on Batum to stick ahead of him thouhh, and after trying to trade him for a pick in the draft...bust city for a guy that a lot of people were just guaranteeing was going to be a god?
Thing we have to remember is that Rick, while a great coach, isn't exactly the best at utilizing and developing youth. I'd probably rate Budinger ahead of whoever we've had at SF over the past three seasons too.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Hibbert is a huge part of Indy's future. Even with the team they have now - they took the NBA Champions to 6 games. In their minds, I'm sure their thinking they're only 1 or 2 key pieces away from challenging Miami and Chicago even further. Unless I'm mistaken - I don't believe they have anyone near Hibbert's talent in that frontcourt. So, all logic says, IMO, that Indy should match that offer.
They have David West but he definitely does not do the same thing Hibbert does.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I don't have a link, but it was reported on a tweet that the Timberwolves had made an offer between 45 and 50 mil over 4 years. A max offer for Batum would be around 12.5 mil a year over 4 years, which is around 50 mil over that same time period. The T Wolves who just traded for Budinger, a SF, and drafted Derrick Williams last year, a SF/PF, and drafted Wesley Johnson the year before that, a SF, are being run by an total nutcase. All it takes is one crazy GM to screw up the whole thing for everyone else.

I love Batum, and what he brings. But there is no way in hell that he's worth that amount of money. Time to move on to someone else.
Honestly, I'm surprised Kahn didn't offer a contract to Gerald Wallace while he was at it.

Entity

Hall of Famer
We're going to need to pay Cousins and Reke eventually. Don't want to max out capspace by overpaying for Batum over the next 4 years (more specifically the last three year of his contract)
Kobe Bryant 27 mil Gasol 19 mil Bynum 16 mil Artest 7 mil. I don't see us reaching 27,19,or 16 with tyreke or Cuz anytime soon. I think we would be ok giving Batum 12 mil. that is 2 mil less than Salmons and Garcia combined. Garcia is in final year. that is 6 mil off the books. cousins extension will not come until after Salmons last season. there is 8 mil off the books. so you got got the money to give Tyreke next year when Garcia is off and the money to give Cuz when Salmons is off. Neither of which will require the complete additional money saved by those 2 players contracts coming off. eventually

DC 12 mil
TE 12 mil
NB 12 mil
JT 6 mil
IT 3 mil
HW 3 mil
MT 7 mil
TR 6 mil

that is only 3 mil over current cap.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Kobe Bryant 27 mil Gasol 19 mil Bynum 16 mil Artest 7 mil. I don't see us reaching 27,19,or 16 with tyreke or Cuz anytime soon. I think we would be ok giving Batum 12 mil. that is 2 mil less than Salmons and Garcia combined. Garcia is in final year. that is 6 mil off the books. cousins extension will not come until after Salmons last season. there is 8 mil off the books. so you got got the money to give Tyreke next year when Garcia is off and the money to give Cuz when Salmons is off. Neither of which will require the complete additional money saved by those 2 players contracts coming off. eventually

DC 12 mil
TE 12 mil
NB 12 mil
JT 6 mil
IT 3 mil
HW 3 mil
MT 7 mil
TR 6 mil

that is only 3 mil over current cap.
But that would also coincide with the new superharsh luxury tax rate coming into effect. You're also forgetting to include Chuck Hayes on that list.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Chuck Hayes contract would be off the year after Salmons at 5 mil it doesn't matter. Besides I imagine Tyreke and Cuz contract won't be starting at 12 mil the first year. Also as far as the cap goes. Here is how that works.. If you strive to stay at or below the cap you will NEVER win a championship. So if that is the goal of the franchise then we are all just spinning our wheels as fans anyway. I for one am not going to sit here and pipe dream of a way to stay under a cap and field a contending team. Right now we are under and can afford to sign a big contract before our big 2 come up. once we hit the cap we won't be able to make a move like this. Basically its not or never type situation.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Chuck Hayes contract would be off the year after Salmons at 5 mil it doesn't matter. Besides I imagine Tyreke and Cuz contract won't be starting at 12 mil the first year. Also as far as the cap goes. Here is how that works.. If you strive to stay at or below the cap you will NEVER win a championship. So if that is the goal of the franchise then we are all just spinning our wheels as fans anyway. I for one am not going to sit here and pipe dream of a way to stay under a cap and field a contending team. Right now we are under and can afford to sign a big contract before our big 2 come up. once we hit the cap we won't be able to make a move like this. Basically its not or never type situation.
Look, as much as I like Batum, I can't justify us offering him that large of a contract.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Owners with money and caring aside, to pay Batum the max salary, which would be 12.5 mil for years in the NBA, is just plain crazy. I absolutely love Batum, and he's my favorite fit on this team. But to pay him the max, you'd be throwing him into the same class as Durant, Granger, Iggy, Deng, Gay, Wallace, and Pierce. Thats the kind of money were talking about here. Those guys are all stars of different levels, but stars none the less. Batum isn't a star player. Would you trade Tyreke for him? Cuz? He'd come in making twice what they make, maybe three times what they make. That ought to make negotiations a lot of fun with Tyreke next year, and Cuz two years from now.

I think I'd rather make a play for Dorell Wright, or Wilson Chandler who makes 7.5 mil. Wallace just agreed to an offer sheet for 10 mil a year. Is Batum a better player than Wallace? Batum is still an unproven player to some extent. His 13.9 PPG, and 4.6 RPG are nice, along with his 39% 3pt shooting percentage. But if we can sign Terrence Williams for around 3.5 to 4 mil a year, is Batum going to make an 8 mil a year difference over Williams? I just don't think so.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
They have David West but he definitely does not do the same thing Hibbert does.
Well considering that West is a PF and Hibbert is a Center, I guess not... Sort of apples and oranges. I think they have to match the offer though. Losing Hibbert would leave a huge hole in Indy's lineup.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I don't care what we do. I just don't want to sit around and worry about the cap. Contending isn't going to happen at 50 mil a year.

Owners with money and caring aside, to pay Batum the max salary, which would be 12.5 mil for years in the NBA, is just plain crazy. I absolutely love Batum, and he's my favorite fit on this team. But to pay him the max, you'd be throwing him into the same class as Durant, Granger, Iggy, Deng, Gay, Wallace, and Pierce. Thats the kind of money were talking about here. Those guys are all stars of different levels, but stars none the less. Batum isn't a star player. Would you trade Tyreke for him? Cuz? He'd come in making twice what they make, maybe three times what they make. That ought to make negotiations a lot of fun with Tyreke next year, and Cuz two years from now.

I think I'd rather make a play for Dorell Wright, or Wilson Chandler who makes 7.5 mil. Wallace just agreed to an offer sheet for 10 mil a year. Is Batum a better player than Wallace? Batum is still an unproven player to some extent. His 13.9 PPG, and 4.6 RPG are nice, along with his 39% 3pt shooting percentage. But if we can sign Terrence Williams for around 3.5 to 4 mil a year, is Batum going to make an 8 mil a year difference over Williams? I just don't think so.
FWIW, I don't know if I'd trade Reke or Cuz for ANY of the players you listed :p Well, except Durant.