Amick – Sacramento Kings To Pass On Drummond, Iffy On Kidd-Gilchrist And Barnes?

L

LWP777

Too much for US?! We are getting Lowry and Scola.. They get IT and the 5th pick with Salmons salary.. That's a good deal for us.. Almost too good.
We give up the 5th pick, our #1 pick from last year in Jimmer, and a solid player in Thornton. Sure it would be great to get rid of Salmons but I'm not ready to give up on Jimmer yet and unload MT and the 5

We give up the 5th pick, our #1 pick from last year in Jimmer, and a solid player in Thornton. Sure it would be great to get rid of Salmons but I'm not ready to give up on Jimmer yet and unload MT and the 5
We give up the 5th pick... We give up the 10th pick (Jimmer) in one of the weakest drafts in recent memory, Salmons who is a major pain on our salary cap, and MT who does not have a place to play unless he's willing to come off the bench.

We get a good PG, and a good PF. On a team which was over .500.. Those two players were most of the reason that team was .500+ this year by the way. Those two players make us a .500 team the first year imo..

A 5th pick this year and keeping those three players wont.

L

LWP777

We give up the 5th pick... We give up the 10th pick (Jimmer) in one of the weakest drafts in recent memory, Salmons who is a major pain on our salary cap, and MT who does not have a place to play unless he's willing to come off the bench.

We get a good PG, and a good PF. On a team which was over .500.. Those two players were most of the reason that team was .500+ this year by the way. Those two players make us a .500 team the first year imo..

A 5th pick this year and keeping those three players wont.
Yeah, maybe, but do we want to be .500? That's the reason the Rockets are unloading everybody. They know they will never do better than .500 with that roster. It's usually the high draft picks that can turn around a franchise (if you get lucky).

Yeah, maybe, but do we want to be .500? That's the reason the Rockets are unloading everybody. They know they will never do better than .500 with that roster. It's usually the high draft picks that can turn around a franchise (if you get lucky).
Scola next to Cousins would be a very nice offensive frontline that can bang down low and pass. Lowry next to Evans would one of the best defensive backcourt.That's a potential playoff team.

Don't forget we have two young studs in Cousins and Evans who will get better.. It would be a .500 team to start (remember even with Webber the first 82 game season we were still the 8th seed in the west at about .500. If we had those two players we would get better.

If anything it shows that Petrie finally does get it. This team needs shooting and shot blocking next to big Cuz, rather than going after another JJ Hickson he's doing the sensible thing and trying to shore up some weaknesses and win some more games.
As I have previously said, I like Henson as the type of player and on paper he would be a perfect fit next to Cousins. A lengthy, athletic role player who can block shots, rebound the ball, play D and has enough offence to keep the defences honest.

My main concerns with his are:

1. Lack of bulk - his frame is such that he will never be able to really beef up. He will always be considered slander
2. He has a high centre of gravity - He has VERY long and skinny legs which generally means that people with such characteristics are generally un-coordinated and also leads to not being able to hold his position which limits his one on one defensive ability at the next level.

However, if we do get pick 12 and Lowry, then I would be open to picking Henson with pick 12 if he is still there. He is definitely the right type of player we need regardless of other question marks

EDIT: Provided that Petrie TRULY has full control of who we draft (ie not getting Maloofed) then I am happy with who ever he picks. He has the ability to pick good to great players and get the value for money with his picks so if it is Henson, I am good with that.

On Tyreke, there is no doubt that a team out there will offer him a max which Maloofs will NOT match. However, my hope in all this is that by the time Tyreke becomes RFA, we will have a new ownership group willing to spend money and build a contender. Its a roll of the dice I am willing to take.

Last edited:
Henson won't be past Detroit's 9th pick.
Also, the latest rumor I've read is that if Cleveland doesn't get Beal, they will get Waiters at 4. If this comes true. I could see a lot of teams calling Sac to grab whoever of the projected top 5 falls.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Also, the latest rumor I've read is that if Cleveland doesn't get Beal, they will get Waiters at 4. If this comes true. I could see a lot of teams calling Sac to grab whoever of the projected top 5 falls.
Henson will pair nicely with defensively challenged Monroe. Of course, anyone over 230 pounds is going to give him fits.

Lowry/Scola/16th/18th for Salmons/Thornton/Fredette/5th

Houston could swing Thornton+Salmons+5th+whatever they can package to Orlando for Howard and use Fredette's range with Howard.

For us, we draft Harkless + BPA

PG-Lowry/IT
SG-Evans/Garcia
SF-Harkless/Honeycutt
PF-Scola/Thompson/Hayes
C- Cousins/Whiteside
Check Scola's contract. This IMO is one of the worst thing we could do. Scola - Cousins could be good on offense, but they would be a disaster on D. Then, we are stuck with an aging PF with a horrible contract, and we also want to add last year's 10th pick and Thornton, who is a clutch player on a reasonable contract, and who also seems to like Sacramento.

The only deal I'd do with Houston is this:

Lowry + #12 + #16 or 18 for #5 + Hayes, and I'd do it just if MKG is gone.

We don't really know what because Detroit could quite easily draft Leonard at 9 or Drummond if he falls that far.

The only deal I'd do with Houston is this:

Lowry + #12 + #16 or 18 for #5 + Hayes, and I'd do it just if MKG is gone.
That is just way over the top. You will struggle to get 12 and one of their other teen picks for Hayes and 5. No way they offer that. Its really in in our favour and removed any flexibility Houston has in getting another top 10 pick which is obviously their target (2 top 10 picks).

Last edited:
Personally I don't think that 2 mid-round picks and Lowry are too much for the #5. Lowry is a good player, but he is not a superstar. Then, they are the one desperately wanting to move in the top 5. They are the seller, we are the buyer, so we are in a strong position right here and we can make the price. Do they think it's too much? Ok, we'll keep the 5th. Good luck trying to get Howard with the #12 and #18.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
As I have previously said, I like Henson as the type of player and on paper he would be a perfect fit next to Cousins. A lengthy, athletic role player who can block shots, rebound the ball, play D and has enough offence to keep the defences honest.

My main concerns with his are:

1. Lack of bulk - his frame is such that he will never be able to really beef up. He will always be considered slander
2. He has a high centre of gravity - He has VERY long and skinny legs which generally means that people with such characteristics are generally un-coordinated and also leads to not being able to hold his position which limits his one on one defensive ability at the next level.

However, if we do get pick 12 and Lowry, then I would be open to picking Henson with pick 12 if he is still there. He is definitely the right type of player we need regardless of other question marks

EDIT: Provided that Petrie TRULY has full control of who we draft (ie not getting Maloofed) then I am happy with who ever he picks. He has the ability to pick good to great players and get the value for money with his picks so if it is Henson, I am good with that.

On Tyreke, there is no doubt that a team out there will offer him a max which Maloofs will NOT match. However, my hope in all this is that by the time Tyreke becomes RFA, we will have a new ownership group willing to spend money and build a contender. Its a roll of the dice I am willing to take.
Just read this today. Kareem was 7'2" and listed at 225 pounds yet made 7 All Defensive teams. My admiration just took an unexpected leap upward and I was starting at a high place quite obviously/ Henson is not Kareem as Kareem was all muscle and a few more inches probably didn't hurt. People were probably afraid to try to back him down for fear they'd get slashed by his elbows. :)

Reportedly 11 teams have expressed interest in Tyreke. Just an ESPN rumor as I know nothing more.

Last edited:
Scola next to Cousins would be a very nice offensive frontline that can bang down low and pass. Lowry next to Evans would one of the best defensive backcourt.That's a potential playoff team.
Scola is a horrible fit next to Cousins, especially on the defensive end. We need some athleticism next to Cousins...

Personally I don't think that 2 mid-round picks and Lowry are too much for the #5. Lowry is a good player, but he is not a superstar. Then, they are the one desperately wanting to move in the top 5. They are the seller, we are the buyer, so we are in a strong position right here and we can make the price. Do they think it's too much? Ok, we'll keep the 5th. Good luck trying to get Howard with the #12 and #18.
Lowry might not be a superstar but he is a borderline all-star and you would do well if you actually pick a player of that level with pick 5. Its a bit of a crap shoot to be honest. Lowry is very under rated around these parts. He is a two way player who would make us better instantly and still has a lot of good years ahead of him.

Scola is a horrible fit next to Cousins, especially on the defensive end. We need some athleticism next to Cousins...
Agree. But in one of our great season, we once paired Vlade and Brad with very nice results. Scola may not block shots at an elite level but he's one of the best bigs that takes charges, flops well, and pass. Not to mention we won't be running out of offensive options down low when with this pair. Scola's game will last with age because he rely on his IQ and not his knees.

Agree. But in one of our great season, we once paired Vlade and Brad with very nice results. Scola may not block shots at an elite level but he's one of the best bigs that takes charges, flops well, and pass. Not to mention we won't be running out of offensive options down low when with this pair. Scola's game will last with age because he rely on his IQ and not his knees.
I am strongly against adding or encouraging any players who only defend by flopping/taking charges. I have a very strong inkling that the league will stop calling as many charges and be more strict about flopping in the coming years.

Waiters IMO is a bust, I REALLY hope Petrie steers clear of him.
Why do you say that? I'm not sold on him. Don't really love anyone where we are picking.

But Waiters has was a top recruit out of high school (IIRC, I read #25), put up very strong per 40 numbers and is supposed to be a very good defender.

What is your hesitation on him?

Jason Jones tweeted he thinks it's unlikely we pick Lillard, for what it's worth. I don't think anyone has a clue what will happen. Also saw another tweet saying most of the league expects our pick to be dealt before the draft. That's the only way I'd lean in that I'd say it's better than 50/50 we flip the pick. But who knows!

FWIW, we are "hearing" way more from inside sources this year compared to the past few years. And every time it is for a different player.

My guess is that we are trying to drive up the price for a trade. Actually putting a lot of misinformation out there so that no team feels safe that the player they want will make it past us. Because quite frankly we rarely get this much supposed chatter from the front office. Guys like Ford have always pretended to know someone. But the Amick's and Jonses' are reporting different players and seem pretty flummoxed.

And this makes sense if you just look at Houston as an example. Say they really do want Drummond, well Ford's latest mock says we are prepared to take him. This is just what you would want the Rox to believe. The rumor is that Morey is exploring trades with the Blazers and Warriors. If he thinks the Kings will pass on Drummond, then he can always go to the next couple of teams and offer less to move up fewer spots. However, if he is seriously worried Petrie might take Drummond, then he has to pay an additional premium to secure the 5th pick.

I could be way off, but that's my read.

Ford was just on ESPN radio reiterated that we "don't want to keep the pick" he "expects it to be traded" but if it's not, we're "leaning towards drummond as trade bait after the draft"

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Playing along here, if Petrie passes on MKG because he can't shoot (that would make him a damn fool, but I digress...) than why does he pass on Harrison Barnes? Is it really Robinson/Beal or bust for us, cause I have Beal ranked 6th and Robinson ranked 4th on my board. I was actually really happy that the top 3 GMs are falling over themselves to pick those two because it means that the three high-upside guys which fit a need for us are likely to slide down.

I don't know what's speculation and what's true at this point, but everyone knew we were picking Jimmer last year so my inclination is to believe that there must be some truth to the rumors. Even though every mock draft acknowledges that MKG/Barnes/Drummond would all be solid picks for us, every rumor I've heard says we don't like any of them and would prefer Lillard/Henson/Zeller. Look, if your job is on the line and you don't want to take chances I can understand that. But last year's draft was all about not taking chances and the supposed 'sure thing' senior player-of-the-year we drafted got outplayed by a lot of 19 and 20 year olds. There is no sure thing. Why would you pass on possible all-stars to draft someone who even at their peak probably tops out as a solid rotation guy?
Barnes can't get his own shot, isn't much of an athlete, disappears in games, and can't play D. Other than that he's pretty good. It was interesting that yesterday Grant played a couple of interviews of guys who have seen Barnes play a lot (one was the announcer for NC) and they didn't think very highly of him. One thought he would be a flat out bust. My read is that the Kings just don't think the ceiling of Barnes is very high. Barnes is a guy who people seem to disagree on quite a bit.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
They maybe bigger and stronger, but it is much less physical now than back then.
Bottomline it wouldn't matter much anyway. If Kareem came along today he would just end up working out more and he wouldn't be 225. Be closer to 245-250 maybe. I am just old enough to remember the laughably old school notion that you should not work out as a basketball player because it would make you stiff and hurt your shot. They actually actively avoided it at one time. :p

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Bottomline it wouldn't matter much anyway. If Kareem came along today he would just end up working out more and he wouldn't be 225. Be closer to 245-250 maybe. I am just old enough to remember the laughably old school notion that you should not work out as a basketball player because it would make you stiff and hurt your shot. They actually actively avoided it at one time. :p
I don't buy the 225 weight to begin with. I recall that he was in the 240s in the pros. Maybe in college he was 225.

I am just old enough to remember the laughably old school notion that you should not work out as a basketball player because it would make you stiff and hurt your shot. They actually actively avoided it at one time. :p
Same thing in baseball.... you couldn't pay those guys to get near a weight in the 80's.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Best guess: Kings keep the pick; don't pick MKG (he's probably not available and maybe they don't like the fact he's a so-so shooter; don't trade down; and select Lillard, Henson, or Mr. X (not Barnes or Drummond). They don't trade down because they really don't want more than one new young guy on this team; that's going in the exact opposite direction they want to go in. They probably have visions of three Donte Greene's dancing in their head. They don't make a trade for a veteran because nobody is paying up with a good veteran (somebody better than Salmons) for this #5 pick. If they do get a quality veteran they will have to package the #5, probably with Thornton, maybe with Tyreke.

Personally, I'd like to see MKG in a Kings uni. He's mature beyond his years (that's something fairly rare for a Kings player), he's got an incredible motor, and a never say die attitude. The Kings need more of that.

We will not have to move Thornton or Tyreke in order to get a good veteran for the 5. That's ludicrousy. There's a lot of interest in our pick, we hold all the cards.