Amick – Sacramento Kings To Pass On Drummond, Iffy On Kidd-Gilchrist And Barnes?

http://aroyalpain.com/2012/06/27/am...n-drummond-iffy-on-kidd-gilchrist-and-barnes/

Some intriguing news from Sam Amick, who earlier today reported that the Kings and Golden State Warriors were in talks to swap picks in tomorrow’s draft. In his latest mock draft, Amick points out that his sources have lead him to believe that the Kings aren’t as intrigued with the idea of Micheal Kidd-Gilchrist and/or Harrison Barnes as he once believed, and also makes mention that while the Kings may look for some size, UConn big man Andre Drummond will not be on their radar:

Drummond, who’s valued for his unique size and strength, has continually been riddled with questions about his work ethic and desire – even his former UConn teammate Jeremy Lamb, when quizzed about Drummond, said he’ll only go as far as his work ethic takes him (cold!!).

As it pertains to Barnes and Kidd-Gilchrist, the two appear to be the best fits for the Kings so it’s a bit shocking to hear of their perceived lackadaisical interest. The news could be a smokescreen of course – the Kings not wanting to show their cards.
It’s hard for me to think the Kings would pass on either MKG or Barnes given their continued problems at small forward, but it wouldn’t be the first time they’ve shocked me.

id say we're going to trade down

Amick was just on the Carmichael Dave show and he said that the Kings may be looking at drafting Henson with Lillard also being an option. He said that they won't draft MKG because Petrie prefers "shooters". He also stated that he believes that Tyreke will not be on the Kings roster after next season. Said that other teams will throw big money at him and that the Magoofs will not match the offers.

http://aroyalpain.com/2012/06/27/am...n-drummond-iffy-on-kidd-gilchrist-and-barnes/

Some intriguing news from Sam Amick, who earlier today reported that the Kings and Golden State Warriors were in talks to swap picks in tomorrow’s draft. In his latest mock draft, Amick points out that his sources have lead him to believe that the Kings aren’t as intrigued with the idea of Micheal Kidd-Gilchrist and/or Harrison Barnes as he once believed, and also makes mention that while the Kings may look for some size, UConn big man Andre Drummond will not be on their radar:

Drummond, who’s valued for his unique size and strength, has continually been riddled with questions about his work ethic and desire – even his former UConn teammate Jeremy Lamb, when quizzed about Drummond, said he’ll only go as far as his work ethic takes him (cold!!).

As it pertains to Barnes and Kidd-Gilchrist, the two appear to be the best fits for the Kings so it’s a bit shocking to hear of their perceived lackadaisical interest. The news could be a smokescreen of course – the Kings not wanting to show their cards.
It’s hard for me to think the Kings would pass on either MKG or Barnes given their continued problems at small forward, but it wouldn’t be the first time they’ve shocked me.

id say we're going to trade down
Petrie better be sure he gets both his shot-blocker (IMO, preferrably Henson) and his sweet shooting and defending SF if he passed on MKG or Drummond.

If this big mistake happens, I am pretty sure the members of Petrie's Cult will point their fingers to the Maloofs or Smart meddling on this draft again....lol

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Sounds for the most part that Amick is blowing steam out of his *** on this one. He's been right in the past but I really doubt Petrie would let someone get away with telling the rest of the players at the table what he's going to do with his cards.

Amick was just on the Carmichael Dave show and he said that the Kings may be looking at drafting Henson with Lillard also being an option. He said that they won't draft MKG because Petrie prefers "shooters". He also stated that he believes that Tyreke will not be on the Kings roster after next season. Said that other teams will throw big money at him and that the Magoofs will not match the offers.
If these are all true, or end up being true, then it shows that Petrie does not get "it" whatsoever.

If Tyreke leaves after a good season because of money issues, and they pass on mkg like they passed on Leonard, then I may have to reconsider my relationship with the kings.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Who exactly are they planning on signing then The NBA's minimum salary cap rises to 90 percent next year and the Kings need to have someone on their roster.

I am a very passionate Kings fans and some of the stuff that's been going on with this franchise really make me wonder why i have a blind devotion for this team. We need new owners, a new coach, and probably a new front office. A fresh approach is what we need to get this franchise back on track and safely in Sacramento with a new areana. I'm starting to plan a big trip to the US in a couple of years and I hope by then we are the team i think we can be when i visit Sac.

If these are all true, or end up being true, then it shows that Petrie does not get "it" whatsoever.

If Tyreke leaves after a good season because of money issues, and they pass on mkg like they passed on Leonard, then I may have to reconsider my relationship with the kings.

If anything it shows that Petrie finally does get it. This team needs shooting and shot blocking next to big Cuz, rather than going after another JJ Hickson he's doing the sensible thing and trying to shore up some weaknesses and win some more games.

I would love to just dismiss this, but considering the source this makes me nervous. If we can't trade the pick for the veteran player/player's that we desperately need we have to atleast be smart enough to take MKG. You have a athletic big sf who plays great defense and is about as ready as any 19 year old could be to do the little things that help you win, instead you want to pass on him because he isn't dynamic enough on the offense end. At this point screw the sexy pick, screw potential, let's start getting some pieces around Cousins. Petrie was in a similar position last year with Leonard, hopefully he doesn't make the same mistake.

plz dont pass on MKG if he's there. This guy gets nothing but positive criticism throughout the league and he could really change the culture of this franchise with a winning attitude and a defensive mentality. So what if he cant shoot the good yet, he has all the intagibles. I really hope petrie doesnt screw this up.

I listened to Amick on Carmichael Dave tonight as well, and he absolutely was not sure of himself with most of what he said. He felt strongly about the Drummond comment, but was kind of iffy on the Kings passing on MKG or Barnes. He didn't know. All I gathered from it was that it is definitely POSSIBLE the Kings wouldn't draft either guy, but he couldn't say for sure.

This is kind of old news, but because it's Amick I take it a little more seriously. If nothing else, this tells me that the Kings ARE NOT worried about a player they like falling to #5, because they don't like anyone there .. meaning Petrie won't be afraid to pull the trigger on a potential Lowry deal before the draft tomorrow. The deal won't hinge on who is available at #5, because it doesn't matter to us. Which I suppose is interesting.

I have already come to terms with the Kings drafting John Henson. I don't like the pick and I wish GP surprises me tomorrow, but for my sanity's sake, I've already talked myself into Henson just so I don't go bonkers tomorrow if it turns out to be him.

I have already come to terms with the Kings drafting John Henson. I don't like the pick and I wish GP surprises me tomorrow, but for my sanity's sake, I've already talked myself into Henson just so I don't go bonkers tomorrow if it turns out to be him.
Probably right, he's high on him.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Playing along here, if Petrie passes on MKG because he can't shoot (that would make him a damn fool, but I digress...) than why does he pass on Harrison Barnes? Is it really Robinson/Beal or bust for us, cause I have Beal ranked 6th and Robinson ranked 4th on my board. I was actually really happy that the top 3 GMs are falling over themselves to pick those two because it means that the three high-upside guys which fit a need for us are likely to slide down.

I don't know what's speculation and what's true at this point, but everyone knew we were picking Jimmer last year so my inclination is to believe that there must be some truth to the rumors. Even though every mock draft acknowledges that MKG/Barnes/Drummond would all be solid picks for us, every rumor I've heard says we don't like any of them and would prefer Lillard/Henson/Zeller. Look, if your job is on the line and you don't want to take chances I can understand that. But last year's draft was all about not taking chances and the supposed 'sure thing' senior player-of-the-year we drafted got outplayed by a lot of 19 and 20 year olds. There is no sure thing. Why would you pass on possible all-stars to draft someone who even at their peak probably tops out as a solid rotation guy?

The fact that practically every lottery team without the number one pick seems SO open and willing to trade their pick is starting to worry me. Maybe it just won't matter who we pick.

Has there been a recent draft with this many lottery picks openly available?

I like how everyone here is so quick to judge mr.Petrie : P

Can you please give Tyreke some time to develop?
Lets Cousin's continue to grow into a superstar?
Allow Jimmer to perfect his NBA game?

He seems to be a patient man, drafted Peja even knowing he couldnt come over for a few years. We still have a helluva lot of money to spend and some good pieces to work with.
Give the team time to jell and come together!

After all, nobody was complaining ten years ago?

However let me end with this

He has made some bonheaded moves which i suspect the maloofs were behind and has had over 10 freakin years to get this team back to some prominence...so yeah

I say give him a few more years and see where the teams stands. If we are not making big strides by that time then go ahead and fire him!

If Petrie was a good GM, this tidbit would hold no weight. An idea this bad shouldn't even make me flinch, but it does now. This franchise has become such a joke. =\

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Jason Jones tweeted he thinks it's unlikely we pick Lillard, for what it's worth. I don't think anyone has a clue what will happen. Also saw another tweet saying most of the league expects our pick to be dealt before the draft. That's the only way I'd lean in that I'd say it's better than 50/50 we flip the pick. But who knows!

I just don't understand what they're thinking. We would be stupid to pass up on a kid like MKG. Defense isn't something many players have in their arsenal. Offense is a dime a dozen but a kid who plays great D, can get to the basket and has huge character should not be passed up because he can't "shoot". The kid is a freshmen so he has time to develop. This team is no where near winning right now.

Trade down for Houston's 16th and 18th plus

Lowry/Scola/16th/18th for Salmons/Thornton/Fredette/5th

Houston could swing Thornton+Salmons+5th+whatever they can package to Orlando for Howard and use Fredette's range with Howard.

For us, we draft Harkless + BPA

PG-Lowry/IT
SG-Evans/Garcia
SF-Harkless/Honeycutt
PF-Scola/Thompson/Hayes
C- Cousins/Whiteside

L

LWP777

Lowry/Scola/16th/18th for Salmons/Thornton/Fredette/5th

Houston could swing Thornton+Salmons+5th+whatever they can package to Orlando for Howard and use Fredette's range with Howard.

For us, we draft Harkless + BPA

PG-Lowry/IT
SG-Evans/Garcia
SF-Harkless/Honeycutt
PF-Scola/Thompson/Hayes
C- Cousins/Whiteside
That's too much for us to give up IMO.

If we don't take Barnes or MKG, we better trade down and get some other parts. Jimmer, Thornton, Salmons, Outlaw should all be on the block, if Tyreke is gonna be the 2 here.