Amick – Sacramento Kings To Pass On Drummond, Iffy On Kidd-Gilchrist And Barnes?

If we draft Lillard (or Waiters for that matter) it will be the biggest test to my devotions as a Kings fan. Lets hope it doesn't come to that. The frustration level with management and GM is at an all time high.

Ok people, according to this thread, which is based on old newspaper clips, Kareem's weight ranged from 225, as a rookie, to 267. John Henson's about the same size as rookie Bill Russell... except Russell was a world-ranked high jumper and Henson can barely get 30 inches off the ground.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
We will not have to move Thornton or Tyreke in order to get a good veteran for the 5. That's ludicrousy. There's a lot of interest in our pick, we hold all the cards.
I think you're overvaluing this draft. Consensus is that it's deep, but the top tier, with the exception of Davis, isn't great. Beal has very little (good) history to judge by and is somewhat undersized. Robinson is somewhat undersized and doesn't have the inside game. MKG can't shoot very well. Barnes isn't athletic. Drummond doesn't have a motor and is a long term project. There is no sure fire All Star in this bunch. There are too many holes in the players following Davis to make people want to trade their know commodities for unknown commodities. Seriously, if you're Houston, why are you going to trade Lowry, one step below an All-Star player, for an unknown rookie who has a few years before he shows whether he can play well or not? You might get lucky and some team does the irrational thing, but I wouldn't bank on it.

If we draft Lillard (or Waiters for that matter) it will be the biggest test to my devotions as a Kings fan. Lets hope it doesn't come to that. The frustration level with management and GM is at an all time high.
People are way to concerned over fit or positions. You draft the BPA and worry about the rest later. Things tend to have a way of working things out.

Do people already forget about Portland passing on MJ because they had Drexler? Doesn't matter if it's the top 3 pick or 2nd round take the BPA.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
People are way to concerned over fit or positions. You draft the BPA and worry about the rest later. Things tend to have a way of working things out.

Do people already forget about Portland passing on MJ because they had Drexler? Doesn't matter if it's the top 3 pick or 2nd round take the BPA.
No it really does matter when you have those positions overstuffed already. Then all you are doing is forcing yourself to trade after the draft. At that point your calculus has to be whether you can get more with a post draft trade, or more by trading the pick. In most cases trading the pick will net you more -- allows other teams to tailor to their own needs, and allows them to dream dumb dreams of what they are trading for. Meanwhile it eliminates the risk of a flop on your end. Barring an absolute sure thing, drafting a guy into a position you have filled with strong players, trading those strong players out of his way, then having him not pan out is a real disaster.

Last edited:

Somewhere in there is an MJ to Lillard comparison. Jerry Reynolds, is that you?

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Ford was just on ESPN radio reiterated that we "don't want to keep the pick" he "expects it to be traded" but if it's not, we're "leaning towards drummond as trade bait after the draft"
They better have a trade partner lined up because this sounds stupid. Draft a guy #5 in a deep year just to trade him. It's moves like this that make our FO look foolish.

They better have a trade partner lined up because this sounds stupid. Draft a guy #5 in a deep year just to trade him. It's moves like this that make our FO look foolish.
Just another smoke screen I'm sure. Petrie's playing his cards close to his chest I think.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Lol, before they even play a game!
Well, I think the point is that we have three priorities that stick out: SF, PF, and PG. If we use this draft, which has very good players at the top two items of need and go after a PG it will test my devotion also. If you can address your biggest need, do it. It doesn't seem like a difficult concept to grasp.

Well, I think the point is that we have three priorities that stick out: SF, PF, and PG. If we use this draft, which has very good players at the top two items of need and go after a PG it will test my devotion also. If you can address your biggest need, do it. It doesn't seem like a difficult concept to grasp.
In your opinion there are very good players available at those positions.... hopefully you can agree that Petrie is much more a draft expert than yourself. It's his calling card... the one thing that he's proven very good at. If he doesn't like the guys available then there's good reason for it... he's analyzed the talent much more than any of us or any of these internet draft sites. And he has a better feel of what to look for. He's just better.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
We have been playing a crappy game for 8 years. Back off.
Not to nic pic, but just to keep the record straignt. 7 years ago we made the playoffs with a record of 44 and 38, and eight years ago we made the playoffs with a record of 50 and 32. I know it may seem that long ago, but its really the last six years that we've been terrible, and one could argue that if we had retained Adelman, it might have been less.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
No it really does matter when you have those positions overstuffed already. then all you are doing is forcing yourself to trade after the draft. At that point your calculus has to be whether you can get more with a post draft trade, or more by trading the pick. IN most cases trading the pick will net you more -- allows other teams to tailor to their own needs, and allows them to dream dumb dreams of what they are trading for. Meanwhile it eliminates the risk of a flop on your end. Barring an absolute sure thing, drafting a guy inoto a position you have filled with strong players, trading those strong players out of his way, then having him not pan out is a real disaster.
The thing is, you don't want to compound all the mistakes you've already made (by imbalancing your roster) by another mistake in which you blow it because you're trying to balance out your roster by drafting for need. They haven't done very well in balancing this roster up until now. So, damned the torpedos, take the BPA, and then take your medicine to get this roster looking like it has some sort of rationale to it rather than assemblage of mismashed parts at a junk yard.

The thing is, you don't want to compound all the mistakes you've already made (by imbalancing your roster) by another mistake in which you blow it because you're trying to balance out your roster by drafting for need. They haven't done very well in balancing this roster up until now. So, damned the torpedos, take the BPA, and then take your medicine to get this roster looking like it has some sort of rationale to it rather than assemblage of mismashed parts at a junk yard.
I agree... I've heard the bpa method called the Jerry West method. Stack chips by acquiring assets when you're not a contender.

I'm sure Wolves don't agree with you. Many people thought it wasn't wise to take Williams with Love there. They took him anyway. Now they are laughed at by Warriors after suggesting #7 for Williams.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
In your opinion there are very good players available at those positions.... hopefully you can agree that Petrie is much more a draft expert than yourself. It's his calling card... the one thing that he's proven very good at. If he doesn't like the guys available then there's good reason for it... he's analyzed the talent much more than any of us or any of these internet draft sites. And he has a better feel of what to look for. He's just better.
If he passes on MKG and picks a PG, let's have a chat after the draft.

I'm sure Wolves don't agree with you. Many people thought it wasn't wise to take Williams with Love there. They took him anyway. Now they are laughed at by Warriors after suggesting #7 for Williams.
What does trading him to the warriors have to do with his draft position? nothing. Your comparing apples and oranges.

If he passes on MKG and picks a PG, let's have a chat after the draft.
If he takes Lillard over MKG then it's because he thinks Lillard is the next CP3 and MKG is the next Trevor Ariza. I agree with you in that I don't believe that's the case, I want MKG or Waiters... but if Petrie does then I'll stand by his pick and hope for the best.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Khan was an idiot for drafting that overrated tweener.

But most people not named me would have. Its kind of one of the classic warnings about the draft. When you've got nothing, then sure, fire away at those high picks and cross your fingers you've nabbed your star. But when it comes time to need something specific, you simply can NOT count on a draft pick to pan out (I would make my personal note, especially when they might be a tweener).

Not to nic pic, but just to keep the record straignt. 7 years ago we made the playoffs with a record of 44 and 38, and eight years ago we made the playoffs with a record of 50 and 32. I know it may seem that long ago, but its really the last six years that we've been terrible, and one could argue that if we had retained Adelman, it might have been less.
Not to counter nit pic, the decline started before our last year of playoffs..

Last edited:
To you, I say...Jimmer.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
The flip side is that the Thunder took James Harden despite having Sefalosha, Durant and Green as wing players. They stockpiled talent and then balanced their roster by trading some of that talent (Green) for what they needed (Perkins).

If Williams were a better player the Wolves would find a way to play he and Love and eventually deal one of them to get what they needed going forward.

I'm not big on Lillard but if he's the best player available then the Kings should take him. I have high hopes that Evans and Cousins can be cornerstones of this team but they've been together 2 years with the team winning 48 games and losing 102 (.311) Statistically that's not even an improvement on the year before DeMarcus arrived. The Kings are not a playoff team looking for a missing piece. They are a bad team who will struggle to attract free agents even IF the Maloofs are willing to open their wallets. So their improvement must come primarily through the draft and/or trades. Which means they should stockpile talent even if it creates logjams.

Marcus Thornton can be an explosive scorer. He's also a poor defender and passer and undersized for his position. Isiah Thomas far exceeded his draft position and showed that he can play at the NBA level. Still, if there's a top flight guard avaible the team can't afford to pass simply because those two are already on the roster.

Stockpile talent and sort it out later. Brick likes pointing out the danger of drafting tweeners and I agree with him. But an even greater truism in the NBA (or NFL for that matter) is that the worst mistake you can make is drafting for need.

I fully expect to not get what I want out of this draft tonight. But I've long since learned to temper my immediate reaction. Petrie rarely does what I hope he'll do. I was happy with Kevin Martin and Gerald Wallace and I REALLY wanted DeMarcus but in general I dont' get what I want. But other than last year being an unmitigated disaster I'm generally proven wrong by Petrie's picks. So unless the pick is traded for vets (who I can obviously already judge) I'll wait until at least the summer league to be excited or disappointed by our draft haul.

If we don't trade the pick I'm hoping for MKG. I also would be happy with Drummond and a trade for Jeff Taylor. But again, I just want to see what happens and I'll let things play out before reacting.

Jimmer has player... count em... ONE season so far. ROTFL at using Jimmer to discredit Petrie. For all any of us know Jimmer will turn out to be one of the better players from that weak draft class last year!!
You don't want me to recount the other bad moves this GM has made (draft and nondraft). It is exhaustive, has been done before, and is quite frankly, annoying. The montra, in Petrie we trust, is long gone. Usually it is just local blowhards that pull for a GM to be fired over incompetency, but our GM has a number of national media on board. His effectiveness is at least a questioned issue, one is niave or foolish not to notice that.

Jimmer has player... count em... ONE season so far. ROTFL at using Jimmer to discredit Petrie. For all any of us know Jimmer will turn out to be one of the better players from that weak draft class last year!!
Yea, seriously. Plus, he was able to get John salmons back at a good contract. It helped us round out the roster to make us more balanced so we can put out a good sized lineup and not have to make people play out of position.