Football (soccer) thread - 2012

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Game of the tourney so far for me. What a game. Really thought Swe would answer after Eng tied it 2-2, but Welbach showed everyone why Sir AF is so high on him. Hell of a finish. Too bad Ibra isn't surrounded by more talent as he may never get that far in big tourney. Is a shame as he's a joy to watch.

UK Kings Fan, what's this about the English not liking Ibra? Heard it a couple times on our broadcast. He's definitely one of the top 5-7 strikers on the world.

Game of the tourney so far for me. What a game. Really thought Swe would answer after Eng tied it 2-2, but Welbach showed everyone why Sir AF is so high on him. Hell of a finish. Too bad Ibra isn't surrounded by more talent as he may never get that far in big tourney. Is a shame as he's a joy to watch.

UK Kings Fan, what's this about the English not liking Ibra? Heard it a couple times on our broadcast. He's definitely one of the top 5-7 strikers on the world.
?? i dont know anyone who doesnt like him but alot of people get frustrated by him having so much talent at not using it

and sweden have alot of quality.... seb,melburg,ollson,ibra and outhers who have played/play in the top leagues

It's not that he's not like but most people dont watch much european football (me included) unless its the champions league. It seems whenever Zlatan has come up against an English team he's flattered to deceive. So people over here dont seem to rate him as highly as on the contenant.

Most people I listen to or speak to accept that he is a good player and shows flashes of brilliance its just he doesnt get seen much over here, unless you make the effort to watch Italian football.

I love Ibra, mostly because he plays for my favourite team and he is one of the most entertaining players I've ever seen. He has one huge problem though: he horribly melts down in big games.

That's for two reasons:
1.He can't handle the pressure. Because of his amazing talents and his temper and/or charisma wherever he's been he always was the guy under the spotlight. Think of LeBron, if his team loses it's him who everytime takes the most of the heat by fans and press. Some players can handle it, some cannot. Ibra is in the latter category.

2.Playing style. The biggest knock on Zlatan's career is that he's never won a Champion's League. On top of that two of his former teams (Inter and Barça) won it immediately after he left. Ibra completely polarizes the offense, to make the most of his talents you have to completely build your offensive system around him. The problem is that he is a ballhog and slows down the game big time. Playing slow, giving the ball to Zlatan with his back to the goal and make your midfielders and forwards run into the spaces works extremely well against mid to low tier teams in your national championship, not so well against better, more organized teams.
Unless you're Barcelona in order to win against very good teams you need to play fast and break down the opposing defensive line, that's why Kakà won the Champion's League basically all by himself in 2007 and Ibra will probably never win it.

Ibrahimovic's talent is not in question, I've never seen a player that big move so well and to the things he does. Talent wise he is one of the best 3-4 pure forwards in the world. He is overrated as a football player though, because he doesn't play a truly winning brand of football.

Greece made it to the next round :)

Good win for a country that reallllly needed something to be happy about. Too bad they will get smoked by Germany.

And Karagounis ... you're killing me with the yellows.

Greece made it to the next round :)

Good win for a country that reallllly needed something to be happy about. Too bad they will get smoked by Germany.

And Karagounis ... you're killing me with the yellows.
His yellow yesterday was complete BS. Clear PK. No way it was a dive.

I'm pulling for Greece, as my fiance's family is from Bulgaria, and given they suck(Berbatov won't even play for them) we're pulling for Greece which is 3 hours south of her hometown, Sofia.

Will need incredible luck to even have a chance for Germ and my boy Ozil, though.:D

His yellow yesterday was complete BS. Clear PK. No way it was a dive.

I'm pulling for Greece, as my fiance's family is from Bulgaria, and given they suck(Berbatov won't even play for them) we're pulling for Greece which is 3 hours south of her hometown, Sofia.

Will need incredible luck to even have a chance for Germ and my boy Ozil, though.:D
they need some sort of system to challenge cards that were unwarranted and would mean somebody would miss the next game. everybody suffers from those. I have bad memories from that kind of a situation, too.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Alexi Lalas and Michael Ballack are hilarious - they seem to almost have animosity towards eachother when Ive watched.
Alexi is a moron and Ballack is pretty sharp but put on English speaking tv their roles are somewhat reversed, I'd be bitter too if I were MB.

Funniest bit I recall was when they were talking to Rossi who makes all of them look sharp about why he chose Italy over USA and Ballack chimes in with "Also he would have a chance to win something" and Lalas got all butt hurt. Of course Rossi would probably be featured a lot more with USA.

Alexi just seems like the Bill Walton of soccer, just looking to get a rise out of people. They even look alike to a degree

As for Rossi.. can't blame him for his decision.. his entire family is italian, it was his parents dream.. and Italy made him the player he is during his youth. However, a outsider looking in, I think the personal glory for him wouldve been to play for the USA.. instead of being one out of many great Italian players, he really could have been a star here and elevated the game.. but hindsight is 20/20

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
LOL @ Lalas

@AlexiLalas
Thank you all for your kind and supportive tweets. You'll never know how much all three of you mean to me.

And more Portugal. uggh.

LOL @ Lalas

@AlexiLalas
Thank you all for your kind and supportive tweets. You'll never know how much all three of you mean to me.

And more Portugal. uggh.
I'll give Lalas two things. He can be funny, and does have a sense of humor, as well as is better than Harkes. But that's about it. He and Ballack have been terrible. Ballack might be intelligent, but I can't tell with the language barrier. Could be coming to MLS though...

Czech Republic were just ordinary. Ronaldo, as overrated as many think he is, was displaying some talent out there. Will be interesting to see if Greece can compete tomorrow against Germany

Hey everybody, just found out about this thread. Liverpool fan here (Not because of past glory, but because of their lack of success lately makes them a bit of an underdog. Plus, Gerrard is pure class). England and Poland are my teams for the Tournament. Also, I find it funny, but I did a FIFA 12 simulation for this tournament and it came back with 2x Spain winning it, and 1x England winning it. Give me 1:3 odds any day haha. If Romania had made it to the Euro, then I'd be heart and soul for them (I'm Romanian), but they suck....

Hey everybody, just found out about this thread. Liverpool fan here (Not because of past glory, but because of their lack of success lately makes them a bit of an underdog. Plus, Gerrard is pure class). England and Poland are my teams for the Tournament. Also, I find it funny, but I did a FIFA 12 simulation for this tournament and it came back with 2x Spain winning it, and 1x England winning it. Give me 1:3 odds any day haha. If Romania had made it to the Euro, then I'd be heart and soul for them (I'm Romanian), but they suck....
correct me if im wrong but do they have radu in there team???

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Things just got real in today's match...

...lesson learned... don't poke the sleeping giant.

Last edited:
My players of the tournament so far -

Ronaldo - Beast, his pace is on another level, his runs in behind and movement are breathtaking.

Ozil - This guy is seriously talented, we all knew it after the world cup but he's on another level now.

Ibrahimovic - Monster, the way he dominated the England back line was a joke, love watching him play.

Jason Bateman look-alike Xabi Alonso putting Spain past France. France didn't put up the fight I thought they had in them. England and Italy is in my opinion the game of this round I was looking forward to seeing. England is playing well under Hodgeson and could well take this

My players of the tournament so far -

Ronaldo - Beast, his pace is on another level, his runs in behind and movement are breathtaking.

Ozil - This guy is seriously talented, we all knew it after the world cup but he's on another level now.

Ibrahimovic - Monster, the way he dominated the England back line was a joke, love watching him play.
I agree but i think you also missed Pirlo, Gerrard ,Selaissi (sp? will edit), Iniesta, Khedira and A. Cole