Football (soccer) thread - 2012

Since football (soccer) is one of my top two sports to spectacte, and the USMNT are one of my favorite teams, I thought it might be good to re-open this thread for those who will be watching this summer.

Worldwide there will be a lot of good games, from the Euro Championship, the Female Olympic games, to the opening legs of our World Cup 2014 qualifying bid.

Heading into this summer I am a lot more confident then I was last summer. Last summer we featured a largely ageing squad that failed to impress in the Gold Cup under Bob Bradley. Coming into this summer, under the tutelage of Jurgen Klinsmann, we have won several games in a row and look like a team that once again has a spark to it.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Always been a huge German national fan so I was elated when Klinsmann was hired (and Bradley fired - imho Michael has drastically stepped up his game too and proved he deserves to be on the first team, looked good in the handful of Chievo games I caught too). I was at the Timbers game last night so have yet to see the Scotland game, sadly I know the result which takes the fun out of it. Thank heavens they didn't call Krissy Boyd over to play :)

Can we just have this be a general football/soccer thread with all the good stuff going on this summer we don't need to focus on the USMNT.

Has anyone here been to Brazil?
My wife has gave the go ahead for a friend and I to go to the 2014 World Cup but ive heard nothing but bad things about Brazils lack of infrastructure. Ive read article after article about how FIFA is going as far as securing a back up site to hold the world cup because brazil is so far behind schedule. It's all making me kinda nervous. Is it even worth it to go?

Has anyone here been to Brazil?
My wife has gave the go ahead for a friend and I to go to the 2014 World Cup but ive heard nothing but bad things about Brazils lack of infrastructure. Ive read article after article about how FIFA is going as far as securing a back up site to hold the world cup because brazil is so far behind schedule. It's all making me kinda nervous. Is it even worth it to go?

I'd go, just because I think the best US team we have ever seen could be on hand (Donovan, Demps, Torres, Bradley, Howard etc. in their primes, under maybe the best coach the US has ever had) for that World Cup. Hopefully Brazil will be ready, beautiful country

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I am gonna try to go. Although fingers crossed it all falls through and winds up in the US instead. Still can't believe the FIFA fix/screwjob on 2018/2022. I don't have a lot of hope for US chances except for the fact that European teams are much more vulnerable on the other side of the world.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
MLSassacre last night in the US Open Cup. 14 games, 7 D2/D3 winners upset their MLS opponents. Crazy night, especially NE Revs blowing a 3-nil lead in EXTRA TIME and losing in shootouts.

Hoping the Timbers and Sounders win tonight for an epic match up next week. Buuuut, if Atlanta wants to beat the flounders...

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Cool featurette on the Timbers Army by Vancouver Whitecaps front office, looks like most of the footage is from Saturday's game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, this 4-1 loss to Brazil was a disheartening display.. before this I had a huge level of confidence in this team, but in the end you just have to say Brazil is better (obviously :(

Gooch should never suit up for The US again.. Gomez looks like he could beat out Altidore up top moving forward for us.

Again , its important to note we didnt play a full A team (maybe 85% of an A -team) out there for this friendly, like we will see in the qualifiers coming up

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I was really talking about how my Timbers lost to a team founded a month ago and coached by Wynalda, but the US result isn't any more exciting. But they are Brazil.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I'll say. So much optimism in the pre-season and no cohesive strategy when the games count. Most of the longtime supporters want GM Wilkinson out but I think Spencer should go first. I hate to be reactionary but somebody should get fired tomorrow.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Not very inspiring nil-nil draw tonight, Canada probably should have won I didn't get a clear explanation on why their goal was disallowed. Both teams had two great chances in stoppage time but otherwise fairly dull US attack. And only ~15k for US-CAN in Toronto???

Yeah, all the momentum they had built the previous 5 games before the Brazil/Canda games - gone...

I expect a win against Antigua for the qualifiers, although that away game vrs Guatamala might be a dog fight! They love their football down there in Central Ameria.. the away games are no joke

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Great games this weekend, though painful to see Ireland destruct. But a big win for Germany makes me happy.

US game was ok, at some point we were lucky to get out of there with all our main components intact. Play got as ugly as Antigua's kits.

we got the first three points out of the way.. I think this next game in guatamala could really be pivotal.

The Euros have been good. Hopefully espn keeps with this level of coverage

Last edited:
Glad to see both Men's and Women's US National Teams starting to play well and make some noise in the Soccer universe. I can't wait to see both squads mature and do some damage. As far as the Euro tournament thats going on at the moment, I have been watching a few games with my brother, and so far, I have yet to be disappointed. Teams have been playing well overall, and it should be a great tournament...

PS: Alex Morgan is HOT

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Apparently CONCACAF allows the host team's federation to determine TV right and Guatemala went for the cash. The one bar here I know showing the match is charging $10/head.

wow sorry i didnt see this thread till today :) being british i love football.... sunderlannd fan by the way

Its such a shame seeing greece playing like this they were doing so well in the poland match and they have just switched off today and are out of the compition

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Never say never with Petr Cech.

Sunderland and Portland Timbers have kind of a friendship dating back to a friendly when we were US D2. Before my time though. I still don't really have a preference for any team in England.

Last edited:
Really i didnt know... how can you not like at a team in england or wales <laugh>

they next game is going to be massive... i expect an amazing atmosphere and some cards

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Still can't settle on one. I think I'd choose Liverpool but everyone I know hates them. Things going for them - Red Sox ownership, Irish element, they just took Swansea's manager who I was inclined to like because of his Elvis night... The other teams in the running would be West Ham and Fulham or maybe Newcastle. I kind of prefer underdogs and those fit the bill plus as long as Dempsey is with Fulham I'll root for them.