Kings talking Tyreke trade???

Glenn

Hall of Famer
So who would you trade Tyreke for?

An All-Star player? That won't happen.

A solid vet a step below an All-Star player? So there you sacrifice the unrealized potential of Tyreke to a less risky "known". I doubt that will happen also. I just don't think Petrie has 99% certainty that Tyreke won't reach All-Star status, and he doesn't want to have the legacy of trading someone who became an All Star for a solid, but not star-quality player.

For a high pick? Maybe. You'd have to know how high the pick was before you did such a trade. You wouldn't trade Tyreke for a lot of ping pong balls. If there is a trade brewing now, it's doubtful it's for picks because you just don't know the particular slot in the draft.

My best guess (if you wanted to trade him) - you trade him for another young player with very high potential who has yet to realize that potential for whatever reason. Just like Tyreke. Or, maybe it's a young star quality player with warts of a different kind. It sure would be ironic if they traded Tyreke for a 3 that fit that bill.
I think trade day picks occur by Petrie in advance presenting the scenario to all the teams that could possibly get the #1 pick and then making the trade (or not) on draft day.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
How do I feel about Rondo exactly?
Because they know what everybody else should know: Rondo is not a star who can carry you. he's the guy who supports the stars that can carry you. And heading into a deep rebuid, what the Celtics need is a new Pierce, a new major star to start over with.

Also Rondo's a bit of a pain in the ***. And of course he's the guy with the trade value if they want to jumpstart the rebuild.

The interesting note is that Evans and Rondo have been attached for a long time. Boston loved Evans and we were in talks to trade the pick for Rondo until we got a look at him in workouts. But that's not our best deal. Our deal is nealry impossible, but you throw the kitchen sink at them with our pick (if its in the lottery), Jimmer, Hickson, any of Donte, Whiteside or Honeycutt they want, take a bad contract if they want to dump it, etc. Then you cross your fingers.
This, along with other Rondo related comments of yours that weren't as easy to locate, I get the feeling you wouldn't trade Evans for Rondo, which is actually a trade I don't think Boston would do without having us throw in Hickson, and possibly Jimmer ... or one of the projects (Honeycutt/Whiteside).

This may be more about how much you value Evans than your evaluation of Rondo though, which is fair.

I also think a lot of people worry about Rondo off the court, which takes his value as a player down. I don't. And it's not a "I'm right, you're wrong' situation to those people, I just don't think its an issue. I think Kevin Garnett is an ***, and I think Paul Pierce isn't much better. Rondo's bad reputation is more about clashing with the vets from the 2008 year then his general bad attitude. They gave Rondo so much **** when they were still good, and now that they are old and realize they need him they have toned it down quite a bit.

Has there ever been a bigger thread about nothing in the history of kingsfan.com?

Trade for Tyreke? Are we talking for Lebron James or Luke Walton? Without specifics how can anyone have an opinion?

Glenn

Hall of Famer
This quote from Gavin make anyone else nervous?

"With no disrespect to our past coaches, we really have someone who everybody likes now. The players like him, the basketball staff likes him, we trust him, and he knows the game. Keith Smart is a wonderful coach, and we're lucky to have him. ... Yes, we'll pick it up. We want him to be our coach forever."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/03/02/smart.kings/index.html#ixzz1o0BqaNI5
Here's more and it makes me wonder who is making the player deceisions. It sure doesn't sound like it is Smart. The Maloofs are lucky to have Smart as he will just kiss their arse and take the paycheck.

"What's more, Maloof said it's led to the official end of the Tyreke Evans point-guard project. Evans played the point in his first two-plus seasons, but he has been moved to small forward for the last six games. All of which makes for an interesting time for the 2009 Rookie of the Year, as he is eligible for an extension this summer but is hardly assured of being offered one.

"He'll be the point-forward, not the point guard anymore," Maloof said. "The point guard is Isaiah and Jimmer and those guys. It's an incredible surprise [how Thomas is playing]. Nobody gave the guy a chance and I'm so proud of our basketball operations to pick him at No. 60, and then to have the success that he's having says a lot for the scouts. They really picked a winner there."​

Do people now know who orchestrates this team?

People like to speculate and play fantasy basketball.

Even the smallest rumble about nothing will generate some response. Especially in this day and age!

Sorry was replying to Kupman

Last edited:
Here's more and it makes me wonder who is making the player deceisions. It sure doesn't sound like it is Smart. The Maloofs are lucky to have Smart as he will just kiss their arse and take the paycheck.

"What's more, Maloof said it's led to the official end of the Tyreke Evans point-guard project. Evans played the point in his first two-plus seasons, but he has been moved to small forward for the last six games. All of which makes for an interesting time for the 2009 Rookie of the Year, as he is eligible for an extension this summer but is hardly assured of being offered one.

"He'll be the point-forward, not the point guard anymore," Maloof said. "The point guard is Isaiah and Jimmer and those guys. It's an incredible surprise [how Thomas is playing]. Nobody gave the guy a chance and I'm so proud of our basketball operations to pick him at No. 60, and then to have the success that he's having says a lot for the scouts. They really picked a winner there."​

I didn't read it in the same way, just sounds like he's saying what he sees, this is coming from the people who didn't even know that Smart was offered a 2 year contract. I find it hard to believe they are leaning on Smart in that way.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer

And no offense to IT, but CP3 had his way with him, whereas Reke has matched up extremely well with the top pg's in the game. IT is playing well, but it's been two frickin weeks. The problems we saw yesterday won't go anywhere.

So, was Smart right a month ago when he told everyone Reke WAS a pg? Or is he right now when he says Reke IS a SF? This phenomenal brainiac did a complete 180 in under a month. He also said Salmons did everything besides shooting well, up until the day he benched him, although just about every stat showed otherwise. It's extremely worrying when owner are publicly stating they completely agree with the latest Smart has said, when he changes his stance every few weeks.

I am hearing far to much judgement based on emotion, from fans all the way to ownership. It's fine to be excited. IT was a steal. But its been about two weeks, and in those two weeks we're 2-4. I think I'll keep my excitement tempered and try to stay objective.

Last edited:
I would offer Tyreke for Rudy Gay. It gets us the small forward we need badly, and apparently as of last week he didn't seem too happy in Memphis. Other than a really awesome trade that you simply cannot refuse, you hire a shooting coach and you lock him and Tyreke in the gym the entire summer for 10 hours a day. You just don't trade someone like Tyreke. Also, maybe a great PG mentor would help too

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I didn't read it in the same way, just sounds like he's saying what he sees, this is coming from the people who didn't even know that Smart was offered a 2 year contract. I find it hard to believe they are leaning on Smart in that way.
He thinks the point guards will be IT, Jimmer, and those guys. It was the Maloofs who were excited about Jimmer and thought it was their role to attend his tryout at the practice facility. Jimmer has shown to be lacking in defense and an ability to dribble when pressured. Certainly Smart can't be as excited about Jimmer as Maloof. I don't want to argue about minutiae (too much :) ) but I have long thought that the Maloofs have shackled Petrie with their need to preserve cash and even in this #10 pick in last year's draft. They were excused on their promise to spend money last summer because "they tried."

The Maloof fingerprints are all over the decline of this team and behind it is their financial decline. I do not question their love for the Kings and their desire to win but I certainly think their personal finances are putting severe brakes on any move the team could make and they are too in love with having the spotlight on them as owners of an NBA team to realize that the best thing they could do for the Kings and maybe for their personal finances is to sell the team.

Now, all of that is my opinion but I suspect there is a lot more fact than fiction in what I said.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
And no offense to IT, but CP3 had his way with him, whereas Reke has matched up extremely well with the top pg's in the game. IT is playing well, but it's been two frickin weeks. The problems we saw yesterday won't go anywhere.

So, was Smart right a month ago when he told everyone Reke WAS a pg? Or is he right now when he says Reke IS a SF? This phenomenal brainiac did a complete 180 in under a month. He also said Salmons did everything besides shooting well, up until the day he benched him, although just about every stat showed otherwise. It's extremely worrying when owner are publicly stating they completely agree with the latest Smart has said, when he changes his stance every few weeks.

I am hearing far to much judgement based on emotion, from fans all the way to ownership. It's fine to be excited. IT was a steal. But its been about two weeks, and in those two weeks we're 2-4. I think I'll keep my excitement tempered and try to stay objective.
I think the Maloofs are great fans but as that, should keep their front row seats and stay a respectable distance away from the running of the team. It is their right to do whatever they please but they are not helping!!!!!

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think trade day picks occur by Petrie in advance presenting the scenario to all the teams that could possibly get the #1 pick and then making the trade (or not) on draft day.
That could happen. But this talk about Tyreke being traded implies something *now* before the trade deadline, which doesn't allow for anybody to know the draft slot.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

My guess is that Maloof is just mouthing what he's heard from management and/or coaching staff. He's not creating it, just reflecting it.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I think the Maloofs are great fans but as that, should keep their front row seats and stay a respectable distance away from the running of the team. It is their right to do whatever they please but they are not helping!!!!!
I think Petrie needs to stop hiding in the shadows and start speaking up, instead of letting Gavin speak on personnel decisions publicly. I'd love to hear what Petrie thinks, and what his plan is(hasn't commented YET on last summer's debacle), instead of having Smart mix and match, and Gavin stating who is or isn't going to be our pg's and sf of the future.

Only my opinion.

Ryan

I like turtles
I would rather make a huge push to get Sloan and see if he can figure out how to use Tyreke. Sloan .. is .. available.
I love the idea of Sloan, but could he deal with Cousins? Didn't Sloan leave the Jazz because he couldn't handle Deron Williams's attitude?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
This quote from Gavin make anyone else nervous?

"With no disrespect to our past coaches, we really have someone who everybody likes now. The players like him, the basketball staff likes him, we trust him, and he knows the game. Keith Smart is a wonderful coach, and we're lucky to have him. ... Yes, we'll pick it up. We want him to be our coach forever."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/03/02/smart.kings/index.html#ixzz1o0BqaNI5
The last time he said that, Reggie Theus wound up jobless

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I would offer Tyreke for Rudy Gay. It gets us the small forward we need badly, and apparently as of last week he didn't seem too happy in Memphis. Other than a really awesome trade that you simply cannot refuse, you hire a shooting coach and you lock him and Tyreke in the gym the entire summer for 10 hours a day. You just don't trade someone like Tyreke. Also, maybe a great PG mentor would help too

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm
Gay has a rather ridiculous contract though and is another scorer type which we would still have in spades even without Reke (Cuz, MT, IT, Jimmer)

Entity

Hall of Famer
I distinctly remember coach smart a few weeks back when we had the winning streak saying tyreke isn't a sf he is a pg. now when did that change. The inception Thomas has produced exactly 2 wins against horrible teams. How us this working? Yeah it's working for Thomas and his stats but as a team not so much.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I distinctly remember coach smart a few weeks back when we had the winning streak saying tyreke isn't a sf he is a pg. now when did that change. The inception Thomas has produced exactly 2 wins against horrible teams. How us this working? Yeah it's working for Thomas and his stats but as a team not so much.
Ha. You mean this, from not even 5 weeks ago.

Some have suggested Evans should be moved to small forward and force him to play off the ball.

Smart doesn't agree that is the best thing to do with with Evans.

"He can't play the three," Smart said after Sunday's practice. "That guy was born with a basketball in his hand - got to keep that thing in his hand. I've tried that one time and that doesn't work so I'm not going to go back to that one because he's not a small forward."
http://blogs.sacbee.com/sports/king...#mi_rss=Kings Blog and Q&A#storylink=misearch

So what does this say? I have an opinion but it might be too early to share it here.

Last edited:

Entity

Hall of Famer
the lineup of Tyreke, Marcu, Salmons, Thompson, and Cousins went 4-5 with 4 of the losses on the road during our longest road trip ever beating teams like OKC and Por. The lineup of Thomas, Thornton, Evans, Thompson and Cousins has gone 2-4 beating Utah and Washington.

Now i don't mine a tweek of the lineup but I would have done it at the SF position since Salmons was largely ineffective during that time. I would have gone with Donte or Garcia. I would however make sure that Thomas still gets 20 min a game. Thomas production per min did not go up just his min. he was getting 10-14 per game with 20 min now getting around 20 pts per game at around 40 min. Well duh. thats how it works. Salmons production has stayed the same. I would like to see this lineup myself

Evans
Thornton
Greene
Thompson
Cousins

bench (in order of most min per game)
Thomas
Hayes
Salmons
Hickson
Jimmer
Garcia

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
the lineup of Tyreke, Marcu, Salmons, Thompson, and Cousins went 4-5 with 4 of the losses on the road during our longest road trip ever beating teams like OKC and Por. The lineup of Thomas, Thornton, Evans, Thompson and Cousins has gone 2-4 beating Utah and Washington.

Now i don't mine a tweek of the lineup but I would have done it at the SF position since Salmons was largely ineffective during that time. I would have gone with Donte or Garcia. I would however make sure that Thomas still gets 20 min a game. Thomas production per min did not go up just his min. he was getting 10-14 per game with 20 min now getting around 20 pts per game at around 40 min. Well duh. thats how it works. Salmons production has stayed the same. I would like to see this lineup myself

Evans
Thornton
Greene
Thompson
Cousins

bench (in order of most min per game)
Thomas
Hayes
Salmons
Hickson
Jimmer
Garcia
I agree with most of this. Thing is, I have no problem with IT starting. I like what he's doing. My problem is that if you're moving IT into the starting 5 then you have to finish that change by moving MT to the 6th man, and have Donte/Salmons play SF. Otherwise, you went half way, which doesn't help the team overall. Just solved one problem, but created a few others.

I agree with most of this. Thing is, I have no problem with IT starting. I like what he's doing. My problem is that if you're moving IT into the starting 5 then you have to finish that change by moving MT to the 6th man, and have Donte/Salmons play SF. Otherwise, you went half way, which doesn't help the team overall. Just solved one problem, but created a few others.
I agree 100%. Personally, I don't care if IT is starting, or Thornton is starting. We could go with IT - Evans - SF - JT - Cousins or Evans - Thornton - SF - JT - Cousins. Personally, I would go with the first option. I've said that many times, but I do believe Marcus' role has to be the 6th man. He can have a great impact on games starting from the bench. He could give us instant offense when DMC and Reke are resting. The point is, we can't keep playing Evans at the 3.

By the way, my choice for SF would be Greene. Why? Because I believe he is the only one who is not completely useless, and that could still get better. Salmons and Garcia won't get better, and I don't consider Outlaw a basketball player. Then, Salmons is looking a little better starting from the bench, so I would keep him in that role.

I have come to the conclusion that Greene must be super lazy in practice or something, because every coach he has had has refused to play him even when he performed well in games. I think almost every single one of us could agree on a

Reke
Thornton
Greene
JT
DMC

lineup or a

Reke
IT
Greene
JT
DMC

lineup.

Yet Smart has refused to play the most logical lineups we have. Not even once. I don't think that lineup has ever been on the court together. We have one guy on the team who is a legitimate 3 size and skill wise and that is Greene. By far our weakest position is the 3. We routinely get destroyed because we are undersized at the 3. How does it not make sense to a least try this lineup for 5 games?

First we take way way way too long to put Salmons nonproductive butt on the bench where he belongs. Then instead of running a real lineup we instead move our best guard to SF where he is undersized with the logical end result.