[Game] Game Thread: Kings at Grizzlies 1/21/12

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
This game is an example of why I've been saying, my whole life, that offense is overrated: Kings are on pace for 101 points, and are down twenty-six. Egad.

Every time we are losing, Smart goes small. Really starting to pee me off. We are getting slaughtered on defense, and Smarts answer is to go small?

We are best when Cousins and Reke are heavily involved. That isn't foolish.
We've also been our worst when they are involved.

The point you can make is that we do well when Reke and Cousins are playing like the stars that some of you claim them to be. Essentially you're telling me that we tend to do well when 2 of our 5 starters are playing a good game. I'm not certain I understand the "point."

Again... no formula of starters/who-does-what has been consistently effective for this team.

Poor move by Smart leaving the smallball lineup in there when it clearly was costing us the game. His stubbornness to remove what wasn't working (i.e., Thomas) was...Westphalian.

Hate to say it because I like the guy, but IT has been hurting us badly tonight.
Yup. But also, running both he and Jimmer out there together is making life twice as hard on them, and Smart should realize that. Have to play either one with Reke. Smart is setting them up to fail on defense.

We've also been our worst when they are involved.

The point you can make is that we do well when Reke and Cousins are playing like the stars that some of you claim them to be. Essentially you're telling me that we tend to do well when 2 of our 5 starters are playing a good game. I'm not certain I understand the "point."

Again... no formula of starters/who-does-what has been consistently effective for this team.
I didn't say only 2 of the 5 starters play well. Where'd you get that? I said we're best when Reke and Cousins are heavily involved, which leads to them naturally commanding more attention, thus opening it up and making it easier for everyone else, the role players.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
No chance if we do not have our bi three guys going, or at elast two of them. A dn we didn't.

But even with al that said peopel have to be realsitic here: this has actualy been a GOOD gaem by our admittedly low offensive standards this season. We ar on pace to score 100, coudl get 20 assists. The problem is that other end. Don't know why fans have such a ahrd time seeing the defensive end of the coru, but when you score 100 and your oponent scores 120 its not the offense that let you down.

Yup. But also, running both he and Jimmer out there together is making life twice as hard on them, and Smart should realize that. Have to play either one with Reke. Smart is setting them up to fail on defense.
Unfortunately it's not their guards who are killing us, and the defense was just as bad in the first quarter with our typical starting lineup. In general, this team plays bad defense. I'm trying to think of a name for someone who plays good defense on this team, but it just won't come to me. I guess you could say Cousins... but it's just not saying much.

I didn't say only 2 of the 5 starters play well. Where'd you get that? I said we're best when Reke and Cousins are heavily involved, which leads to them naturally commanding more attention, thus opening it up and making it easier for everyone else, the role players.
Agree to disagree, buddy

Poor move by Smart leaving the smallball lineup in there when it clearly was costing us the game. His stubbornness to remove what wasn't working (i.e., Thomas) was...Westphalian.
I wonder if he has any solutions besides going small. He appears to go small whenever we get down, regardless of the opponent. Not a good sign.

Words cannot describe how much I hate Marc Gasol and Mike Connely right now. On the bright side, at least Jimmer finally showed flashes of what he's capable of. Too bad the rest of the team decided to suck.

As much as fans seem to like Smart, his coaching method has not been much different from Westphal... at least in his lineups and subbing.
We can only sub in the players we have on the team and we can't play our best players 48 minutes a night. Considering what he has to work with, the subs have not been that bad.

As much as fans seem to like Smart, his coaching method has not been much different from Westphal... at least in his lineups and subbing.
Our offense has looked better under him. It's the other side of the court he appears to ignore, and actually sets players up to fail at.

How can ANYONE complain about "going small" hurting our defense when this team CONSISTENTLY gets completely WRECKED under the rim? Are our bigs even trying right now to play defense?

Our offense has looked better under him. It's the other side of the court he appears to ignore, and actually sets players up to fail at.
We just had two games in a row where we held some pretty good teams under 90 points. Our problem is consistency and Smart can't do that much about it. We just have to play.

Words cannot describe how much I hate Marc Gasol and Mike Connely right now. On the bright side, at least Jimmer finally showed flashes of what he's capable of. Too bad the rest of the team decided to suck.
Well...Jimmer was good, but still is 5-13. Donte is bringing it tonight even though we're getting our butt spanked.

Unfortunately it's not their guards who are killing us, and the defense was just as bad in the first quarter with our typical starting lineup. In general, this team plays bad defense. I'm trying to think of a name for someone who plays good defense on this team, but it just won't come to me. I guess you could say Cousins... but it's just not saying much.
sam dalembert... oh wait :(

Not much of a consolation, but few if any teams would beat the Grizz the way they're playing tonight.

That being said, I feel like we're the only team that lets them get this way.

Glad to see Jimmer finally showed what he's capable of and was hitting buckets. He looked a lot more sure of himself. Tough night though, I hope they can put this behind them.

Maybe the kid finally got laid :p.

gunks

Hall of Famer
We can only sub in the players we have on the team and we can't play our best players 48 minutes a night. Considering what he has to work with, the subs have not been that bad.
This. Petrie done F'd up with this squad. Not digging Thornton, Salmons, JJ, or Outlaw...All guys we got (or resigned this summer). Bad defense and worse chemistry from those dudes.

There has been improvement under Smart. But he can only go so far with what he has.

Go look at the stats for yourself. Our best defensive lineups do not include small ball.

http://www.82games.com/1112/1112SAC2.HTM
Our best defensive lineups are still some of the absolute WORST in the entire league, and contain players who have no clue how to play offense.

In related news, some of Saddam Hussein's most charitable moments came while he was holding semi-automatics and not automatics.
^ See what I did there?

Not much of a consolation, but few if any teams would beat the Grizz the way they're playing tonight.

That being said, I feel like we're the only team that lets them get this way.

Glad to see Jimmer finally showed what he's capable of and was hitting buckets. He looked a lot more sure of himself. Tough night though, I hope they can put this behind them.

Maybe the kid finally got laid :p.
Sometimes you just lose games. Philly lost by 21 to a Wade-less Miami.