[Game] Game Thread: Kings at Grizzlies 1/21/12

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
So first off, an apology. As many of our long time posters now, Game Threads are normally accompanied by a write-up and awards for the previous game. Piksi, venom, and ryandty handled this for years until last year, when I took charge of the whole thing because the other people have these things called life. Well, unfortunately, this year, I've kind of fallen into this camp. I'll try to do them when I can but life is seriously kicking me in the *** right now and I would rather spend my free time actually watching Kings games than writing about them, sorry.

The team is playig much better as of late. It would seem that having an actual coach makes a rather big difference in the outcome of games. Speaking of which, the last time we played the Grizzlies, it wasn't pretty (one of the games in the streak that got Westphal fired). Let's see if things change this time around.

As I have neither the energy or time for an actual write-up and awards, I hope that a hearty "GO KINGS!" will suffice.

PS, for Sactown area viewers, the Small Market Big Heart documentary airs on Fox40 at 4 pm today.

Not sure if anyone's looked at the schedule, but this month and next are BRUTAL..
22 road games! So...if we make it out alive in striking distance of any playoff spot...March/April are pretty much the opposite...with the majority of games at home. The guys need to mature and pull it together every night from now on. Hopefully the Chuckwagon's not too far from coming back. I still think Petrie pulls off another trade for another veteran by the deadline to help out too.

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone's looked at the schedule, but this month and next are BRUTAL..
27 road games! So...if we make it out alive in striking distance of any playoff spot...March/April are pretty much the opposite...with the majority of games at home. The guys need to mature and pull it together every night from now on. Hopefully the Chuckwagon's not too far from coming back. I still think Petrie pulls off another trade for another veteran by the deadline to help out too.
A playoff run would be awesome, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Tyreke will have monster games, Cousins will have monster games, Thornton will have monster games. Two of the Three need to coordinate and have monster games on the same night for us to get a win.

Either that or the bench needs to start figuring out how to work as a cohesive second unit.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
If we come out of the next month within 10 games of .500, we'll be in good shape. Well, at least on a path better than last year. Oh, who knows? So far the year hasn't continued the hideous trend it started at and so far I am satisfied. Had my doubts for awhile. It's time for the dour fish to break loose, don'tcha think?.

I see this game as a progress measurement. The last game against the Grizz was the point in the season where you knew for sure that Westphal was not long for this NBA world. Now I watch to see if the team can show a different face against a team that abused them a couple weeks ago.

It's starting to look like Thornton's whole game is based on being quicker than opposing 2guards. He has had trouble when matched up against PGs.