NEWS: Kings trade Casspi + first rounder for JJ Hickson

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
well knight would fit better then jimmer , jimmer and thorton are playing the same kind of game (creating for them selfs ) and they sure wont fit with tyreke , as i said earlier this team needs about 3 balls in order to be in order
Yeah, our ball movement would have been a lot better had we kept Casspi and his 0.8 shot-to-touch ratio.

Hey, I like Casspi and all, but every time he gets the ball he thinks he's supposed to shoot it. And you come in to tell us that losing Casspi will cause ball-movement issues? Heh.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'm liking the second leg of Petrie's trades:

Artest ==> Casspi + Greene ==> Greene + Hickson

Martin ==> Landry ==> Thornton

(Ok, I fudged some on the #1 pick)

Now, I'd like to know:

Beno ==> Salmons ==> ?

Yeah, our ball movement would have been a lot better had we kept Casspi and his 0.8 shot-to-touch ratio.

Hey, I like Casspi and all, but every time he gets the ball he thinks he's supposed to shoot it. And you come in to tell us that losing Casspi will cause ball-movement issues? Heh.
never said that , I said loosing knight and adding jimmer will

I'm happy, yet somewhat confused on what we are trying to do here. We were rumored to be going after Tyson Chandler hard, but then go and trade for a PF. With Hickson, Cousins and Thompson we seem to have a log jam at PF now unless we want to move Cousins to C. I don't like moving Cousins to C, and believe we need we defensive minded guy like Chandler/Dalembert next to him. Maybe we believe Thompson is a good enough defender to start next to Cousins? But then that will make Hickson mad being a bench player and with only 1year left we could end up coming out with nothing on this trade.

But overall I believe we won on this trade on a pure talent level. Casspi could end up being a starter at SF sure, but it was obvious he didn't like being in Sacramento and was selfish at times. Hickson, still only being 22 has a ton of potential to grow as a PF, and hopefully we can motivate him to become more of a factor on defense since we are loaded with offensive skill.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm just saying that I don't think Casspi is shining a turd (in his mind, anyway). I think he's genuinely excited to be out of Sacramento and in a situation where he might be a starter and get more shots.
No disagreement. I actually think Casspi has talent, and I would have liked to see how he might have played in a different situation. It was a bad situation for both Green and Casspi. Both are young players, and I think expectations were too high by some of the people on this fourm because of the way they were handled. But it is what it is, and I wish him well. In no way was I trying to defend his play, but at the same time, its not personal with me. It appears to be with some people. Misdirected anger in my opinion..

K

Kingsguy881

i read many posts about how people are happy about the "progress " the team has made in the last month of the season. team was ****ty at the begining of the year and it will be ****ty next year and will be untill Westpaul is fired, he only succeded when he coached "pistol" and carl malone because he didnt need to do anything and thats what his good at
He never coached either of those guys. Get your **** straight, then get out.

I'm happy, yet somewhat confused on what we are trying to do here. We were rumored to be going after Tyson Chandler hard, but then go and trade for a PF. With Hickson, Cousins and Thompson we seem to have a log jam at PF now unless we want to move Cousins to C. I don't like moving Cousins to C, and believe we need we defensive minded guy like Chandler/Dalembert next to him. Maybe we believe Thompson is a good enough defender to start next to Cousins? But then that will make Hickson mad being a bench player and with only 1year left we could end up coming out with nothing on this trade.

But overall I believe we won on this trade on a pure talent level. Casspi could end up being a starter at SF sure, but it was obvious he didn't like being in Sacramento and was selfish at times. Hickson, still only being 22 has a ton of potential to grow as a PF, and hopefully we can motivate him to become more of a factor on defense since we are loaded with offensive skill.
Rumored to be going after Chandler?
Where did you head those rumors?

Kings fans on this site stated that he would be a great pickup for us and would have been a long shot, but no actual rumors from the media, front office, or anybody.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
now i gotta ask you guys
how can u build a team with the players you have right now
a lot of players who can create for them selfs
and thats it
i dont say casspi was the diffrence but when the kings go jimmer instead of knight i really got worried about the teams base
never seen a team who built is so flaless
A new pair of glasses and some knowledge would be a great help to you.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

Cousins is a center. He can't guard PFs nearly as well as centers. You've got two PFs to battle it out: Thompson and Hickson (maybe Whiteside if he fully recovers from injury). I'm not including Dally in the mix because he's a FA.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
well knight would fit better then jimmer , jimmer and thorton are playing the same kind of game (creating for them selfs ) and they sure wont fit with tyreke , as i said earlier this team needs about 3 balls in order to be in order
And you base this judgement on what? How many times did you see Jimmer play last season? Just exactly what do you know about his game?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
No disagreement. I actually think Casspi has talent, and I would have liked to see how he might have played in a different situation. It was a bad situation for both Green and Casspi. Both are young players, and I think expectations were too high by some of the people on this fourm because of the way they were handled. But it is what it is, and I wish him well. In no way was I trying to defend his play, but at the same time, its not personal with me. It appears to be with some people. Misdirected anger in my opinion..
This is where I totally disagree with you: It was a GREAT situation for Casspi. He got tons of playing time that on another veteran team he wouldn't have. He had major opportunity over two years to show what he could do. He absolutely failed. Does that mean he's consigned to the ash heap of NBA basketball? No, that's the great thing about being young - he can improve his game. But to say that he didn't have an opportunity is beyond the pail.

The trade and acquisition/retention of a center are not mutually exclusive.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Well I don't think Casspi was worthless. Most of the problems he had last year are correctable with better coaching and a more defined role. Like Greene it seems like his development has been pushed to the side while management focuses on other players, which is unfortunate because he looked like he might be a key building block for the first half of his rookie year. In any case it'll probably help both Greene and Casspi that they no longer have to compete with each other for minutes. They're both talented, but one of them had to go to accelerate development and Casspi pretty much wrote his own ticket out of Sacramento with his attitude last year.

As for the trade, Casspi for Hickson is probably a wash in terms of talent. If Casspi had played for that embarrassment in Cleveland last year he would have been playing starters minutes too and compiling bigger numbers. I don't see why we had to be the ones to throw in the first round pick there with the talents involved, but it's got enough protection on it that it's not a huge deal. But with a pick going to Cleveland the trade isn't a win for us, it's just meh. Removes a logjam at SF but creates another one at PF. Neither Hickson nor Thompson is talented enough to be a full-time starter which makes the two of them somewhat redundant. I'm still waiting for a move that makes the team significantly better, and with the lockout I'm probably going to have to wait a long time.

I saw it on ESPN. Rumored the Kings and Toronto have the most interest, but that it is unlikely Chandler wants to go from a championship squad to a rebuilding one.
Yeah, I may have been wrong about Amick mentioning Chandler specifically, but Stein did. Unfortunately out of all of the DAL FA's, Chandler is the one they would want/need to keep the most.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
and dont let me start speaking about Paul WP
that coach is a joke and u guys like him , its like u guys are fine with loosing most of the games
and playing a ugly gamestyle , coach just lets guys play the way they want , and the way tyreke plays
is not pretty
Do you read this forum?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
When did Donte Greene come into the discussion? I never mentioned him. But, yes, of course Casspi is a better offensive player than Greene but that's doesn't change what I think about Casspi and his selfishness on and off the court.

Bottom line is, you tend to defend any player or anything that is Kings related. You're almost too positive, if that's possible! I need some more critical thinking from you Baja!
Thats the biggest load of crap I've ever heard. I criticize players all the time. I just don't choose to make it a personal issue. I've criticized Casspi, Greene, Westpahl, Evans, Cousins, Dalembert, Petrie, Beno, and Cisco. Just because I do it in a civilized manner doesn't make it less of a criticism. I also try and point out when others that are criticizing are wrong. Its one thing to take note of a players defiencies, its quite another to call him a slug, or a worthless piece of crap, or imply that the player can't do anything right. Thats just ignorant crap!!!!!!!!!!!!

So if you think I don't criticize players, your just not paying attention. I just did a critique of Hickson, and I pointed out that he's not a very good passer. Thats called a criticism. Comprende? Now I'll admit to being in a very very very foul mood today. I've had some things go wrong, that are unreparable, so if I'm a little rude, I apologize. But I'm not in the mood for crap, and having my integrity questioned.

As yes, I'am a positive person, and I have no use for negative people, and in my personal life, I won't associate with such people. When I was in the marine corps, the last person I wanted in a foxhole with me was someone that was screaming, "We're all going to die".

L

LWP777

Well I don't think Casspi was worthless. Most of the problems he had last year are correctable with better coaching and a more defined role. Like Greene it seems like his development has been pushed to the side while management focuses on other players, which is unfortunate because he looked like he might be a key building block for the first half of his rookie year. In any case it'll probably help both Greene and Casspi that they no longer have to compete with each other for minutes. They're both talented, but one of them had to go to accelerate development and Casspi pretty much wrote his own ticket out of Sacramento with his attitude last year.

As for the trade, Casspi for Hickson is probably a wash in terms of talent. If Casspi had played for that embarrassment in Cleveland last year he would have been playing starters minutes too and compiling bigger numbers. I don't see why we had to be the ones to throw in the first round pick there with the talents involved, but it's got enough protection on it that it's not a huge deal. But with a pick going to Cleveland the trade isn't a win for us, it's just meh. Removes a logjam at SF but creates another one at PF. Neither Hickson nor Thompson is talented enough to be a full-time starter which makes the two of them somewhat redundant. I'm still waiting for a move that makes the team significantly better, and with the lockout I'm probably going to have to wait a long time.
This is the kind of thinking that makes my head want to explode. It's always somebody else's fault. It's the coaches fault. It's the organization's fault. It's the system's fault. Both Casspi and Greene had MORE than enough opportunities to show what they can do. They played on one of the worst teams in the league where there wasn't much competition for the SF spot. They both failed. Miserably, I might add. They simply aren't good NBA players. One or both of them might become a decent 7th or 8th man someday but that is the extent of it.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
and dont let me start speaking about Paul WP
that coach is a joke and u guys like him , its like u guys are fine with loosing most of the games
and playing a ugly gamestyle , coach just lets guys play the way they want , and the way tyreke plays
is not pretty
The word Troll springs to mind.

let's just say that the trade is good for both sides, Casspi obviously wasn't happy in his second year in Sacramento, his mind wasn't there and thus wasn't contributing much, Hickson is by far more talented player, although he's not consistent (Casspi neither). it's a good trade for the caves also because the knew JJ is about to leave at the end of his contract.... but at the end of the day we're going to a lockout probably so it won't matter anyway.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
lit's a good trade for the caves also because the knew JJ is about to leave at the end of his contract....
But he's restricted, at least under the terms of the current CBA and I don't see things changing in a way to facilitate more player movement early in their careers.

L

LWP777

Thats the biggest load of crap I've ever heard. I criticize players all the time. I just don't choose to make it a personal issue. I've criticized Casspi, Greene, Westpahl, Evans, Cousins, Dalembert, Petrie, Beno, and Cisco. Just because I do it in a civilized manner doesn't make it less of a criticism. I also try and point out when others that are criticizing are wrong. Its one thing to take note of a players defiencies, its quite another to call him a slug, or a worthless piece of crap, or imply that the player can't do anything right. Thats just ignorant crap!!!!!!!!!!!!

So if you think I don't criticize players, your just not paying attention. I just did a critique of Hickson, and I pointed out that he's not a very good passer. Thats called a criticism. Comprende? Now I'll admit to being in a very very very foul mood today. I've had some things go wrong, that are unreparable, so if I'm a little rude, I apologize. But I'm not in the mood for crap, and having my integrity questioned.

As yes, I'am a positive person, and I have no use for negative people, and in my personal life, I won't associate with such people. When I was in the marine corps, the last person I wanted in a foxhole with me was someone that was screaming, "We're all going to die".
Baja, I'm sorry you're having a bad day and I really do enjoy reading a lot of your posts. I think you are incredibly insightful and very in depth about a lot of basketball stuff. However, it just seems that sometimes you have a hard time just admitting that a player is garbage. And, FYI, I never got personal with Casspi. I never called him names. In fact, I even said I thought he was a good kid who had a big heart. I just think he's very selfish when it comes to basketball. I am entitled to say that.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
i read many posts about how people are happy about the "progress " the team has made in the last month of the season. team was ****ty at the begining of the year and it will be ****ty next year and will be untill Westpaul is fired, he only succeded when he coached "pistol" and carl malone because he didnt need to do anything and thats what his good at
Dude, your seriously embarrasing yourself. Not only are you a troll, your an uneducated troll. Westphal never coached Pistol Pete or Malone. and its Karl by the way. I normally wouldn't point that out, but I made an exception with you.

Great trade. I don't see how this means we are not highly interested in resigning Dally. JJ isn't the answer for his departure, so I don't consider that preparation either. We absolutely must find a way to keep him. Not only is he a good player, but he is a glue-piece that helps our players mesh in the locker room. Maybe we the Fans can do something to keep him here hmm? Maybe a giant Dalembert float? A mountain of fanmail? He seems like a sentimental guy :)

As for Casspi, his value was in his cultural connections. That is why Cleveland did this trade. We sacrificed money for skill, which is what a serious owner would do if he wanted to get into the playoffs. I commend the Maloofs for this.

Here are a few few words about JJ coming from a cavs fans. He is insanely athletic. He has good hoops and can throw some dunks down. He has a lot of potential and room to grow. However, he is lazy, unmotivated, and only shows up when he has a big matchup. He has TERRIBLE hands and will drop many passes. At one point he has also said he thinks he is a max contract player, so he is going to want a big paycheck when his contract is up. Now what can you guys tell me about Cassipi that fans from other teams don't know?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
This is where I totally disagree with you: It was a GREAT situation for Casspi. He got tons of playing time that on another veteran team he wouldn't have. He had major opportunity over two years to show what he could do. He absolutely failed. Does that mean he's consigned to the ash heap of NBA basketball? No, that's the great thing about being young - he can improve his game. But to say that he didn't have an opportunity is beyond the pail.
I don't disagree. I think it would have better for him to get drafted by a team like the Spurs or Dallas, where he wouldn't have gotten all those minutes and would have been brought along slower. It would have been hard for him to complain if he's on the bench behind a very good player, and who knows, maybe wouldn't have had the same mentality. People are funny. You give them something, and then take it away, and they suddenly think that their entitled to it.

Hey, the result may have been the same. No way to know now. I just never thought that either Greene or Casspi was good enough to be a starter on a good NBA team. And by that, I mean at their current levels. Doesn't mean that couldn't become good enough sometime in the futrue to become starters. I just think its not doing most players a service to throw them into the starting lineup from the get go. Obviously the special one's are capable, but guys like Casspi and Greene? No! Too many holes in their games.

One good thing: I think any player would jump at the opportunity to be traded to Sac if playing for Cle. There might be only a handful of cities Sac has an advantage over in appeal, but Cle is definitely at the top of that list. I'd think JJ is ecstatic to not be living in Cle anymore.