NEWS: Kings trade Casspi + first rounder for JJ Hickson

@Sam_Amick
Casspi was told by Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie that the trade will be finalized "in a couple of hours."

This was another trade that was supposed to happen on draft day.
JJ Hickson has to be the starting PF and JT is the 3rd big.

I love JJ Hickson!! can the mods change title to traded please?

@proballdraft Spoke w/ #Kings official who said teams haggled on 1st round pick. #Cavs wanted pick top 6 protected but settled on full lotto protection

PETRIE!!! 2012 draft is going to be sick!!

@Sam_Amick
Casspi was told by Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie that the trade will be finalized "in a couple of hours."

This was another trade that was supposed to happen on draft day.
JJ Hickson has to be the starting PF and JT is the 3rd big.
Wait, so is this the "big time front court player" they are targeting? Don't get me wrong, I like Hickson and I think this is a great deal for us, but I was under the assumption that they were going to be spending money on FA's. I know the impending lockout kind of puts a crimp on that so I understand the trade aspect of these deals, but it makes me wonder. This and the Salmons deal may not preclude FA signings, but it seems to me that this is the route they are taking.

I still think the will have plenty of caproom for another player. rumor is Shareef really pushed for JJ knows him.

@Probballdraft

Big factor behind @sacramentokings desire to trade for JJ Hickson is Shareef Abdur-Rahim. Now exec with #Kings has ties to JJ from Georgia.

Wait, so is this the "big time front court player" they are targeting? Don't get me wrong, I like Hickson and I think this is a great deal for us, but I was under the assumption that they were going to be spending money on FA's. I know the impending lockout kind of puts a crimp on that so I understand the trade aspect of these deals, but it makes me wonder. This and the Salmons deal may not preclude FA signings, but it seems to me that this is the route they are taking.
Oh come on. Once we upgraded to Salmons at the sf, we had to trade one of our sfs. Hickson doesn't have to come in and be the starter. Petrie is just making moves to stockpile talent in positions we need. We had a lot of assets in of various types, Petrie is beginning to convert them. After this trade there's STILL virtually all of our caproom still left.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
If true that is a very good trade, but...starting Cousins and Hickson? That would, hands down, be the worst defensive frontcourt in the NBA. By far. Now a significant reason why this franchise has been irrelvant for most of the past 50 years is its rather sick refusal to address the defensive side of the ball. But this one...this one is just too damn obvious for anybody who watched those guys play last year. Just has to be a plan to get at least one defensive payer involved in the mix there, or we make the Raptors look like a serious contender.

It's looking like this....
The market for Dally just went up because of Tyson Chandler's play. Some team is goin to overpay for him. Geoff/Maloof will not match.

But look at the bright side , now we have an incredibly young and talented rotation of Thompson, Hickson and DC who's average age is 23.

Oh come on. Once we upgraded to Salmons at the sf, we had to trade one of our sfs. Hickson doesn't have to come in and be the starter. Petrie is just making moves to stockpile talent in positions we need. We had a lot of assets in of various types, Petrie is beginning to convert them. After this trade there's STILL virtually all of our caproom still left.
I understand that. But you think they are going to go sign some impact FA's when they just made these trades and draft picks? Don't see them targeting a SF now that Salmons is on board, not going to target a PF now that Hickson is on board. My hope is that they are still planning on either signing Daley (doubtful) or target another defensive C and have Hickson as the backup PF and JT as the backup C. Not bashing the trade at all, I love it. I just am wondering if this is a way to bypass FA.

L

LWP777

I don't know much about his game but I looked at his stats and it appeared he was really coming into his own the past month or so of the season. Some intriguing stats the last 13 games:

PPG: 20.8
REB: 12.7

11 out of the 13 games he had a double-double. This guy looks like a very nice young player!

@mr_jasonjones

Trade is done. Omri Casspi headed to Cleveland for J.J. Hickson.

@mr_jasonjones

Kings keep next year's first-round draft pick unless they make the playoffs.

Last edited:
I don't know much about his game but I looked at his stats and it appeared he was really coming into his own the past month or so of the season. Some intriguing stats the last 13 games:

PPG: 20.8
REB: 12.7

11 out of the 13 games he had a double-double. This guy looks like a very nice young player!
He is. And he is very athletic.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
You have to upgrade talent across the board and get rid of surpluses. Can't sign anyone yet, so we are doing what we can via trades right now. They have said repeatedly that they will spend the $$$ once the new CBA is in place. Can we PLEASE quit panicing over every move and wait until that occurrs?

Hickson is a very promising young player. No offense to Omri, but the difference in potential is quite large IMO. Hopefully we sign Dally and get a very strong 4 big man rotation with Dally, DMC, Thompson, and Hickson.

L

LWP777

Back up minutes at C and PF.
Let's be honest. JT is a great guy and all, but he's not the ideal 3rd big on an NBA team. I think he's a decent 4th big though. Somebody that can come in for 10-15 minutes and provide some energy and hustle. He's shown too many times in the past 3 years that his basketball IQ is just not high enough to be playing big minutes at the NBA level.

L

LWP777

@mr_jasonjones

Trade is done. Omri Casspi headed to Cleveland for J.J. Hickson.

@mr_jasonjones

Kings keep next year's first-round draft pick unless they make the playoffs.
So what happens if the Kings don't make the playoffs? Do they get our 2013 pick? What if we don't make the playoffs that year also?

You have to upgrade talent across the board and get rid of surpluses. Can't sign anyone yet, so we are doing what we can via trades right now. They have said repeatedly that they will spend the $$$ once the new CBA is in place. Can we PLEASE quit panicing over every move and wait until that occurrs?
This. Hickson is a PF upgrade we NEEDED.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Hickson is a very promising young player. No offense to Omri, but the difference in potential is quite large IMO. Hopefully we sign Dally and get a very strong 4 big man rotation with Dally, DMC, Thompson, and Hickson.
Its more than just potential with Hickson. This is a lot like the Thornton aquisition. Young guy who had blown up for half a season, and we were able to pick him up on the chep for whatever reason.

Hickson Post All Star break:

31.9min 16.8pts (.481 .000 .723) 10.8reb 1.4ast 0.7stl 0.7blk 2.2TO