Board of Gov Meeting Updates

I’m the cynic and I think this might have legs.

The logical conclusion is this – if the Maloofs don’t want to sell, the NBA can’t force them. They move to Anaheim with the name Royals, and all of the history. Because it’s still very unclear whether Sacramento can get an arena done, Sacramento doesn’t get to keep the history of the team (Browns deserved it and the NBA used it as a bargaining chip to settle a lawsuit.)

Sacramento has a year (the lockout), to come up with an arena plan. If so, “next season” 2012-13, the “Hornets” go to Sacramento, who gets the name Kings and all of the history and the Maloof Anaheim franchise gets new name and colors and no history.

If the city rallies, and they might with the team and the Maloofs gone, the city somehow committed to funding this by June, which is probably when the NBA will return for a final vote on this. Just pull the trigger now. At which point, you can’t force the Maloofs to give up Cousins and Evans (but they take their players and front office to Anaheim) the Hornets become the “Kings.” Odd. But it’s happened before, Celts/Braves. Times are different, but it’s the way this works out if the Maloofs won’t sell and the owners have a “Good Son” choice between Sacramento and New Orleans.

It would be weird to “turn” on players like Evans, but the short term change would be offset by having owners that could do things like spend money.
This is an intersting day... I pretty much agree with you! :)

If Burkle doesn't mind buying a team in a small market, Stern would probably rather have him buy the Hornets. The Kings, according to the Maloofs, are not for sale. Burkle can't buy if they won't sell. But the NBA will have to sell the Hornets in the near future. They can't just hold onto the team forever. Does Burkle want the Kings exclusively for some unknown reason? or does he just want an NBA team? I would assume the latter. That also blocks the headache of potentially someone like Larry Ellison bidding the highest on the Hornets in the future with the condition that he will move the team to San Jose.
Are you actually reading what's being said? Kings first option, Hornets second option and moving to Sac. Burkle is part of a group for a team in Sacramento not New Orleans. So why move 2 teams instead of just one?

I pretty sure the reason the Maloofs are against selling or trading teams is because they have funneled money from the Kings to the Palms and they dont want the other owners to know about it.

This is amazing! So many thoughts and emotions right now. I just hope that our city council doesn't screw this up!!
For the same dollars, in this city: (1) watch this, we the little guys are going to show those rich guys a lesson and we'll build an arena without them. (Never mind that Burkle would kill himself if he woke up with the Maloofs' money); or (2) look, this isn't about the Maloofs lets build an arena. It's easier to pass option one in this city. Logical, no. Politics in this town, yes.

Since having stable owners with deep pockets is a must, not a bad trade for Sacramento if it happens.

this is a great day...even if we get hornets, rename them the kings, Keep Grant and Jerry, Keep Geoff Petrie, sign Tyreke as a Free Agent when his contract is up, bring back cisco for minimum salary, CP3 runnin the show, us crapping all over the maloofs in hte playoffs, BOOM BABY
That would be awesome... but I'm pretty sure Tyrekes current contract makes that impossible....lol. Its a nice dream though.... have the Maloofs move the team to Anaheim and we keep the name and all the history... then all of the Royals players sign with us in a few years and we are right back where we were but with a new arena and a playoff ready team. Now that would be a story book ending.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
But the Burkle plan was met with skepticism in the owners's executive committee meeting. "Too little, too late," one team rep said.
This is silly. It must have been said by some one voting to help the Maloofs. There is no GOT TO in this proposed move. The reality of now is that the Kings are here. If the money is here or might be here and not wishful thinking, why not wait? And, good grief, how much is enough?

I’m the cynic and I think this might have legs.

The logical conclusion is this – if the Maloofs don’t want to sell, the NBA can’t force them. They move to Anaheim with the name Royals, and all of the history. Because it’s still very unclear whether Sacramento can get an arena done, Sacramento doesn’t get to keep the history of the team (Browns deserved it and the NBA used it as a bargaining chip to settle a lawsuit.)

Sacramento has a year (the lockout), to come up with an arena plan. If so, “next season” 2012-13, the “Hornets” go to Sacramento, who gets the name Kings and all of the history and the Maloof Anaheim franchise gets new name and colors and no history.

If the city rallies, and they might with the team and the Maloofs gone, the city somehow committed to funding this by June, which is probably when the NBA will return for a final vote on this. Just pull the trigger now. At which point, you can’t force the Maloofs to give up Cousins and Evans (but they take their players and front office to Anaheim) the Hornets become the “Kings.” Odd. But it’s happened before, Celts/Braves. Times are different, but it’s the way this works out if the Maloofs won’t sell and the owners have a “Good Son” choice between Sacramento and New Orleans.

It would be weird to “turn” on players like Evans, but the short term change would be offset by having owners that could do things like spend money.
But your missing the biggest part of the whole thing. If revenue sharing happens the Maloofs would be paying to help support the team in Sac.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
This definitely adds a twist to things. It's one thing if the maloofs go the NBA and say financially it makes sense for them to go to Anaheim, and they have their hands tied because of the arena situation. It's another situation entirely when you have a potential buyer, with the means to buy the team outright, wants to keep the team and Sac, and obviously thinks it's financially possibl to do so , otherwise Burkle wouldn't be getting involved.

What is better for the league? Burkle, worth 3.5B buying the team, and committed to keeping them here, or financially strapped Maloofs hoping things will work in a possibly over saturated market? I thought Amicks comment was interesting, that if the Maloofs can't prove they are financial stable, with Burkle waiting in the shadows to buy the team, the BOG's might put pressure on the maloofs to sell.
Errrrm, makes sense to me. What are we missing? What if the BOG advises the Maloofs to sell?

This is great news. I'm trying to decide if the Maloofs won't sell, would I rather have the Kings stay here with the Maloofs as owners, or have Burkle here with the Hornets. A choice between the players or the owners. I love watching Reke, Thornton and DMC, but an owner with deep pockets is a dream. Especially if he's actually going to work to build a new arena.

This is silly. It must have been said by some one voting to help the Maloofs. There is no GOT TO in this proposed move. The reality of now is that the Kings are here. If the money is here or might be here and not wishful thinking, why not wait? And, good grief, how much is enough?
It is pretty silly for that person to say that. It's not too little or too late. It's 11th hour for sure, but that has been the name of the game from the SF Giants to Tampa on down to many new NBA arena deals all over the country.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Yeah, but what doesn't make any sense is to let the Kings move from Sacramento to Anaheim, THEN have Burkle buy the Hornets and move them to Sacramento. It makes much more sense to just straight up move the Hornets to Anaheim, if the league is actually down with the three-teams-in-one-market thing. It only disenfranchises one market instead of two.

So one possible recommendation from the committee could be: "We're not going to allow the Kings to move from Sacramento. Either Burkle buys the Hornets and moves them to Anaheim, or Burkle buys the Kings from you, you buy the Hornets, and move them to Anaheim." Not saying that's going to happen, just saying there's a chance. It will all depend on what kind of mojo Sacramento can get up in the meeting, but the whole $7M in business sponsors pledged for next year sure can't hurt our cause.

Who knows. Maybe this is Chicago and we're down 30.
Makes absolute sense but then I am biased. :) Actually, it just plain makes sense.

This is great news. I'm trying to decide if the Maloofs won't sell, would I rather have the Kings stay here with the Maloofs as owners, or have Burkle here with the Hornets. A choice between the players or the owners. I love watching Reke, Thornton and DMC, but an owner with deep pockets is a dream. Especially if he's actually going to work to build a new arena.
I think the scenario is either the Maloofs leave for Anaheim or they don't and sell the team. I don't know if I could own a franchise where literally everyone, including the nearly jobless janitor, hates my guts.

Are you actually reading what's being said? Kings first option, Hornets second option and moving to Sac. Burkle is part of a group for a team in Sacramento not New Orleans. So why move 2 teams instead of just one?

I pretty sure the reason the Maloofs are against selling or trading teams is because they have funneled money from the Kings to the Palms and they dont want the other owners to know about it.
You have your opinions, I have mine. Check what I wrote, I did not quote anyone. I never said the Hornets will move. The idea I presented is that if Burkle wants a team, the NBA can offer to sell him the Hornets because he apparently doesn't mind owning a team in a small market. He can keep the Hornet there in NO and Stern has less headache. Is Burkle exclusively in love with the Kings? or does he just want an NBA team? Even if he does really love the Kings, the Maloofs are not selling. You can't buy something thats not being sold.

I think the scenario is either the Maloofs leave for Anaheim or they don't and sell the team. I don't know if I could own a franchise where literally everyone, including the nearly jobless janitor, hates my guts.
It's nice that the city of Sac has options and not just the Maloofs. Either way, I wouldn't shed a tear if the Maloofs couldn't come back because of the PR issue they created here and had to sell.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
It is pretty silly for that person to say that. It's not too little or too late. It's 11th hour for sure, but that has been the name of the game from the SF Giants to Tampa on down to many new NBA arena deals all over the country.
I can't express exactly what I mean very well. To say this assumes the deal has been made for them to leave and this is a last second idea to changes the NBA's mind. Maybe that's not a big deal and maybe nobody said it. :) ****, I'm getting excited and I had already done my grieving and had settled on watching the team somewhere else. Maybe I care a little more than I thought.

What's another year? If the Maloofs go broke with a team on the rise and expected higher income in Sacto next year then they shouldn't own. I have always thought that for a team to win here the owner has to be willing to take a loss. That doesn't mean losing money is inevitable it just can't be an owners live-or-die business.

I don't either. But if we have to go that route and let the Maloofs take the team to Anaheim and become the Royals, then it's ok with me if we have to wait a year or so. It would force the city to build a new arena. No more messing around - produce or walk away now. The players and staff can always change, but the banners and jerseys will hang in Sacramento. Can you imagine the bitter rivarly when the Kings play the Royals for the first time?
It's like Colts/Ravens. It will never end, doesn't matter if ownership changes, players change, if you win a championship, etc. That bitterness never goes away.

Honestly, if it were a guarantee we'd get the Hornets, i might go with Burkle at this point, but I'd hate the idea of stealing the Hornets. That'd make us as bad as Anaheim. But I guess that's how these things work. As much as I like DMC and Tyreke the idea of an owner with very deep pockets who bought the team specifically for Sacramento is pretty awesome. Plus if we were getting CP3, that wouldn't be a bad deal either.

Having said that, I could very well change my mind about that 10 minutes from now, lol. That’s the kind of emotional roller coaster I’m on here with all this going on.

I dont know if its just me, but that Press release by the Burkle Group was the most legit, promising, encouraging thing I have read in months, and it comes at the very last minute. unbelievable

I can't express exactly what I mean very well. To say this assumes the deal has been made for them to leave and this is a last second idea to changes the NBA's mind. Maybe that's not a big deal and maybe nobody said it. :) ****, I'm getting excited and I had already done my grieving and had settled on watching the team somewhere else. Maybe I care a little more than I thought.

What's another year? If the Maloofs go broke with a team on the rise and expected higher income in Sacto next year then they shouldn't own. I have always thought that for a team to win here the owner has to be willing to take a loss. That doesn't mean losing money is inevitable it just can't be an owners live-or-die business.
It's like sitting beside of a family member in a coma and watching the doctors argue whether it's time to pull the plug or perform the miracle operation. I'm always about giving a miracle a chance!

It's a shame they seem unwilling to seel to Burkle. I think that would be the absolute best-case scenario at this point. This gives hope, but I'm reluctant to get overexcited. I think the Maloofs will definitely file for relocation if they get enough support from BOGs. I actually think the Kings would get a majority vote in favour of staying if all the BOG's looked at all the facts objectively. Unfortunately, I don't think it is a big enough deal to some of them to research thoroughly, and some may want to have the possibility of getting a "yes" vote from the Maloofs in future.

Still, there is reason for some optimism. The Hornets being bought and relocated here is far from being a certainty if the Kings move. From a personal standpoint, I don't know what I'd do if the Hornets moved to Sacramento. I feel like I'm tied to this city now. May have to keep my allegiance with Sacramento.

I can see this playing out as;

1. Anaheim gets the Royals
2. Sacramento keeps the name and history
3. A stipulation in Sacramento getting a new team is that we build an arena in the next 3-5 years
4. We have Burkle, Webber or whoever buy either the Hornets or an expansion team
5. Sacramento promised that an NBA team (expansion or other) is back in Sacramento by 2016 and we keep the name ect ect when they come back.

Seems like a logical conclusion to the meetings. I would be OK with it, but pretty pissed off for the next 5 years.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I can't keep up the with the notes.

Every damn thing that the fans in this area, Mike, Carmichael Dave, you, me and everybody has done has created an atmosphere that simply needed money. People will invest only in an area that is nuts for its team. Distorted view but I think my point is made.

If this is a victory, we all are part of it.