Nocioni & Hawes Traded for Dalembert

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I did find Chad Ford's ESPN writeup a little eyebrowraising:
On the flip it may serve as a good bluff, even if its just to keep the Wolves from picking Cousins and then saying "you really wanted him and we really wanted Johnson so pay us our ransom and he's yours".

PHI made this move strictly to free up the rotation for Speights. Hawes will back him up. Smart move by PHI, Speights will be a beast. They will still take Turner and they will probably make the playoffs next year.
I thought the reason they weren't starting Speights already is because he is foul prone and not as advanced defensively. Unless those things have changed they might have problems. At the Philly forum they're not real happy when looking forward to the defensive effort they're likely to see from their frontcourt.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
why would sixers necessarily have to pick a big?

If anything with Speights and Spencer both there and young, they might be less inclined to take a big. And of course the Brand anchor contract.

I am a bit confused though given that they have Collins as their new coach, and he's generally pretty smashmouth. This move seems topsy turvy for them -- soemthing they should have tried last year to give Eddie Jordan his Princeton center, and something they should not have done now with a coach who's hard on young players and screams at his team to play defense.

I thought the reason they weren't starting Speights already is because he is foul prone and not as advanced defensively. Unless those things have changed they might have problems. At the Philly forum they're not real happy when looking forward to the defensive effort they're likely to see from their frontcourt.
that's exactly what I saw on their forums as well

I love this trade! Spencer was just WAY too inconsistant..sometimes he hustles & sometimes he doesn't.

Dalembert can be a mentor to our new big man ( Cousins or Monroe )..and he can play his butt off for a new contact.

In Petrie we trust! :D

Well there's our shotblocker/rebounder, at least for a year (somehow we always seem to get those guys just at the end of their contracts). Hallelujah, although I see no reason to stop with only one.

I actually do agree that there is some risk in trading Hawes -- a young center with so many obvious skills. But he's soft, and its been mentioend you don't really teach toughness. He can be skilled as he wants, but if he was never going to toughen up he was never going to be the guy we needed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5297829

Hayward continues to worry, and why on Earth we would be trying to draft a THIRD young SF I have no idea. Whatever people may think about a veteran SF, clearly we don't need another young one.
Yeah, there's no way in h-e-double hockey sticks we take Farouq or Hayward, unless GP somehow throws us another curveball and trades a couple of the 3's we already have(to free up PT for Casspi/Greene, hopefully). I still say we get Cousins...unless GP is that set on Monroe and what he can bring immediately and longterm to the team..

edit: and as far as those who say Spencer might still be a decent/very good center in the future...it just wasnt the right situation for that to happen HERE, regardless.

Someone log this.

I'm putting a $20 bet up on this. Hawes has had 4 or 5 Knee surgeries. He's not going to be a very good player.

1. His attitude

2. He will FOREVER, and ALWAYS be soft. The guy doesn't play defense.

You sir are wrong.
I think we should sticky an "official predictions" thread full of these kind of predictions, so that we can hold everyone accountable for all the things they predict.

Not that I don't agree with you, by the way, but it would be loads of fun to give people grief for their crazy predictions, even if it's years later.

I love this trade! Spencer was just WAY too inconsistant..sometimes he hustles & sometimes he doesn't.

Dalembert can be a mentor to our new big man ( Cousins or Monroe )..and he can play his butt off for a new contact.

Dalembert isnt a mentoring type, and I dont want him to be playing that role either. Dalembert is an Olden Polynice type of center at the most, minus the attitude and crazyness.

Bricklayer

As a brief sidenote, I hope this does not mean anything for resigning Brockman. He and Spencer were teammates in college, and I think friends. I think Speincer even had something to do with us drafting him. But if anything this is another move for defense and toughness and it doesn't look like Geoff has lost that focus yet (and damn, where the hell was that focus for all the down years? Jeesh.). So Brock still fits that ideally.

Well there's our shotblocker/rebounder, at least for a year (somehow we always seem to get those guys just at the end of their contracts). Hallelujah, although I see no reason to stop with only one.

I actually do agree that there is some risk in trading Hawes -- a young center with so many obvious skills. But he's soft, and its been mentioend you don't really teach toughness. He can be skilled as he wants, but if he was never going to toughen up he was never going to be the guy we needed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5297829

Hayward continues to worry, and why on Earth we would be trying to draft a THIRD young SF I have no idea. Whatever people may think about a veteran SF, clearly we don't need another young one.
Chad Ford is an idiot = mystery solved. It doesn't go any deeper than that.

Bricklayer

Dalembert isnt a mentoring type, and I dont want him to be playing that role either. Dalembert is an Olden Polynice type of center at the most, minus the attitude and crazyness.
Yeah, mature braniac center he is not. Still figuring it out himself at age 29, let alone playing wise old head for anybody else. Real good at what he does though, and have never understood Philly's inability to accept his game.

Last season:

25.9min 8.1pts (.545 FG%) 9.6reb 1.8blk

Last edited:

Like I said before, Dalembert is not mentor material. He gets rebounds and blocks from being long and athletic, not from being intelligent. The guy is a complete dolt.

Yesah, mature braniac center he is not. Still figuring it out himself at age 29, let alone playing wise old head for anybody else. Real good at what he does though, and have never understood Philly's inability to accept his game.

Last season:

He's a poor offensive player, and a detriment at times, and he's a very undisciplined defender. He gets a lot of blocks, but he's very undisciplined, leading to swatting balls out of bounds, getting goaltends, and sacrificing defensive position. There's more to shot blocking than just stats.

Yeah, mature braniac center he is not. Still figuring it out himself at age 29, let alone playing wise old head for anybody else. Real good at what he does though, and have never understood Philly's inability to accept his game.

Last season:

I can see him being a great back up to Cousins when he resigns with us at mid level. We'll be set at our center position for championship runs.

Tyreke, Cisco, Greene, Cousins and Dalembert...I think gets you back to the playoffs.

Beno, Jordan Crawford, Casspi, Brockness, Landry and Jt would be a great bench.

I'm Happy.

Last edited:
Spence seemed to be best as a matchup player that could come off the bench and be effective in certain situations. that said, he doesn't quite cut-it at our current stage of playoff-seeking development.

hope there's still a place for Brock.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
The Kings will need two centers. The west is loaded with BIG guys in the middle and most of them have run rampant over the Kings in the past 6-7 years:
Prizbilla
Bynum
Amare
Kaman
Oberto
Ming

and they represent 22-24 games a year!! We need Cousins period. Even if Dalembert resigns who knows if he stays on top of his game for 3-4 more years. If Cousins is as good as he could be then what a powerhouse in the middle for a bit, Vlade and Brad only younger, quicker, and BIG time better D.

I love it. Dalembert could probably be resigned for what Nocioni was getting. We just addressed a MAJOR need with this deal, atleast for a year. If we do end up selecting Cousins im going to be in heaven. Having Cousins/Dalembert means we'd have a shotblocker on the floor at all times.

and on top of all that was said ... maybe this also will make teams think twice before jumping us for cousins .
I got a more for sure way of doing this...work out Wes Johnson, and leak rumors that we're very interested in him. That will stop any teams from trying to leap frog us.

Obviously that's the key. If we wanted Sammy so bad, we could have just swapped. We wanted to ditch that contract and Hawes is what it cost.

Now we've got a lot of capspace, and a huge expiring that could be valuable around the trade deadline.

If I was a sixers fan, my point of contention would be taking on Nocioni's contract.

If we somehow...miraculously get Cousins, we will have our twin towers along with the energy in Thompson and Landry off the bench.

....beasty
I seriously doubt Cousins and Dalembert will see a lot of time together. Both are listed as full time centers, and both have played the center position. Why you put 2 centers starting and leave 2 power forwards on the bench is beyond me.

Ideally, your starting C is cousins playing goalie, while JT has room to operate on his jumper at the baseline. You stick Cousins and Dalembert in the paint, hwere the hell is Tyreke going to go?

Cousins/JT, and Dalembert/Landry.

Last edited:
anyone else see this as an excuse for petree to snatch up monroe? now he has his defensive guy, maybe he's thinking monro would fit well next to him. i have to admit, the passsing ability and basically guard skills of monroe paired next to the defense and athleticism of Dalembert could be very interesting indeed

I think we should sticky an "official predictions" thread full of these kind of predictions, so that we can hold everyone accountable for all the things they predict.

Not that I don't agree with you, by the way, but it would be loads of fun to give people grief for their crazy predictions, even if it's years later.
I'm game. I'll pay up if somehow Spencer becomes labeled as a defensive ,rebounding prescence...........bahahahahahahahaha

I can't even say that with that a straight face. Haws...defense and reboudning in the same sentence....HI-LARIOUS....

I would pay up though.

anyone else see this as an excuse for petree to snatch up monroe? now he has his defensive guy, maybe he's thinking monro would fit well next to him. i have to admit, the passsing ability and basically guard skills of monroe paired next to the defense and athleticism of Dalembert could be very interesting indeed
Who knows what Petrie is planning to do, but IMO it's not a legitimate excuse to take Monroe. Fact is, Dalembert is not going to be our starting 5 of the future, and despite shot blocking numbers, he's not a defensive wiz.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
PHI made this move strictly to free up the rotation for Speights. Hawes will back him up. Smart move by PHI, Speights will be a beast. They will still take Turner and they will probably make the playoffs next year.
According to the philly newspapers they're looking at Hawes as their possible center of the future. They look at Speights as a PF.. Always amazing to me how one team will see a player different than the team he's on. Good luck to them and Hawes..