Nocioni & Hawes Traded for Dalembert

Best scenario is to draft Cousins and then resign Samuel at mid level for 4 yrs after his contract expires to come off the bench. Our center position would be set for a championship team.

Let me see! Hmmm! We had one legitimate center on our roster, so we needed another center. We traded the one center to Philly for........another center. So we now have one legitimate center on our roster. That must mean that we still need another center..

The bigger question would be how this trade affects Philly. Does this trade mean that they definitely take Turner because they feel they've covered thier center problem for the future?
I'd think so...I've always thought Philly was going to draft Turner anyways, it just makes sense for them, he's so good that you HAVE to take him at #2 regardless of needs or who else is available.

This also pretty much guarantees the Sixers will pick a big. Either Favors or Cousins. If they pick Cousins at #2, Favors will not fall to us and Wolves will take Turner over WJ.

So at that point we'll be picking between WJ and Monroe.

Maybe not on our part, but this may mean that Favors or Cousins is now going #2 instead of Turner since the 76ers need help up front. Which could affect who we pick
Even before this trade the sixers needed long term help at the center position because they were tiring of Dalembert. So, I don't see what really changes. I don't think they were really basing their pick on next season alone, so I think they genuinely like Turner the most, unless it's all been smoke so far.

I seriously hope our FO isn't dumb enough to refrain from drafting Cousins because of Sam Dalembert. I think this is in part because of our need for a big, but mainly because he's an expiring contract.

I think this trade is a good idea. We dumped two years of Noc's contract and it only costed us Hawes, rather than our 5th pick.
This is a trade deadline waiting to happen. Just think about it, we can get some major talent for a guy like this at the deadline, and of course we will have Cousins.:D

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
3 or 4 years from now Kings Fans are going to look back on this trade as a terrible one after Spencer Hawes turns into a solid if not very good big man.

You don't trade 21 year old centers with the kind of skill and potential that Spencer has........yet somehow Petrie is doing it.

Bad Trade
Completely disagree. I have been one of Spencers biggest supporters on this forum, and I love this move. The positives here greatly outweigh the negatives. The only negative is that Spencer might develop into a good nba center, which I think is a definite possibilty. But it is still only a possibilty. But you don't pass up a deal like this because of what might happen with Spencer down the road. This move improves our team both in the shortrun, and longrun. You think we should put the future of this team on hold so we can wait for Spencer to get up to speed?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I wouldn't link this trade to any plans the Kings might have for the draft. The FO stated that they wanted to get better defensively, and this a good step in that direction. But with Dalembert only having one year left on his contract, and no guarantee he'll be resigned after this season, the trade certainly wouldn't preclude the Kings from drafting another center. Considering that at the moment, Dalembert is the only true center they have on the team.

Also, I don't think the trade means anything in regards to whom they might draft at the center position. Monroe is an offensive player. Cousins is a better offensive player that is also a better defensive player, in my opinion. But if you wanted to read something into it, I would say its sends a message to Cousins agent that he's the man of the future with the Kings. No guarantee he'll be there though.. I think the Kings just got a little bit better. Good start..

Because I don't think Hawes is the anchor to the frontline for any team that wants to win a championship. Not unless you at least have a dominant PF which Favors can be.
Just because we think that doesn't necessarily mean the Sixers think that. Maybe they really do think that by getting younger at the C position, they hope that Hawes can become that type of center.

Because I don't think Hawes is the anchor to the frontline for any team that wants to win a championship. Not unless you at least have a dominant PF which Favors can be.
You can argue that if they like Hawes, he fits better as a long term center than Dalembert did. Dalembert was not their long term solution at the 5, so nothing really changes as far as a long term need at center.

3 or 4 years from now Kings Fans are going to look back on this trade as a terrible one after Spencer Hawes turns into a solid if not very good big man.

You don't trade 21 year old centers with the kind of skill and potential that Spencer has........yet somehow Petrie is doing it.

Bad Trade
I've said before, I think Hawes is decent and can play. But I just don't want our long term center to be one with a long history of knee injuries. If we made the playoffs this year, Hawes wouldn't have been available.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Wow. Leave it to Petrie to pull something like this off now. (really, most of us had this type of deal on our wishlist near the trade deadline)
Goodbye Spence, best of luck in Philly
and good riddance Nocioni, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Love it. I think Sixers will take Favors now which means Turner goes to Nets. WJ to Wolves and we still get Cousins. If Cousins develops by Trade Deadline then I think Samuel D. is exactly what a contender could be looking for and we can turn him into more pieces or we keep him as a bench big for the future.

Bad Trade
Someone log this.

I'm putting a $20 bet up on this. Hawes has had 4 or 5 Knee surgeries. He's not going to be a very good player.

1. His attitude

2. He will FOREVER, and ALWAYS be soft. The guy doesn't play defense.

You sir are wrong.

Love it. I think Sixers will take Favors now which means Turner goes to Nets. WJ to Wolves and we still get Cousins. If Cousins develops by Trade Deadline then I think Samuel D. is exactly what a contender could be looking for and we can turn him into more pieces or we keep him as a bench big for the future.
There's no more reason for them to take Favors than there was before the trade.

I think one of the things I love most about this trade is that this is a clear sign...

If you do not play defense, you will not be on Paul Westphal's team.

If you do not have a good attitude, and an open mind, you will not be on Paul Westphal's team.

LOVE IT!

Like I said earlier, I still think Philly takes Turner, and always WERE going to take Turner, regardless of whatever needs they have...he's just TOO good to NOT take...he can turn that team around in the same way Brandon Roy did a few years ago in Portland. I think IMO(depending on what Wall does)that he will win ROY this year...so no, I dont think Philly takes a big at #2.

K

Kingsguy881

PHI made this move strictly to free up the rotation for Speights. Hawes will back him up. Smart move by PHI, Speights will be a beast. They will still take Turner and they will probably make the playoffs next year.

You can argue that if they like Hawes, he fits better as a long term center than Dalembert did. Dalembert was not their long term solution at the 5, so nothing really changes as far as a long term need at center.

We'll see. No one is sure what any of these GMs are thinking. Ford said Collins like Favors.

Frankly, my concern is about the Sixers drafting Cousins. If the Sixers draft Favors instead of Turner, it makes no difference to us because neither are going to fall to us. The only way sixers messes things up for us is if they draft Cousins @ #2 or trade down with Wolves to take Cousins at # 4 & draft Turner @ #2 for wolves.

The chance of Sixers wanting Cousins is less than that of them wanting Favors. But they do have a workout of these 2 coming up. So you do have to think about that. Is it really to evaluate how Favors does against another top prospect big man? or is it to also see DC..

But if you wanted to read something into it, I would say its sends a message to Cousins agent that he's the man of the future with the Kings. No guarantee he'll be there though.. I think the Kings just got a little bit better. Good start..
thats what came across for me as well. his agent will be pushing for him to come to sacramento since his client will be able to get playing time.

minney has darko coming back, bringing pekovic in, al j, love.

We'll see. No one is sure what any of these GMs are thinking. Ford said Collins like Favors.

Frankly, my concern is about the Sixers drafting Cousins. If the Sixers draft Favors instead of Turner, it makes no difference to us because neither are going to fall to us. The only way sixers messes things up for us is if they draft Cousins @ #2 or trade down with Wolves to take Cousins at # 4 & draft Turner @ #2 for wolves.

The chance of Sixers wanting Cousins is less than that of them wanting Favors. But they do have a workout of these 2 coming up. So you do have to think about that. Is it really to evaluate how Favors does against another top prospect big man? or is it to also see DC..
I don't know what Philly's GM is thinking in the draft, but I don't think this trade makes any difference on who they're targeting. They had a long term hole before the trade, and they have one now. There's even a better chance they think Hawes is a long term solution at the 5 than they thought Dalembert was.

K

Kingsguy881

I don't know what Philly's GM is thinking in the draft, but I don't think this trade makes any difference on who they're targeting. They had a long term hole before the trade, and they have one now. There's even a better chance they think Hawes is a long term solution at the 5 than they thought Dalembert was.
READ WHAT I POSTED!!! This is strictly a move to free up a starting spot for Speights. If anything, PHI might take Favors and slide Brand to a bench spot but that is highly unlikely being they are paying him so much to produce. Maurice Speights is a BEAST, when dude was starting he was putting up something like 16 and 10. They shed D's contract to give Speights a shot at the starting center role, with Spence backing him up. They have a young Jrue Holliday as their pg of the future, Evan Turner makes BEAUCOUP sense for them as another backcourt ball handler with size. BUT, this move is strictly about Speights, nothing else, nothing more.

Philly fans seem to have mixed feelings, many looking forward to their future with Hawes. I love the trade of course especially if we can re-sign him for mid level.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Well there's our shotblocker/rebounder, at least for a year (somehow we always seem to get those guys just at the end of their contracts). Hallelujah, although I see no reason to stop with only one.

I actually do agree that there is some risk in trading Hawes -- a young center with so many obvious skills. But he's soft, and its been mentioend you don't really teach toughness. He can be skilled as he wants, but if he was never going to toughen up he was never going to be the guy we needed.

I did find Chad Ford's ESPN writeup a little eyebrowraising:

For the Kings, this could also change their draft equation. The team has been looking at drafting DeMarcus Cousins and Greg Monroe, both centers. With this deal, it could allow them to address another need at the three. the Kings have been high on both Al-Farouq Aminu and Gordon Hayward.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5297829

Hayward continues to worry, and why on Earth we would be trying to draft a THIRD young SF I have no idea. Whatever people may think about a veteran SF, clearly we don't need another young one.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member

Bad Trade
We'd have to start paying him real center money after this year, frankly I'm not willing to commit to that based on what he has shown in 3 seasons. He may very well have a break out year this year and even then you have to wonder if he was solely motivated by improving his contract standing and if he'll go back to the disinterested player with no solid offseason routine that takes half a season to get into game shape guy that he has been with us.

I'm not thrilled with this deal because I had hoped we could use Hawes to help us get a long term piece but basically he has allowed us to get rid of a cancer at minimal cost.