Draft Combine Measurements !!!!

Wow, how awful for Dexter Pittman and his family. My heart goes out to them.

(Only 16 years old....incredibly sad.)

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah it doesn't look good. Spencer is 6'10.5" w/o shoes. Thats 1.5" taller. I don't think we have any use for Aldrich.
I never had any use for Aldrich. I think he's been completely overrated all season. But that said, his combine numbers are the nail in the coffin as far as me and at all wanting him in a Kings uniform.

I'm not sure I have any use for Hassan Whiteside either, but his combine numbers are at least in line with what was expected.

Nearly 6'11" without shoes, nearly 7' in them with a 7'7" wingspan and 9'5" reach at 227 lbs. And I knew it would be low but a slightly surprising body fat of 5.5% (and his frame) suggest it would certainly be possible to add weight going forward.

Greg Monroe tested out well. Slightly taller but with a shorter reach and wingspan than Cousins, his weight is still a bit low (for a potential center) at 246 lbs but he certainly good enough for the PF spot. I'd only be interested if he could actually man the five spot and I'm not sure he can add too much more weight with his frame.

I never had any use for Aldrich. I think he's been completely overrated all season. But that said, his combine numbers are the nail in the coffin as far as me and at all wanting him in a Kings uniform.

I'm not sure I have any use for Hassan Whiteside either, but his combine numbers are at least in line with what was expected.

Nearly 6'11" without shoes, nearly 7' in them with a 7'7" wingspan and 9'5" reach at 227 lbs. And I knew it would be low but a slightly surprising body fat of 5.5% (and his frame) suggest it would certainly be possible to add weight going forward.

Greg Monroe tested out well. Slightly taller but with a shorter reach and wingspan than Cousins, his weight is still a bit low (for a potential center) at 246 lbs but he certainly good enough for the PF spot. I'd only be interested if he could actually man the five spot and I'm not sure he can add too much more weight with his frame.

I actually like Hassan Whiteside a lot. By his height makes him a legit 7 footer (by NBA standards) and the wingspan is insane. He needs to gain a lot of weight but his athleticism is like Dwight Howard.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Aldrich at 6'9" w/out shoes, and 236lbs is rediculous. I do not want another center that happens to weigh less than Spencer, not to mention the 6'9" part.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Cousins is like 10 pounds lighter than Pittman..that scares me. And people say he LOST weight? He's nearly 300 pounds!
290lbs at 16% bodyfat means he's in good shape. 290lbs at 10%-12% would be a borderline freak of nature. Weight on a scale means nothing. Body composition is much more important.

6'11.5 227 lb 7'7" wingspan (crazy!) and 9'5" standing reach. He's skinny obviously, but that weight was better than I thought it might be. The rest is excellent.

Yeah, I'm liking Hassan more after the measurements.

Comparing him to Dwight Howard:

Hassan Whiteside

-6'10.5" w/o shoes
-227 lbs
-9'5" standing reach
-7'7" wingspan

Dwight Howard

-6'9" w/o shoes
-240 lbs
-9'3.5" standing reach
-7'4.5" wingspan

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I actually like Hassan Whiteside a lot. By his height makes him a legit 7 footer (by NBA standards) and the wingspan is insane. He needs to gain a lot of weight but his athleticism is like Dwight Howard.
I'd wager he's MORE athletic than Dwight Howard in terms of run/jump ability.

And during the pre-draft combine Howard measured 6'9 w/o shoes and 240 lbs. That's only 13lbs more than Whiteside, but he was also an inch and half shorter and nearly 3 years younger than Whiteside is now.

And more importantly, you could see that Howard had a frame with massive potential to add weight and get stronger. I don't think Whiteside will ever top 245-250.

I'm intrigued, but far from sold on the guy. Big men who come into the league skinny and lacking strength rarely develop into post players of any consequence. I think best case for him is Marcus Camby and I'm not sure he has the basketball IQ to ever get that far.

I didn't expect anything less from Whiteside. The off-court red flags are still there. With a guy that raw and that old for his class, he better have great character make-up.

I think we may very well have a use for Whiteside if he interviews well and works out well against other players. Couldn't be more spot on to the skillset we need right now, and if you feel comfortable he's got a good attitude and can improve then he could be the guy.

Additionally, I think Monroe actually has an very good frame to add weight. He's got big broad shoulders but he's a young sophomore who hasn't filled out yet.

Aldrich's measuarables are fine by me... he plays a lot like Okafor who is 6' 8.75" w/out shoes with a 9' 2.5" reach. Those 14.7 rebs and 5.2 blocks per 40 are the numbers I'm looking at with Cole.

Aldrich's measuarables are fine by me... he plays a lot like Okafor who is 6' 8.75" w/out shoes with a 9' 2.5" reach. Those 14.7 rebs and 5.2 blocks per 40 are the numbers I'm looking at with Cole.
Okafor was/is much more athletic and strong than Aldrich, the comparison is not valid.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think we may very well have a use for Whiteside if he interviews well and works out well against other players. Couldn't be more spot on to the skillset we need right now, and if you feel comfortable he's got a good attitude and can improve then he could be the guy.

Additionally, I think Monroe actually has an very good frame to add weight. He's got big broad shoulders but he's a young sophomore who hasn't filled out yet.
I just don't agree that a weakside shotblocker is what the Kings need. I know many people have been wanting a Camby/Chandler/Thabeet type player and Whiteside could be that but to me the biggest thing the Kings lack is a big man who can hold position and stop other team's bigs from scoring in the post. I love shotblocking and the idea of someone to challenge/block/alter shots but Whiteside was pushed around and targeted on the NCAA level. He'd be a complete liability as a man-on-man defender and his weakside help wouldn't make up for that. Not to mention he can't score in the post and generally looks a step slow or out of place on offense.

Again, I'm intrigued but far from sold.

Actually Monroe tested out really well. He's 6'11 with shoes, about 247 and has a pretty good standing reach.

And about Aldrich - I don't really care about height, I are more about reach and wingspan. Nobody rebounds and block shots with their head.

Actually Monroe tested out really well. He's 6'11 with shoes, about 247 and has a pretty good standing reach.

And about Aldrich - I don't really care about height, I are more about reach and wingspan. Nobody rebounds and block shots with their head.
His reach is also affected by his shoe thickness I believe. So his reach is really about 9'2.5 if you give him the standard 1.25 inch shoe thickness. Not a great measurement for a C that needs to be a high quality post defender to justify a 5th pick. It's really that coupled with his low weight that is worrisome.

Last edited:
Okafor was/is much more athletic and strong than Aldrich, the comparison is not valid.
That's what everyone said last year when I was comparing Reke to Wade upside-wise... production wise Aldrich played a lot like Okafor did in college. Aldrich is still my most realistic hope at pick #5 if Cousins is gone.

Aldrich did not measure out well IMO. He wore 2.25 inch thick shoes and weighed only 236.
2.25inch?! is this guy wearing stripper shoes or something ??! :D

We can scratch Aldrich off the list. Looks like it's going to be Johnson for our pick if Cousins is not available.

Also I'm tried of our team getting bullied by teams with real tall 7'+ front lines. The lakers' success weighs a lot on their bigs getting rebs and causing mismatches. They regularly glab rebs away from our bigs when they play. Its time for us to have height advantage on everyone.

That's what everyone said last year when I was comparing Reke to Wade upside-wise... production wise Aldrich played a lot like Okafor did in college. Aldrich is still my most realistic hope at pick #5 if Cousins is gone.
How were you proven right that Evans has Wade upside? And I don't see the connection anyway.

College production does not = NBA production. I think he'll probably be a good rebounder and maybe a solid post defender still, but if we're going to take a center that doesn't add much offensively, he better have the upside to be a damn good post defender.

Last edited: