Kings acquire Hilton Armstrong

A

AriesMar27

on the bright side we now have 4 players that are listed as at least 6'11(though i dont think that donte is really 6'11)....

piksi

Hall of Famer
Well they can't just give us a player and cash and not give ANYTHING in return. Unless I'm mistaken you can't do that due to the CBA. So we give them a conditional second round pick.

Why we did it, that's the big question. Is he really supposed to be our 12th guy on the bench as a better 12th option than May, and May will get waived?

Or, is he a filler piece for trades Geoff is lining up?
May is making under 1 M $

Armstrong is making 2.8 M$ which is more than half of the Kings players

neither one serves real purpose uless May has been eating too much food on the plane rides. Hilton Clearly doesn't eat much

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Hilton has a chance to quickly become a Kings fan unfavorite -- he has the basketball I.Q. of a tulip bulb. I just hope those conditions on that 2nd round pick are something like "if the planetoid Pluto slams into the Earth and we are all incinerated."

As far as this being about the cash, that obviousdly does not make sense since we are now paying Armstrong's salry. So it can't be a $$ winner for us unless they gave us a big enough wad of cash to pay for his entire salary and then some (which they could do and have it actually make sense for them since he was going to cost them twice his salary if they kept him and remained over the cap).

May is making under 1 M $

Armstrong is making 2.8 M$ which is more than half of the Kings players

neither one serves real purpose uless May has been eating too much food on the plane rides. Hilton Clearly doesn't eat much
Good point. With May on a diet, we can give Armstrong May's portions.

And while Armstrong is making 2.8 this year, it sounds like we are getting paid enough to pay off the rest of what Armstrong is owed, which makes him cost exactly 0 dollars in salary.

This is stupid. We had 3.2 million ( give or take ) of cap room. The Thunder got Eric Maynor for their cap space, and we get .. Hilton Armstong.

Its hard to get upset over such a small deal, but it just doesnt seem smart. We'll see how it all shakes out at the deadline, but right now I give this deal an F.

We dont need Hilton Armstong. We just dont .. he does nothing for us. The only reason I wanted Sean Williams is because his one strength is our weakness. Looks like we wont be going after Williams after all.

It could deffinetly be a money thing. It doesnt make it any better though. The most a team can give is 3 mil right? Hilton makes 2.8 ( but we should only be responsible for half or almost half of it .. say 1.4, so the Maloofs come out of this 1.6 million dollars richer.

I suspect this could be the foreshadowing of a multiple-player trade? With an expiring contract, at the very least, Hilton is a tall body for JT and Spencer to practice against.

Bricklayer

This is stupid. We had 3.2 million ( give or take ) of cap room. The Thunder got Eric Maynor for their cap space, and we get .. Hilton Armstong.

Its hard to get upset over such a small deal, but it just doesnt seem smart. We'll see how it all shakes out at the deadline, but right now I give this deal an F.

We dont need Hilton Armstong. We just dont .. he does nothing for us. The only reason I wanted Sean Williams is because his one strength is our weakness. Looks like we wont be going after Williams after all.
The other thing is that it reduces our flexibility in any other potential trades. Won't be able to take extra salary back.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Good point. With May on a diet, we can give Armstrong May's portions.

And while Armstrong is making 2.8 this year, it sounds like we are getting paid enough to pay off the rest of what Armstrong is owed, which makes him cost exactly 0 dollars in salary.
Are we trying to become a good team again or are we just renting roster spots for teams to get under Cap and compete with us for free agents.

That is kinda dumb. We got a player for the rest of the season for free. Hornets got the salary cap relieve of 2.8 millions X 2 because they are over the cap. Now they don't have to trade Okafor or anyone else they don't want too in addition to the fact that they saved money that they eventually can use for potential free agents

Well now our expiring non-minimum contracts are

KT 8.7M
Armstrong 2.8M
Sergio 1.6M

13.1M total

That's just about enough to make a Bosh trade work. I've consulted Hollinger and he thinks we MIGHT have to throw in a first round pick to make it work.;)

Bricklayer

I suspect this could be the foreshadowing of a multiple-player trade? With an expiring contract, at the very least, Hilton is a tall body for JT and Spencer to practice against.

Thing is that under NBA rules we can't trade him in a package deal for...30 days? 60 days? Forgot what it is. In any case, with the trade deadline coming up in a little over a month it might very well mean he can't be traded agiain this season (except one for one -- you are always allowed to tade somebody oen for one, no matter how recently you traded for a guy. But who's going to give you anything worthwhile for Hilton Armstrong one for one?)

piksi

Hall of Famer
Well now our expiring non-minimum contracts are

KT 8.7M
Armstrong 2.8M
Sergio 1.6M

13.1M total

That's just about enough to make a Bosh trade work. I've consulted Hollinger and he thinks we MIGHT have to throw in a first round pick to make it work.;)

right ;)

Im trying to find out how long you have to wait before you can trade a player after you acquire him ( aside from the 1 for 1 rule )

Something tells me its more than 30 days, which would make this deal a lot worse.

Are we trying to become a good team again or are we just renting roster spots for teams to get under Cap and compete with us for free agents.

That is kinda dumb. We got a player for the rest of the season for free. Hornets got the salary cap relieve of 2.8 millions X 2 because they are over the cap. Now they don't have to trade Okafor or anyone else they don't want too in addition to the fact that they saved money that they eventually can use for potential free agents
And again I go back to the fact that we don't know what the big picture is. Only the Kings front office does. And, I believe there may be a bigger reason for this, such as potential trade(s) coming down the pipe.

That's a highly ignorant statement. And if you don't understand why, then you don't "get it".
I can't believe I'm going to defend Ares but how is this an ignorant statement. Were there other valuable free agent/trade moves this off-season that we aren't aware of?

It isn't enough to attack someone's position just by claiming they don't understand what could be happening behind the scenes when there is ample evidence that what's happening behind the scenes in the Kings front office is often just how it appears at face value.

The hornets were paying $5.6 million for Armstrong(including luxury tax)

im sure that:

1) they paid for nearly all of Armstrong's salary(since kings are under lux cap, there proly only is about 1.7 million remaining on it)

2) the second round pick is like super super super protected and will never be actually used by NO

so basically, we its most likely that we got him for FREE or nearly free...just so the hornets wouldn't have to pay the ADDITIONAL $2.8 million in lux tax

In answer to some questions, here's the CBA FAQ page to refer to down below. It appears the Kings could trade Armstrong immediately, if they want to, because he was not traded in combination with any other players. So maybe the Maloofs wanted the money or maybe GP wants more trade pieces for some other deal. At least Armstrong's contract is expiring. Gives us more expiring contracts to work a deal with.
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q84

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The hornets were paying $5.6 million for Armstrong(including luxury tax)

im sure that:

1) they paid for nearly all of Armstrong's salary(since kings are under lux cap, there proly only is about 1.7 million remaining on it)

2) the second round pick is like super super super protected and will never be actually used by NO

so basically, we its most likely that we got him for FREE or nearly free...just so the hornets wouldn't have to pay the ADDITIONAL $2.8 million in lux tax
Plus, for all we know, Geoff actually picked him up because he can help the team. (Unfortunately his recent track record with non-drafted big men says no [see: Thomas, Kenny; Moore, Mikki; May, Fatguy;])

Plus, for all we know, Geoff actually picked him up because he can help the team. (Unfortunately his recent track record with non-drafted big men says no [see: Thomas, Kenny; Moore, Mikki; May, Fatguy;])
well thats the general idea

nothing much to lose, additional big, possible trade bait(expiring)

i dont know if i like this trade but hes definitley the best shotblocker on our team already. Hes was a a pretty good defender at uconn->(3.1 BPG, 61 % fg and big east defenive player of the year) when they won so i dunno maybe westphal can bring the best out of him.
it'll be good for spence and JT to go up against a non-oompa loompa in practice.

Last edited:
And again I go back to the fact that we don't know what the big picture is. Only the Kings front office does. And, I believe there may be a bigger reason for this, such as potential trade(s) coming down the pipe.
Hope you are right, but I suspect it was more like "Hey, we get a backup center for free which we need and make 1M or so in the process. Win Win!"

All the while half the league is in luxury tax territory and will be fighting like hell to get under in the next 4 weeks. Who knows what sort of assets we could have worked out or what we could have gotten rid of (Nocioni) in the process.