Kings acquire Hilton Armstrong

For comparison sake:

Kenny Thomas PER - 9.4
Hilton Armstrong PER - 7.7
Sean May PER - 6.1

Talk about disappointing, New Orleans had to be desperate and we didn't even get a 1st? The only way this makes sense is if they are sending more cash than his contract has on it. This also must mean the Maloofs are still in dire straights.
again, im 99.9% sure that NO paid enough money to cover Armstrong's salary and they aren't actually going to get the pick, its too conditional/protected

we got him for nearly free, all this does is puts NO under the luxury tax so they wouldnt pay an addition 2.8 in taxes

Im the only one that likes the deal. I recall a thread earlier in the season that called for any old athletic shotblocking bigman. That player has come to us in the form of hilton armstrong. Some of you get so caught up in acquiring a star that any lesser deal seems terrible. Armstrong is mobile and can block shots. Amen.

A

AriesMar27

Hawes is 21.
Beno is playing up to his contract.
..and Tyreke out weighs anything else you can bring up over the last few years.
quincy douby over rondo? trading webber for thomas... okay lets not get into this.... but his trades usually suck. this one is no exception unless hilton somehow puts up monster numbers, which i seriously doubt.

We get a big for free (and maybe additional cash) who also has an expiring contract. This is not really a big deal.
I think people are getting too caught up with our recent surge of our kids and thought we are somehow in "win-now" mode again....

He's an expiring contract so he can either work his @$$ off and contribute or be forgotten after this season.

Look what one of the Hornets forum members had to say about Hilton

"We could've gotten a bucket of Popeye's in return and it would've been a steal." :D

Im the only one that likes the deal. I recall a thread earlier in the season that called for any old athletic shotblocking bigman. That player has come to us in the form of hilton armstrong. Some of you get so caught up in acquiring a star that any lesser deal seems terrible. Armstrong is mobile and can block shots. Amen.

yeah I don't get why it's so terrible. We have nothing to lose here because he's an expiring contract, they'll probably never see the pick, he's tall and athletic so if he can get a pulse and get up for this opportunity it could work out. If not he's an expiring to package for another player.

quincy douby over rondo? trading webber for thomas... okay lets not get into this.... but his trades usually suck. this one is no exception unless hilton somehow puts up monster numbers, which i seriously doubt.

Give me a break with the Douby over Rondo bull****.
Every single team in the league has passed on talent one time or another.

^^^ THIS!!!!

+ hes a 2.8 expiring we can package @ the trade deadline!!

this is a AWESOME AWESOME move

NOTHING TO LOSE AT ALL
We can't package him at the trade deadline, we have to wait two months which is passed the trade deadline:

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q87

This is a horrible trade because we lose a chance to be a major player at the trade deadline. The number of teams with Cap Space was down to us and the Grizzlies and we sold ours for two wooden nickles. This also means that the Maloofs were so desperate for cash we had to do this trade. They probably would have made the same amount when the luxury tax disbursements were made if the Hornets had to pay.

K

Kingsguy881

Why? Why does he have to put up monster #'s? We get him FREE. NOTHING! If he does nothing at the very least NO owes us a favor. You just don't get it, do you?

A

AriesMar27

I'm pretty sure Douby is the only late 1st round pick ever that didn't work out!
does gerald wallace count? he's a good player but lets be honest, he didnt pan out for us.... and i wouldnt have broken a sweat if the kings didnt give garcia and extension....

K

Kingsguy881

We can't package him at the trade deadline, we have to wait two months which is passed the trade deadline:

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q87

This is a horrible trade because we lose a chance to be a major player at the trade deadline. The number of teams with Cap Space was down to us and the Grizzlies and we sold ours for two wooden nickles. This also means that the Maloofs were so desperate for cash we had to do this trade. They probably would have made the same amount when the luxury tax disbursements were made if the Hornets had to pay.
What does cap space have to do with the trading deadline? I can see your argument for the offseason but the trading deadline? Here's a straw, quick, grasp it.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Are we sure that the 60 day rule applies here? Does this put us over the cap? It says doesn't apply to teams under the cap, it doesn't clarify if that is sending, receiving or both.

I was kind of curious if maybe he could be used to get a BYC player or something along that lines.

Ultimately I'm not sure this kills us or helps us. I think we need to move players not absorb more contracts so its questionable but at least he isn't a 2 or a 3.

A

AriesMar27

Why? Why does he have to put up monster #'s? We get him FREE. NOTHING! If he does nothing at the very least NO owes us a favor. You just don't get it, do you?
well, monster for him... no one expects him to be a double-double player... and with this trade we cant trade him in another deal. this might very well be the only move we make. unless we somehow trade thomas or martin which will mean that we wont have any capspace this offseason because we arent gonna trade them for an expiring contract like tmac or anything...

Here is a list of players Petrie has signed or traded for in the last 4-5 years. I may be missing someone but this isn't exactly a stellar record. Let's be honest, the man is a terrific drafter and besides that he's not bringing much to the table recently.

Hilton Armstrong
Sean May
Sergio Rodriguez
Andres Nocioni
Ime Uodoka
Beno Udrih
Desmond Mason
Calvin Booth
Bobby Brown
Ike Diogu
Drew Gooden
Rashad McCants
Mikki Moore
John Salmons
Cedric Simmons
Wil Solomon
Shelden Williams
Orien Greene
Lorenzen Wright
Justin Williams
Jason Hart
Vitaly Potapenko
Mo Taylor

piksi

Hall of Famer
Here is a list of players Petrie has signed or traded for in the last 4-5 years. I may be missing someone but this isn't exactly a stellar record. Let's be honest, the man is a terrific drafter and besides that he's not bringing much to the table recently.

Hilton Armstrong
Sean May
Sergio Rodriguez
Andres Nocioni
Ime Uodoka
Beno Udrih
Desmond Mason
Calvin Booth
Bobby Brown
Ike Diogu
Drew Gooden
Rashad McCants
Mikki Moore
John Salmons
Cedric Simmons
Wil Solomon
Shelden Williams
Orien Greene
Lorenzen Wright
Justin Williams
Jason Hart
Vitaly Potapenko
Mo Taylor

fugly

A

AriesMar27

Hilton Armstrong
Sean May
Sergio Rodriguez
Andres Nocioni
Ime Uodoka
Beno Udrih
Desmond Mason
Calvin Booth
Bobby Brown
Ike Diogu
Drew Gooden
Rashad McCants
Mikki Moore
John Salmons
Cedric Simmons
Wil Solomon
Shelden Williams
Orien Greene
Lorenzen Wright
Justin Williams
Jason Hart
Vitaly Potapenko
Mo Taylor
wheres shareef and bobby jackson?

K

Kingsguy881

well, monster for him... no one expects him to be a double-double player... and with this trade we cant trade him in another deal. this might very well be the only move we make. unless we somehow trade thomas or martin which will mean that we wont have any capspace this offseason because we arent gonna trade them for an expiring contract like tmac or anything...
Why do we have to make a trade? Honestly you are a little too antsy to think clearly sometimes. Must we win a championship this season or bust? I mean, come on! Whats the hurry? Our superstar is ONLY 20!!!! We have time to build a solid foundation, our window is wide open for the next 10-15 years.

K

Kingsguy881

Hilton Armstrong
Sean May
Sergio Rodriguez
Andres Nocioni
Ime Uodoka
Beno Udrih
Desmond Mason
Calvin Booth
Bobby Brown
Ike Diogu
Drew Gooden
Rashad McCants