Official 2009 Nba Draft Thread

why did we pick brockman?? why not a flyer on a int'l player or calathes?? stash em overseas for a few years then bring em over when we are rdy to compete.. 6'7 PF?!? god....... what a way to blow a draft pick
Maybe to help us resign Hawes. I still think we drafted Roberson only to help us resign Pollard. We will see.

First of all, no I haven't.

Second of all, the one thing I've heard so far from both Petrie and Gavin is that Evans REALLY wanted to be here and he made sure they knew that.

I hope that wasn't a top 5 reason why they drafted him... because he made them feel all warm and fuzzy?
Well I don't know if I'd be too concerned about your second point. Ricky wanted to be here more than anyone, we were the only team that he had a workout for and he talked constantly about our weather, city, etc..

I feel bad for the Bucks fans, they had to find out just how much of an immature egotistical *** that Brandon Jennings is very shortly after he was picked. What a complete chicken move that was. That had to be the most awkward thing I've ever witnessed during a draft ever. Who does that?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I feel bad for the Bucks fans, they had to find out just how much of an immature egotistical *** that Brandon Jennings is very shortly after he was picked. What a complete chicken move that was. That had to be the most awkward thing I've ever witnessed during a draft ever. Who does that?

Actually it was reported before the draft that his agent had told him to bail ont he Green Room just before hte draft, so he was probably still on the premises somewhere when he got picked.

And if I was his agent I would have told him hey kid, go ahead and get back out there myself -- you only get one chance to get that picture shaking the commish's hand.

Unless there was something more?
So he only wanted to get a picture if he went in the lottery or something? IMO, he was too conceited to face the music if he dropped and had egg on his face. He either should've not been there at all or been there from the beginning, it was a chicken move.

Bricklayer

So he only wanted to get a picture if he went in the lottery or something? IMO, he was too conceited to face the music if he dropped and had egg on his face. He either should've not been there at all or been there from the beginning, it was a chicken move.
Nobody wants to be that last guy lingering in the green room alone -- nobody. That's been a humiliating experience for a number of peeps. When it looked like he might be slipping toward 20, and before it turned out that every NBA team was goign to gorge themsleves on PGS and ignore everybody else, it could have been a long wait. Understood why his agent told him to sit it out. Also understood why he came back. There is no obligation to sit there and be humiliated for some false random designation. Just lucky they did not invite Blair.

Someone I wanted a few years back who can't handle the ball very well is Steve Novack. He's finally making a name for himself when getting the minutes.. I wouldn't mind if we got a guy like him off the bench for us.
I overstated it a bit. There are exceptions for truly great shooter, especially those with size, but I think a player trying to make it as a shooter will greatly improves his chances of success if he is decent at handling the ball. For that reason I would take a player like Christmas over a player like Budinger when drafting a shooter.

Bricklayer

I overstated it a bit. There are exceptions for truly great shooter, especially those with size, but I think a player trying to make it as a shooter will greatly improves his chances of success if he is decent at handling the ball. For that reason I would take a player like Christmas over a player like Budinger when drafting a shooter.

Christmas can't handle the ball either -- barking up the wrong tree if that's what you are after.

Christmas can't handle the ball either -- barking up the wrong tree if that's what you are after.
I gotta disagree with you. Christmas doesn't handle it well enough to bring the ball up the court or create his own shot but he has some ball handling ability. When he gets defenders running at him he knows how to put the ball on the floor for a few dribbles to get himself a better shot. I used Morrow as an example earlier, not the least bit impressive handling the ball but like Christmas he can handle the ball well enough to make a move with a live dribble. The ability to escape pressure or advance the ball into the 18 foot area off of a kick out pass is all I'm talking about.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
His will be the second #13 jersey I*'ve owned. If he can play defense even 1/2 as good as DC, I'll be a happy camper.

Nobody wants to be that last guy lingering in the green room alone -- nobody. That's been a humiliating experience for a number of peeps. When it looked like he might be slipping toward 20, and before it turned out that every NBA team was goign to gorge themsleves on PGS and ignore everybody else, it could have been a long wait. Understood why his agent told him to sit it out. Also understood why he came back. There is no obligation to sit there and be humiliated for some false random designation. Just lucky they did not invite Blair.
I think that if he's not going to show up for fear of being humiliated then he should just stay away. He just didn't want to face any possible humble pie, but when he found out he was in a position where he looked good, he had no problem walking onto the stage while Stern was still in the middle of introducing him and basking in the spotlight.

Last edited: