More hope...... maybe I shouldn't (Rubio rumor)

Looks like Petrie went to take a look at Rubio...

Holiday is not the first point guard the Kings have scouted. President of Basketball Operations Geoff Petrie just returned from a trip from Europe where he watched Spaniard Ricky Rubio. Rubio is only 18 years old, but many consider him a top five prospect.

"I saw him three time in the last month," said Petrie. "He is very talented, he is creative, he is a pass first point guard. He has good size, he wants to run a team and has a good body of work behind him, because of his experience in international competition."

http://www.news10.net/sports/story.aspx?storyid=59756&catid=3

They were talking about the Rubio/Fegan situation on NBA TV last night. They rarely talk about rumors on the show, so that leaves me to believe there is more truth to this rumor than most rumors floating around out there.

It has to be a good situation for Rubio because given his buyout status he will be practically playing for free his first 2 yrs. Exposure and playing time are directly connected to any endorsment deals he will get, which he needs to help pay off his buyout.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Kobe wasn't drafted by LA, he was drafted by the hornets. He refused to play there, and the trade for Vlade was made.
No, it was a pre-package deal and had nothing to do with his refusal to play with the Hornets. The Lakers stole a Hall of Famer from Petrie...

Last edited:
No, it was a pre-package deal and had nothing to do with his refusal to play with the Hornets. The Lakers stole a Hall of Famer from Petrie...
It was a pre-packaged deal because Kobe's agent was telling teams he wouldn't report. The hornets knew LA was interested, so they drafted him anyway to deal Kobe as a commodity. They never drafted him with the intention of playing him because they knew he wouldn't play. If he was willing, I'm not so sure they would have made that deal. And they didn't steal anything from GP.

Now THAT is a phrase I never thought I'd see here.... :p
No kidding. It's also quite bizarre to hear a player (or rather his agent) say that he might refuse to play somewhere because he wants to play for Sacramento. I mean, I know we're a much larger media market than either Memphis or Oklahoma city, but it still seems a bit strange.

I think Jason Thompson is way way too high a price to move up two spots in the draft. I hope we don't go overboard here.

#4 + #31 sounds right to me. Otherwise, eff it - take what you can get at #4. Rubio isn't a lock to be an NBA star anyway. I don't want to throw the whole kitchen sink just to get Rubio.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think Jason Thompson is way way too high a price to move up two spots in the draft. I hope we don't go overboard here.

#4 + #31 sounds right to me. Otherwise, eff it - take what you can get at #4. Rubio isn't a lock to be an NBA star anyway. I don't want to throw the whole kitchen sink just to get Rubio.
I could see including Thompson in some kind of deal if it were for the #1 pick. Such as #4 and Thompson for the #1 pick. At least that way your replacing a PF with a PF. But for the #2 pick you just fill one hole and create another one.

No kidding. It's also quite bizarre to hear a player (or rather his agent) say that he might refuse to play somewhere because he wants to play for Sacramento. I mean, I know we're a much larger media market than either Memphis or Oklahoma city, but it still seems a bit strange.

It was said a page ago.. He is pretty much playing for endorsement deals at this point, and the best places to land are in places where he will either ;

a)get a ton of playing time
b)large market

Sacramento falls in the "A" category, and LA falls in the "B" category. Being that it is the Clippers though I am sure he would probably rather come here seeing that they have Davis, and that the Clips aren't much of a media magnet.

It's good for the Kings, but I am not getting my hopes up.

I’d love to have Rubio here, but I’m really tired of seeing agents determine that some teams have no right in drafting their player.

But if this is true then I’d really hope Geoff decides to jump on it. The fan base needs a boost and this will help a lot. It seems that Rubio is Geoff’s type of player and it seems a lot of people here are a big supporter of Rubio. Let’s hope it happens…Give our #4 and #31 to the Grizzlies for their #2.

Then trade Beno to the Lakers for Jordan Farmar and Adam Morrison.

Can some translate or summarize this?

http://www.marca.com/2009/05/21/baloncesto/nba/1242931598.html

I tried with a webpage translator, from what I've read, Rubio's camp aren't exactly high on coming to Sacramento.
Basically it's saying that if Memphis takes Rubio that Fegan will try to work out a trade even though Memphis has a better team and more people in the city. They try to compare Sacramento with Memphis a bit, and some cities in Spain. They also compare the distance from Sacramento to Los Angeles. They basically said Sacramento is a better place to play in than Memphis...

The article also mentions that Sacramento is also looking for a head coach, and seems in a bit of "disarray" right now with a lot of trades, and new players.

No mention of him not wanting to come here though. The main part of the article basically said that if Memphis took him then they would try to work out a trade for him to come to Sac.

Oh guys.. Get this...

The Bulls sent the No. 2 pick and a conditional second-round selection to the Blazers for the No. 4 pick and Viktor Khryapa.

It might not take a whole lot to get Rubio.. Trades like this are done a bunch on draft nights.. Another is Foye for Roy (even though it was a 6th for a 7th pick)

Aslo that same day Aldridge was traded for Thomas.

We might not even have to give up anything more than a #31 and #4 for Rubio. Especially since he came out and said he doesn't want to go to OKC, or MEM.

Basically it's saying that if Memphis takes Rubio that Fegan will try to work out a trade even though Memphis has a better team and more people in the city. They try to compare Sacramento with Memphis a bit, and some cities in Spain. They also compare the distance from Sacramento to Los Angeles. They basically said Sacramento is a better place to play in than Memphis...

The article also mentions that Sacramento is also looking for a head coach, and seems in a bit of "disarray" right now with a lot of trades, and new players.

No mention of him not wanting to come here though. The main part of the article basically said that if Memphis took him then they would try to work out a trade for him to come to Sac.
i see... thanks! :D

re

Memphis really needs a PF. too bad they traded a good one for nothing, but that shows how stupid they are. Think about Gay, Gasol, Mayo and Conley......Conley was very good after the coaching change when he got some freedom. Memphis was in full salary dump mode a year ago so I can't think they want to take on more.....but expirings?? I think #4 plus cash or second rd + expiring might do it. They aren't the smartest management out there, and Heisley sort of overrules his GM anyways.

OKC needs a center badly, Krstic and Collison are terrible. They probably don't really want rubio as Westbrook needs the ball to be effective. Westbrook was not nearly as effective off the ball, even in college. He played 2 but in the NCAA when he shined, he was iso'd with the ball. Hill would also fit here (Griffin of course better) as Green's kind of a tweener. Don't think he has the shooting range for a 3 and that's Durants natural position and too small for a 4. That's why I think they would deal him. Thabeet fits too as OKC has plenty of offense. 2 guard is a need but I think they go big first.

Rubio could fall, but doubtful as I see one of the other two trading down to get Hill with another that really wants Rubio. Rubio wants Sacto as other than our coaching situation, we're much more stable franchise with good owners/GM. Starting situation for him in a fan friendly place. I think we'd have to move up to get him. I also think maybe Petrie spoke with him and Fegan. Rubio would die playing for Dunleavy. Dunleavy sucked the life right out of Baron Davis as his controlling call every play style didn't fit with BD's uptempo game. Clippers need Griffin as Randolph's a good numbers guy, but bad teammate and bad influence on everyone around him. Griffin as good and better person, face of the franchise. Clips will be doing some dealing regardless this offseason. Rubio can also completely pull out of draft without someone drafting him a week or so prior to draft. Supposedly he needs 1 or 2 pick to pay off buyout and then live off endorsements for a couple of years. Also, Jovenkut previously said they did not want him to declare and would not negotiate his buyout, but if he waited a year, they would be much more amenable to "negotiating" his buyout.

Regardless, and I would like to see Rubio, we are going to get a good player this year, Jennings, Holiday, Flynn, Evans one/or all will be good NBA players. Maybe no Lebron, but every "weak" draft has good players who fall past 1/2 pick. Petrie will find a good one for us, that we must trust. The one thing I like about the direction of the franchise is the Maloofs are giving Petrie full reign, as the instability of our franchise has been too many cooks in the kitchen. Sorry so long....

Jason Thompson will probably be needed including our 4th pick for Memphis to even consider even trading with us. I've heard rumors that CHI is looking to trade Tyrus Thomas...I think we can pick him up this offseason --- filling our hole in th PF position.

Oh guys.. Get this...

The Bulls sent the No. 2 pick and a conditional second-round selection to the Blazers for the No. 4 pick and Viktor Khryapa.

It might not take a whole lot to get Rubio.. Trades like this are done a bunch on draft nights.. Another is Foye for Roy (even though it was a 6th for a 7th pick)

Aslo that same day Aldridge was traded for Thomas.

We might not even have to give up anything more than a #31 and #4 for Rubio. Especially since he came out and said he doesn't want to go to OKC, or MEM.
The perception of that draft is so much different than this one. No one at the top of that draft was as highly thought of as Rubio or Griffin.

Jason Thompson will probably be needed including our 4th pick for Memphis to even consider even trading with us. I've heard rumors that CHI is looking to trade Tyrus Thomas...I think we can pick him up this offseason --- filling our hole in th PF position.
Thomas isn't a pure PF.. No thanks.

The perception of that draft is so much different than this one. No one at the top of that draft was as highly thought of as Rubio or Griffin.
Yah, but it is a weak draft. Probably will turn out to be as weak as that year.

Basically it's saying that if Memphis takes Rubio that Fegan will try to work out a trade even though Memphis has a better team and more people in the city.
I They need to do a little more research over there. Memphis has more people within city boundaries (677,272). Sacramento (460,242) has, strangely, has tended not to annex growing neighboring areas over the years.

However in terms of metropolitan area, Sacramento blows Memphis out of the water.

(Below stats from Wikipedia)

The greater Memphis metropolitan area, including adjacent counties in Mississippi and Arkansas, has a population of 1,280,533.

Sacramento is the core cultural and economic center of its four-county metropolitan area (El Dorado, Placer, Sacramento, and Yolo counties) with a combined population of 2,136,604

Last edited:
Thomas isn't a pure PF.. No thanks.

Yah, but it is a weak draft. Probably will turn out to be as weak as that year.
Eh, I don't know if I'd go that far. Well, we're not talking about the whole draft here. We're talking about the difference in value between the #2 and #4 picks between those two drafts, and I'm saying the difference in this draft is much bigger than in the 06 draft.