and with the #1 pick in the 2009 NBA draft the Kings select...

Im pretty confused after reading some of these comments .. Griffin played about as well as you can play when your guards are doing nothing to spread the floor for you. They didnt hit a 3 pointer till there were 10 minutes left in the game .. that matters.

Oklahoma fell behind in the first half because of two things.

1) They couldnt hit a shot. Blake was passing well out of the double and triple teams and NO ONE could hit a shot. They were open shots aswell. It got to the point were no one had any confidence that they started passing up good shots and just doing nothing with the ball.

2) UNC got a ton of second chance buckets. If you blame Griffin for that, I think if you check out the stats you'd change your mind ... Blake Griffin had 16 rebounds, Do you know how many rebounds Tyler Griffin had ? 2, all game. And every other started had 1. Talk about getting NO help on the glass.

Then there were the points off turnovers. Griffin would call for the ball almost every time down, and the guards would throw him just god aweful passes that led to easy buckets.

Theres not much more 1 guy can do against a well balanced team like UNC. I just find it hard to believe some people can come out of this game unimpressed and even dissapointed with how he played ..

PS. He has really good hands, he caught some bad passes out there that I thought he had no chance in getting. One that sticks out is at the end of the first half he basically saved a pass from going out of bounds and flicked up a shot from behind the backboard and got it in.

You guys can say what you want about Griffin, but after watching a nice bit of this game, Griffin still managed to get his numbers against pesky double teams. When he wasn't double teamed, he took over, and that's that (from what I saw anyway, like I said I never saw the whole game). I think he is without a doubt the #1 pick in this draft, and I think he will have a solid, if not great, NBA career. The only thing I'm concerned about right now is his height.

I can't add a lot to what has already been said. My gut told me that Oklahoma couldn't win this game because of the talent level difference. I was very disappointed in Taylor Griffin today. He's a big part of Oklahoma's offense and rebounding. He brought nothing today. Warren brought nothing. Blake was the only player on the team to show up. He was doubled the whole game and he still got his points. He's a very unselfish player. He always trys to get his teammates involved in the game.

He's also a player that once he realizes that something needs to be done, he can turn it on. Thus the difference between the first and second half. One last thing. To criticize someone for their lack of rebounding when they pulled down 16 rebounds, is not subjective, nor objective. And its certainly not supported by logic. Its just seeing what you want to see. Its having an agenda. Its just spin. And, its just pure nonsense.

I can't add a lot to what has already been said. My gut told me that Oklahoma couldn't win this game because of the talent level difference. I was very disappointed in Taylor Griffin today. He's a big part of Oklahoma's offense and rebounding. He brought nothing today. Warren brought nothing. Blake was the only player on the team to show up. He was doubled the whole game and he still got his points. He's a very unselfish player. He always trys to get his teammates involved in the game.

He's also a player that once he realizes that something needs to be done, he can turn it on. Thus the difference between the first and second half. One last thing. To criticize someone for their lack of rebounding when they pulled down 16 rebounds, is not subjective, nor objective. And its certainly not supported by logic. Its just seeing what you want to see. Its having an agenda. Its just spin. And, its just pure nonsense.
In the first half he let guys slip in for some crucial offensive rebounds. You often criticize Thabeet for not blocking out. Well, Griffin didn't always block out and sometimes tries to rely on his athleticism. Just because he had a lot of boards doesn't mean he shouldn't have had more or is above reproach. I agree he needed more help, but he gets a lot of boards because guys let Griffin grab the board and quickly leak out. He doesn't have much competition for boards among his own team.

I don't believe much that the Griffin detractors have to say here. I've seen the guy pass & dribble out of double teams, rebound very high above the rim, & put the ball on the floor and move around his man for a dunk with the speed of very few PF's. For people to say that this guy at 20 yrs of age, can't do something when he gets to the NBA, whether it be defend, develop a face up game, or play with his back to the basket, is utterly rediculous. With his skill set and bb IQ, there isn't anything he can't learn to do.

What I find amazing, is that the same people that say he can't do something, are the same people who have defended the Kings rookies based on their potential.

Having said all this, I hope the kids a complete flop, because we're probably going to get the #3 pick and I don't like the idea of having to play OKC if they get him. We'd probably never get past Porland & OKC, on our way to the Division Championship.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
^The difference is draft position. If you draft Hawes or JT at #1 its a bust. If you get them at 10 or lower its a great pick especially when there are guys picked ahead of them that aren't playing as well or showing the same potential at an NBA level. If you get the #1 pick the bar is raised and you're expected to get a superstar even if one isn't available you will be second guessed for every third tier player picked after your guy if he doesn't pan out.

^The difference is draft position. If you draft Hawes or JT at #1 its a bust. If you get them at 10 or lower its a great pick especially when there are guys picked ahead of them that aren't playing as well or showing the same potential at an NBA level. If you get the #1 pick the bar is raised and you're expected to get a superstar even if one isn't available you will be second guessed for every third tier player picked after your guy if he doesn't pan out.

Your right! There's a resposibility that comes with the number one pick. And you will be second guessed at some point. Especially with big men, becaue they generally take longer to develop. There are people in Portland that are second guessing Oden right now. I still think Oden will be good to great, if he can stay healthy.

Here's the deal. If you pick the consensus number one pick of all the pundits and scouts, and he doesn't turn out to be as good as advertised, you'll catch some flack. But if you pass on that same player and he turns into a superstar, you better have a good shovel to dig a deep foxhole.

If your the GM with the number one pick and you have serious doubts about said player, then I think your better off trading the pick for an established player or more picks in the first round.

I say with the number one draft pick they trade out of it with Minnestota and get 2 of their 3 first round draft picks. Get Minnestota highest and lowest first rounds. This still allows the Kings to get a top 5 pick and a later one. Yeah you might have to stick a player in that trade or a 2nd rounder but what player do they have know that cant be replaced (besides Kevin Martin). This would allow Minnestota to get who ever they want.
If they had the first pick I would go with Blake Griffen because it is hard to find a good big man that can power is way down in the aint and also have post moves.

And to think that I am going to be a Griffin apologist and agree with you...:D

I thought Griffin was impressive on the offensive end. For the first time I saw some impressive quickness. His rebounding was impressive. I thought he matched up well with the NC players because he was strong enough to overpower them (and that's why they double teamed him). The announcer made an excellent observation - Oklahoma needed to hit Griffin with the pass on the move. When they did that (and they didn't do it nearly enough), he's just like Martin - he's very tough. When Griffin has to start the offense, however, from a standstill (just like Martin), he's not nearly as impressive. That's when a bigger player can (and has) had his way with him. And, of course, it's easier to double him if he just starts the offense on the block from a standstill. On the defensive end, Griffin was nonexistent.

On a side note, I've like Thompson from NC for quite a while now. I think he has NBA talent.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Its all good! I'm picturing LeBron dribbling down the court with a confused look on his face singing a cheezy pop tune. He'd probably still beat us.:eek:
I was thinking of the Thompson Twins - not sure if you got the joke. Granted, it wasn't very good, but there nonetheless. ;)

I was thinking of the Thompson Twins - not sure if you got the joke. Granted, it wasn't very good, but there nonetheless. ;)
Wow, even better!! We could have three Thompson's on the floor. Just think. What if we could then draft both Griffins. Three Thompson's and two Griffin's on the floor at the same time. They wouldn't know what hit them.:eek:

The McDonald's All-American game is on ESPN right now if you guys want to check out next year's freshmen class. Henson and Favors are the guys I'm going to be keeping an eye on.

Favors won the MVP, 19 pts 8 rebs. He looked really good, he's 6'9, long, and has a very good frame. Very good all around athlete, scored moost of his points off lobs and pick and rolls, and played sound defense.

GT is going to have some good talent next year with Favors, Lawal, and Shumpert.

If we get #1 we should pick Blake Griffin, no questions asked.

The talent in the Draft this year is Blake Griffin, then everybody else. Ricky Rubio will probably be a good player as well, but I'd rather try to pick up a PG with our 2nd 1st rounder. Who even knows if Rubio will leave Spain immediately. I've read rumors that he may stick around a year or 2. We cannot afford that! We need a change of culture and fast!

Spencer Hawes and Jason Thompson have progressed alot this season, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't pick up Blake Griffin. We would have a solid 3 man rotation of bigs for years to come. Griffin may be able to play a little SF if we want to go with a big line up.

Blake Griffin is 6-10 and athletic as all hell. It will be exciting to see him grab a board and push the break for us next year. I think he'll be like an Amar'e Staudemire for us, hopefully with more defense tho :D

What's new with Craig Brackins draft stock. He seems to fit with the Houston's pick range to me, and would be a great compliment to the Kings front line even if they draft Griffin or Thabeet as he's a F/C.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Craig-Brackins-1147/

With so many similar PGs this year it seems we could find a steal with the 2nd round pick (Mills/Maynor type player). Wouldn't it make sense to get someone to play C and PF around Hawes and JT. I think the Kings are set at SG + SF for the next several seasons.

With so many similar PGs this year it seems we could find a steal with the 2nd round pick (Mills/Maynor type player). Wouldn't it make sense to get someone to play C and PF around Hawes and JT. I think the Kings are set at SG + SF for the next several seasons. Yesterday 11:39 PM
Your going to want the 3 big playing the majority of the bigs minutes. Having Brackins coming off the bench for 10mpg is a waste. We're better off sign someone like Calvin Booth to a veteran minimum contract. Besides we still have K9 and Donte, as a PF backup.

There may be some surprise PG's in the 2nd round, but the cream of the draft will go in the top 20. So, I'd like to see, the Kings try to move the Houston pick up to around #15 so that we have a good chance of picking up a PG. Unless of course we get Rubio at #2.

Unless we resign McCants, I think we could pick up another wing in the 2nd round. We could use another catch & shot guy or tweener PG/SG. Guys like Danny Green & Christmas may still be available.

If we get #1 we should pick Blake Griffin, no questions asked.

The talent in the Draft this year is Blake Griffin, then everybody else. Ricky Rubio will probably be a good player as well, but I'd rather try to pick up a PG with our 2nd 1st rounder. Who even knows if Rubio will leave Spain immediately. I've read rumors that he may stick around a year or 2. We cannot afford that! We need a change of culture and fast!

Spencer Hawes and Jason Thompson have progressed alot this season, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't pick up Blake Griffin. We would have a solid 3 man rotation of bigs for years to come. Griffin may be able to play a little SF if we want to go with a big line up.

Blake Griffin is 6-10 and athletic as all hell. It will be exciting to see him grab a board and push the break for us next year. I think he'll be like an Amar'e Staudemire for us, hopefully with more defense tho :D
i've missed out on all of the early draft talk, so i'm sure i'm only echoing what has likely already been said a million times, but if the kings get the #1 pick, it's gotta be blake griffin. ricky rubio is certainly an interesting prospect, as well, should he declare for the draft. his court vision, passing skills, and propensity for the spectacular play make him an attractive pick. i like him a lot and think he'd be a fun addition to this young kings squad, but as a #2 or #3 pick, at best. the talent gap between blake griffin and everybody else just seems to be exceptionally large, moreso than in previous drafts, anyway. i haven't been following the prospects enough to judge those players outside of the hype machine, so i don't know if the other PG's in this draft measure up to rubio's potential as a top 5 pick, though i'm sure there's at least a couple worth taking a look at...

i will say that i would have no problem with the kings drafting blake griffin at #1 and signing ramon sessions with whatever cap space is available this off season...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
i will say that i would have no problem with the kings drafting blake griffin at #1 and signing ramon sessions with whatever cap space is available this off season...

Minor problem -- if possible, we'd be even worse defensively. Teams might average 125 against us next year.

Minor problem -- if possible, we'd be even worse defensively. Teams might average 125 against us next year.
the real "problem," then, as far as i can tell, is coaching. the kings are a losing team. they are young and mistake-prone. but talent-wise, they're not the worst in the nba. defensively, this group of players will never be of the lock-down variety. but they don't need to be, either, if they find the right offensive chemistry and the right coaching staff. of course, lack of an exceptional defense doesn't excuse the no-defense attitude currently thriving in kingsland. they can score their points and play passable defense, too. i'm not beyond believing that this young team, including future picks, can learn to play halfway decent team-defense (though kevin martin may be beyond saving, at this point, on that side of the ball)...

if the kings played up to their talent-level, they'd still be in the lottery this year, because of the many personnel changes and the mid-season head coaching change. but they'd be somewhere in the middle-late end of the lottery, away from the obvious #1 pick of blake griffin, and closer to a sensible defensive-anchor pick like thabeet. of course, that's not where the kings are, so unless geoff petrie uncharacteristically wants to deal on draft day, its gonna be hard to imagine the team passing on blake griffin, should they land that #1 pick...

i am definitely not opposed to petrie moving down in the draft to snag a player like thabeet, as long as he can get value for the potential of blake griffin (is 20/10 potential a reasonable estimation, defensive liabilities aside?)...

i've missed out on all of the early draft talk, so i'm sure i'm only echoing what has likely already been said a million times, but if the kings get the #1 pick, it's gotta be blake griffin. ricky rubio is certainly an interesting prospect, as well, should he declare for the draft. his court vision, passing skills, and propensity for the spectacular play make him an attractive pick. i like him a lot and think he'd be a fun addition to this young kings squad, but as a #2 or #3 pick, at best. the talent gap between blake griffin and everybody else just seems to be exceptionally large, moreso than in previous drafts, anyway. i haven't been following the prospects enough to judge those players outside of the hype machine, so i don't know if the other PG's in this draft measure up to rubio's potential as a top 5 pick, though i'm sure there's at least a couple worth taking a look at...

Yea I was late to the draft talk party too, I just threw down my opinion without really reading what had already been said. :D

I agree completely with what you said. Rubio is great at #2 or #3. If we get the #1 pick we have to take Griffin.