Scott Howard Cooper trade idea: Artest/KT for Odom

But... but... Brick!! Ron Artest is an IMPACT PLAYER. Do you notice how he's a better player when I CAPITALIZE MY WORDS?? The only player from the Lakers we should be trading Ron Artest for is KOBE BRYANT and even that wouldn't be fair because RON ARTEST IS THE BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER IN THE NBA POSSIBLY EVER WE SHOULD MAKE HIM POPE AND PRESIDENT.

did you see game 6 of the finals? allen and pierce took turns flying by any defender not named kobe bryant... and the kings dont have the pieces to take back a player like walton either...
Ultimately, it was one series. The lakers still made it to the finals and blew by the western conference, and that was without Bynum. The lakers don't have to do anything and that's why they're not going to overpay for any player.

Let's get a couple things straight here. The Lakers aren't giving us Farmar or Ariza. Its just not happening. We don't have anything they'd want to give up their young talent, outside of Martin. If we trade Martin to the Lakers, I'm going to throw up and choke on the vomit.

Alright, now that we are past that. Odom for KT/Artest is a huge win for us. We remove the WORST contract on our roster, and pick up a huge, valuable trading asset in Odom at the cost of Ron Artest. Artest, while valuable, is not in the Kings long term plans. He is going to ask to go to a contender or a large contract, neither of which the Kings are going to be able to accomodate at the end of this upcoming season.

Also, wouldn't Odom fit perfectly in our system? A big man who can pass, rebound, and score 15 a game? Even if we only have him for a year, it would be a huge improvement over every other PF we have and I'm sure there will be takers around the trading deadline if we wanted to get younger guys or picks. We need to rebuild. I think a guy precisely like Odom in the last year of his contract helps us achieve that goal.

Last edited:
That would be almsot problematic, because at that point having Odom, and therefore doing our annual chasing the playoffs thing, blows another top 10 draft pick for us. And because we are doing our annual chasing windmills thing we also refuse to trade him for picks/kids at the deadline. At that point his only value is an expiring contract liquidating KT. But he could be worth so much more.
My ideal would definitely be to parlay Odom into some prospects/draft picks (like, say, a deadline deal for a contract expiring in 2010, a pick, and a good young prospect), but you know how this organization is about making the playoffs. If we were to do an offseason deal for Odom it would probably put the Kings in contention for a playoff spot, and then of course the organization wouldn't want to take another step back by trading him for more inexperienced youth.

Not sure it would be the worst thing in the world to get back into the playoffs next year and keep retooling for 2010 (the difference between an 8th seed and a late lotto pick really isn't that big). Worst case scenario Odom's salary expires and we get the cap space.

But we all know how this organization operates, and winning however many games possible comes before making the correct rebuilding move.

But... but... Brick!! Ron Artest is an IMPACT PLAYER. Do you notice how he's a better player when I CAPITALIZE MY WORDS?? The only player from the Lakers we should be trading Ron Artest for is KOBE BRYANT and even that wouldn't be fair because RON ARTEST IS THE BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER IN THE NBA POSSIBLY EVER WE SHOULD MAKE HIM POPE AND PRESIDENT.

He really is better when you capitalize his name. RON ARTEST>>>>Ron Artest>>>ron artest. :D

A

AriesMar27

Ultimately, it was one series. The lakers still made it to the finals and blew by the western conference, and that was without Bynum. The lakers don't have to do anything and that's why they're not going to overpay for any player.
have you seen their roster?

walton/vlad/odom/ariza/sasha

thats 5 players that can or do play sf.... and kobe plays it to sometimes in their smaller lineups.... a third of their roster is at one position. and they are all overpaid except arixa and sasha because they are on rookie contracts... if the keep sasha he will be overpaid too... once bynum is resigned their starting lineup would have them over the cap by themselves... they overpay for the sake of overpaying... have you seen waltons contract? sasha will probably end up with a similar contract...

have you seen their roster?

walton/vlad/odom/ariza/sasha

thats 5 players that can or do play sf.... and kobe plays it to sometimes in their smaller lineups.... a third of their roster is at one position. and they are all overpaid except arixa and sasha because they are on rookie contracts... if the keep sasha he will be overpaid too... once bynum is resigned their starting lineup would have them over the cap by themselves... they overpay for the sake of overpaying... have you seen waltons contract? sasha will probably end up with a similar contract...
I meant overpay in terms of talent in a trade, not money.

This trade is HORRIBLE.

Why do we want to give the Lakers exactly what they need for an overrated role player???

Odom is good, but he is not going to lead us anywhere.

I like dumping KT, but I don't see this offer as very appealing. We need young players (i.e. Kleiza) with star potential and extra mid to high draft picks, not a near 30 year with a lot of miles on him.

you didn't read brick's posts? he listed numerous great reasons why this would be a great trade. some of the reasons better than those listed by paid writers at bspn.

Ron's a damn expiring too, if we want to get something for an expiring THIS season, just package Mikki/Ron and that's the sum of Odom's deal and that package is INFINITLY more valuable that Odom alone.
so your suggesting that we keep KT for another year if we could move him earlier?

smills,

if your a gm of another team.. what looks more enticing unstable ron, his expiring & KT contract or odom and his expiring?

Bull Sh** Brick. And you know it. Ron hasn't down more than raised eyebrows here. Let the past be in the past.
Slapping your wife and getting arrested does more than "raise eyebrows." I won't even bring up all the other stuff. Your other arguments are overshadowed by your repeatedly ridiculous statements in regards to Artest's behavior.

So, which is it? Are you pretending that event didn't happen, or do you think that slapping your wife isn't that big a deal?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Where as Portland, an up and coming team has a player named Oden. I think its appropiate that we try and keep up with them as best as possible by trading for a player named Odom. And may the best Oden, Odom win.
I need a drink...

Oh, and by the way, I'm with Bricky on this one. ARTEST does look better in caps though. Its all about image you know...

My ideal would definitely be to parlay Odom into some prospects/draft picks (like, say, a deadline deal for a contract expiring in 2010, a pick, and a good young prospect), but you know how this organization is about making the playoffs. If we were to do an offseason deal for Odom it would probably put the Kings in contention for a playoff spot, and then of course the organization wouldn't want to take another step back by trading him for more inexperienced youth.

Not sure it would be the worst thing in the world to get back into the playoffs next year and keep retooling for 2010 (the difference between an 8th seed and a late lotto pick really isn't that big). Worst case scenario Odom's salary expires and we get the cap space.

But we all know how this organization operates, and winning however many games possible comes before making the correct rebuilding move.
If we're aiming for 2010, it would make sense to keep Kenny's contract around. As it stands right now, we have about $23 million in expirings for that offseason. Maybe a Ron/Salmons package, since Salmons goes past 2010, and we can get even more value from the Lakers.

Ron/Salmons
for
Odom/Turiaf/Farmar

That's a deal I can get behind.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Sam Amick was on the Rise Guys this morning saying this trade was definitely discussed at some levels and may still fly. FYI.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
In my "musings" I spoke up about this trade but thought a better one might be RonRon + SAR + 1st rounder for Shawn Marion on the Heat. Marion can be the real "Star" in sactown and his 20/10 ability would be great at the 3 spot.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
In my "musings" I spoke up about this trade but thought a better one might be RonRon + SAR + 1st rounder for Shawn Marion on the Heat. Marion can be the real "Star" in sactown and his 20/10 ability would be great at the 3 spot.

That is so far from a better deal its not even funny.

Marion is strictly supporting cast. Only there is nobody to support here. And giving up a #1 as well?

Besides which Pat Riley has shown no interest in Ron Artest whatsoever (somewhat of a surprise to me), and I doubt he would wiollingly inflict him on a rookie coach this year.

I would do that trade actually. The thought of making the Lakers better is sickening, but getting a very solid 3 with an expiring deal, a PF who can play 10-15 effective minutes and a PG who has improved every year isn't such a bad thing. I think Salmons would probably not pull the same pouting act about not starting with Philip as coach and Kobe as the lead dog of that team. Ron would make the starting lineup a monster and John can ball when he is motivated and pushed.

Odom does give us a more versatile player on the offensive end, a better rebounder and a guy who has a lot to prove contract wise. Lamar isn't a model citizen either, but since we all know Ron needs to go, why the heck not. Not getting rid of KT is disappointing, but since that probably won't happen, so be it.

I like the Marion idea much better though. He would look superb in a Kings uniform!

Entity

Hall of Famer
In defense of Ron Artest and the trade deadline deal we got offered. Ron was a player with an option at the end of the season. Who would give somebody any kind of talent knowing that it could all be for nothing in just 3 months. That is very real. What isn't real is using that to meet an agenda saying nobody wants Ron that his only trade value was the offer at the deadline. That is a very simple minded way to look at it.

Amick says the Lakers are willing to offer Odom for Artest, but not sure if they'd take back KT:

I've been told by numerous reliable people that [an Artest trade] could happen quickly and that the Kings have already received calls from some of the expected pursuers of the small forward. The Lakers rang with no call back as yet from the Kings, and it appears the pieces in that possible deal have not changed. The Lakers are willing to offer forward Lamar Odom, but the question is whether they're willing to take on the contract of forward Kenny Thomas (two seasons, approximately $18 million left).
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/013759.html

Amick says the Lakers are willing to offer Odom for Artest, but not sure if they'd take back KT:

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/013759.html
They are going to lose Turiaf as the Warriors offered him about 4.5 mill a year.....they were already over the projected lux tax for next year so in essence they would be paying Turiaf 9 mill a year. :eek:

If they do this trade and take on KT it adds just under 2 million in salary for next year so it does save them some money(as opposed to matching Turiafs' offer) but my guess is that they wouldn't feel that Artest would be worth it.

CruzDude

Odom for Artest and KT makes sense for Kings but this deal would make the Lakers WAY better and for a few years down the road. But if the Lakers take KT in the deal, the salaries work spot on.l Odom plays the 4 now but why not the 3 for the Kings? He would be the ideal complement for rebounding yet he can run as a point-forward. But dealing with Lakers is sour grapes for me and most of the KingsFans. Is Odom worth that?

Marion for Artest and SAR would make sense both ways but why Riley is not a RonRon fan mystifies me as RonRon is a Riley type player: hard nose, major defender, really good shooter from anywhere and can get to the basket anytime (whether he can score or not when double/triple teamed we don't want to discuss) and can run the floor. SAR would be benefit at the Heat off the bench playing the 4 and 5. Marion I see as being the star he wants to be on the Kings. Major scoring and rebounding as a natural 3, runs like a deer, has decent defense (at best) and finishes really well. Salaries match but a #1 might have to go down to sweeten the deal. AND it would be a 2 for 1, opening up another slot for the Kings.

CruzDude

My guess is that if there's haggling going on, Lakers want Mikki Moore, Kings want it to be KT.
Mikki's contract runs another 3 years tho'. But sending down 2 starters for 1 starter means Odom plays the 4 for the Kings for now with Salmons starting at the 3. This makes sense as Jason will need a year to get into NBA playing shape and would become a backup pretty quick.

Who then, other than Cisco, backs up the 2-3? We have no clue if Ewing will even make the team much less be a capable backup for the 2-3 and Douby is on the bubble and diamonds-in-the--rough from summer league are few and far between. Plus many of the decent FA SF's the Kings may not be able to afford.

Maybe Odom + a 1st rounder helps even tho' its likely to be in the 25-29 range.

Mikki's contract runs another 3 years tho'. But sending down 2 starters for 1 starter means Odom plays the 4 for the Kings for now with Salmons starting at the 3. This makes sense as Jason will need a year to get into NBA playing shape and would become a backup pretty quick.

Who then, other than Cisco, backs up the 2-3? We have no clue if Ewing will even make the team much less be a capable backup for the 2-3 and Douby is on the bubble and diamonds-in-the--rough from summer league are few and far between. Plus many of the decent FA SF's the Kings may not be able to afford.

Maybe Odom + a 1st rounder helps even tho' its likely to be in the 25-29 range.
I don't think the Lakers are so desperate for Artest that they would take Kenny Thomas's toxic contract along with him. Don't forget, as we can all attest to, Artest is baggage enough already for any team.

I think we're in the drivers' seat in this deal, however, because it appears to me that the Lakers are trying to egg the trade on. We can have demands, as CruzDude said with that 1st rounder, but as noted before the Lakers may want a guy like Mikki Moore to replace Turiaf--I don't think they'd want Shelden Williams, the guy has little value.

I have been talking about this trade for months. I love it. Its a HUGE expiring deal and as the great brick said, dangling Odom to a contender for picks, kids, cash, cheap vets, etc at the deadline. We need to get over the rivalry... I heard on sports center a few weeks ago: It is only a rivalry if both teams trade wins... we never one, so its a fued. It hurts guys, but the lakers don't care, and we need to get over it (even thou we all know we won in 2002).

My guess is that if there's haggling going on, Lakers want Mikki Moore, Kings want it to be KT.
Hell give them both, and we can get Bynum. :D The thing is, I dont think it can be Mikki Moore. Salaries just barely miss the 125% difference if I did my math correctly, so we'd have to throw in Douby or Shelden, and even so you give up too much talent for Lamar, even if it is useless talent. So it would have to be KT unless they wanted to ship a 1st rounder our way for Ron, Mikki, and player to be named later.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
As I've stated before. If they'll take K. Thomas as part of the deal, then do the deal. I don't care who were trading with. If you take care of you own business properly the rest will take care of itself.

Besides, they've only got him for one year, unless their crazy enough to give him a long term contract. I couldn't wish that on a nicer team.