Beno agrees to terms with Kings

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I agree you don't need stars at every position but you do need them at some and we don't have them nor are we necessarily compiling the cap space/picks/young talent to acquire or develop them. I think Beno's a nice player and on the right team, a good fit. But he's not a great backup, especially at that price, and we don't have stars to surround him with. Now if we start to make moves that change that, great. But when, and how?

And my issue with the cap space is that if we truly believe that we are going to make a big splash in free agency in 2010 (which I don't think is a guarantee), why keep signing mi-level guys. Honestly, take off Salmons, Reef, Moore and Udrih and you are $20+ million lower now. Are we that worse a team? Not when you consider who we could use that money on or the better draft picks we would have used. Its all irrelevant at this point, unless the team doesn't learn and keeps making the same mistakes.
I think you forgot K. Thomas. Ha Ha, its easy to forget him since he doesn't play. I think management would be real happy to unload at least K. Thomas's and SAR's contract, which will both come of the books after that season along with Millers 12 mil contract and Moore's 6 mil contract. Hey, I'm not saying we can't screw it up, but we would have to work at it pretty hard.

Fact #1: With 22 wins, we have great chance at Derrick Rose or Michael Beasly.

Let me guess, you aren't a teacher.
Actually 22 wins got either Kevin Love or OJ Mayo. 33 wins got Rose. When was the last time being the worst team got you the best player in the lottery? It seems like more often than not some team jumps into the #1 spot. So what do you do when you pick a year to tank and you get to choose between a 6-7 too slow PF and a SG that may or may not be a decent PG?

2004:

1. Dwight Howard
2. Okafor
3. Ben Gordon
4. Livingston
5. Devin Harris
6. Childress
7. Deng
8. Araujo
9. Iggy
10. Luke Jackson

So, these top 10 picks are supposed to be star-level talent that might end up franchise players who help make a team a contender. So how have these teams done with that?

I'd say the Magic got a great player, but still 4 years later with a team with decent talent, they haven't gotten past the first round.

The bulls went on a run two years ago and swept the Heat in the first round, but didn't go anywhere. Ben and Deng got caught up in how good they thought they were, turned down 50 mil deals, and now that team is a mess. 4 years later, they are still hoping their lottery pick might change things.

The sixers got Iggy, and improved lately, but are they on their way to contending?

1. Bogut
2. Marvin Williams
3. Deron Williams
4. Chris Paul
5. Felton
6. Webster
7. Charlie V
8. Frye
9. Diogu
10. Bynum

Seems as if there are only two franchise players, possibly 3 if Bynum turns out like LA fans think he will. He's still got to develop and stay healthy, and nothing is proven for him at this point. The other 7 players are role players who haven't turned around a franchise.

The Hornets are almost at a contending level, but need a bench, as they had one of the worst in the game. They overpaid some guys to get talent, and still need more work with little money to work with to get to the next level.

Utah got Deron, but they still aren't serious contenders. They were one of the worst road teams in the game, and had some inconsistent play that hurt them. They made the WCF two seasons ago, but they still need more work.

2006:

1. Bargnani
2. Aldridge
3. Morrison
4. Tyrus Thomas
5. Sheldon Williams
6. Brandon Roy
7. Foye
8. Rudy Gay
9. Patrick O'Bryant
10. Sene

Ok, we have possibly two franchise players who aren't at that level yet. Brandon Roy is the closest to that level, and will lead the Blazers with some other pieces for the foreseeable future. Rudy Gay might turn out to be that franchise guy, but he isn't there yet.

Aldridge is a nice piece, and might turn into an all-star if things pan out, but not a guy who can change a franchise.

Some people in this thread really slammed Geoff for that Beno deal that will keep the Kings from getting a top 5 pick. Some would rather lose so they can get a top 5 lottery pick for the supposed "future" of the franchise.

Do you see, in the recent draft classes, a lock for a franchise player in the top 10? Top 5? I counted 3 franchise players in the top 5, and possibly 3 more in the 5-10 range. That's 6 (best case) in 30 picks during 3 drafts.

Do you think that if the Kings lose and get a top 5 pick that it will turn into the future? Let's say they do. Let's say they didn't sign Beno, dump some contracts, and lose 50-60 games for two more seasons, and in 2010 the Kings get a top 3 pick and draft a very good player, but he won't develop into that franchise changer for another few seasons. That means by the time you get your franchise level player, there goes 5 losing seasons, and that's best case scenario. Worst case, they pick a guy who doesn't pan out, and they can't sign big free agents who don't want to come back, and we are back to early 90's sacramento basketball.

It's very rare that a team grabs a superstar in the draft. Just look at teams like Hawks who have had the most lottery picks and haven't been relevant for years.

Last edited:

Entity

Hall of Famer
Showtime have you been reading my mind? you like me are not sold on the fact that a top 10 pick is instant fanchise player. some are gauking over guys that just graduated high school. Shawn Bradley dominated high school as well.

Showtime have you been reading my mind? you like me are not sold on the fact that a top 10 pick is instant fanchise player. some are gauking over guys that just graduated high school. Shawn Bradley dominated high school as well.

I don't think anyone is claiming that all top ten guys are franchise players. I just think you have a better chance of finding a future stud in the early lottery than you do in the mid-first or through MLE's. If nothing else, they give you young talent and trade bargaining power. We instead have ended up with a team full of guys just not good enough, or just too expensive or too old.

Bottom line, I just can't think of a contender that rebuilt the way we appear to be trying to. Doesn't mean its impossible, just less likely.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This thread has now been edited for redeeming value. ;)

Keep it on topic, folks. The perceived slights, sniping, etc. just get in the way of a good discussion.

Thanks.

Entity

Hall of Famer
uhm attainable means we are able to get them. Like Chris Paul, Steve Nash, Tony Parker, Deron Williams, are pretty much unattainale. Effor/Sacrifice? Are in inclining Beno lacks effort and what eactly do you want him to sacrifice.

Or is this just a way to not have to answer the question at hand kinda like Bill Clinton wanting a definition of sex.

name me one attainable pg right now in the NBA that is a viable option for us that is better than Beno.
That's not the point to some. Some would rather they start Singletary or another cheaper, short term vet to start and lost games to get a high lottery pick on the slim chance they land a franchise guy. It's not always about get a decent player, because decent won't get a top 5 pick.

IMO, they have gotten pieces to rebuild, they just need more time to get rid of the bad contracts that are still from the '05 decision to rebuild. They have nice young pieces that may turn out to be stars if they develop.

I agree with Hollinger. We could've easily gotten by with someone like Anthony Johnson, what would be the big deal? Many rebuilding teams get by with vet stop gaps like that. Why are we acting like we are actually contending for something?

Are you kidding me?? Anthiny Johnson SUCKS at this point in his career.... hell, at his best he never played like Beno did last year. Beno stepped in and showed he isnt afraid to take charge.

I for one am damn happy he is staying.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
That's not the point to some. Some would rather they start Singletary or another cheaper, short term vet to start and lost games to get a high lottery pick on the slim chance they land a franchise guy. It's not always about get a decent player, because decent won't get a top 5 pick.

IMO, they have gotten pieces to rebuild, they just need more time to get rid of the bad contracts that are still from the '05 decision to rebuild. They have nice young pieces that may turn out to be stars if they develop.
I don't think signing Beno was a bad move on principle, but I think we definitely overpaid to get him. For example, the Clippers just got Baron Davis for roughly twice what we just paid for Beno Udrih. I would have rather seen Petrie offer Beno a two year deal to see if he genuinely is a starting PG before committing a full five years to him and cutting into the 2010 plans. And if Udrih doesn't work out, try to target some of the redundant young PGs in Memphis or Portland or Seattle with a trade.

It's not Beno personally that I object too, I think he showed enough potential last year to optimistically hope he can develop into a legitimate starting PG. But honestly, Beno is at best going to be middle of the pack at his position and by signing him immediately instead of waiting for the Davis deal to go down and gaging his fair market value or finding out what other deals may be on the table we're limiting our ability to grow and get better as a team.

Another example, we had the #12 pick on draft day and Portland traded their #13 pick for Jarryd Bayless. I'm not a Bayless fan personally, but why couldn't we have come up with a deal using our #12 pick to get him? Other teams are being proactive and we're making very very conservative moves. Meanwhile we've dropped from being #1 in the west to one of the worst teams in the west in just a few seasons. It's tough to imagine this team ever getting significantly better under this present strategy.

you like me are not sold on the fact that a top 10 pick is instant fanchise player.
Nobody has ever been sold on he idea that all top 10 picks = franchise players, so every poster here is going to agree to that.

However, looking over the lists for the last 30 years, I don't notice a single championship team that didn't have a top 5 pick on their roster. Do you know of one that I overlooked?

Are you kidding me?? Anthiny Johnson SUCKS at this point in his career.... hell, at his best he never played like Beno did last year. Beno stepped in and showed he isnt afraid to take charge.

I for one am damn happy he is staying.
Well, I said somebody like Anthony Johnson so it wasn't just limited to him, but point taken. My point was that it wasn't imperative we need Beno's skill level, we need to just hold the fort until we can come across a PG of the future, rather than just spending the full MLE on a guy who has really only had one good year and has been injury prone. It's not a safe bet for a rebuilding team that doesn't need mid level starters, we're not contending for anything right now; we're better off sitting at the bottom of the barrel with a mediocre starting PG than hovering around the late lottery with a mid level PG. You can say he'll be a quality back up, but he's never really succeeded in that role and we need to get a starting core built before we start tossing MLE's away on bench players.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Beno averaged 14.4pts (.474 FG% .404 3pt% .861 FT%) 3.5reb 5.0ast 0.9stl 0.1blk as a starter.

14.4 pts is 11th in scoring amongst pgs and mind you get got that behind 2 guys that averaged 20 pts and being the 4th scoring option.

5 ast is 20th in ast amongst pgs. This on a team that runs through the Center half the time and has Ron Artest. LOL

3.5 reb is 7th in reb amonst pgs. not much to say there other than pgs suck at rebounding lol

47% fg is 7th as well

40% 3pt is 9th

and 12th in FT%

Mind you I included all players that played the pg postion not just the qualified leaders.
So I got guys that only played 9, 12, 11, 15 games in front of Beno is some categories.

now the point What more could we as for in a pg or future pg. it was also the first year he ever started.

Beno averaged 14.4pts (.474 FG% .404 3pt% .861 FT%) 3.5reb 5.0ast 0.9stl 0.1blk as a starter.

14.4 pts is 11th in scoring amongst pgs and mind you get got that behind 2 guys that averaged 20 pts and being the 4th scoring option.

5 ast is 20th in ast amongst pgs. This on a team that runs through the Center half the time and has Ron Artest. LOL

3.5 reb is 7th in reb amonst pgs. not much to say there other than pgs suck at rebounding lol

47% fg is 7th as well

40% 3pt is 9th

and 12th in FT%

Mind you I included all players that played the pg postion not just the qualified leaders.
So I got guys that only played 9, 12, 11, 15 games in front of Beno is some categories.

now the point What more could we as for in a pg or future pg. it was also the first year he ever started.
Consistency would be nice from a guy you just dropped 30 mil on. I'm never a big fan of rewarding guys who have some exprience who go nuts for one year. See Mikki Moore.

I agree with CruzDude. Not that he is a Tony Parker or Steve Nash, but that he's young, a lot of upside, has shown something good in his first year starting, and has good size with a defensive mind for the game.

Injury prone, but it's hard to really say if it will be an every year type of thing. Again, it's his first year getting a lot of time. I am not even going to judge him until he has the reigns all to himself for a year (w/o the worry of someone coming back from injury and taking his starting job).

As for Tony Parker or Steve Nash I don't see the similarities. He's better defensively than Nash if that's any consolation. Who knows what will happen. I just wouldn't judge him by his assist numbers since we all know what type of offense the Kings play.

Nobody has ever been sold on he idea that all top 10 picks = franchise players, so every poster here is going to agree to that.
Absolutely correct. Just because a top-5 pick doesn't guarantee a superstar doesn't mean that it isn't your best chance at a superstar.

It has been statistically proven time and time again that the best chance of finding a superstar is by getting a top-5 pick in the draft, because that is where the vast majority are found. You can still make a horrible decision and pick a bust in the top-5, but that can happen at any spot in the draft.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Jrue Holiday, Ricky Rubio, Tyreke Evans, Brandon Jennings.... A few others, but you get the point.
No I don't get the point. They are better because they do good against other 17 year olds that can't stay out past 10. Come on gimme a break. Have some bases behind the players you mention other than 17pts 8ast and 5reb in HIGH SCHOOL.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Consistency would be nice from a guy you just dropped 30 mil on. I'm never a big fan of rewarding guys who have some exprience who go nuts for one year. See Mikki Moore.
Difference is Beno has only started for 1 year. It was his 4th year an only year her averaged over 14 min a game. Also in defense of Mikki although I want him gone he did put up the same numbers he did in NJ so I guess we got the best of Mikki, sad but true.

No I don't get the point. They are better because they do good against other 17 year olds that can't stay out past 10. Come on gimme a break. Have some bases behind the players you mention other than 17pts 8ast and 5reb in HIGH SCHOOL.
Come on.... So by your estimation that question you asked cannot be answered because nobody in the world under 18 is better then Beno. Or nobody that's 18 that has not played an NBA game is better than Beno... Don't ask the question if you don't want a frank answer.

Rubio, and Holiday are about as sure of a thing as Derrick Rose (if not AS sure of a thing).. Don't tell me you would rather have Beno then Rose. That's just dumb. Watch some college ball this year and you will see Jrue Holiday (UCLA) play some point although he will probably take Westbrook's spot because of Collison going back to play PG. Catch some INTL games and watch Rubio. A lot of his games have feeds to them you can watch online.

I like Beno, but he's not the end all of PGs. There are limits to what he can do/accomplish. There will be PGs coming out in each years draft that will be better than him. It's true.

Last edited:

47% fg is 7th as well

40% 3pt is 9th

and 12th in FT%

Where did those rankings come from?

I was looking at ESPN...
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/stati...pg&qual=false&season=2008&seasontype=2&pos=pg
...and it put him at:
#30 PG for assists
#74 PG for assist/TO ratio
#57 PG for assists per 48
#13 PG at rebounds/game
#25 PG at rebounds per 48
#17 PG at points per game
#14 PG at FG%
etc.

Generally very different figures than what you gave.

Did you use sports.yahoo.com or someplace like that?

Entity

Hall of Famer
I used his starting stats. in regaurds to Gary it was a hypothetical question out of frustration when somebody else woulnd't answer to question as to who in the NBA is better that is attainable.

Even though I'm tired of the MLE moves, I don't mind this move at all because a PG can have such an affect of the development of our other young guys which is what we do need.

Putting Douby or Singletary or Cisco or Anthony Williams or Jason Williams at the point I think it would be a disaster for the development of Hawes and Thompson as well as allowing teams to focus in more on Martin which will be frustrating for his development.

At least this has a chance of being a 5 year solution for us. The Moore and SAR signings were set to end weakly from the start.

Biggest risk here is that Beno gets the injury bug and actually can't start. Other than that I think it will be a fair value to good value contract.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Basically what I am trying to say is Beno is worth the money. He isn't Chris Paul but he isn't Luke Rindour. he isn't an all-star but he isn't liability. He is a solid pg that done well for us given the circumstance he had last season and still has potential to be better than what we saw last year.

Nobody in the NBA that's a FA (obtainable) is better than Beno. I like Beno... But my only issue is the five years, because we can look at next years draft and see a lot of PG prospects that look to come out.. A few of them are amazing talents. Especially Rubio.
+1

beno did a great job last season, and is probably one of the best FA pg this offseason. i dont doubt his talent, just what we paid. 5 year/32 mil with a players option? i know all the details arent confirmed but i dont like that at all. some might say hes worth it, and they have the right to their opinion. but how much of that is based on whos available now? what about the next draft or next offseason? what if the FA pool next year is a little deeper, will we look back and regret maxing out the MLE on the biggest pg in a small pool of FA pgs.

i really think beno is a decent pg, but would have liked to get him a bit cheaper and maybe a shorter contract. clips werent after him anymore since they got davis and even if we did lose out on him. i would have settle with duhon who reportedly is targeted by the knicks offering a 2 year contract for half the MLE

Fact #1: He saved our season. Without Beno, we win 22 games.

Fact #2: Beno has a really good set of skills that is not measured solely in stats, or where he was drafted, or the fact he was with a team that did not allow him to display his skills, or the fact the Timberwolves and McHale were too stupid to keep him. Ask the T'Wolves if they would waive him if they had a choice to make the same decision again. How can you logically use this as a means to assess his value as a player?

Fact #3: He drives hard to the hoop, finishes strong, and draws fouls; he has a great mid-range game which is rare for a point guard; his 3 point shot became more consistent as the season wore on, he's a clutch performer, good work ethic, gets along with teammates, underrated defensivley. It is really important to note he can be an effective performer without making his outside shot (unlike Kirk Heinreich, Quincy Douby, for example, who are useless when their jump shot is off).

Geoff Petrie is astute enough of a GM to recognize facts #1, #2, and #3. Thus, contract given, contract received.

Class dismissed.

it depends on how you see the season saved. he racked up wins for us but that lowered our lottery pick. i'd rather see us rack up as many losses in last years meaningless season. thats 2 years in a row we aren't rolling the dice to get a high draft pick. season one's prize is oden, durant. season 2 rose and beasely. i would feel alot more comfortable if the kings displayed some type of direction of where they are going with the team. the beno signing wasn't too bad. we need a floor general that can actually get the team into sets or we'll be watching alot of one on one basketball.