Shaun Livingston (merged)

I have not gone to any websites to verify this, but I was watching NBA TV and across the bottom I saw a report claiming that the LA Clippers have decided to not pick up the option on Livingston's contract, making him an unrestricted free agent. You've got to feel for this guy. So young with so much promise and potential, only to have it ruined by an injury. Do you think any teams will sign him or invite him to training camp? If I am correct, he shoud be ready to play this year after recovering from his knee injury.

It must be devastating for him. I really do hope some team gives him a chance and he gets his career back on track. He's a talent, and to have that taken away through injury is heartbreaking.

I doubt it would be very popular amongst the fans and organization because of how serious his injury was, but I wonder if the Kings would consider inviting him to camp to give him a trial. We need another point guard and inviting him to camp to see where his ability is wouldn't really hurt, in my opinion.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Unfortunately, the NBA is a business and Shaun Livingston just isn't a good business risk, IMHO. I feel very sorry for him - and still get sick to my stomach when I think about his injury - but it's not about giving him special consideration because of how good he might have been before the injury. That ship sailed... and I suspect his NBA career has, too.

Man, watching that injury on YouTube again. Wow. Even with the yell edited out its horrendous to this day.

Saddest part is, he just got cleared to play 10 days ago after almost 18 months of recovery and now hes cut.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If they cut him after all this time, you almost have to believe it's because they couldn't see ANY reason to keep him.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
If they cut him after all this time, you almost have to believe it's because they couldn't see ANY reason to keep him.
I see it as more of the Clips seeing 5 million for a total unknown as to much of a risk.

Given his once promising potential, I wouldnt mind at least taking a look.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
There would be no real harm in taking a look with a non-guaranteed deal, but he may very well just be doen in the NBA sense. And given how incredibly injury prone he was in his short career, he's always going to be just one incident away from being done. Not sure he ever deserved the hype even pre-injury. Now? It would jsut be a flyer.

Shaun Livingston a UFA.

I think it is worth taking a flyer on him maybe a 3 MLE year deal with a team option in year 2 and 3.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...8_stephon_marbury_seems_unfit_for_knicks.html

Clippers guard Shaun Livingston is set to become an unrestricted free agent with the Clippers declining to tender him a qualifying offer, the New York Daily News is reporting.
Livingston is still rehabilitating from a devastating knee injury, and may be too much of a medical risk for a team that is hoping to add a starting-caliber point guard.

There is no way I'd feel comfortable signing him at this point. I'm not sure I have ever seen a knee injury as bad as his. But with that said, I wouldn't mind signing him to an unguaranteed contract and inviting him to camp. That way if he didn't look like he was going to be the same, then we wouldn't have any obligations to keeping him.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I like Shaun. I feel badly that he had such a horrible injury. I'm not keen on signing him though, unless there is some indication that he'll play ball again, much less at near the level he had before. I think it is too soon to take a risk unless it was a totally unguaranteed contract.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Nobody is going to MLE Shaun Livingston at this point. Frankly he never showed much of anything pre-injury. It was all hype because he was tall. And post injury -- an injury of that magnitude -- nobody is going to give him guaranteed money until he proves it on the court. Not even sure if his rehab will be done in time for him to be effective in a training camp, but if it is, that I could at least see -- somebody would/should invite him to see what he has left.

Look at this similar to the Jay Williams siutation a few years back.

His injury concerns stem from how incredibly skinny he is...he's just a twig. I know our own Kevin Martin came into the league approximately at his weight, 6'7" 175-180ish lbs., but at least he had the proper workout regiment to go above and beyond in succeeding in the NBA. Those injury problems coupled with what he's already shown in the NBA--an inability to have a go-to scoring asset that will unleash whatever "superb" passing skills scouts have raved about, as well as a relatively foul prone defensive style--really makes him a veteran minimum type probably at best. At this point he's living off the potential he's garnering when he was initially drafted, and almost everyone is going to look at his Clipper seasons as a failure; he'll get looks because of that, but he won't get the $$$ he wants.

A

AriesMar27

if its 2 yr vet min with team option for the 2nd year, then hell yeah.... anything more than that is too much...

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I agree with Bricky. If you want to invite him to camp with an unguaranteed contract, fine. See what he has, and even if you like what you see, I wouldn't offer him any more than the league minimum for one year and team options after that. Too big a risk at this point in time.

injury

That injury will likely take another year to fully see what you are getting and it sure won't be better than the original. I don't think we have the patience to wait him out. He was only making slow progress before the injury and now his NBA progress has stalled. Think Jason Williams, where is he now? Similar devastating injury.

if its 2 yr vet min with team option for the 2nd year, then hell yeah.... anything more than that is too much...
Even that is too much. Way too much. I truly don't believe you can come back from an injury that severe and be an effective athlete. I feel sorry for the guy, but this is the kind of contract that would make no sense whatsoever.