Jason Thompson

How do you grade the pick of Jason Thompson?

• Total voters

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
As good or better than Beasley - only time will tell.
That was about the 10th? game of his college career for Beasely, while thompson was a senior. That's the difference. A nice sign, but its kind of like putting me in a boxing ring against Mike Tyson when he was 12. I probably kick his ***. But if you pick me therefore as the better boxer you are nuts.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I took Dick Vitale's statement as a positive.
No. When Dicky V says, "all potential", he really means he's ALL potential - there's no there there. I also think Dicky V doesn't see the light at the end of the tunnel for the Kings for many year, hence his desire to help Reggie get a long term contract.:D

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Why was Thompson not there at the draft? Anyone know....was it because he didn't think he was going to be taken so high?
If you notice, a lot of the guys projected to go after about 12 aren't there. I guess they didn't want to be sitting in the green room and hearing everyone else's name called like what happened to poor Quinn Brady in the NFL draft last year.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Seems likely. There were rumors about us, maybe about Golden State, but generally he was projected in the 20s, not as a lottery guy.

yeah and Arthur and Greene are supposed to be gone by now as well. Thompson was projected in the top 15 in all the mocks that actually have knowledge.

piksi

Hall of Famer
He's mostly a PF, not a C. And Brad is much better than Mikki. And it also must be mentioned, since this is classic Geoff: Thompson's old for a modern rook. Means he's more likely to be ready now, and he only has to earn Mikki's minutes, or give us a reliable platoon there instead of either KT/SAR or even poor Shelden.
he already has a pulse, now if he catches a pass in practice - it is all his

Golden State was set to take Thompson at #14 it's said. They worked him out twice and like what they saw. The Kings were also at least one of those workouts in the Bay Area and obviously liked what they saw as well. So the W's end up with Anthony Randolph - at least we didn't.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I don't like hearing from Bayless that (1) the guy is not athletic, (2) he has a great motor, but then he didn't have a great motor in the MAC tourny(?), and then finally hearing that what did it for the Kings was (3) he was the best workout big man. His weakness? POST DEFENSE. It's going to be interesting to see if this guy is better than Robin Lopez in a few years.

interesting way to look at it ...trying to be positive (although im not half as negative as some people on here .. )

12. Sacramento Kings - Jason Thompson - F/Rider
13. Portland Trailblazers - Brandon Rush - G/Kansas
14. Golden State Warriors - Anthony Randolph - F/LSU
15. Phoenix Suns - Robin Lopez - C/Stanford
16. Philadelphia 76ers - Marreese Speights - F/Florida
17. Toronto Raptors - Roy Hibbert - C/Georgetown
18. Washington Wizards - JaVale McGee - F/Nevada
19. Cleveland Cavaliers - J.J. Hickson - F/NC State
20. Charlotte Bobcats - Alexis Ajinca - C/France
21. NJ Nets - Ryan Anderson - F/California
22. Orlando Magic - Courtney Lee - G/Western Kentucky
23. Utah Jazz - Kosta Koufos - C/Ohio State
24. Seattle Supersonics - Serge Ibaka - F/Congo

theres only maybe 2 players out of these that i could want over thompson .. randolph and speights, and it would be really close .. personally i wanted arthur then maybe jordan .. both are still undrafted for a reason and i believe if we didnt take thompson he'd be gone by now ..

Once again we waste our draft pick on someone unknown who will be out of the league or the 12th man on some team in 2-3 years, if not playing in Europe. I get so sick of this!!

what was pathetic was our previous front line...

Brad
Mikki/sar/kt

open lay ups any one? with thompson we negate that weakness of hawes which is not "strong" enough to guard the bigs.. his defense will only get better...

honestly if Shelden williams lives up to him being the 5th pick and JT improves steadily on defense we have a good shot blocking core in side... :p

JT is like an offensively polished Justin Williams :p

I like the pick. A big athletic big man that can score, rebound, and block shots. Hawes, Thompson Artest front line, not bad, and in the future Garcia possibly. I like it.

Yeah, because so many our picks are playing in Europe. :rolleyes:
I just meant I don't think he'll last in the NBA. We always pick slow big man with no athleticism. Remember Spencer Hawes. No worries, we will be back in the lottery next year with a much better chance at a high pick.

A year later and still a few people are ignorantly bashing Hawes.

I'm glad that this year people have been more measured in their reaction to the pick and seem willing to wait until they see the kid play before they come to conclusion about his impact.

I just meant I don't think he'll last in the NBA. We always pick slow big man with no athleticism. Remember Spencer Hawes. No worries, we will be back in the lottery next year with a much better chance at a high pick.
Have you ever seen the guy play? He is fast for a big man, and a better than average athlete. Seriously, are you trying to come out with the most random things possible?