How Should Kings Feel About Beno Udrih

How Should the Kings Organization View Beno Udrih

• Total voters
There has not been a lot said about Beno's future with the Kings. I called the Sunday night 1140 show asking about Beno and the host said he thought that Beno had a good season, but should be only looked at as a good third guard off of the bench. It left me wondering, how should the King organization view the future of Beno Udrich?

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'm not quite sure what the difference is between "Starting Point Guard For Now (2008-10)" and "Starting Point Guard Until a Franchise Point is Found". I suppose the latter implies (potentially) a longer tenure for Beno - but could also result in a shorter tenure if a franchise point is found before then. I chose "For Now" because I don't think we need a franchise PG to move on from Beno, just a better one - and it's not clear how Beno will perform in the long term.

My less-summarized feeling on Beno and the PG for the Kings: Try to resign him with the MLE this summer (3-4 years, not 5), and draft at least one PG, whether that be Westbrook/Augustin at #12 or Hudson/Gordon/?? at 42/43. Let Beno start and give significant minutes to our developing PG. Reassess at the end of the season, and if we don't have a sure-fire star in the making, don't be afraid to draft PG again in '09 (e.g. Jennings, Rubio, Holliday?) If Beno hasn't been pushed out of the starting spot by summer '10, start looking for big name FAs with our cap space.

Of course, Beno could surprise me and be the star we're looking for, but I doubt it. I expect adequate, but not coveted, performance from him over the next 3 years.

I picked "For Now" because I believe we take a PG in this draft if Augustin or Westbrook are available, and they could (and probably will) replace Beno in the starting lineup (if we even manage to re-sign him)

I'm not quite sure what the difference is between "Starting Point Guard For Now (2008-10)" and "Starting Point Guard Until a Franchise Point is Found". I suppose the latter implies (potentially) a longer tenure for Beno - but could also result in a shorter tenure if a franchise point is found before then.
That is exactly right. Being a starting point until a franchise point is found means that Beno will be your starter until he is pushed out by someone better, regardless if it is this upcoming season or two years from now.

My feeling is that unless your name is Derrick Rose, the Kings should not draft a point guard, and ride Udrich at least through this upcoming season.

Why would you not keep him? In the minutes hes been getting hes been able to change games (e.g Against the Spurs and the Bucks) . His averages will only go up...I mean he's young (only about 25) and is promising... why waste a draft choice on a PG when there are other areas which need more work (ie PF).

My feeling is that unless your name is Derrick Rose, the Kings should not draft a point guard, and ride Udrich at least through this upcoming season.
That assumes Beno chooses to re-sign with the Kings. Not a given. Even if he does, who is his legitimate back-up at the point? We ground Bibby down, by not having a good backup PG after Bobby J.

Everybody on the team is in wait and see mode. Until they find the cornerstone, the young players with potential to improve should be kept around to see how far they blossom. When that cornerstone arrives or emerges, then you see how well the other folks mesh with him.

That means Udrih sticks around until/unless we find a cornerstone that he doesn't fit well with (or until he can be used to bring in more/better talent). Even if a better point guard is found he would work well as a backup.

Why would you not keep him? In the minutes hes been getting hes been able to change games (e.g Against the Spurs and the Bucks) . His averages will only go up...I mean he's young (only about 25) and is promising... why waste a draft choice on a PG when there are other areas which need more work (ie PF).
Maybe because we have PF's under contract for next season. Are you calling Augustin or Westbrook a "waste"?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Hmm..I actually consider a numebr of those poll options pretty much the same. I went starting PG until a franchise PG is found (although a true franchise PG is pretty rare). But that's not too far of from starting PG 2008-2010 (hopefully) or even sign as backup + draft a PG...except that its unlikely a #12 pick PG would actually be able to unseat Beno next year.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Keep Beno for at least 2 years. Starter now and for..........?

At #12 we are not going to find a PG who would start anytime this year and maybe not next year. D.J. and Westbrook are both sophmores and don't even have much college experience for the toughest position in the NBA. Heck, Westbrook didn't even start at UCLA!! Westbrook has the upside I like but he will need most of 2 years to get into a leader role in the NBA. As a backup to Beno he might be very good the first year then we see.

Beno is a bigger version of Tony Parker, a slasher/scorer who can dish out and he IS quick and a lefty which is tougher to guard. He can run the break and appears to have what it takes to run the team once he gets a full pre-season under his belt. And he did understudy TP and the Spurs, a winning experience and he DOES have one ring!!

You mean Moore, Williams, and Thomas? Ignoring what a pathetic bunch they are; it's not about next year, it's about the future. Russell Westbrook is not a PG.
Yes. I realize they may suck, but they're better than who we have at PG, which is absolutely nobody....Doubys not a PG. And for the record, I'm not opposed to drafting a big man (still high on DeAndre Jordan, content with Speights, Greene or even Arthur), I just think we're gonna take a PG if one is on the board

If DJ Augustin's skills were rolled into Russell Westbrook's body, I'd definitely want him on the Kings--an athletic freak who could shoot the ball, act as lead playmaker, and defend well, with virtually no flaws. But as individuals, the 5'11" Augustin and the non-pure PG Westbrook--it's not exactly the cream of the crop for what we want in our PGs. I do like Westbrook purely on potential (a lot of the guys we drafted in the past few years had average potential and/or were accomplished college players) so I'd prefer him over Augustin, but I wouldn't be overly disappointed if we didn't get a PG, and choose to pursue one over the offseason.

As for the topic of Udrih, he was perceived as a guy who does a little bit of everything, but isn't particularly great at anything type of guy out of the draft, and so far he's for the most part reinforced that belief; gets 30+ minutes will produce along 12+ ppg, 4-5 apg and lots of steady, heady, solid, consistent play. You can do no wrong with a guy like Udrih, and for now he'd make a very solid stopgap PG, particularly considering his age (only 25ish).

I've mentioned this a couple of times, and we can go in two directions; if we do keep Udrih short-term, we definitely need a player who's a foil to Udrih off the bench (perhaps a run-and-gun, athletic PG--that's why Westbrook is intriguing). I'd hate to give away the idea that I'm souring on Douby, but he's a shooter through and through, and he's not exactly the backup PG option our team should have in mind. Another thing about Udrih is that this may unfortunately be at the peak of his trade value--he probably won't improve much from this current level of play, based on his gameface and his physical shortcomings--so a sign-and-trade could reap rewards, especially when paired in a package with Kenny Thomas, John Salmons, Ron Artest, Brad Miller and/or Shareef Abdur-Rahim, all viable trade options at this stage. Of course given Udrih's rapid improvement with us, I'd surmise it would be horrible to sign-and-trade him or straight up let him go, but he is what he is, and for the long term he's not the best option. When the time comes, there will be a good PG via free agency, or more likely a good PG via the draft, that we should leap upon to supplant Udrih.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The Beno situation just makes things very tough for us in the draft. If we draft a PG, then Beno maybe sees his job go away, sooner or later, and so he leaves and goes elsewhere. If you do not draft a PG you run the risk of losing Beno too and having nobody, and so all the bargaining power shifts to him. Just tough.

Yes. I realize they may suck, but they're better than who we have at PG, which is absolutely nobody....Doubys not a PG. And for the record, I'm not opposed to drafting a big man (still high on DeAndre Jordan, content with Speights, Greene or even Arthur), I just think we're gonna take a PG if one is on the board
Like I said, it's about the future. So as far as the future goes PG and PF are eqaully crappy.

The Beno situation just makes things very tough for us in the draft. If we draft a PG, then Beno maybe sees his job go away, sooner or later, and so he leaves and goes elsewhere. If you do not draft a PG you run the risk of losing Beno too and having nobody, and so all the bargaining power shifts to him. Just tough.
Well, we're just going to have to make due because we have to pick BPA.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
At #12 in the draft pecking order the Kings are not going to find a starter or potential "franchise" player for this year or next. The #10 and #12 draftees mentioned earlier all took a few years to blossom and since most draftees in the first 15 are freshmen or sophomores in college anyway, they will need 2-3 years to show how good they may be. Kevin showed glimpses early but really shined in his 3rd year and he was taken what, 23rd?

Spencer is one big piece of the rebuild puzzle behind Brad a really good mentor. Shelden at PF may be too, if he gets enough playing time and if he supports his original pre-draft writeups which were just shy of awesome. Mikki is ok as a serviceable PF until a younger guy pushes him to the bench. I think Mikki and Cisco off the bench could be an awesome combo!!

Beno we hardly know what he can do as a starter who had no training camp. What did he play, 27 games as starter after the Bibby trade? I think Beno is a keeper for sure. And the MLE is about where he belongs, even a bit high.

Kevin has the 2-spot, period. For now RonRon has the 3-spot. Salmons can fill in at either spot as can Cisco but we do need another scorer who can defend the 2-3 spot as well. Could that be Douby? I think Petrie thinks so but don't think Theus wants him.

So ideally, Kings get Beno, then need good defending backup PG, a Westbrook maybe, who is a few years away from starting on a good team but could be great backup. Then 1-2 BIGS who can rebound, clog the middle and get 8-10 any night is putbacks and second chance points.

Thats what I see on a Friday..........gads its 5 o'clock somewhere!! gotta go!! :D

I think Beno’s good for the team right now, give him a few years with this team and see where the team’s direction is headed (maybe he still fits the team or can be a really good back-up energy point). He reminds me of a Jason Williams situation, keep him till we can trade for another guy who can be a better piece for a ring (if our team is headed in that direction soon).

But I’d still like to draft a back-up point guard even if we do sign him. Three year deal is good enough for me, but not a long contract or a big one.

Retain for as cheap as possible for as long as possible, but keep your eyes open for better prospects.

Our goals for the next few years should be to keep salary down, play the lottery/draft, and fill in through free agency. Having competent players on payroll will also help facilitate trades.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I believe that we should do what we need to do to resign Beno. I don't think that he's worth the entire MLE, but, if thats what it takes, so be it. My question to all of you is, do any of you remember Steve Nash when he was 25 yrs old? Would you say he's the same player today that he was when he was 25?
Beno hasn't even played an entire season in the NBA. In the few games he played this year, I believe he showed potential, that dreaded word. None the less, there is no one in this draft, save Rose, that will come in and even be close to playing as well as Beno can play right now. So why not commit to him in the short term and see where it leads in the long term.

I've been watching games in the NBA for over 50 years. They don't give out degree's for that, and I expect none. I certainly made my share of mistakes over those years, when it comes to judging players. One thing I've learned, is to never judge the limitations of a player. They will constantly surprise you. I'm always amazed by people who see a very athletic young man and visualize a superstar based on his potential. Then they look at another young man, who's not that athletic, and immediately, draw limitations. Thank God players like Chris Mullins and Steve Nash, etc, didn't draw the same limitations for themselves. What matters is whats between their ears. And when a player is young, that truely is, a grey area...

I believe that we should do what we need to do to resign Beno. I don't think that he's worth the entire MLE, but, if thats what it takes, so be it. My question to all of you is, do any of you remember Steve Nash when he was 25 yrs old? Would you say he's the same player today that he was when he was 25?
Beno hasn't even played an entire season in the NBA. In the few games he played this year, I believe he showed potential, that dreaded word. None the less, there is no one in this draft, save Rose, that will come in and even be close to playing as well as Beno can play right now. So why not commit to him in the short term and see where it leads in the long term.

I've been watching games in the NBA for over 50 years. They don't give out degree's for that, and I expect none. I certainly made my share of mistakes over those years, when it comes to judging players. One thing I've learned, is to never judge the limitations of a player. They will constantly surprise you. I'm always amazed by people who see a very athletic young man and visualize a superstar based on his potential. Then they look at another young man, who's not that athletic, and immediately, draw limitations. Thank God players like Chris Mullins and Steve Nash, etc, didn't draw the same limitations for themselves. What matters is whats between their ears. And when a player is young, that truely is, a grey area...
my opinion....i totaly agree with this....nothing else to say

Russell Westbrook isn't a PG.
I think he'd make a fine point guard. When Collison was injured in the beginning of UCLA's '07 season, Westbrook stepped up and played excellently. He's got good size for a PG, runs well, and is a decent outside shooter. He also made good decisions distributing the ball.

Exactly right! smalls are far more numerous and easier to find than bigs. It is preferable to take the risk drafting a big, but if there is a cant miss player at the 1 spot....its tough to determine which route to go. In terms of Beno, we should keep him until we get someone better. For now, he is the best. I also would like to see him and douby split the pt at the 1. drafting a small would compound minutes for the worse. I think if we draft a big, he will either have "it" or won't and it should be clear from the get go. A point guard needs time to develop. Bottom line, we need talent.

I picked "For Now" because I believe we take a PG in this draft if Augustin or Westbrook are available, and they could (and probably will) replace Beno in the starting lineup (if we even manage to re-sign him)
Man, it would be hard to pass up Augustin if he is sitting there for the taking. That kid can shoot lights out from behind the arc. As much as we need a PG, I think we need a PF that much more. We can give Beno one more year, being how young he is and improving (hopefully). But the PF's are getting up there in age and still arent doing anything.