Kings Select in the 2008 NBA DRAFT??

Amen, the more I study Speights the more I wish him to be our pick. I'm all about the BPA first and need 2nd type of player, but this guy actually accomplishes BOTH IMO.

Speights' knock is his atrocious defense, but he's uber-atheltic and young so the defense may come in time as he learns it(and/or Ron goes after him if he doesn't! ;) ).

He's got a good post game and the ability to hit the outside shot consistently. So offensively he has what Geoff is looking for and he has the potential to be an all-star if he's able to improve his defense.

I really like this pick for the Kings because he gives us some young/athletic talent in our frontcourt. I don't view Augustin as any sort of answer long term at PG. In fact I think he tops out at Jameer Nelson level.

Westbrook would give me some reason to hesitate on Speights and I'd honestly be torn between the two. Either would be a good pick, but getting a 6'11 PF that's atheltic and a serious offensive threat while being a VERY good rebounder in college(I think he was like 3rd in the Nation amongst those who've declared for the draft).

I really like this pick for the Kings.

And with the 12th pick in the 2008 NBA draft the Sacramento Kings select:

MARREESE SPEIGHTS
Having seen both Speights and McGee play, all I can say is that if you don't like Speights defense, you'll hate McGee's. Lets face it. No player we draft at 12 is going to come into the NBA and light it up right away. Not unless we get very lucky.

If we can get a big that has a good skill level, and is athletic, all we can do at that point is hope we can mold him into the type of player we want by adding to his skill level.

Having seen both Speights and McGee play, all I can say is that if you don't like Speights defense, you'll hate McGee's. Lets face it. No player we draft at 12 is going to come into the NBA and light it up right away. Not unless we get very lucky.

If we can get a big that has a good skill level, and is athletic, all we can do at that point is hope we can mold him into the type of player we want by adding to his skill level.
I wouldn't say that just yet. Just look at how Stuckey is playing right now, and he was picked 15th. I really like that pick for Detroit, this guy's gonna be good.

From what I have been hearing the four most likely lottery picks to be traded are Memphis's #5, Portland's #13, Charlotte's #9, and Milwaukee's #7.

Maybe we can finagle one of these picks from one of those teams? How about Garcia, or Salmons and #12 for Milwaukee's #7?

What happens if Memphis is left with Bayless at #5? Think they would take our #12, and Miller for a bad contract and Bayless?

Charlotte needs a big, and from what I read the fans aren't really in love with Jordan. He looks like the only top ten talented big to be available at #9. What about Miller, and #12 for #9, and .............. Nevermind.. They don't have contracts to match unless they traded a core piece... ugh!!

What if we traded Salmons, Douby, and #12 for Frye, Pryzbilla, and #13?
What would be the point of that? That seems like trading just for the sake of trading. And we actually move down a spot in the draft

I don't know why people are so high on Speights without mentioning McGee. Speights hit the midrange in college, but he never once hit a college three. You telling me that he's all of a sudden going to start popping NBA threes? Workouts are one thing, game situation is another. Meanwhile, McGee really has knocked down threes and is better at putting the ball on the floor. His offense is already better.

Speights and McGee are somewhat similar players -- Speights is stronger and the better rebounder, McGee is quicker and taller and the better shotblocker. Call me crazy, I'd take the seven footer.

Ultimately I'd be fine with either (or Westbrook) because we need athletic bigs. But I also think McGee should be part of the conversation.
OK. I didn't want to, but your crazy. If I'm surprised at anything, its that McGee doesn't have more game than he does. With his mom being a pro player and all. McGee has a long way to go before he's NBA ready, and the best thing he could do is stay in college. Does he have potential? Yes. But at this point Speights is much more advanced. As far as Speights not hitting any three pointers. Thank God. Thats the last thing I want from my PF. I'm personally sick of watching 7 foot guys standing at the three pt line waiting for the ball.

What would be the point of that? That seems like trading just for the sake of trading. And we actually move down a spot in the draft

We get front court help, and only move down one spot. I think Frye could actually help our team. He didn't do so bad when starting although he was a bit inconsistent. Pryzbilla could be a defensive presence off the bench. Just was thinking.. #13 isn't really worse than the 12th when you think about who we might draft.

OK. I didn't want to, but your crazy. If I'm surprised at anything, its that McGee doesn't have more game than he does. With his mom being a pro player and all. McGee has a long way to go before he's NBA ready, and the best thing he could do is stay in college. Does he have potential? Yes. But at this point Speights is much more advanced. As far as Speights not hitting any three pointers. Thank God. Thats the last thing I want from my PF. I'm personally sick of watching 7 foot guys standing at the three pt line waiting for the ball.
Speights is much more advanced at what? They're both extremely raw players, and I think it's just as surprising that Speights wasn't better than he was this past season. He did ok because of his athleticism, but it's not like he's some sort of polished player. Speights and McGee are both raw athletic players who have somewhat different strengths and weaknesses. I don't think you could really say that one is vastly ahead of the other.

We get front court help, and only move down one spot. I think Frye could actually help our team. He didn't do so bad when starting although he was a bit inconsistent. Pryzbilla could be a defensive presence off the bench. Just was thinking.. #13 isn't really worse than the 12th when you think about who we might draft.
I guess. If we were to do this we'd have to unload some frontcourt players though. We'd have Frye, Pryzbilla, Miller, Moore, Hawes, SAR, Williams and KT playing 2 positions, and that's not including our draft pick (Arthur?). I just think it might reduce Hawes, and certainly Williams, minutes for next season.

Speights is much more advanced at what? They're both extremely raw players, and I think it's just as surprising that Speights wasn't better than he was this past season. He did ok because of his athleticism, but it's not like he's some sort of polished player. Speights and McGee are both raw athletic players who have somewhat different strengths and weaknesses. I don't think you could really say that one is vastly ahead of the other.
I will admit that I saw Speights play more than McGee, who I only saw twice. McGee looked to have no outside shot when I saw him play and his defense, putting aside an occasional block was not very good. He struck me as a player that got most of his offense from dunking the ball.

Speights showed me more of a low post game and has a very nice 12 to 15 foot jump shot. Defensively, he has a ways to go. He will look good one time and then very bad the next. It seemed to me to be more of a lack of effort than a lack of understanding.

So, as a result, my conclusion is that Speights is more advanced offensively and about equal defensively. McGee probably is a little more athletic and a little taller. So pick your poison.

One advantage Speights had was he came from a good school and in a big conference. Also remember, that Speights per 40 minutes numbers that were very good as a freshman actually went up in some catagory's and remained the same in others as a sophmore.

Thats why I said, " Unless you get lucky "....
Never saw that, sorry. But it seems like a team gets lucky every year in the middle of the first round. Look at the past 5 years:

2007: Stuckey (15)
2006: Rondo (21), Farmar (26)
2005: Granger (17)
2004:Jefferson (15), Smith (17), Martin (26)
2003: West (18), Diaw (21), Howard (29)

I'm optimistic we can find a player like any of the above with our pick in this draft

Never saw that, sorry. But it seems like a team gets lucky every year in the middle of the first round. Look at the past 5 years:

2007: Stuckey (15)
2006: Rondo (21), Farmar (26)
2005: Granger (17)
2004:Jefferson (15), Smith (17), Martin (26)
2003: West (18), Diaw (21), Howard (29)

I'm optimistic we can find a player like any of the above with our pick in this draft
This year, lets hope its us...

This year, lets hope its us...
With Petrie's track record I think it's likely. Martin, Cisco, Peja, Hedo, Wallace...those are all guys that were picked after 12 and all of them are STARTERS(minus Cisco who is a super sub guy) in the NBA. I have faith we'll get a VERY good STARTING caliber player for our future with the #12 pick.

gunks

Hall of Famer
True true,

I wonder if Petrie will come outta left field with some sleeper pick that nobody even had on the draft boards.

Those are always fun when they pan out.

True true,

I wonder if Petrie will come outta left field with some sleeper pick that nobody even had on the draft boards.

Those are always fun when they pan out.
To tell you the truth I don't think that's really possible anymore. Reason is that since the Peja pick there have been HUGE advances in the internet and amateurs being able to scout players. So I don't think he would take someone which isn't already listed on a draft www below.

I will admit that I saw Speights play more than McGee, who I only saw twice. McGee looked to have no outside shot when I saw him play and his defense, putting aside an occasional block was not very good. He struck me as a player that got most of his offense from dunking the ball.

Speights showed me more of a low post game and has a very nice 12 to 15 foot jump shot. Defensively, he has a ways to go. He will look good one time and then very bad the next. It seemed to me to be more of a lack of effort than a lack of understanding.

So, as a result, my conclusion is that Speights is more advanced offensively and about equal defensively. McGee probably is a little more athletic and a little taller. So pick your poison.

One advantage Speights had was he came from a good school and in a big conference. Also remember, that Speights per 40 minutes numbers that were very good as a freshman actually went up in some catagory's and remained the same in others as a sophmore.
When you look at players who are high on athleticism, lower on skill level, I want to pick the guy who works the hardest at getting better. If Speights doesn't put out the effort in college, I don't want him. You can't make a guy have desire...

When you look at players who are high on athleticism, lower on skill level, I want to pick the guy who works the hardest at getting better. If Speights doesn't put out the effort in college, I don't want him. You can't make a guy have desire...
I can't argue with your premise, but to be fair, the knock on Beasley coming out of highschool was that he seemed to lose intrest at times during games. Thats the trouble with drafting kids so young. Their not that mature, and in many cases haven't developed a work ethic. I would have hated anyone to pass judgement on me when I was only 19 years old, but thats what were doing.
I always remember the old Mark Twain quote. " When I was 13, I had the stupidest parents in the world, and I was amazed how much they learned by the time I reached 21."
If Speights or Jordan or any other similar player were seniors, I would be more suspect of their desire. But at 19, I think you have to take notice, but not condemm.

Russel Westbrook just has too much potential and too many tools too pass up on him(mostly his defence & Athleticism)... Im saying select him with # 12 and try and find a gem PF with our 2nd rounders(Jawai, Ibaka,)... and if we cant find that gem who cares we are still rebuilding we will have plenty of time to secure the PF position before we are going to be competeing again. We still have Mikki under contract for what another year or somethin? so thats fine for now plus I don't think Sheldon got a fair chance to prove himself.

We will be making a big mistake I think if we pass on Westbrook..

So yah ill join the draft Russel Westbrook bandwagon!

Russel Westbrook just has too much potential and too many tools too pass up on him(mostly his defence & Athleticism)... Im saying select him with # 12 and try and find a gem PF with our 2nd rounders(Jawai, Ibaka,)... and if we cant find that gem who cares we are still rebuilding we will have plenty of time to secure the PF position before we are going to be competeing again. We still have Mikki under contract for what another year or somethin? so thats fine for now plus I don't think Sheldon got a fair chance to prove himself.

Generally, I agree with your post. But if someone like Jordan slips to us, you have to scratch your head over who to pick...

Welcome aboard

If Jordan fell I would still be drafting Westbrook.
We have Hawes to develop next year plus time has to be given to Miller, Moore, Williams. So if we drafted a PF/C this year I can't see him getting as much grooming/playing time as drafting a PG would get.
Westbrook would have plenty of oppurtunties to prove himself this year. Jordan not so much.

Orlando camp.

Well, after watching two days of basketball games at the Orlando pre-draft camp I have some notes. Take them for what you paid for them..
Let me preface this by saying that every player I mention, for the most part will be a second round draft pick. There could be a couple of exceptions that could slip into the late first round.

Gary Forbes: Listed at 6'7", but the announcers implied that he was closer to 6"5". One of the most impressive players there. Very athletic player with a good outside shot. I was very impressed with his ability to create his own shot. His passing was so good that I could see him playing a little pt. He was also an excellent penetrater. Always seemed to be under control. He might have played his way into the first round.

Mike Taylor: In the draft from the developmental league. You could see his experience on the floor. Another excellent shooter from the outside. Never seemed to force anything. He let the game come to him. One of the key mistakes most of the players make here are trying too hard to impress the scouts. He played both the pt and the 2 and played both very well. I think he would have to find his niche at the pt. He made several eye opening passes. I would certainly use a 2nd round pick on him and if he's not drafted I would definitely invite him to camp.

Robert Vaden: I had never heard of this guy, but he is an outstanding, I'll say it again, outstanding shooter. He's listed at 6'5", so take that for what its worth. Appeared to be a decent athlete, and once again I was impressed with his ability to not force anything. He always seemed to take good shots, and he seldom missed. He hasn't signed with an agent yet, so its possible that if he doesn't get a promise with someone, he'll return to school.

Joe Crawford: 6'4" guard. Not quite as impressive as the previous playes that I mentioned, but he played very well in both games that I saw. Good athlete. Seemed under control most of the time. Forced a few shots and made a couple of highlite shots. You know the kind. If he makes them you go wow. If he misses them you go, what an idiot. I think he can be a player in this league.

Darnell Jackson: 6'9" PF. I thought he played very well. Nothing spectacular. He just did the little things he needed to do. I beleive he even hit a shot near the three pt line. He played very good defense and rebounded very well. He looks to me to have upside and could very well become a starter for some team in the future. Definitely worth a gamble in the second round.

Sasha Kaun: 6'11" C/PF. Boy its hard to critique this guy. He just doesn't look athletic, but he moves very well laterally and runs the floor well. He boxes out and rebounds very well. He has a couple of nifty moves in the low post that he scored with. He blocked at least one shot that I saw. Thats where it ends. He has no outside game that he showed, and once in the NBA, he might become the worst free throw shooter in the league. You watch him and you want to hate him. But he hustles so hard and does just enough of the other things that you just can't help liking him.

Sean Singletary: Pt guard. Played decently and is defintely one of the better defensive guard there. He along with Mike Taylor and Lawson were the most impressive defensive pt guards at the camp. Singletary didn't do anything to make me beleive that he was next big coming of a pt guard, but he did play within himself and under control for the most part. I thought it was interesting that when he and Taylor were on the floor at the same time Taylor did most of the work at the pt.

Richard Hendrix: 6'9" PF. Played OK. Nothing spectacular. Rebounded pretty well, but he had a very difficult time getting his shot off under the basket. To be honest, he reminds me of a slightly taller version of Corliss with less skill under the basket. A better rebounder than Corliss but not nearly as good offensively. At any rate, I think he'll struggle at the NBA level until he refines his low post game, or develops some sort of shot away from the basket.

James Gist: 6'8" SF/PF. He has sort of Marion type of body, or perhaps Travis Outlaw type of body. Doesn't play like Outlaw though. He didn't shoot from the outside much, but when he did he was pretty accurate. Very athletic player with serious hops. He was always around the basketball, and had a couple of weak side blocks to go with his 5 or 6 rebounds in about 20 minutes of playing time. He has areas that he needs to improve to play in the NBA, but I think some team will take a flyer on him in the second round.

Richard Roby: 6'4" guard. Very physcially strong player. Sort of Mitch Richmond build. He played very well the first day and just so so the second day. Good shooter and good penetrater. Good rebounder for a guard. Not afraid to stick his nose in with the big guys. Definitely an NBA player at some point.

Lester Hudson: 6'3" pt guard. I must say that he didn't look much taller than Lawson when they played against each other. If Lawson is a 10 then Hudson is about a 3. Lawson outplayed Hudson big time and totally shut down Hudson's offensive game. The next game Hudson played better. It helped not having Lawson guarding him. He still didn't blow my socks off. I would draft Mike Taylor over Hudson without even thinking about it.

DeVon Hardin: 6'11" PF. Damm it, the guy is just lost offensively and there's no excuse for it after four years of college. His outside shot is terrible and he missed most of his low post shots. To me, it just showed me he doesn't put in the time to improve his game. For a guy that almost freakishly athletic to be that bad, shows me lack of effort on his part. I would have serious reservations about drafting this guy anywhere but in the second round. I really question his work ethic.

DeVon Jefferson: SF/SG. Overweight and out of shape. Played a little better in the second game, but for a guy with his talent he needed to stand out. I think he seriously damaged his chances of being drafted in the first round.

Trent Plaisted: 6'11" C/PF. There's no denying that this guy is an athletic freak. He runs like a deer. Has great lateral movement. Has serious hops. The problem is he just doesn't seem to make a difference when he's on the floor.
He doesn't fight nearly hard enough for position in the low post, so he seldom gets the ball thrown to him. He seems to box out well for rebounds, but never seems to come down with any. He did hit a couple of outside shots, but far too often passed up the shot when it was there. He's a hard guy to make a judgement on. I'm sure someone will draft him, maybe even in the first round, just on potential alone. He's definitely worth a second round pick.

Thats it for now. I purposely didn't critique Lawson here because I did it in a previous post, and besides, I think most of us here know Lawsons game. My hands are cramping up so I think its adios time.

As an aside. In an interview with draftexpress the vice pres of player development for the Suns, who I think he said have the 45th pick in the second round,said, when asked who they might pick there. Offered that they would probably look for a big man there. He stated that in this draft with the depth at that position, drafting at 45 and picking the best of whats left of the bigs, you could be getting someone that will be better than a player considered the one of best of the best bigs. Interesting comment..

As an aside. In an interview with draftexpress the vice pres of player development for the Suns, who I think he said have the 45th pick in the second round,said, when asked who they might pick there. Offered that they would probably look for a big man there. He stated that in this draft with the depth at that position, drafting at 45 and picking the best of whats left of the bigs, you could be getting someone that will be better than a player considered the one of best of the best bigs. Interesting comment..
I am really high on Speights. But if Westbrook is there at 12 I think we HAVE to take him there, and look for one of the bigs at 42/43. And that is the reason why.