Kings Select in the 2008 NBA DRAFT??

I think that Indiana will finish 4-1, and the Kings will finish 1-4 which will put us in a tie for #11.

Sacramento Kings - at LAL (loss), SA (loss), NO (loss), POR (win), at GS (loss).

Indiana Pacers - ATL (win), at PHI (win '2-0 against PHI this year'), CHA (win), at WAS (loss? '2-1 against WAS this year'), NYK (win).

I have a feeling that Indiana might try to steal who we want like Chicago did last year (although it played out fine in the end).
That's possible but I kinda think ATL will beat Indy, same with Philly.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I haven't heard anything about Griffin yet. If he does declare, he's likely gone in the top 10 though. Which is still good in the sense that it pushes other people back, but I doubt we'll have a shot at drafting him.

What's Speights like? I haven't seen him play so only have the reports to go by. From what I've read, he doesn't seem good enough to go top 10. He could even slip to around 20? What sort of game has he?

As far as who'll likely be there at this point, I'm still for Arthur.

Arthur had a very good game and I think he's probably a late lottery pick. I'd have no problem if we draft him, provided Love and DJ Augustin are gone.

But I hate to be the spoiler... again :), but Arthur didn't guard Josey Dorsey, that was, again, Darnell Jackson's job to guard the other team's best big. Arthur guarded Dozier, a 215 pound beanpole that plays on the perimeter. But Dozier still had 10 rebounds (season average 6.8), including a key offensive rebound near the end of regulation off of a missed FT by simply overpowering Arthur. Memphis scored and if it weren't for Chalmer's shot, Arthur's inability to grab boards would have costed his team the final.

Arthur is not a good post defender, if he is, it wouldn't have been Darnell Jackson taking on the best big guys. In the NBA, he's going to get overpowered by almost every PF not named Hakim Warrick. I don't see him as a good fit for Hawes, Hawes needs a big who can grab 10+ boards and guard the other team's best post player; defensively, Arthur is basically a shorter Miki Moore with better shot blocking.

But at #12, I don't mind taking a chance on him. He's not the solution but he may be a key piece nonetheless.

Besides, if we can't have the NBA's best team, maybe we can have the NBA's most "Anorexic Team":

PG Douby
SG Martin
SF Garcia
PF Arthur
C Moore

Collectively, that lineup weights almost as much as Nicole Richie.

Last edited:
But I hate to be the spoiler... again :), but Arthur didn't guard Josey Dorsey, that was, again, Darnell Jackson's job to guard the other team's best big.
Offensively, Dorsey isn't Mems best big. He barely has any offense. Dozier is a much more difficult matchup. It's not even close.

Arthur guarded Dozier, a 215 pound beanpole that plays on the perimeter. But Dozier still had 10 rebounds (season average 6.8), including a key offensive rebound near the end of regulation off of a missed FT by simply overpowering Arthur. Memphis scored and if it weren't for Chalmer's shot, Arthur's inability to grab boards would have costed his team the final.
If you'd watched the replay of that rebound, that could have easily been called as an over the back. In fact had it been earlier in the game I'm 90% sure it would have been. Refs eat their whistles at the end of the game. Putting it simply down to Arthur is just ignorant. The college game is harder to rebound in as there's less shots and less minutes. With good coaching Arthur will be fine. He has the length and athleticism. You seem awfully biased against him. No matter what he's done you find ways to nitpick. We're picking at 12, no one is going to be the finished article. Arthur has the most potential out of anyone that will likely be there.

Arthur is not a good post defender, if he is, it wouldn't have been Darnell Jackson taking on the best big guys. In the NBA, he's going to get overpowered by almost every PF not named Hakim Warrick. I don't see him as a good fit for Hawes, Hawes needs a big who can grab 10+ boards and guard the other team's best post player; defensively, Arthur is basically a shorter Miki Moore with better shot blocking.
You a stat guy? If you'd watched him, you'd have seen he's a pretty damn good defender. Sure, he can get better, but he has quick feet and great length. He has good help side defense too. Also, did you see him helping on the pick'n'roll? He completely caused havoc one time, and almost caused a turnover by trapping. You dislike him. His defense is good, and could be great.

But at #12, I don't mind taking a chance on him. He's not the solution but he may be a key piece nonetheless.
Fair enough. I can live with him not being your no.1. BTW, sorry if I came across harsh above, not my intentions.

Besides, if we can't have the NBA's best team, maybe we can have the NBA's most "Anorexic Team":

PG Douby
SG Martin
SF Garcia
PF Arthur
C Moore

Collectively, that lineup weights almost as much as Nicole Richie.
Why not Hawes at C and Moore at PF? Arthur is far stronger than Hawes, Arthur actually has a pretty good body and strength. He's ripped. Still, your team certainly could challenge for all-lightest :D

What's Speights like? I haven't seen him play so only have the reports to go by. From what I've read, he doesn't seem good enough to go top 10. He could even slip to around 20? What sort of game has he?

As far as who'll likely be there at this point, I'm still for Arthur.
Seen Speights a few times this year, and a lot last year in limited minutes.

He's big, and has an NBA body. Long arms, quick, and athletic. Can play both C, and PF, but if playing PF he will need to improve on his post moves. He has a couple inside moves, and a nice little 12-14ft jumper. That's pretty much all I know about him. I didn't think he was coming out this year so I didn't pay as much attention as I should have.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Seen Speights a few times this year, and a lot last year in limited minutes.

He's big, and has an NBA body. Long arms, quick, and athletic. Can play both C, and PF, but if playing PF he will need to improve on his post moves. He has a couple inside moves, and a nice little 12-14ft jumper. That's pretty much all I know about him. I didn't think he was coming out this year so I didn't pay as much attention as I should have.
I saw Speights a few times also. He has a good upside, but is probably a couple of years away from having an impact on the floor. He wouldn't be the worst pick out there. Were probably not going to do much until 2010 anyway.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Just heard on XM radio that Griffin has said he's going back to school for another year. Too bad. The more that declare the better for us.

Offensively, Dorsey isn't Mems best big. He barely has any offense. Dozier is a much more difficult matchup. It's not even close.
It was Darnell Jackson who kept Dorsey from going to the offensive glass and generally frustrated Dorsey. Dorsey had 6 offensive boards against UCLA, he had one against Kansas. Some of y'all went gaga over Dorsey getting only two rebounds, thinking it was Arthur who stopped him, I was merely pointing out that it was not Arthur but Jackson.

Speaking of Dozier. He is a perimeter player who rarely challenges Arthur in the post. This is not the game to showcase Arthur's post defense because he rarely had to play one on one post defense. He is a good help defender, but who isn't in the nba besides the NY Knicks?

If you'd watched the replay of that rebound, that could have easily been called as an over the back. In fact had it been earlier in the game I'm 90% sure it would have been. Refs eat their whistles at the end of the game. Putting it simply down to Arthur is just ignorant. The college game is harder to rebound in as there's less shots and less minutes. With good coaching Arthur will be fine. He has the length and athleticism. You seem awfully biased against him. No matter what he's done you find ways to nitpick. We're picking at 12, no one is going to be the finished article. Arthur has the most potential out of anyone that will likely be there.
Resting a forearm at a player's back is not over the back and no ref in the nba will call that an offensive foul unless it is done to Shaq. What it shows is that Arthur doesn't have the strength to hold his rebounding position. Watch enough Kings games and you see that Miller, Hawes and Moore have the same problem. The difference being Dozier is a 215 pound skinny guy and our Kings were getting forearms from the likes of Boozer, Duncan, and Amare. If a PF's lack of strength is nitpicking then excuse me for thinking that a "power forward" should have adequate "power" in his game.

You a stat guy? If you'd watched him, you'd have seen he's a pretty damn good defender. Sure, he can get better, but he has quick feet and great length. He has good help side defense too. Also, did you see him helping on the pick'n'roll? He completely caused havoc one time, and almost caused a turnover by trapping. You dislike him. His defense is good, and could be great.
Quick feet, great length, good help defender. You just described Miki Moore.;) What's missing from Arthur's game is that he's not a good one on one defender. NBA PF will have a field day with him.

Fair enough. I can live with him not being your no.1. BTW, sorry if I came across harsh above, not my intentions.
No offense taken. I appreciate your passion in standing by your pick.;)

Why not Hawes at C and Moore at PF? Arthur is far stronger than Hawes, Arthur actually has a pretty good body and strength. He's ripped. Still, your team certainly could challenge for all-lightest :D
By everyday standard Arthur is of course very ripped. But he's weak by nba standard.

Btw, you can replace my team with JaVale McGee or Anthony Randolph and it can still have a run for the all-time skinniest. Not that I want McGee or Randolph.

ahh kickass.. the more players the better :)

Did Blake Griffin declare? All the mock sites took him out except for one.
Looks like griffin is gonna stick around for his sophomore year. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/ncaa/wires/04/09/2060.ap.bkc.oklahoma.griffin.0176/

On the plus side it looks like Deandre Jordan is declaring. http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/041008dnspoaggiesjordan.49c99e13.html

Jordan really isn't very skilled but he is probably making the right decision coming out considering someone will take a chance on him in the first round, while another mediocre season could of really hurt his stock. Truth be told i don't think anyone at Texas A&M would of done much improving his skills considering what a poor job they did developing this season. He could be a decent pick if the team that picks him is prepared to bring him along slowly and not expect too much out of him for a couple of seasons.

Hrm.. Bad new re: Griffin, because the Kings need a PF, and this might have pushed a PF out of our reach because of there being one less to choose from.

Good news everybody!

haha had to say that.. I'm on a Futurama bender atm.. haha.. OK, enough with the jokes..

Anyhow I really have some OK news for the Arthur fans.

nbamock.com - 17th going to the 76'ers.
nbadraft.net - 19th to the Cavs.
draftexpress.com - 21st to the Magic.

Movin on up!

Good news everybody!

haha had to say that.. I'm on a Futurama bender atm.. haha.. OK, enough with the jokes..

Anyhow I really have some OK news for the Arthur fans.

nbamock.com - 17th going to the 76'ers.
nbadraft.net - 19th to the Cavs.
draftexpress.com - 21st to the Magic.

Movin on up!
His stock is going to rise even more after the combine and workouts. His measurables will probably be very good. Anyway, I really don't think he's Geoffs type of player. Geoff doesn't really go for a high reward type guy unless he's as close to a sure thing as you can get.

You have players ahead of Arthur that probably wont drop below him that can all play the PF pos...

Speights, Love, Lopez, Randolph, Jordan, Beasley, Greene, and possibly McGee. That's an awful lot of PFs that have declared.(exception to Randolph who is SF but might play PF in the NBA)

For all you college ball fans...what do you guys/girls think about DJ Augustin?

Small (5'10-5'11) but is able to drive to the basket almost at will. Not the most athletic (he has decent athleticism), but REALLY quick. Decent jump shot, and one of the premier passers in the college game. With good players around him (AHEM* Durant) was able to show he can pass the ball which showed in more assts per gm then this year but this year had a better assist to turnover ratio by a bit (small bit). Decent jumpshooter, but tends to rely on the outside shot rather than the midrange when shooting a jumpshot.... Not sure if he will go to the kings because he's a bit short. Not many short PGs make it defensively. Augustin is average at the college level defensively though.

Hrm.... Not sure what else. Someone add something?

Marreese Speights

the more i'm reading about this kid, the more i'm liking Marreese Speights out of florida... he has the size of an nba power forward (6'10", 245lbs) and the length and athleticism to play in the nba...

in an article in Si.com, it said that he would lead the florida second team in scrimmages over the 2007 champs in Noah, horford, richards, green, brewer in practice.... he has been playing aginst nba caliber big men since his freshman year and held his own then...

he is petries type of player too... very good offensively, with alot of polish offensively for a player his size and age.... he has some skils and physical attributes, but needs work defensively.... he is long and athletic and also a very good rebounder....i think he has a lot of potential and would be a good compliment to Hawes.... we would look good for the future with a starting line up of:

PF Marreese Speights Sheldon Williams
SF John Salmons Francisco Garcia (6th Man)
C Spencer Hawes Mikki Moore
SG Kevin Martin Douby
PG Beno Udrich Johnson

Then Trade Miller for possibly a mid to late 1st round pick and Artest opting out

Last edited:
I'm sure a lot of us would be very happy with Speights, DX projected him in the top 7 I think when they had him in their 09 rankings. Personally, I doubt he'll stay in or fall to us at 12.

Sheesh...I'm just not sold on any of the guys within our range!

Still thinking we should trade this pick away for something better...ie package trade, move up, future picks etc.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I'd be down with Speights. A lot of the draft sites have him going a couple picks after ours. So we could get him. All on Petrie naturally.