Kings Select in the 2008 NBA DRAFT??

Thanks Gary for the info.

I was listening to that one dude on the radio, Coach T (Tabedemarko or however you spell his name) and he said that the Kings organization is also looking at some Euros. I don’t know anything about college ball but I thought some people might find that interesting.

anybody know anything about this guy??
Not too much. Enough to stop reading and look elsewhere, I guess. Some things I didn't like:

Gangly SF.
Some rep as a ballhog.
Jacks up more than seven 3s per game, despite hitting less than a third of them.
Uncertain defensive ability.
Kind of a softy when it comes to making contact.

That's about where I stopped. Sounds like Peja's more selfish and less talented twin. Not interested.

He's our pick on nbamock.com too..

Not 100% sold on him, but he is a decent player. Sometimes plays smaller than his listed 6'11. Not the biggest frame, so might be hard to add weight. He has an outside game though (NBA 3pt range) which is always a plus. Won't have to teach him much offensively.

Not the best defender, and gets pushed a lot down low. Not sure if that's why he shies away from contact. Tends to rely on his jumper more than his post moves.. Not the best rebounder (per stats) but it's misleading because he's never in position to get the rebound, but he does jump over people when he's out of position to get the board a lot which is impressive.

He's still young and has a lot to learn. But as it stands now he's projected to be a PF, although he is more suited for the SF position. Might be out of position if someone tries to throw him into the PF pos next season.

Thanks Gary for the info.

I was listening to that one dude on the radio, Coach T (Tabedemarko or however you spell his name) and he said that the Kings organization is also looking at some Euros. I don’t know anything about college ball but I thought some people might find that interesting.

Oh god please no more freakin Euros. That would be rediculously bad. We have no need for Batum or Gallinari at all, and I personally think they're both extremely overrated.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Oh god please no more freakin Euros. That would be rediculously bad. We have no need for Batum or Gallinari at all, and I personally think they're both extremely overrated.
Whoa there. I think you'll find many highly skilled international players. Gosh, I sure wouldn't want Gasol or Nowitzki manning the PF position right now. :rolleyes:

Dirk looked like a pretty poor choice at the time. Go figure.

Whoa there. I think you'll find many highly skilled international players. Gosh, I sure wouldn't want Gasol or Nowitzki manning the PF position right now. :rolleyes:

Dirk looked like a pretty poor choice at the time. Go figure.
Agreed. If you want to get picky, I believe that Duncan is from the Virgin Islands.

Listening to Fox sports on XM radio. The only radio I can get in baja, and they reported that Love had declared for the draft. One of the hosts said that he had been down on the floor during the tournament standing next to Beasley and there was no way that he was taller than 6'8". He said he doubted the would be able to match up against the bigger PF's in the league and would have to play SF. Just his opinion of course...

I'll bet money that Petrie grabs a PG in this draft.

C: Miller/Hawes/Williams
PF: Moore/SAR/Thomas
SF: Artest/Garcia
SG: Martin/Douby
PG:

Yeah those are the players under contract. Petrie will probably nab a PG with the Lotto pick for insurance in case Beno can't be re-signed. And probably take a stab at another one in the 2nd round as insurance for a back-up.

IF Petrie even takes a big, I think it'll be with our first 2nd round pick. He'll be looking for a Paul Millsap/Craig Smith type of PF with that pick. Devon Hardin, Joey Dorsey types kinda fit that bill.

My prediction is Darren Collison. But I could see Westbrook, Augustin, and Lawson(if he declares) as the potential picks for Petrie.

There are a couple good euro prospects in the lottery, but they play a position(s) we are stacked at right now. We have two second round picks to take a chance on a few euro prospects..

Nathan Jawai 6-10 280 PF/C
Serge Ibaka 6-10 225 PF
Nicola Pekovic 6-11 220 PF
Omer Asik 7-0 220 PF/C
Semih Erden 7-0 250 C
Anton Ponkrashov 6-7 205 PG/SG
Goran Dragic 6-4 185 PG

There are a couple more but you get the point.. All these players play a position we could use. Not sure how many will end up coming to the USA though.

I'll bet money that Petrie grabs a PG in this draft.

C: Miller/Hawes/Williams
PF: Moore/SAR/Thomas
SF: Artest/Garcia
SG: Martin/Douby
PG:

Yeah those are the players under contract. Petrie will probably nab a PG with the Lotto pick for insurance in case Beno can't be re-signed. And probably take a stab at another one in the 2nd round as insurance for a back-up.

IF Petrie even takes a big, I think it'll be with our first 2nd round pick. He'll be looking for a Paul Millsap/Craig Smith type of PF with that pick. Devon Hardin, Joey Dorsey types kinda fit that bill.

My prediction is Darren Collison. But I could see Westbrook, Augustin, and Lawson(if he declares) as the potential picks for Petrie.
I can't see Petrie drafting a PG unless Beno isn't going to return, and I think Petrie will know when it's draft time if Beno will come back or not. It's his job to know these things, and I don't think he would go into the draft with a 50-50 attitude on whether Beno will sign or not.

But I think ou are right on one thing.. If we draft a PG then we can probably be assured that Beno is gone, if it's a PF then looks liek we are keeping Beno.

Lawson is probably going back to school, and Westbrook will probably be gone at 12. Collison I am not sold on, and Augustin is too small. (I like Augustin though). If we don't take Augustin then I bet Portland will.

I can't see Petrie drafting a PG unless Beno isn't going to return, and I think Petrie will know when it's draft time if Beno will come back or not. It's his job to know these things, and I don't think he would go into the draft with a 50-50 attitude on whether Beno will sign or not.

But I think ou are right on one thing.. If we draft a PG then we can probably be assured that Beno is gone, if it's a PF then looks liek we are keeping Beno.

Lawson is probably going back to school, and Westbrook will probably be gone at 12. Collison I am not sold on, and Augustin is too small. (I like Augustin though). If we don't take Augustin then I bet Portland will.
I don't see drafting a PG and keeping Beno as necessarily mutually exclusive.

Other than Rose, I don't really see any of the PGs ready to start in the NBA from day one. Augustin, perhaps, but I'm not convinced he will be available when we pick. If so, he'd be my pick at 12. Otherwise, I'd go with Westbrook. Collison, who I do like, could be a bit of a reach, depending on who else is available there; I wouldn't take Lawson unless it's with a second first rounder.

Even if we do draft one of these guys, I'd say you still hang on to Beno for now. Sign him to a 5 year deal between $20-25 million, with either a team or player option for the fourth year. That way, you can let the rookie come along slowly, but by the time you have to decide whether to extend him or not (by the fourth year, if my knowledge of the rookie scale is correct) you will have Beno coming off the cap, too.

Especially if we get Westbrook, who I could see using next to Beno as a poor man's Nash/Barbosa, I don't think drafting a PG precludes keeping Udrih.

I don't think drafting a PG precludes keeping Udrih.
I tend to agree. When one of the biggest concerns about Udrih is his perceived fragility, we do not want to have no backup. Cisco has improved from being totally unacceptable as a PG, to being an adequate 3rd stringer, but his real strengths seem to lie elsewhere. If we didn't get a backup PG in the draft, Geoff would probably feel forced to hire someone like AJ at vet's minimum, which would kinda suck. Jason Hart all over again.

So I'm expecting at least a Ronnie Price sort of guy to end up on our roster this summer. Maybe even a Collison type guy. We will see.

Last edited:
K

king07

With the number one overall pick in the 2008 NBA draft: The Sacramento Kings select Derrick Rose

That's right, we're winning the lottery this year.

(atleast i can dream)

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
At this point, assuming we're ending up with the 12th pick, I'm hoping for Donte Greene or Marreese Speights. Either one looks like they could be available right now, but if they really impress somebody in workouts they could likely go higher. That's what makes this 12th pick so frustrating. You almost hope for guys to under perform so other teams will pass on them. I don't like any of the PG options at the 12th pick. Maybe Westbrook if he's still on the board. I guess you take DeAndre Jordan if he falls, regardless of position need, but I really like Greene and Speights right now. Greene has a lot to work on but his jumpshot is solid and he's a great athlete. He hasn't worked hard on defense but he's got the size to guard either forward position. Speights is probably more the kind of player Reggie Theus wants. He's got great size for a PF and will contribute with defense and rebounding right away. Offensively he's still a long ways away. He's going to be anchored in the post until he improves his jumpshot but with the centers we have on this team that's not necessarily a bad thing. I think Speights is the best fit for us but Donte Greene has All-Star potential as a Rashard Lewis type of wing player.

Last edited:

Beno himself wouldn't know if he will be back at that time. No other club would have approached him by then. Draft happens before the FA period. There is no definitive way of knowing whether Beno will be back or not at draft day.

Not too much. Enough to stop reading and look elsewhere, I guess. Some things I didn't like:

Gangly SF.
Some rep as a ballhog.
Jacks up more than seven 3s per game, despite hitting less than a third of them.
Uncertain defensive ability.
Kind of a softy when it comes to making contact.

That's about where I stopped. Sounds like Peja's more selfish and less talented twin. Not interested.
Wow... you just described Antoine Walker :eek:

nbamock actually takes into account the team needs supposedly and they have Greene too. I think it's about right. PF is our weakest position.. I don't think Greene is right though because he doesn't really address our rebounding needs but he's one hell of a scorer, and it's hard to find a 6'10-6'11 guy that has the offensive game like Greene. Too bad he isn't a better rebounder.

nbamock actually takes into account the team needs supposedly and they have Greene too. I think it's about right. PF is our weakest position.. I don't think Greene is right though because he doesn't really address our rebounding needs but he's one hell of a scorer, and it's hard to find a 6'10-6'11 guy that has the offensive game like Greene. Too bad he isn't a better rebounder.
Yea, he's never going to get out of that tweener label IMO. Seriously lacks an in between game right now too. He should stay in school. His best shot is being a shard lewis type.

I guarantee he drafts a PG barring some major no-brain talent slip in the top 11. There is NO WAY Petrie can know about Beno. The draft is like June 26th and free agency can't begin until July 1st. If you think Petrie knows something, then he's breaking league rules. He's gonna CYA in this situation and draft a PG. He drafted a wing in case Bonzi left and that was when we had K$.

I guarantee he drafts a PG barring some major no-brain talent slip in the top 11. There is NO WAY Petrie can know about Beno. The draft is like June 26th and free agency can't begin until July 1st. If you think Petrie knows something, then he's breaking league rules. He's gonna CYA in this situation and draft a PG. He drafted a wing in case Bonzi left and that was when we had K$.
Yes he can know about Beno.. What I was trying to say is that although the negotiations start on the first of July Petrie should know whether or not he will be able to re-sign Beno. I am 100000% sure he wouldn't go into the draft totally blind on whether or not the Kings will have a PG next season. That's just ridiculous. Plus he can talk to Beno and his agent pretty much all year (during the season). It's just from the end of the year through July 1st when he cannot make any kind of arrangements or negotiate. Petrie knows what he wants already, and will go for it right on July 1st. Take a look at last year for instance. Most FAs had agreements in principle by the 4th. Not saying there is backdoor type deals going on, just that the GMs know what they are going to do, and what they want. Petrie knows if he wants to re-sign Beno, and probably has a clue on whether he can or cannot by this time.

Even if he isn't going to re-sign Beno, I am not so sure the Kings will draft a PG. Not any "blow your mind" type PGs even available from about Bayless on forward. This is a PF draft, and the Kings are weakest at PF. There are even talks about too many PFs coming out this year that should stay in school another year and might miss out on a payday because of it. http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=796489

Think about it... You have Rose, and Bayless (Mayo if you count him as a PG). Then what?

Westbrook: he will probably be gone by the time we pick, but if he isn't then I would take him..
Collison: nope
Lawson: hell nope (plus he's probably going back to UNC)
Augustin: MAYBE... But there are 3 PFs I would take above him.

Last edited:
Unless we get lucky and get the first pick in the draft, I'm not for drafting a pt guard. With the first pick, you have to take Rose. I'm not holding my breath on that one.
When comparing talent, there are more PF types that have a chance of being good to maybe great players in the NBA than there are Pt guards. Augustin is the only one that I would consider and I think he's a risk. There are pt guards that can be had in the second round. I really like DeMarcus Nelson. I think a lot of people are overlooking him. He's a very good defensive player and gives a 100 percent all the time. Plus he's from Sacramento.
At the PF position, I don't like Jordan. I wouldn't take him even if he slides to us, and slide is what I think he's going to do. I like Speights, but I've only seen him play one time. I'm a big fan of Thompson and I would certainly take Love if he's there. I like Randoff, but I'm not sure he can play the PF position, but I'm not sure he can't either. The league is changing a little. The centers out there by and large aren't your typical center of 10 or 15 yrs ago. Shaq is now a dinasour, being replaced by the Howards of the future. I think Hawes is a nice compromise between the two. We just need to find someone that compliments Hawes.

I think Hawes is a nice compromise between the two. We just need to find someone that compliments Hawes.
I agree with a lot of what you said. I mentioned Richard Hendrix of Alabama in this thread way earlier, but no one else here apparently thought he was worth any more attention. I assume that's because they think he's a second rounder or have absolutely no idea who he is. I have a friend who lives in Alabama and has seen him play (on TV only) and thinks he's going to be a very solid NBA player with a lot of killer instint skills at PF. One a side note, Florida coach Billy Donovan said Hendrix is one of the best three or four inside players he's seen in the SEC over the past two seasons - and we know the noteworthy players that particular coach has been looking at during those talent laden years down south.

I agree with a lot of what you said. I mentioned Richard Hendrix of Alabama in this thread way earlier, but no one else here apparently thought he was worth any more attention. I assume that's because they think he's a second rounder or have absolutely no idea who he is. I have a friend who lives in Alabama and has seen him play (on TV only) and thinks he's going to be a very solid NBA player with a lot of killer instint skills at PF. One a side note, Florida coach Billy Donovan said Hendrix is one of the best three or four inside players he's seen in the SEC over the past two seasons - and we know the noteworthy players that particular coach has been looking at during those talent laden years down south.
I actually like Hendrix. He's been mentioned a lot on this board earlier in the year. I do think he will be a second round pick and would love to grab him there if he's available. The only thing that has be questioned is his actual height which will be answered at the pre-draft camp..

I actually like Hendrix. He's been mentioned a lot on this board earlier in the year. I do think he will be a second round pick and would love to grab him there if he's available. The only thing that has be questioned is his actual height which will be answered at the pre-draft camp..
After my friend in Alabama (BTW, a former very successful boys H.S. basketball coach) told me a few months ago about Hendrix I started reading up on him. I was rather amazed at the overall reviews with lots of them predicting if he came out he would be a sure fire first rounder - probably mid to late. And yes, there is the actual height question. I heard he was listed at 6'8 as a college sophomore at age 19 or 20. As a 21 year old junior I started seeing 6'9, but yet to be definitively answered (the old w/shoes vs w/out shoes bit). One last thing on Hendrix. I don't think he's selected an agent yet so he may have left the door open to returning for his senior year even though most seem to think he's likely turning pro.

Last edited:
I've seen some mock drafts lately that have us taking Deandre Jordan. I'm not opposed to this per se. He's not very skilled, but he has immense physical ability. My only question is that, at 7 feet tall, can he play PF? Spencer is showing us that he is likely our C of the future, so we should really focus on power forward this draft (or PG, but Beno is young and pretty good).

I feel that this Kings team is a superstar away from being a great team. As such, I think we need to draft on potential. Jordan has as much 'upside' as anyone in this years draft, and as such, I would definitely support us drafting him. No, he's not very refined, and thus he's certainly a project, but if he pans out....oh boy. (Although, for the record, Spencer was considered a project, and he has exceeded my personal expectations for the season).