Kings Select in the 2008 NBA DRAFT??

There is no way Arthur slips to the 2nd. His stock may have fallen, but athletic, skilled guys are always taken high. Not to mention the fact that Arthurs measurables at the combine and pre-draft camps will have him shoot up the board again. With his size and jumping ability he is sure to rise a nice few spots.
Unfortunately, I don't think he's Geoffs type of pick.

Gary, I really think you need to look past the stats. I know you're trying, but look what happens the majority of the time he gets the ball. We've seen his turnaround and his spin moves etc. We know he has talent. We know he's an athletic freak. I blame the KU system. They don't dump the ball down to him enough and it's very much a guard orientated team with Chalmers, Rush etc. all taking the majority of the shots. Remember, this is not about what a player can do now at the college level, it's about what they may be able to do down the line in the NBA. And I think Arthur has the ability to be a pretty special player if developed right.

As for the slipping part I don't think he will slip to the second round. I was exaggerating about that, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was in the 20s. A PF that can't rebound and score consistently is not a sought after commodity in the NBA. Except in Mikki Moore's part which we all know how the fans feel about him. Same thing would happen if we drafted Arthur. There would be excitement about his above the rim plays, but after a couple months (if he were starting) his 8ppg 3rpg stats would irritate everyone.

As for the slipping part I don't think he will slip to the second round. I was exaggerating about that, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was in the 20s. A PF that can't rebound and score consistently is not a sought after commodity in the NBA. Except in Mikki Moore's part which we all know how the fans feel about him. Same thing would happen if we drafted Arthur. There would be excitement about his above the rim plays, but after a couple months (if he were starting) his 8ppg 3rpg stats would irritate everyone.

You're just assuming what he'll do at the next level. He's 20 years old, he has a long, long time to improve and work on his game. He has all the unteachables (size, athleticism) and a good skill set to work on. I don't see why you assume he won't be able to score consistently, from the games I've seen (about 5 or 6 games) he's looked comfortable with the ball and usually shows a nice array of moves and touch on his shots around the basket. You can use your per minute points system but it's not accurate if a player isn't being passed the ball (Arthur should be getting far more touches). I hate the Mikki Moore comparison because they aren't much alike. I don't see how you can compare an undrafted clean-up type player in Moore who is over 30, to a 20 year old kid who has shown more skills in his life than Mikki Moore has ever shown. It's just not right.

If Arthur is coached right and put in a situation that suits him, I will guarantee you he'll be more than a 8ppg 3rpg guy. Not in his rookie year, but when he matures and adapts to the NBA game.

I'm not saying "I'm right, you're wrong" because we all have different views. I just feel you're being overly harsh and judging a player on his college stats before he even gets the chance to work with great players and coaches is a little harsh.

BTW, just for fun (even though you said it to someone else), I'll take you up on your signature bet. :D I'll bet that Arthur goes 21 or before, you bet after. That OK with you? If not, we can negotiate :D

Sounds like a plan.. 21 it is :D Hrm... I know he will probably move up if he ha a good game, and a good combine, but the 21 sounds like a good number.

It's a deal.. So... You can pick what you want in mine, and I can pick what I want in yours. I gotta think about that one :D

I think if we win the draft we will get Beasley, and play him at PF. Rose would be nice too. There are a couple teams that if they got the #1 might draft Rose like Knicks, or Minnesota because both teams lack a PG. Might be a couple others.

I think if we win the draft we will get Beasley, and play him at PF. Rose would be nice too. There are a couple teams that if they got the #1 might draft Rose like Knicks, or Minnesota because both teams lack a PG. Might be a couple others.
Rose has greater game impact potential than Beasley IMO. Beasley will be a pretty good rebounder and a very good scorer, but he's not going to create for his teammates very well; he'll be a lot like Carmelo in that way. Also Beasley is never going to be much of a defender IMO. Rose has potential to be a great two way player, a great facilitator, and someone who can actually lead a team (which we need more than a volume scorer).

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Rose has greater game impact potential than Beasley IMO. Beasley will be a pretty good rebounder and a very good scorer, but he's not going to create for his teammates very well; he'll be a lot like Carmelo in that way. Also Beasley is never going to be much of a defender IMO. Rose has potential to be a great two way player, a great facilitator, and someone who can actually lead a team (which we need more than a volume scorer).
You could be right. I do think that Beasley will struggle a little bit in his first couple of years on defense. He had a hard time guarding Thompson who is bigger than him. On the other hand, he certainly got his points against Thompson. He's going to be a very good player, and may end up playing the SF position, at least on defense because he's quick enough. I do think that Rose will have a more immediate impact. Boy, it would be a tough choice between them. I think I would take Rose....

You're just assuming what he'll do at the next level. He's 20 years old, he has a long, long time to improve and work on his game. He has all the unteachables (size, athleticism) and a good skill set to work on. I don't see why you assume he won't be able to score consistently, from the games I've seen (about 5 or 6 games) he's looked comfortable with the ball and usually shows a nice array of moves and touch on his shots around the basket. You can use your per minute points system but it's not accurate if a player isn't being passed the ball (Arthur should be getting far more touches). I hate the Mikki Moore comparison because they aren't much alike. I don't see how you can compare an undrafted clean-up type player in Moore who is over 30, to a 20 year old kid who has shown more skills in his life than Mikki Moore has ever shown. It's just not right.

If Arthur is coached right and put in a situation that suits him, I will guarantee you he'll be more than a 8ppg 3rpg guy. Not in his rookie year, but when he matures and adapts to the NBA game.

I'm not saying "I'm right, you're wrong" because we all have different views. I just feel you're being overly harsh and judging a player on his college stats before he even gets the chance to work with great players and coaches is a little harsh.

BTW, just for fun (even though you said it to someone else), I'll take you up on your signature bet. :D I'll bet that Arthur goes 21 or before, you bet after. That OK with you? If not, we can negotiate :D

Yeah this is what I've been trying to say. I honestly think even if Arthur is never a great stats guy he'll atleast get Rasheed Wallace type stats with like 15/7 or 14/8 and 1-2 blocks. But if he's fed the ball and he has a good bigman coach, he has a ton of potential. He's not like Mikki really. Only thing similar is they're both athletic, can dunk, and can hit a mid range J. But Arthur has way more post moves, is a better defender, and probably a much better shot blocker in the NBA.

nbadraft.net has has Richard Hendrix falling to us at 42! and Nathan Jawai. I would freak out but I would only wish our first pick was Nicholas batum/Dj Augustin/Jason thompson

a draft of

Dj Augustin
Richard Hendrix

WOW! that would be a great start for Sacramento

bajaden

Hall of Famer
nbadraft.net has has Richard Hendrix falling to us at 42! and Nathan Jawai. I would freak out but I would only wish our first pick was Nicholas batum/Dj Augustin/Jason thompson

a draft of

Dj Augustin
Richard Hendrix

WOW! that would be a great start for Sacramento
All I know about Jawai is what I've read and what little film that I've seen thats available. I posted a story about him over a month ago. He's an interesting player. Certainly a physcial specimen. I'm sure he would be a project, but for a second round pick, why not.
I'm not as high on Hendrix, and would much rather have Thompson. I just don't think that after the pre-draft camps, Thompson will be in the second round. I hope he gets an invite to Portsmouth.

Jawai is a fatty... he dominates inferior competition because of his huge bulk. But, with a second rounder, why not take a flyer on him.

We could possibly trade up to nab Blake Griffin. Lots of teams might be disenchanted with their mid lotto picks, and Griffin I think would be IDEAL for the Kings.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Jawai is a fatty... he dominates inferior competition because of his huge bulk. But, with a second rounder, why not take a flyer on him.

We could possibly trade up to nab Blake Griffin. Lots of teams might be disenchanted with their mid lotto picks, and Griffin I think would be IDEAL for the Kings.
I would be very happy with Griffin...

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Robin Lopez has been mentioned a couple of times and I think he would be a good pickup if he were to slide into the second round, or we were to aquire a second 1st round pick. He's basicly a low post player, but he's a great shot blocker and not a bad rebounder.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Collison just went off my wish list. Rose was great, and I was very impressed with Douglas Roberts. I think he is going to be a star in the NBA.

Westbrook > Augustin > Collison

Only one who was able to look Rose in the eye and do his own thing. Collison choked big time, he lost his cool under pressure.
Yea, but he has to prove he can run the point or he's really not for us. I haven't seen Westbrook enough to know if he can run an offense, something tells me he's not that type. I say we draft Augustin or put off on getting a PG for now.

Yea, but he has to prove he can run the point or he's really not for us. I haven't seen Westbrook enough to know if he can run an offense, something tells me he's not that type. I say we draft Augustin or put off on getting a PG for now.
He ran the PG for a long while during Collison's injury. Don't forget, Deron Williams wasn't the PG for Illinois when he came out, that was Head. I'm pretty sure Westbrook can play the Point.

He ran the PG for a long while during Collison's injury. Don't forget, Deron Williams wasn't the PG for Illinois when he came out, that was Head. I'm pretty sure Westbrook can play the Point.
okay, but it was obvious that Williams had the vision/passing/pg IQ/ball handling to be a nba pg, it's not so clear with Westbrook whether he played point for a college team that normally works in the half court or not.

Agree.. Westbrook did run the point at the start of the season while Collison was injured, but didn't do anything spectacular. Nothing a combo guard couldn't do.

I havent been following this whole thread so if my choice has already been said sorry

Anyway, what if we could get Ty Lawson that would be great

I think he would be a great backup for Beno. One day he could even start. Sure hes a bit short but i think he'll be a pretty good pg in a few years. Plus if we get him we could move douby to the two gaurd wheres hes so much better at.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Lets make an asumption that were going to resign Beno. If we agree on that, then our glaring need is for a PF that can play some defense and grab rebounds. I don't think we need to use a lottery pick on a backup point guard.

I havent been following this whole thread so if my choice has already been said sorry

Anyway, what if we could get Ty Lawson that would be great

I think he would be a great backup for Beno. One day he could even start. Sure hes a bit short but i think he'll be a pretty good pg in a few years. Plus if we get him we could move douby to the two gaurd wheres hes so much better at.

Lawson is expected to go to Cleveland at #19 or so my crystal ball tells me :D

BTW.. THAT is the way I like Arthur to play.. Hell of a game defensively for Arthur. We all know he can shoot the ball inside 12-15ft so if he can board like that regularly then he has a future.

Last edited:

Ehh Westbrook averaged more APG and when he was the PG while Collison was out he was at like 5.5 APG or something. I like him as a PG better and think he has a lot of potential. This "he can't play PG stuff" is really just baseless skeptisism.

Arthur was a beast today though, 9 rebounds and 4 blks. Nice game by him.

Ehh Westbrook averaged more APG and when he was the PG while Collison was out he was at like 5.5 APG or something. I like him as a PG better and think he has a lot of potential. This "he can't play PG stuff" is really just baseless skeptisism.

Arthur was a beast today though, 9 rebounds and 4 blks. Nice game by him.
It isn't all about assists. He's not a strong dribbler and he's not strong at creating off the dribble. He's got good passing/vision, but he hasn't proven he can be a primary ball handler and distribute in transition or off the pnr. He gets his assists in half court sets and not really off the dribble, driving and kicking.

It isn't all about assists. He's not a strong dribbler and he's not strong at creating off the dribble. He's got good passing/vision, but he hasn't proven he can be a primary ball handler and distribute in transition or off the pnr. He gets his assists in half court sets and not really off the dribble, driving and kicking.

He did a better job bringing the ball up than Collison did today vs Rose. Collison wilted every time and threw the ball away a lot, Westbrook actually was able to bring it up vs Rose without turning it over and he did that. I think there's this stereotype that cuz he's 6'3'' and athletic and can score, he is a combo guard. But really he's a great defender, athlete, and a great passer. He reminds me a lot of Baron Davis. The guy's potential is off the charts, sure he needs to improve his shooting and maybe ball handling but that much potential is way too good to pass up.

nbadraft.net updated that kings will pick Anthony Randolph and pass up Kevin Love, but i don't think kings will rather pick Anthony Randolph than Kevin Love