Kings Select in the 2008 NBA DRAFT??

Because he was getting STUFFED...he looked AWFUL out there. Memphis has a couple three potential NBA players. These are the guys he will be going against night in and night out. Even if his shot was falling, I think he's at best an average PG in the NBA. Give me DC any day over Augustin.
Incorrect.. You notice the difference between Abrams, and Augustin yesterday right? That's the difference between someone that is 5'11 and has a chance to make it, and someone thats 5'11 and has virtually no chance.. Abrams wasn't even able to get around anyone to GET to the basket.. He was shooting jumpers the whole game. Augustin on the other hand was driving and actually put most his shots up w/o getting stuffed...

I agree with you on him doing horrible against the best PG prospect in the draft.. that's true, but Augustin showed me that he can go amongst trees and still get the shot up. It reminded me a lot of Beno.

Now do I think Petrie will draft him? Nah probably not.. If I was taking a chance on a 5'11 PG and had two first rounders I might, but since we don't we might see a guy like Sean Singletary get that shot.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
The NCAA tournament always seems to inflate the value of certain players, particularly those that make it to the championship. I just happened to catch a glimpse of the TWolves vs. Jazz game yesterday and they ran a poll on the TWolves broadcast asking who should be drafted with the first overall pick: Beasley, Rose, Love, or Lopez. That Love would even be included as an option is kindof surprising considering he was a mid-first round pick a few weeks ago, but not that surprising considering the tournament he's had so far. He'll probably go in the top 10. Collison may too. He's just as good as Mike Conley was, and Conley went fourth after his MVP type performance in the tournament. I look at this as a good thing for us. It means more talented players who would be drafted higher might slip down. Not that I don't think Love and Collison are good players, just that there's other guys that I think would be better.

I agree that Collison has done a good job running the show for UCLA. To say he is going to be a great playmaker, like John Stockton, because he runs a offense that is built around a post presence or last years offense of finding shooters coming off screens doesn't make sense to me. A offensive system can hinder a player but it can also mask weaknesses. He has yet to show me that he can break down a defense and create at a high level. He does a decent job of creating for his teammates but his own offensive game has some glaring flaws that could effect him on the next level. When he breaks down a defense he has a hard time finishing at the basket because of his size, he doesn't really have a mid range game because of his slow release. He is a great set shooter but i think he is gonna have a hard time scoring in the NBA. I don't know if you were just comparing his mentality to John Stockton but as far as skills go he simple hasn't show me that he has the offensive tools to have a good mid range game or be the play maker that Stockton was. I also don't think he is going to be the same level of defender against bigger more athletically gifted players due to his size. We will see how he handles a big and athletically gifted player in Rose next Saturday.
Great points.

I have to say I'm sold on Arthur. He has such a package of athleticism, size and skills that he's just the type of PF we need next to Hawes.
Maybe to some it's the other way around, but the game against Davidson sold me even more. He had a few nice highlights and made some very impressive moves. And, you just have to be impressed by his athleticism. The only real question mark for me is with his talent and skills, why isn't he dominating at the college level? Personally, I think it's down to him not knowing just how good he is. He's not assertive enough (that does NOT mean he doesn't try hard enough - there is a big difference). His coach also doesn't seem to utilise him to his true abilites.
I'd be ecstatic if we took him. But he's really not the GP pick, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

I have to say I'm sold on Arthur. He has such a package of athleticism, size and skills that he's just the type of PF we need next to Hawes.
Maybe to some it's the other way around, but the game against Davidson sold me even more. He had a few nice highlights and made some very impressive moves. And, you just have to be impressed by his athleticism. The only real question mark for me is with his talent and skills, why isn't he dominating at the college level? Personally, I think it's down to him not knowing just how good he is. He's not assertive enough (that does NOT mean he doesn't try hard enough - there is a big difference). His coach also doesn't seem to utilise him to his true abilites.
I'd be ecstatic if we took him. But he's really not the GP pick, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Usually people go up in mocks the further their team goes in the tournament. Arthur has gone down. He lacks everything we need except for athleticism. In the tournament he has not played up to his potential at all. Just think how hard it will be for him in the NBA. I wouldn't be surprised if he slid to the late first early second round.

This is the players time to shine, and Arthur has not.

Last season it was bout 3 points every minutes, and 1 board every 4.
This season with more minutes it's 3 points every 6 minutes, ad 1 board every 4. No improvement at all in increased minutes.

During the tournament Arthur has averaged 10ppg 5rpg less than an assist, less than a steal, and less than a block per game. These stats would be a lot worse if they didn't play Portland State in the first round.

Here is the kicker... He has had MORE MINUTES! 28.8mpg!!! You would figure with almost 30 minutes per game he would produce, wrong.. Those above are Mikki Moore stats.. Do you want a young Mikki Moore? If so by all means draft Arthur :D

Arthur is not the guy.. He's an athlete that occasionally makes a highlight play. Not worth a first round lottery pick.

Against Davidson did you watch the game after about the 7 minute mark when he had 5 boards, and 5 points? He completely dissappeared.. Actually disappear is an understatement. He vanished.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Usually people go up in mocks the further their team goes in the tournament. Arthur has gone down. He lacks everything we need except for athleticism. In the tournament he has not played up to his potential at all. Just think how hard it will be for him in the NBA. I wouldn't be surprised if he slid to the late first early second round.

This season with more minutes it's 3 points every 6 minutes, ad 1 board every 4. No improvement at all in increased minutes.

During the tournament Arthur has averaged 10ppg 5rpg less than an assist, less than a steal, and less than a block per game. These stats would be a lot worse if they didn't play Portland State in the first round.

Here is the kicker... He has had MORE MINUTES! 28.8mpg!!! You would figure with almost 30 minutes per game he would produce, wrong.. Those above are Mikki Moore stats.. Do you want a young Mikki Moore? If so by all means draft Arthur :D

Arthur is not the guy.. He's an athlete that occasionally makes a highlight play. Not worth a first round lottery pick.

Against Davidson did you watch the game after about the 7 minute mark when he had 5 boards, and 5 points? He completely dissappeared.. Actually disappear is an understatement. He vanished.
Couldn't agree more.. I can't wait for the pre-draft camps to see just how tall he really is. They had a short interview with Thompson on, I think Draft express. They asked him how tall he really was since he was only about 6'7" or 6'8" when he was a freshman, and now he's listed at 6'10" sometimes and 6'11" others. He said that he's a legit 6'11". I honestly don't think he's going to be around in the second round and he might start climbing up the board after the pre-draft camps.
Not the right venue, but it would be nice if we could switch picks with Memphis and throw in our 2010 first round pick. They seem to be in a rebuilding mode and we'll be heavy into the free agent market in 2010.:cool:

That's just boxscore watching IMO. You're forgetting that he had so few touches, he had no opportunity to do anything offensively. This was because you had Kansas' guards who were only looking for their own offense. Chalmers, Rush and Collins combined for 32 of Kansas' 52 shots alone. Arthur shot 3/5 from the field on some nice post up moves and one offensive rebound, Kaun shot 6/6, half of which came from offensive rebounds, and Jackson shot 4/6 and half of those were from offensive rebounds. Whenever Arthur/Kaun would post up, Davidson did an nice job of preventing post entry passes long enough for them to give up their position in the post to set screens for their shot-happy guards. It nearly cost them the game.

Defensively, Arthur did an ok job switching and rotating on the perimeter, though he had a two times when he fouled a guy going for an and-1 situation, probably due to mental lapse. I can accept the poor rebounding number because Kansas outrebounded Davidson as a whole, as their guards really picked up their rebounding as a whole.

So, it wasn't really a case of disappearing, but a case of completely being frozen out. 12 assists as a whole for the team is inexcuseable. Getting your best option in the post one touch in the entire second half is inexcuseable. You could see the frustration, especially on that play when Arthur got the ball in the high post and forced something, knowing that it would be a while before he would touch the ball again.

Horrid game for Kansas' guards. If it wasn't for Sasha Kaun's hustle, they would have lost.

It's not box score watching. I have seen every Kansas tournament (except against Portland when they kept cutting back and forth) game and many many regular season games.

You say "boxscore watching" but I have to in order to get the stats to backup his crappy overall play. But yes, I have seen every tournament game, and he has not shown anything new to me that I missed other than his knack to just disappear.

Yesterday I got excited because Arthur was hitting the boards early, and scoring and actually had a nice up and under move off an offensive rebound.

Then there was a time out....................

There was about 10-12 minutes left in the first half and Arthur had 5pts and 5rbds. I was hoping that he would continue to shine.. NOPE! For the rest of the game I was watching the double zero hoping to see something but got a lot of standing around and setting late screens half of which were moving. He scored 2 points, and grabbed 0 rebounds from the 8-10 minute mark in the first to the end of the game.. TOW POINTS AND ZERO REBOUNDS! ACK!

You all tell me he offers so much.. Well if he does than I want to see it. Seriously... We are talking about the future PF of our team here. Why put it in the hands of someone who can't rebound, or block shots? I just don;t see what you all see in him or something. Seriously watch any other team that has an athletic big and tell me if he pretty much does all the same things Arthur does.

Now that Robin Lopez has declared for the draft, I would definitely consider drafting him. Our front line would dominate! But the question is... would we want to move Hawes to PF?

PG-Beno
SG-Martin
PF-Hawes
SF-Artest
C-Lopez

It's not box score watching. I have seen every Kansas tournament (except against Portland when they kept cutting back and forth) game and many many regular season games.

You say "boxscore watching" but I have to in order to get the stats to backup his crappy overall play. But yes, I have seen every tournament game, and he has not shown anything new to me that I missed other than his knack to just disappear.

Yesterday I got excited because Arthur was hitting the boards early, and scoring and actually had a nice up and under move off an offensive rebound.

Then there was a time out....................

There was about 10-12 minutes left in the first half and Arthur had 5pts and 5rbds. I was hoping that he would continue to shine.. NOPE! For the rest of the game I was watching the double zero hoping to see something but got a lot of standing around and setting late screens half of which were moving. He scored 2 points, and grabbed 0 rebounds from the 8-10 minute mark in the first to the end of the game.. TOW POINTS AND ZERO REBOUNDS! ACK!

You all tell me he offers so much.. Well if he does than I want to see it. Seriously... We are talking about the future PF of our team here. Why put it in the hands of someone who can't rebound, or block shots? I just don;t see what you all see in him or something. Seriously watch any other team that has an athletic big and tell me if he pretty much does all the same things Arthur does.
I don't doubt that you watched the game. That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that just looking at his stats and thinking "Well, he sucked, and that's that" is the wrong mentality to evaluate NBA prospects on the college level. It's never that cut and dry. You have to go deeper. Arthur has the mentality that he produces when he is involved in the offense, whether you hate him or love him for it is up to you. He CAN rebound; he has all of the length, all of the athleticism to do it. But, he's not the kind of garbage man where even if he doesn't get touches, he does the dirty work. Look at his game logs; every big rebounding game he's had has corresponded to a high number of shots. Again, you may not like that mentality right now, but it's correctable. All about motivation with him.

I guess you missed this, but I clearly remember several posessions where Arthur went to post up, got decent position, only to have the guards call for a screen. He got FIVE total shots the entire game, ONE shot in the second half. It was obvious that he was disheartened from his body language; as the game progressed, he not only stopped rolling to the basket, but also set progressively worse screens. Only one time he got the ball in the post, and he scored on that posession. What's he supposed to do? Go out to the perimeter and demand the ball?

He played for the U19 team last year, and his coach was raving about Arthur, even saying he was better than Micheal F Beasley. This kid has talent, and it could be a huge break of luck for this franchise to have a shot at him.

Westbrook looks decent, I heard from a not so reliable source that kevin love smokes(could be important), but this guy also asked me if kevin love was going to be as good as lebron. I see KL as a maybyner hilario type.

The kings need a PG with size, because kevin is still a little feathery. The overall Weight of a team is an indication. And i sense that if we loose Ron, we are going to come up 150 lbs short. Im only talking about the starting 5, btw. So, Augustine may be a decent player, but at this point i would compare him to tony parker/travis best, more on the best side.

I do not see the kings pass up on these names, 1st Eric Gordon 2nd westbrook 3rd Donte Green

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Westbrook looks decent, I heard from a not so reliable source that kevin love smokes(could be important), but this guy also asked me if kevin love was going to be as good as lebron. I see KL as a maybyner hilario type.

The kings need a PG with size, because kevin is still a little feathery. The overall Weight of a team is an indication. And i sense that if we loose Ron, we are going to come up 150 lbs short. Im only talking about the starting 5, btw. So, Augustine may be a decent player, but at this point i would compare him to tony parker/travis best, more on the best side.

I do not see the kings pass up on these names, 1st Eric Gordon 2nd westbrook 3rd Donte Green
No disrespect, but I honestly don't have a clue what your talking about. But I'm going to buy a scale and start weighing all the players.:D:D

I think we will select Jason Thompson. I have been saying that for a while.

if Nicholas Batum isnt there, then I think jason is a safe petrie pick.

I dont think Anthony Randolph is a petrie guy(nba.net and draftexpress) currently have us taking him.

Petrie has been to atleast 1 thompson game. also JaVale Mcgee has been around sac alot, his mom is a high school coach here.

I said when i made the thread that i could see Sean Singletary as a 2nd round pick, also there is a couple euro guards that might be in draft in the 2nd round, we all know petrie loves euros.

I'm basing my evaluation of him on what he has the ability to do in the future. I know you're not high on him, that's fine - everyone likes someone different. I think the comparison to Moore is way off. Arthur has the ability to be better at every single aspect of the game than Moore (maybe apart from taking the charge ;)).

I did watch the Davidson game. All of it. I was paying particular interest to Arthur as I find him very intriguing. I also noticed how they wouldn't throw him the damn ball no matter how good of a position he got himself in. When he got the ball, good things happened most of the time. He made some very impressive moves around the basket and he shows nice touch. I didn't think he disappeared, he tried hard but they wouldn't pass him the ball. Kansas are an extremely guard-orientated team, even for college ball. On another team I think Arthur would be far more impressive.

He's an athlete that occasionally makes a highlight play.
I really don't agree with that. He has quite a nice skillset, especially for someone who's so athletic. Big athletic guys usually develop late as they've always been able to dominate with athleticism. Arthur has a nice handle for a big guy and is not afraid to use his moves. I think the main problem is he needs to be more agressive. He needs to demand the ball as it's the only way he'll get it off Kansas' chucker guards.

Re his rebounding, I don't think that'll be a problem on the next level. Hawes only averaged 6 and he's shown he can rebound the ball very well in the limited minutes he's got. With Arthurs athleticism and size he should be OK. He just needs to learn positioning and boxing out.

I don't doubt that you watched the game. That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that just looking at his stats and thinking "Well, he sucked, and that's that" is the wrong mentality to evaluate NBA prospects on the college level. It's never that cut and dry. You have to go deeper. Arthur has the mentality that he produces when he is involved in the offense, whether you hate him or love him for it is up to you. He CAN rebound; he has all of the length, all of the athleticism to do it. But, he's not the kind of garbage man where even if he doesn't get touches, he does the dirty work. Look at his game logs; every big rebounding game he's had has corresponded to a high number of shots. Again, you may not like that mentality right now, but it's correctable. All about motivation with him.

I guess you missed this, but I clearly remember several posessions where Arthur went to post up, got decent position, only to have the guards call for a screen. He got FIVE total shots the entire game, ONE shot in the second half. It was obvious that he was disheartened from his body language; as the game progressed, he not only stopped rolling to the basket, but also set progressively worse screens. Only one time he got the ball in the post, and he scored on that posession. What's he supposed to do? Go out to the perimeter and demand the ball?

He played for the U19 team last year, and his coach was raving about Arthur, even saying he was better than Micheal F Beasley. This kid has talent, and it could be a huge break of luck for this franchise to have a shot at him.
Very nice post, I agree with pretty much everything. I'd hate to see us pass on a talent like him. He could be the biggest talent with star potential on the board at that point in the draft. Not many others will have that potential at the 12th pick.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm basing my evaluation of him on what he has the ability to do in the future. I know you're not high on him, that's fine - everyone likes someone different. I think the comparison to Moore is way off. Arthur has the ability to be better at every single aspect of the game than Moore (maybe apart from taking the charge ;)).

I did watch the Davidson game. All of it. I was paying particular interest to Arthur as I find him very intriguing. I also noticed how they wouldn't throw him the damn ball no matter how good of a position he got himself in. When he got the ball, good things happened most of the time. He made some very impressive moves around the basket and he shows nice touch. I didn't think he disappeared, he tried hard but they wouldn't pass him the ball. Kansas are an extremely guard-orientated team, even for college ball. On another team I think Arthur would be far more impressive.

I really don't agree with that. He has quite a nice skillset, especially for someone who's so athletic. Big athletic guys usually develop late as they've always been able to dominate with athleticism. Arthur has a nice handle for a big guy and is not afraid to use his moves. I think the main problem is he needs to be more agressive. He needs to demand the ball as it's the only way he'll get it off Kansas' chucker guards.

Re his rebounding, I don't think that'll be a problem on the next level. Hawes only averaged 6 and he's shown he can rebound the ball very well in the limited minutes he's got. With Arthurs athleticism and size he should be OK. He just needs to learn positioning and boxing out.
Hawes was a good rebounder in highschool, for however much that counts. In college he was recovering from a knee injury and it seemed to affect most of his game except his great passing. If you have talent down low and you don't get him the ball, either its because your guards are just plain stupid, or incapable of getting him the ball, or your a double team waiting to happen and don't have the passing skills to get out of it.
In fairness to Arthur, I've seen him make some very nice passes, so I'm not sure what the problem is. However, they don't seem to have confidence in him. I think Gary's problem with him is that he simply hasn't made his mark. If you look at Stanford who has the Lopez brothers, and, In my opinon very bad guards by comparison to the other elite teams, has similar breakdowns. But in the end, when the game is on the line, guess where the ball goes. You got it, to Brook Lopez. Why? Because the team knows that he's the best player on the floor. Not so with Arthur. Why? I honestly don't know.

My opinion on who the Kings draft. I agree with Larry. I think that Petrie is always looking for a diamond in the rough, and he seems to have a propensity for small schools. Therefore Jason Thompson is my choice, unless of course someone who can't miss falls into our lap for some reason. I don't really think there's a can't miss player in this draft, except maybe for Rose. And I talking about star material only. There are a lot of ( there's that word again ) potential stars in the draft. Anyway, Thompson has just about everything that people are looking for except a pedigree from a big college. 6'11" , athletic, with a decent skill set. Polished? Not by a longshot.But he was the first and the last option on his team. Not saying alot, because he was the team. However he outplayed, in my opinion, Beasley when they were matched up. He was just bigger and stronger. Beasley was quicker, and I still think that Beasley would be an all star SF. I think that Thompson has a lot of upside, and already has a good idea of how to play the game. He has soft hands, and has shown the ability to pass out of the double team.

Another player I liked, coming into this year, is Jordan, but I'm very disappointed in his results. I don't know what the problem was on his team but he simply wasn't the focal point, so its hard to get a read on him.
Sorry for my rambling. Its just a conscious stream of worthless thoughts. Well, you get what you pay for.

Last edited:

OK, well From about the 10 minute mark in the first half Arthur played one hell of a game.. He was doing everything, and I mean EVERYTHING out there except blocking shots, scoring, rebounding, and defending. ;)

OK maybe a little defending. If Arthur did that for the Kings (grabbed 2pts, and no boards) in 20+ minutes He would be ostracized. Especially if it was an important game.. If we had five players on the floor in 20+ minutes that had 10 points and 0 boards we would be down 85-10..

I try to look past the stats man I really do because I actually see him playing out there too, but it's really hard to when you watch him doing nothing, and see the box score that verifies the kid did nothing.

I am not the only one that thinks this way either because Arthur has officially fell off the map according to the draft sites.. He might be treading into the 2nd round if Kansas wins the championship which is unheard of for a team that goes that far in the tournament..

Hawes was a good rebounder in highschool, for however much that counts. In college he was recovering from a knee injury and it seemed to affect most of his game except his great passing.
Actually, he missed one game due to a left ankle injury. But this had to affect his strength, stamina and energy.:eek:

http://gohuskies.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/hawes_spencer00.html

Hawes lost 20 pounds while battling a stomach virus the entire month of January

Actually, he missed one game due to a left ankle injury. But this had to affect his strength, stamina and energy.:eek:

http://gohuskies.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/hawes_spencer00.html

Yah I remember him being sick too.. That had a lot to do with his production for sure...

I remember this too "Blocked six shots against Sacramento State (Nov. 19)."

LOL Sac State will always suck until they get out of the Big Sky.. Big Sky gets one bid a year, and that bid is pretty much a 15-16 seed. The only way that recruits will ever come to Sac State is if we move to a better conference.

I don't understand all the excuses made for Arthur. He's long with great athleticism, and a decent skill set, but he's just an ok basketball player. He may look like Amare Stoudemire, but Amare would have averaged 25 ppg with 10 boards in college. He would have been an animal, Arthur is missing that.

He's a good quick defender for a big man, I don't know how he is in the post, but watching him hedge out on screens and recover is impressive. That's a real NBA skill. He's not a good rebounder and he's just an ok offensive player. He has a nice jumper for a big man, but has no passing ability, turns the ball over a lot, and doesn't score very efficiently for a college big man. He scores 1.3 points per shot, Hansbrough 1.68, Beasley 1.5, Love 1.69, Thompson 1.41. Those guys are much more of a focal point for their offenses too, so the efficiency is even more impressive.

Has anyone heard of Lester Hudson? I was looking over the full mock draft on draftexpress and it has us taking him with our 2nd second round pick. It's quite an interesting bio, kind of sounds like kmarts, big time scorer from a tiny school. Petrie loves those kind of guys.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
He had a knee procedure done prior to the season and missed the pre-season game.
Yeah, I knew about that, my point is that his knee was probably bothering him, for him to have surgery on it. You've got to cut me some slack. I can't remember what I had for breakfast, much less where I heard some info. I have some friends that live in Tacoma who are basketball junkies. They turned me on to Hawes before he entered college. Anyway, he had a full plate in his first year and struggled through it. He's a tough kid..

OK, well From about the 10 minute mark in the first half Arthur played one hell of a game.. He was doing everything, and I mean EVERYTHING out there except blocking shots, scoring, rebounding, and defending. ;)

OK maybe a little defending. If Arthur did that for the Kings (grabbed 2pts, and no boards) in 20+ minutes He would be ostracized. Especially if it was an important game.. If we had five players on the floor in 20+ minutes that had 10 points and 0 boards we would be down 85-10..

I try to look past the stats man I really do because I actually see him playing out there too, but it's really hard to when you watch him doing nothing, and see the box score that verifies the kid did nothing.

I am not the only one that thinks this way either because Arthur has officially fell off the map according to the draft sites.. He might be treading into the 2nd round if Kansas wins the championship which is unheard of for a team that goes that far in the tournament..
:rolleyes:

There is no way Arthur slips to the 2nd. His stock may have fallen, but athletic, skilled guys are always taken high. Not to mention the fact that Arthurs measurables at the combine and pre-draft camps will have him shoot up the board again. With his size and jumping ability he is sure to rise a nice few spots.
Unfortunately, I don't think he's Geoffs type of pick.

Gary, I really think you need to look past the stats. I know you're trying, but look what happens the majority of the time he gets the ball. We've seen his turnaround and his spin moves etc. We know he has talent. We know he's an athletic freak. I blame the KU system. They don't dump the ball down to him enough and it's very much a guard orientated team with Chalmers, Rush etc. all taking the majority of the shots. Remember, this is not about what a player can do now at the college level, it's about what they may be able to do down the line in the NBA. And I think Arthur has the ability to be a pretty special player if developed right.

Come on though... What does Arthur have besides potential and athleticism that makes him viable? There are 100 guys in college that have potential and athleticism. Only reason Arthur is rated up there is because of his highschool stats, and because he was a highly sought after recruit. So Double your :rolleyes::rolleyes: because we know which one of us is doing the research. Second round is probably not going to happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if he either;
A) stays in college
B) gets drafted at about #20-25

We can make a draft day friendly bet if you would like? You know what a signature bet is?

Last edited: