Kings Select in the 2008 NBA DRAFT??

I have said that UCLA has the 4th ranked defense in the NCAA D1, and still nobody listens. I know his one on one defense was suspect (even though he kicked butt tonight), but I doubt after this tournament that he will be available anyway.. We might get stuck with a guy like Arthur or Thabeet. If that's the case I think we should go after a PG.. Rose, Bayless, Collison, Augustin, and Lawson are all going to be serviceable PGs at the next level..

Rose, Bayless, and probably Augustin are probably going to be gone though. After seeing Collison play tonight I've kinda changed my mind, I think we should take him or Arthur.

Rose, Bayless, and probably Augustin are probably going to be gone though. After seeing Collison play tonight I've kinda changed my mind, I think we should take him or Arthur.
Yah.. Rose is probably #2, or #3 depending on which team gets #2 and whether or not they have a PG, or if they need a big.. (Lopez is the other player that could go #2/#3). Bayless I have going to New York at #5, and Augustin to the Bulls at #10. I have Phoenix taking Gallinari at #11. But it it's NJ at #11 instead of Phoenix (Atlanta) then I see Phoenix probably taking a guy like Love. NJ has the worst PF/C combo in the league imo.. Kirstic has played liek crap this year, and Boone isn't really anything special.

I have a feeling though that Love is a Petrie kind of player.. I believe if he's available we take him. If not then we might take Collison or Lawson. Collison gets a ton of open looks, and he hits at 50% both 3pt, and fg%. He shoots almost 90%ft. He plays excellent D. He isn't the most athletic, so some believe he might be able to guard at the next level.. I kind of think it's hooey though. Collison should be fine.

Yah.. Rose is probably #2, or #3 depending on which team gets #2 and whether or not they have a PG, or if they need a big.. (Lopez is the other player that could go #2/#3). Bayless I have going to New York at #5, and Augustin to the Bulls at #10. I have Phoenix taking Gallinari at #11. But it it's NJ at #11 instead of Phoenix (Atlanta) then I see Phoenix probably taking a guy like Love. NJ has the worst PF/C combo in the league imo.. Kirstic has played liek crap this year, and Boone isn't really anything special.

I have a feeling though that Love is a Petrie kind of player.. I believe if he's available we take him. If not then we might take Collison or Lawson. Collison gets a ton of open looks, and he hits at 50% both 3pt, and fg%. He shoots almost 90%ft. He plays excellent D. He isn't the most athletic, so some believe he might be able to guard at the next level.. I kind of think it's hooey though. Collison should be fine.
I could see NJ taking Love for sure. He and Sean Will really compliment eachother skillset wise. Love is a great passer and post player, Williams is active, long, athletic, and would probably benefit from some of that interior passing. As a basketball fan I'd like to see that. For the next 10-15 years that's a good frontcourt. Williams would make up for Love's deficiencies also.

I'd be ok with Collison or Lawson. I think he's more athletic than people give him credit for(Collison). IIRC people were saying prior to the season he would really benefit from Love's outlet passes because of his quickness. That's enough athleticism from a PG IMO. Like you said the guy is also a good defender. I think he is getting his athleticism back after he battled with some knee or ankle problems at the beginning of the season IIRC(sprained knee but I'm not sure). He's a good shooter too.

I asked this question before but what does everyone think of JJ Hickson? I haven't really seen him play but I read he'll declare for sure and he's an athletic 6'9''ish PF. He seems to be a good rebounder also.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I could see NJ taking Love for sure. He and Sean Will really compliment eachother skillset wise. Love is a great passer and post player, Williams is active, long, athletic, and would probably benefit from some of that interior passing. As a basketball fan I'd like to see that. For the next 10-15 years that's a good frontcourt. Williams would make up for Love's deficiencies also.

I'd be ok with Collison or Lawson. I think he's more athletic than people give him credit for(Collison). IIRC people were saying prior to the season he would really benefit from Love's outlet passes because of his quickness. That's enough athleticism from a PG IMO. Like you said the guy is also a good defender. I think he is getting his athleticism back after he battled with some knee or ankle problems at the beginning of the season IIRC(sprained knee but I'm not sure). He's a good shooter too.

I asked this question before but what does everyone think of JJ Hickson? I haven't really seen him play but I read he'll declare for sure and he's an athletic 6'9''ish PF. He seems to be a good rebounder also.
I can't comment on Hickson. Haven't seen him play. I've liked what I've seen out of Collison the last few games. He's been clutch. I would have no problem taking him as I stated earlier. He's my second choice behind Augustin. I'm not sold on Lawson at this pt. He sort of reminds me of Augustin without a good outside shot. Or at least an erratic one at best.
I watch Augustin play and I have no doubt what so ever that he can play in the NBA, and play well. I just don't have that same feeling about Lawson. Just my gut, and I could be wrong.
I'm still going to go with Thompson over Arthur at this pt. He' has a little higher skill level and he's bigger. Not quite as athletic, but certainly a very good athlete.

Haven't seen him this year either with exception to Rider (oops) But I didn't actually keep an eye on him like I did Thompson so I haven't a clue.

Judging by his stats I guess he can rebound? He's listed as a PF/C so him lacking an outside game might scare me a bit. Plus he's listed at 6'9. Says he has a bit "upside" which scares me too. Maybe he will be available with our 2nd round pick..

Last edited:
I know Hibbert was in foul trouble most the game, but dang.. Hibbert is horrible.. Another player that is probably going to slip allowing Love to move up GRRRR..

Augustin had an OK game. Distributed the ball well.. Missed a FT badly at the end, but I believe his stock is rising the deeper Texas goes.

I know Hibbert was in foul trouble most the game, but dang.. Hibbert is horrible.. Another player that is probably going to slip allowing Love to move up GRRRR..

Augustin had an OK game. Distributed the ball well.. Missed a FT badly at the end, but I believe his stock is rising the deeper Texas goes.

I been saying that about Hibbert for like a year. The guy sucks and should've come out last year. He's a bust, stiff, etc.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Yah, he has like one good game, and two bad ones, then two good and one real bad.. So dang inconsistent.
I agree on Hibbert. He's like a big tease. Or cotton candy. Tastes good for a minute and then its gone.
Gary, I'm interested in what you think of Thompson. I've had a chance to see him three times this year. He's not nearly as skilled as Love, but I honestly don't think that Love will drop to us, which is why I took him off my wish list.

anyone else completely sold on mayo? i want this guy on the kings bad .. i might be in the minority here but i think he can play PG in the nba and dominate on the offensive end, hes strong, good size ( for a pg ) and super quick .. heres to hoping hes around when we pick.. here is why a few spots up in the draft ( a few more losses ) would be huge.

I agree on Hibbert. He's like a big tease. Or cotton candy. Tastes good for a minute and then its gone.
Gary, I'm interested in what you think of Thompson. I've had a chance to see him three times this year. He's not nearly as skilled as Love, but I honestly don't think that Love will drop to us, which is why I took him off my wish list.

I have seen a couple regular season games early in the year a couple times in the conference playoffs (when ESPN was switching between games) and in the NIT I saw parts of the game when they would switch back.. So I don't have a whole lot to go on, but one thing I really did notice is that it's a lot like the K-State situation with Beasley. You take Thompson out of the mix and Rider would not have been a good team. They might have been average at best.

He did well against K-State and Beasley outscoring him, but his team lost. Also against NC State (the other game that was on ESPN) he gathered a ton of boards, but a lot of them were from his own misses inside, or his teams misses. You could tell when the games really mattered he would step up. The problem is his teammates wouldn't (or couldn't). He's a decent inside player out to about 12-15ft, and is tenacious on the offensive boards which is good because a lot of the put backs he has to have 2-3 attempts in order to make them.

It's a case of Thompson collecting a lot of his teams stats because the rest of the team is not made to play big. You have Ryan Thompson out there with him, and that's pretty much it. No true PG, and no true C. So Thompson sees a lot of rebound attempts, and a lot of inside scoring opportunities. Do I think he will bring it into the NBA? Yes I do. He is good.. But he will need to improve his range out to about 18ft, and will need to hit the weights a bit. He has good instinct on the boards. He sticks with the ball when shooting. When playing in big games he brings his "A" game, but the rest of his team brings their "C" game. So he can step it up if needed.

anyone else completely sold on mayo? i want this guy on the kings bad .. i might be in the minority here but i think he can play PG in the nba and dominate on the offensive end, hes strong, good size ( for a pg ) and super quick .. heres to hoping hes around when we pick.. here is why a few spots up in the draft ( a few more losses ) would be huge.

Mayo probably won't be available. Clippers need a guard with Mobley getting old, and them being w/o a PG. Mayo is an amazing talent. I think top 3, although he probably will go 5th or 6th. Knicks need a superstar potential to build around too. I would feel sorry if he had to go to NY though.

Do we have chance to pick Kevin Love? he is what Kings need for the post

Good question.. Not sure. If he keeps playing well than no.

You have Charlotte wanting to keep Wallace/Richardson at SG/SF, Felton at PG, and Okafor at C... Morrison is back next year which puts a fly in the ointment, and oft injured Sean May..

Indiana has a injured and aging O'Neal, Foster who can't score along with a dissapointing Murphy.

Chicago has a young PF/C in Noah, and a kind of young PF in Gooden who has actually played pretty much on par since the trade which is a plus, and a minus. Is all Gooden will ever give you a 13/8? Does Chicago go after a PG instead and try to move Hinrich?

New Jersey needs a big man. Boone, Kristic, Diop, Swift, and Williams haven't got it done this year. With Harris, Carter, and Hamilton they have their PG/SG/SF set.

Last edited:
I think the draft boards are underrating him right now. He's an athlete with legit PF size who really produced in the ACC this year. If he does come out, he should be in consideration for our pick and if we don't take him I think he'll be picked close to where we're at.

Looking at scouting reports, measurements and stats, why isn't he rated higher than Darrell Arthur?

I think the draft boards are underrating him right now. He's an athlete with legit PF size who really produced in the ACC this year. If he does come out, he should be in consideration for our pick and if we don't take him I think he'll be picked close to where we're at.

Looking at scouting reports, measurements and stats, why isn't he rated higher than Darrell Arthur?
Not sure.. He plays for a bad program. I actually have seen him play once when they played Rider, but I don;t even remember seeing Hickson. That's how "under the radar" he was at the start of the year. I didn't even think of watching him. 16-6 in 20 minutes against Thompson's 24-15. Not bad, but not great?

J

jdbraver

Bruin fan here so you can appreciate my comment. I love Collison of course, but he may be a little small guarding other pgs. But, Mayo has NBA written all over him. He has the athletic quality and is a great competitor. I hope I don't have to watch him in a USC uniform another year.

I don't see how you can pigeon hole Randolph into the SF position. At this point whether he is a SF or PF depends on what he focuses on. He's easily got the size and length to be a PF, he's got shot blocking ability, and he has rebounded well at the college level (take it for what it's worth). He'd definitely be a perimeter oriented PF like Bosh, but that's the kind of potential we can really use. Also, what would be so bad if he turned into an all-star SF? Do we have that positioned locked up? Not from where I'm sitting.
Exactly. Randolph should focus on the SF skill and forget about being a PF. He ain't got the strenght to bang down low and he is never going to. If a guy is skinnier than the cheerleaders he ain't cut out to be a 4, period. Some of y'all talk about gaining 30 pounds of muscle as if it's a piece of cake. I'm sure he will put on weight, but it ain't going to be 30 pounds anytime soon. How many pounds did Miki Moore, Keon Clark, or Darius Miles gained in their career? In fact, how many guys entered the league as beanpoles but ended up looking like Chris Webber in his prime? None that I can think of.

On the other hand, Randolph is athletic and has a good handle. So it only make sense for him to focus on the SF position. He can be a combo forward but he should be a combo forward that brings SF skill to the table like a Travis Outlaw or Lamar Odom.

I'm not againsted drafting Randolph (though I'm not completely sold on him), but the point is he ain't the ideal PF that we're looking for.

I haven't seen Hickson but DX said he has no left hand, no jumpers, and is a tad undersized at between 6'8 and 6'9? If that's true I can't say I'm that excited about him. But then again,I never saw him played.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I know we already have too many guys that can play the two, but I rewatched the W. Kentucky game again and I'm very impressed with Courtney Lee, a 6'5" 2 guard. This guy is a deadly shooter who, could slip into the second round. Hard to say, because he's making a name for himself in the tourny so far. Contrary to draft.net, I found him to be a pretty good passer and a good ball handler. He plays pretty good defense, however it looked like W. Kentucky played a zone most of the time.

I believe they play UCLA next. Ought to be fun to watch. UCLA should win on defense and a superior inside game.

I know we already have too many guys that can play the two, but I rewatched the W. Kentucky game again and I'm very impressed with Courtney Lee, a 6'5" 2 guard. This guy is a deadly shooter who, could slip into the second round. Hard to say, because he's making a name for himself in the tourny so far. Contrary to draft.net, I found him to be a pretty good passer and a good ball handler. He plays pretty good defense, however it looked like W. Kentucky played a zone most of the time.

I believe they play UCLA next. Ought to be fun to watch. UCLA should win on defense and a superior inside game.

Funny you should say that because do you remember Ricky Minard? That's who he reminded me of when watching him.. Although Lee has a better outside game than Minard. They play surprisingly similar though.

I'm not sure who I prefer more between Augustin and Collison. Collison is a better defender, but Augustin seems to have a better driving game. People knock Collisons athleticism, but is it really that bad? To me he seems very quick.

I haven't seen Hickson but DX said he has no left hand, no jumpers, and is a tad undersized at between 6'8 and 6'9? If that's true I can't say I'm that excited about him. But then again,I never saw him played.
I don't know about the undersized part, but the other things are fixable. The fact that he has been productive as a Freshman with a few glaring skill weaknesses is impressive. I'm not saying he needs to be our pick, I just think that when all is said and done he'll be drafted in the teens and not the 20's.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure who I prefer more between Augustin and Collison. Collison is a better defender, but Augustin seems to have a better driving game. People knock Collisons athleticism, but is it really that bad? To me he seems very quick.
He's very quick and very fast. I think when he gets to the NBA you're going to see how quick and fast he really is.

I'm stuck on those two as well. I like Augustin's current play as well as potential...but part of me would rather want Collison.

I like his quickness and defense...as well as his shooting ability (a GP draft pick hallmark). I think it'd be a great asset to have Collison come off the bench and play lockdown defense while dishing out 9 pts 3 ast per game. Our team needs more defensive-minded players...

From what I know about the draft, I think this is our safest bet at #12.

Collison is "quick" but not athletic.. Well To you and me he is, but you get the point. He's very quick off the dribble, and is very quick when defending i.e. staying in front of his man.

As for Augustin he has better PG abilities like passing, and ball control, but not as quick, and about the same athleticism. If you had to compare two PGs in this draft it would have to be Augustin, and Lawson. They are almost mirror images of eachother with the exception that Lawson is a bit more athletic.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'm stuck on those two as well. I like Augustin's current play as well as potential...but part of me would rather want Collison.

I like his quickness and defense...as well as his shooting ability (a GP draft pick hallmark). I think it'd be a great asset to have Collison come off the bench and play lockdown defense while dishing out 9 pts 3 ast per game. Our team needs more defensive-minded players...

From what I know about the draft, I think this is our safest bet at #12.
I agree that right now it looks like Collison will be the SPA (safest player available) at 12. There may be a few raw prospects available who will pan out better, but it's impossible to say which ones will succeed and which will flop. Collison is lightning-quick and a good defender and a guy who leaves nothing on the floor. He just plays his heart out. He's got a good spot-up jumper and shoots lights out from the college three (51% this year - seems he rarely takes a contested three or passes up an open one). Plus he's got a nice teardrop floater in the lane and is automatic from the line.

Seeing as we could use a point guard, Collison is probably a great option at #12. If someone like Jordan or Love or Mayo somehow falls it would tough to pass on those guys, but outside of that I'm not sure who else we would want there unless we like Augustin better. Maybe Randolph, if we think he can fill out to a 4? Batum and Alexander don't do much for us unless we get rid of Ron, but they're probably Petrie's kind of guys so you never know.