Justin Williams and Dahntay Jones to be cut

Justin Williams hype is so weird. The guy couldn't make a layup if his life depended on it. Nice defensive presence but having to play 4 on 5 on the offensive the ball was never any fun.

Im sure people are going to cite the Rockets game, but Artest did do most of the heavy lifting on the offensive side.

Justin and Dahntay were not seeing lots of time anyway. I'd just as soon see Shelden Williams as Justin Willliams.
Yeah, but that's not the issue. The issue is whether you'd rather see someone, who we got with a second round pick, but weren't interested in keeping on the payroll for vet's minimum, now that he's 33 and ready to retire. Because that's what we're getting. Brace yourself for the breathtaking excitement that will bring to Arco.

People have wanted a shake-up and now we've got it. You can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs.
That's true.

But it's a perfectly reasonable, and natural, response to at least comment on the broken shells and dried up egg whites that are crusting on the countertops.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Sorry but I respectfully disagree... We've now made the first "cut" by trading Mike Bibby for expirings, a #5 draftee and a second round pick in 2009. We have kids that will provide excitement on the court and we'll be able to let go of the expirings at the end of the year, giving us even MORE room for further change.

Justin and Dahntay were not seeing lots of time anyway. I'd just as soon see Shelden Williams as Justin Willliams. Dahntay wasn't PG material and I can live with seeing Beno start with Lue off the bench if needs be.

People have wanted a shake-up and now we've got it. You can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs.
Howqever, we just randomly took some eggs and threw them against the wall.

Its really not that hard. Cutting Justin and Dahntay was 100% not necessary. We had a clear, perfectly normal, no extra cost alternative (cut two of the incomings).

Wright, Johnson, Lue, Justin and Dahntay are all ending contracts. So given that they are all ending contracts, have no use in sign and trade, and retianing their rights is only useful if you plan on resigning them, all you had to choose was ANY 2 of those 5 guys to cut. Any of them. Makes no difference to us financially or for the future except in potentially resigning one of them. And by all rights the guys you should resign would be the young guys. So given those 5 guys, why cut the two young ones and keep the three old ones? When you are in our position? The older guys are proven NBA vets, but that doesn't get us anywhere. There are different rules for rebuilding teams vs. contending teams.

Again, this wouold change if we were to swing one or more of those players off to some contending team for a pick or whatnot.

Last edited:
Petrie may have actually done Justin and Dahntay a big favor by letting them go now. And, if so, it wouldn't be the first time.
I would like to think that this at least partially factored into the equation. If I recall correctly, when Jones signed here he mentioned that he choose the Kings because of the opportunity it represented (because of the injuries on the Kings at the time). With him firmly entrenched at the end of the bench he wasn't going to get any exposure. By letting them go now, it gives both players a chance to move on.

Entity

Hall of Famer
We can trade one of the incoming guys but, they can't be paired with anybody else in the trade right? so we could trade say Anthony Johnson to Miami for a pick. We just can't trade AJ and Wright together or Lou.

Why get too upset about guys who will filling seats on the bench. I understand the logic of the argument being made.....but were talkin' scrubs here.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think before we get too worked up over who we got and who we cut, we need to wait and see how it all plays out. I like Justin, but he was an offensive libility and probably wasn't going to get many minutes anyway.

I also think that Petrie wants to see if Sheldon is a keeper or not. That would mean even less chance for Justin to get minutes. Jones is an energy player, but really doesn't have and outside shot. Like it or not, Petrie likes polished offensive players. Jones doesn't fall into that catagory.

The complexion of this team is going to change a lot over the next two years, and this is just the beginning. Reggie is going to have a very interesting time.

Then again, if Geoff expected to be able to unload any of the Hawks' expirings, it wouldn't make much sense to apply for waivers on other players now. The NBA probably won't even look at those waivers until Monday, and the deadline's Friday. So I suspect that we'll be keeping all those old scrubs until the end of the year.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Then again, if Geoff expected to be able to unload any of the Hawks' expirings, it wouldn't make much sense to apply for waivers on other players now. The NBA probably won't even look at those waivers until Monday, and the deadline's Friday. So I suspect that we'll be keeping all those old scrubs until the end of the year.
True, also. Jones and Williams are officially gone by being put on waivers. We had to get rid of them to be able to make the trade that netted us ....... well, what did it net us?

As much as it pains me to say, I think Beno ran the team better than Bibby and if there was a rift between Bibby and Artest - all the chatter in the past - that problem is solved. We might have acquired a better power forward. The Maloofs saved a little money.

I'm very disappointed and I'm a Petrie fan. There is another possibility that is part of Petrie's plan but I want my manhood to remain intact and the answer will come soon enough by Petrie's actions.

Not really, he isnt much to behold on the offensive end either...BUT its his defense, hustle and rebounding that will warm the hearts of many Kings fans like myself for years to come.:)
His defense may eventually endear us to him, but it's probably the sort of rugged post hold your fort sort of defense as opposed to jump at everything blocking shots energetic mania that Justin infused on our team. As many others have commented, Shelden's pretty mechanical, robust and slow, although his natural physical tools and defensive IQ render sort of balance it to at least make him a slightly above average defensive player in the NBA, as for now. Whether he continues to masquerade his limitations of height and robustness as the years go by is anyone's guess.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Why get too upset about guys who will filling seats on the bench. I understand the logic of the argument being made.....but were talkin' scrubs here.
Because Justin was the most athletic big man we have seen in Sacramento since Webbers first few years. It got us excited to see him blocking shots and getting rebounds at a rapid pace. So we just hate to see him being gone. Id rather Wright be cut at least and keep Justin around because you can always use a young athletic rebounder and shot blocker where as the aging slow un-athltic Wright is a dime and dozen here in Sacto.

Howqever, we just randomly took some eggs and threw them against the wall.

Its really not that hard. Cutting Justin and Dahntay was 100% not necessary. We had a clear, perfectly normal, no extra cost alternative (cut two of the incomings).

Wright, Johnson, Lue, Justin and Dahntay are all ending contracts. So given that they are all ending contracts, have no use in sign and trade, and retianing their rights is only useful if you plan on resigning them, all you had to choose was ANY 2 of those 5 guys to cut. Any of them. Makes no difference to us financially or for the future except in potentially resigning one of them. And by all rights the guys you should resign would be the young guys. So given those 5 guys, why cut the two young ones and keep the three old ones? When you are in our position? The older guys are proven NBA vets, but that doesn't get us anywhere. There are different rules for rebuilding teams vs. contending teams.

Again, this wouold change if we were to swing one or more of those players off to some contending team for a pick or whatnot.
Agree completely.

Also, if I understand correctly, since we can't club them with any of our players, I think the only way we can trade them is to either take back salary (might be ok, if it's for a young guy), or to a team under the cap. The latter is very difficult, since there might be just a team or two under the cap, and they won't really be contenders to give up an asset for a shot at the title.

I'm for the trade. It saves a ton of salary and gets us a big man who's only been in the league a year and a half. People call this guy a bust and are waiting for (six year vet) Nene to suddenly become a superstar. Shelden is still young enough that he could be a good player.

Back on topic, I don't see why we need two crap backup point guards rather than holding on to Justin Williams or Jones. And keeping both point guards makes no sense if you're going to try developing Douby.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
There is a part of the salary cap rules that is not clear to me. Can we pull off the Bibby trade without cutting two people first? Can we, even for a nanosecond, have 17 on the Kings' roster?

We have been assuming that two of the players that were to come from Atlanta could have been cut on the same day they were acquired and that this would be OK. Perhaps it is NOT OK. That means putting two Kings on waivers and seeing how that process unfolds was necessary before the trade could occur.

I originally assumed that two of the four could have been cut and that would have been within the rules as to the maximum number of people the Kings had on their roster. But if they can't be cut until they were on the Kings roster, two Kings had to be cut first. If two Kings weren't cut in some fashion, there would have been a moment in time when the Kings roster had 17 people and that clearly is not within the rules.

This would explain why we had to keep "two crap backup point guards rather than holding on to Justin Williams or Jones."

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think you're right, Glenn, and it certainly explains why Dahntay and Justin are on waivers NOW before the trade is actually concluded. There have to be roster spots available for all incoming players in order for the trade to be approved. Without waiving Jones and Williams, those open roster slots do not exist.

Nice catch.

I think you're right, Glenn, and it certainly explains why Dahntay and Justin are on waivers NOW before the trade is actually concluded. There have to be roster spots available for all incoming players in order for the trade to be approved. Without waiving Jones and Williams, those open roster slots do not exist.

Nice catch.
Hopefully that is the explaination. If so, I also hope that two of the incoming guys are waived, and Justin and Dahanty resigned (even if they are just warming the bench, and shall cost additional money).

Dahntay,

Thanks for your spark that you brought in your short time here in Sac.

Justin,

I believe in you, and I think you just need more minutes. Go out there and keep developing. Make the Kings organization regret the day they let you get away.

I figured that Justin would be cut, I didn’t think we were going to do anything with him after the year and he needs to work on his shot. But I’m kinda disappointed with cutting Dahntay Jones. He brought this energy out there on the court. But I guess this is a business and people will get cut and since Dahntay wasn’t getting utilized after the return of Ron and Mike, I guess it was to be expected. Good luck to the both of them.

Not sure if this could be true but since the kings were over the maximum players they could have did they have to drop Justin and Dantay before they could sign all of those players, and they possibly might just resign them after its all complete-and drop two of the players we acquired? I was thinking that could be a possibility, and have heard others say the same thing on different message boards? Just a thought.

These two were casualties because they were the easiest to cut, and also because we needed to trim that 17 down to 15 prior to the trade, as opposed to their actual talents.

Hopefully Dahntay gets another job somewhere. I was surprised he didn't draw more interest over the offseason after he put a career-best 7 ppg for underwater Memphis last year, and he does have that strength/athleticism profile for a two-guard as well as a defense/hustle reputation. I guess that sort of reputation simply doesn't get paid much, or even recognized much, in the league. But seeing what he did here, with his ability to infuse energy with spurts of solid D and his ability to fill the lanes in the fastbreak and get to the line, and overall produce when his name was called, should land greater interest in him down the line. Probably a fringe NBA player, but has the physical attributes to cut it.

Justin Williams--I don't know if he gets any recognition for his usefulness apart from us Kings fans--although Houston may have noticed a couple of nights ago--but he definitely has the shotblocking and rebounding ability to cut it in this league. Those rebounds per 48 minutes, despite his lack of gameplay and lack of overall playing time, are absolutely phenomenal--I seriously believe the guy, despite being 6'9"ish or a tip over 6'10", has the tools to be a dominant rebounder in the league. The fact that he can also disrupt well with his energy and leaping ability bodes well for his stealing/shotblocking numbers given minutes. I think he's a definite NBA talent, and although he's shown flashes with us, the chance simply wasn't there because he was on the bottom of our PF hierarchy. I think he will draw some looks around the league, and if not, he can definitely reprove himself in someone's summer league or training camp and more than likely earn a spot.