Justin Williams and Dahntay Jones to be cut

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Word is that Justin and Dahntay are being cut to make room for the new players from the Bibby trade.

I've created this thread for discussion of that part of the deal. I've also created another "thank you" thread to thank Justin and Dahntay and wish them good luck in their futures.

And we thought All-Star Weekend was going to be boring.

;)

Thats not fair. These guys have been here all season. I'd rather see Anthony Johnson cut so he can go play with a team that needs him. Dahntay Jones, IMO, hasn't really done much except inject energy here and there. But Justin Williams? After the game he just had? Oh well. He's been here for about a season and a half.

hey .. just wonderin where you herd it would be these two players?

cutting jwill makes a sence just because we have shelden .. they are the same player but shelden is better now and has potential to be better in the future.. plus the other contacts can be used as expirings for other deals.

I was about to say, Jones and J.Williams would probably be cut because their contracts are smaller. Instead of paying out the millions it would take to cut some of the new guys, you could just give Jones and Williams whatever you owe them and be on our way.

Playing Justin the last game now looks like a last hurrah or a last look at what he could do.

Maybe, but I don't see why Geoff didn't just attach these guys to the trade. We wouldn't have to pay them, they get an NBA team to play for, and salaries would still work out. Oh well.

J Will is going to be cut because he wasn't getting any PT. and now you throw Shelden into the mix? I wish this wasn't the case. J-Will could be another one of those solid young players that we let go of.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Word is that Justin and Dahntay are being cut to make room for the new players from the Bibby trade.

I've created this thread for discussion of that part of the deal. I've also created another "thank you" thread to thank Justin and Dahntay and wish them good luck in their futures.

And we thought All-Star Weekend was going to be boring.

;)

Now THIS actually pisses me off.

Was just telling my brother this is what they might do, and saying that they would be idiots to do it. Sure enough. The original move is fine. But now you just traded Mike Bibby & two useful roleplaying young defensive minded athletes for 3 old farts and a stubby dude to be named later. Meanwhile Kenny and SAR and Mikki continue drawing pension and sucking the marrow from our bones.

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer

Was just telling my brother this is what they might do, and saying that they would be idiots to do it. Sure enough. The original move is fine. But now you just traded Mike Bibby & two useful roleplaying young defensive minded athletes for 3 old farts and a stubby dude to be named later. Meanwhile Kenny and SAR and Mikki continue drawing pension and sucking the marrow from our bones.
I agree wholeheartedly with this. The deal actually begins to look bad if Justin and Dahntay are cut. I can't see the sense of it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm still excited for the future. Justin Williams and Dahntay Jones were the most easily cut - and they were gone at the end of the year anyway. Without checking, I also think they were the cheapest to get rid of.

Yeah. This is no longer rebuild material, it's just dumping players to cut costs. The kids are obviously more useful than the worthless codgers we picked up, but waiving the worthless codgers would have meant cutting some larger checks now, rather than stretching out the payments for a couple more months. I wanted a team with some hope for the future, not just a team that's as cheap as possible.

I really can't adequately express my disgust with this on a family-friendly forum, so I'll end this post now.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Petrie may have actually done Justin and Dahntay a big favor by letting them go now. And, if so, it wouldn't be the first time.

We've moved a huge contract for smaller ones that are expiring. That's pretty much what a lot of people around here have been screaming for. To think it wouldn't end up being at least partially painful in some way would be incredibly naive, IMHO.

Petrie may have actually done Justin and Dahntay a big favor by letting them go now. And, if so, it wouldn't be the first time.

We've moved a huge contract for smaller ones that are expiring. That's pretty much what a lot of people around here have been screaming for. To think it wouldn't end up being at least partially painful in some way would be incredibly naive, IMHO.
Yeah, I would think it probably would be a good move for the two of them...ala Gerald Wallace. Who knows, though.

Actually unless we get significant cap space this offseason, trading Bibby for expirings really does not but save the Maloofs money next year.

I will be a somewhat surprised if either Justin Williams or Dahntay Jones get picked up by an NBA team for the remained of this season. Jones was sitting around out there when the Kings found him after Memphis had let him go. Williams is a D-League project so that's most likely where he's headed. The only other current Kings player with comparable salary (around $800,000) is Beno Ulrih who just increased likely-hood that Petrie is looking to re-sign him as a free agent after this season.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

The obvious point is that it was completely 100% unnecessarily so. You can cut the old guys you are acquiring just as easily, they too will only be here a couple of months. Nor are any of them sign and trade material -- they are all sub MLE players, so its not as if retaining their rights matetrs to us (unless we were going to resign them in which case Geoff should be slapped silly with a rottiing halibut).

Minor issue, but when you are rebuiding ans the choice is between keeping 2 25 year old guys or 2 33 yr old guys, the 25 yr olds should trump. There is not a sane Kings fan who is going to be excited to see a bunch of 30-something rent a scrubbies wandering around the court for the next few months.

Only proviso becomes if we somwhow immediately swing these guys (pre-deadline) for something else. Does not seem likely though.

Actually unless we get significant cap space this offseason, trading Bibby for expirings really does not but save the Maloofs money next year.
It does if Bibby were to decide to exercise his player option this June, which seemed likely.

By itself, though, that is not useful to anyone but the Maloofs.

It's all about cutting salaries. While I don't agree with it, neither were getting time, and probably didn't look to be in our future anyway.

So... next year (barring any more trades) we have S.Williams, Miller, Martin, Salmons, SAR, KT, Moore, Garcia, Douby, and Hawes...

Think we will sign Beno now, and draft a PG..

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The obvious point is that it was completely 100% unnecessarily so. You can cut the old guys you are acquiring just as easily, they too will only be here a couple of months. Nor are any of them sign and trade material -- they are all sub MLE players, so its not as if retaining their rights matetrs to us (unless we were going to resign them in which case Geoff should be slapped silly with a rottiing halibut).

Minor issue, but when you are rebuiding ans the choice is between keeping 2 25 year old guys or 2 33 yr old guys, the 25 yr olds should trump. There is not a sane Kings fan who is going to be excited to see a bunch of 30-something rent a scrubbies wandering around the court for the next few months.

Only proviso becomes if we somwhow immediately swing these guys (pre-deadline) for something else. Does not seem likely though.
Sorry but I respectfully disagree... We've now made the first "cut" by trading Mike Bibby for expirings, a #5 draftee and a second round pick in 2009. We have kids that will provide excitement on the court and we'll be able to let go of the expirings at the end of the year, giving us even MORE room for further change.

Justin and Dahntay were not seeing lots of time anyway. I'd just as soon see Shelden Williams as Justin Willliams. Dahntay wasn't PG material and I can live with seeing Beno start with Lue off the bench if needs be.

People have wanted a shake-up and now we've got it. You can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs.

Wow, this looks like a team that can get the Kings into the playoffs next year. :rolleyes:
I wouldnt look at it in terms of NEXT year...but the 09'-10' season(seems like a long time away, but really only 1 1/2 seasons). We'll have a bunch of money to play with in 1 1/2 years. Should be interesting to see what we do with a couple of our young guys between now and then, though(Garcia/Douby most notable)