Shelden Williams

Everyone knows how I feel regarding Shelden Williams.

I wanted this guy just because Atlanta wasn't playing him. He is a GREAT rebounder, and can block shots. He's not a center but a PF. At 6'9 he is about an inch shorter than the normal PF, but his long arms more than make up for it.

ALSO, during the combine he benched 185lbs 25 times (making him one of the strongest players in the draft). 29" standing vertical and 33.5" max vertical. Not bad..

Last season at the end of the year Williams averaged;
8 games at 32mpg near the end of the season.
12.75ppg 11.75rpg 1.25apg 2.0spg 1.0bpg 59%fg 65%ft

I think he's worth a look.. Plus we shed a lot of salary.

Welcome to Sac Williams! I hope you get a chance to show what you can do in the PF position!

think of Williams as a REAL polished version of Justin Williams who is decent of the defensive end. He can also score inside. Not much range on his jumper but a damn good offensive rebounder/putback type guy who can give us 5-7ppg just on putbacks alone.

Not saying he's a savior, but he is DEFINITELY worth a look.

Another plus to this trade is that we shed Johnson, Lue, and Wright at the end of the year. Not bad at all.

Last edited:

piksi

Hall of Famer
I will remain sceptical until proven otherwise. I think that he is too short and that we have too many players like that

I like Shelden too.
He brings what we need.. Hustle, Rebs, Blks. Most importantly if we keep him around his style of play compliments Hawes style. He had a great career in Duke so I'm not doubting this kids potential either.

I will remain sceptical until proven otherwise. I think that he is too short and that we have too many players like that
I agree he is a bit short, but check out his wingspan (7'2" wingspan). Stand him next to any 6'11 guy and he will have a higher reach. What he lacks in height he makes up in strength.. The guy is huge, and powerful..

The height issue is only an inch, and personally I would rather a guy like Williams who is 6'9 raising his arms in defense than a 6'10 guy with 3" shorter reach.

Last edited:
He's not a great rebounder, and he's not like Justin Williams, except that he's undersized. He's strong and a hard worker, but I'm really skeptical. You're right that he played well at the end of last season, so maybe there's some potential there. Hard to see him getting too many minutes in Sacramento though, unless Miller or Moore are moved -- look how few Hawes and Williams are getting.

Besides all the positives that have been said I like that he's a DUKE grad. Very well coached, smart, solid skill set, great NBA body, although a bit small at his position. May be the only one of the 4 we've added that sticks for awhile in Sac.

Think of Williams as a rich mans Corliss Williamson type player (who the fans love for his hustle) but with a couple inches of height on him, and can rebound, and block shots. We will fall in love with his hustle, and great play around the basket.

That's the best description I can come up with re: Williams. I had watched him at Duke (not so much in Atlanta because he didn't get a chance) and he was a tremendous force.

Mikki Moore turned me into a believer for his hustle, and overall enthusiasm. I ended up removing me "Mikki was a horrible signing" because I thought Mikki was doing as well as he can, and when getting a PF could come off the bench and play well. Well.... Shelden provides everything Mikki does, and more. A LOT more.

Think of Williams as a rich mans Corliss Williamson type player (who the fans love for his hustle) but with a couple inches of height on him, and can rebound, and block shots. We will fall in love with his hustle, and great play around the basket.

That's the best description I can come up with re: Williams. I had watched him at Duke (not so much in Atlanta because he didn't get a chance) and he was a tremendous force.

Mikki Moore turned me into a believer for his hustle, and overall enthusiasm. I ended up removing me "Mikki was a horrible signing" because I thought Mikki was doing as well as he can, and when getting a PF could come off the bench and play well. Well.... Shelden provides everything Mikki does, and more. A LOT more.
But he doesn't block shots. His per-minute averages look a lot like Brad Miller's. He did in college, but that was college.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Shelden has been nothing special at the NBA level. He's a big thick rock out there. But unfortunately he moves like a rock too and is a bit stubby and stuck to the ground. Mechanical too -- just lacks a natural flow and feel. But there is no real downside to picking up a young PF who specializes in rebounding for a team that does not have one (unless Justin coutns). Who knows, maybe he develops, although its hard to develop athleticism.

Think of Justing Williams rebounding and blocked shots, Mikki Moores hustle, Corliss Williamsons inside play around the basket offensively, and a poor mans Ron Artest man on man defense. The only thing Williams needs to work on is his away from the basket offense. I am VERY excited. He can't work on being more athletic because he is such a big muscle bound guy.

Nbrans, I think he will block at a 1.5 per game pace if given the starting job. Maybe upwards of 2, but that's about it. He gets a lot of those "sticks his long arms in the air" type blocks. He did average 1 near the end of the year, but something like 2 a game when he was starting.

But on the downside think of Corliss's footwork (a bit mechanical is right Brick), He has a decent vertical leaping ability, but is getting a lot of his blocks, and rebounds due to his 7'2 wingspan, and out reaching players.

Other than that I think the fans will like him.

hopefully this will lead to more moves. looks like we scored a 2nd round pick which isn't bad either (mid 2nd rnd). overall, this will move us towards our delayed goal of rebuilding. only draw back is we waited until midseason to do it.. looks like we'll end up with another 10th pickish this draft.

Think of Justing Williams rebounding and blocked shots, Mikki Moores hustle, Corliss Williamsons inside play around the basket offensively, and a poor mans Ron Artest man on man defense. The only thing Williams needs to work on is his away from the basket offense. I am VERY excited. He can't work on being more athletic because he is such a big muscle bound guy.

I like Shelden Williams, too, but you are REALLY overselling him. And your track record isn't exactly sterling (down on Mikki Moore, huge on Nick Fazekas - how's he doing anyhow? heh).

Just tone it down a bit. Like I said, I like Shelden and think he will be a solid piece. But your Voltron mega player you've just sold is a bit much.

did the hawks accept the deal or did you have to force them to do it.. thatd be a little interesting note.

welcome shelden, your going to have to work hard to make some of us kings fans forget our boy bibby but im going to give you a fair shot and hopefully you get some playing time.

But he doesn't block shots. His per-minute averages look a lot like Brad Miller's. He did in college, but that was college.
Petrie is a GENIUS for getting Sheldon!! He reminded me so much of Ben Wallace when he was dominant in his Detroit years...he hustles like crazy, rebounds like a mad man, and block shots that no other center would have the abilities to do. I wonder is Ron Artest will want to stick around a bit longer, because we just became that much tougher of a team by getting him to go along with the young guys we have already. Incredible trade Geoff!!

edit: the shape of the 'Kings to Come' just got a bit easier to digest with this trade.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Petrie is a GENIUS for getting Sheldon!! He reminded me so much of Ben Wallace when he was dominant in his Detroit years...he hustles like crazy, rebounds like a mad man, and block shots that no other center would have the abilities to do. I wonder is Ron Artest will want to stick around a bit longer, because we just became that much tougher of a team by getting him to go along with the young guys we have already. Incredible trade Geoff!!

Circa...what the hell are you talking about? :p

have you seen Shelden since he turned pro? he does some stuff and I'm always happy to gamble ona recent hig lottery guy. But there's been no Ben Wallace there and he's lost all his minutes on an Atlanta team wiht a bunhc of young undersized guys up front.

Circa...what the hell are you talking about? :p

have you seen Shelden since he turned pro? he does some stuff and I'm always happy to gamble ona recent hig lottery guy. But there's been no Ben Wallace there and he's lost all his minutes on an Atlanta team wiht a bunhc of young undersized guys up front.
I know he has had a bad 1 1/2 first years in the NBA, but knowing what he CAN do, I think he will get up to speed in the NBA. He is a monster on the boards! He rebounds like crazy, and I think that coming here will be the best thing that could happen for him.

I like Shelden Williams, too, but you are REALLY overselling him. And your track record isn't exactly sterling (down on Mikki Moore, huge on Nick Fazekas - how's he doing anyhow? heh).

Just tone it down a bit. Like I said, I like Shelden and think he will be a solid piece. But your Voltron mega player you've just sold is a bit much.
I changed my mind about Mikki.. But not as a starter, only as a reserve.. I still think Mikki sucks when it comes to starting. That's why this move was probably done.

Also, See Fazekas in the DLeague? 20/10 nightly. He just got recalled to Dallas too. The Mav fans are REAL high on Fazekas. Check out http://www.mavtalk.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=007018

They seem to like the guy, and think he has potential. That's all that matters at this point. He was a 2nd round pick in his first full year. They liked him enough to put him in the DLeague so he could get some PT, and he has flourished in that role as I said above. 20/10/2 and 55% FG.