Bibby headed to Atlanta

it is true Bibby did get traded to the hawks for tyrone lou for sure and not sure who else...just got off the phone with my brother who knows mike and him and his family are leaving today..press confrence at 4 et..espn.

that's what usually happens..but I have known mike and his family since I was little...and my brother has been boys with mike forever..(team dime)so when my brother called me and told me I have to believe him...he is not the type of person to start rumors..

matty I am going to say I'm behind you on this. The way you heard it (Lue the only name you heard) that is consistent with the other rumors. We know there have to be some salary matching pieces involved and he sounds like one.

I don't know if I hope you are right.. but it will be interesting to see what Geoff settled for. If it is a former #6 pick young big man (shelden) and some salary matching junk... ok. Makes sense.

Revrag

Father, Husband, KingsFan
Staff member
Administrator
Contributor
Appears true: Bibby headed to Atlanta

The Kings have reached an agreement in principle to send veteran guard Mike Bibby to the Atlanta Hawks for guards Anthony Johnson and Tyronn Lue and forwards Lorenzen Wright and Sheldon Williams, sources told The Bee on Saturday.

More...

Revrag

Father, Husband, KingsFan
Staff member
Administrator
Contributor
Amick: Bibby to Atlanta - a la Marty Mac

According to the Bee's Marty McNeal, Mike Bibby's days in Sacramento are nearly over and he's headed to Atlanta....

More...

best wishes to mike and his family. it was great seeing him hit all those clutch shots. hopefully we get a future 1st out of this deal. i'd be disappointed if we did not get apick.

To me, the real question is what happens next? For instance, while this doesn't get us under the cap in the offseason this COULD clear the way for an Artest/Nene trade since having Nene on the books next season would no longer land us in luxury tax land. Or, with another trade (such as Brad to Orlando for expirings) we could get closer to having some actual cap room. On its own this deal isn't very exciting, but it could open up some things for the future.

This is a good first step. Wish I was hearing something about picks, but at least its something. This is the first big move from the front office since the Webber trade.

Gotta start learning about Shelden Williams. A Duke guy. A big drafted #5 in 2006. Defensive player of the year award winner at Duke. Jersey retired by Duke.

That sounds very nice. Maybe 2006 was not the best draft in the world, but a nice young big lottery pick... could do worse I suppose.

Gotta start learning about Shelden Williams. A Duke guy? A big drafted #5 in 2006. Defensive player of the year award winner at Duke. Jersey retired by Duke.

That sounds very nice. Maybe 2006 was not the best draft in the world, but a nice young big lottery pick... could do worse I suppose.
6'9 is an issue.

I really don't think much of Shelden Williams -- he's not really that athletic and not that big. He was good in college, but so far his game hasn't really translated to the NBA. At the same time, he's smart and a hard worker, so maybe he can still get it together. Still, I've never really been very high on him.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
So the looks of it right now is Bibby for A. Johnson, Lue, Wright, and S. Williams - which would bring us to 17 players. We'd have to cut two.

Udrih/A. Johnson/Lue
Martin/Garcia/Douby
Artest/Salmons/Jones
Moore/KT/SAR/Shelden/Justin
Miller/Hawes/Wright

Dahntay seems like an obvious guy to let go. For the other cut...maybe Lorenzen Wright? He's expiring this year and we're clearly heavy on the big men. No way either KT or SAR get cut, as they've got time on their deals and Petrie will still be trying to get rid of them - if they're cut, then we can't trade the contract anymore.

Anyway, I hope there's a future pick in here. Wright, Lue, and Johnson are no more than filler and I wouldn't really expect any of them to have the inside track to a spot on the roster next year (if not cut). Shelden...never excited me much. Maybe there's something there I can't see.