Voisin: Brown Interested in Kings Job (merged)

Do you want the Kings to give Larry Brown a shot at the coaching position?

• Total voters

Entity

Hall of Famer
the $ thing is getting old. As if we are going to pay him. The Maloofs can afford him. Great thing is he doesn't go against the cap. In fact if they payed him alot it would actually show me and alot of other fans that they do still care about winning.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Here are the "credentials" I see.

He has a good coaching (wins/losses) record.
He has won a championship.
He has bilked the last two teams he played for out of millions of dollars.
He has whined and threatened every team so that he can have more control.
He wants to be coach and GM.
When he has not gotten what he wants, he leaves for greener pastures. But, how does he do this? Does he quit and leave money on the table? Hell no! He makes the entire organization (from front office to players to fans) so miserable that they fire him and will pay him anything to get him out.

The Kings and their fans are having enough trouble without bringing that egomaniac to Sacramento.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
the $ thing is getting old. As if we are going to pay him. The Maloofs can afford him. Great thing is he doesn't go against the cap. In fact if they payed him alot it would actually show me and alot of other fans that they do still care about winning.
Hell yes, we are going to pay him. It is called ticket prices, parking prices, food and goods prices. Whether the Maloofs can afford him is totally irrelevant. The are not in the habit of losing money without sharing that loss with the fans.

??WTF now your just making up numbers. OR wait did i miss 07-08 season who won the championship. What would fair haried Brooks get 23 but the players like him WOOOHOO sign that MF to 15 years.
I just did what YOU asked us to do. I looked at Larry's record. In 04 NY had 33 wins the season before Brown. In Next year with Brown they won 22 games. Last Seson the Kings won 33 games...

Entity

Hall of Famer
Hell yes, we are going to pay him. It is called ticket prices, parking prices, food and goods prices. Whether the Maloofs can afford him is totally irrelevant. The are not in the habit of losing money without sharing that loss with the fans.
So if we don't get him will ticket prices go down.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
There is a line of thinking for which 22 wins is better than 33 wins. 22 wins got New York the #2 pick last year (oops, Isiah traded it to Chicago). 33 wins got us the #10 pick this year. If that's your worst case scenario, aren't we actually better off?

Here are the "credentials" I see.

He has a good coaching (wins/losses) record.
He has won a championship.
He has bilked the last two teams he played for out of millions of dollars.
He has whined and threatened every team so that he can have more control.
He wants to be coach and GM.
When he has not gotten what he wants, he leaves for greener pastures. But, how does he do this? Does he quit and leave money on the table? Hell no! He makes the entire organization (from front office to players to fans) so miserable that they fire him and will pay him anything to get him out.

The Kings and their fans are having enough trouble without bringing that egomaniac to Sacramento.
You reallay are too kind to Brown. NY did not just give him the money. After one year Larry felt enitled to the full value of his contract so he sued he Knicks parent company.
Larry Brown Contract Dispute: Cablevision owns the New York Knicks, which unceremoniously fired legendary coach Larry Brown after less than a year on the job. Cablevision said he was terminated for cause; Brown disagreed. NBA Commissioner David Stern brokered a settlement under which the Knicks agreed to pay Brown a tidy $18,500,000. Amazingly, that’s not a bad result for Cablevision: Brown was asking for $53 million.

So the Knicks basically paid Brown nealry a million dollars for each win... quite he bargin since he was asking for 2.36 million per win.

There is a line of thinking for which 22 wins is better than 33 wins. 22 wins got New York the #2 pick last year (oops, Isiah traded it to Chicago). 33 wins got us the #10 pick this year. If that's your worst case scenario, aren't we actually better off?
Again if we are looking for a coach o lead us into the lotto I can think of guys that will do it cheaper, with less disruption to the team and most importantly while positioning team for the next 2 season, rather than a guy who plans o be gone in 2 sesons with a big bag of cash.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Are people not listening? He ruins franchises for years.
It is not what he can do on court. It is what he does off court that ruins franchises.
Yeah Detroit was ruined by Larry Brown. Lets see weren't they in the ECF this year? And NY. well my friend Mr. Thomas has ruined that. Come on He can't ruin anything anymore than Muss did.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I fail to see how he left Detroit off worse than when he got there.

I'm sorry, I don't like Larry Brown but give me some more names besides Brooks, Shaw and Theus to persuade me that he's not at least worth bringing in for an interview.

And as far as I know there is nothing that prevents the Kings from offering him a salary structure contingent on him being able to mentor a young coach along with him and handing the reigns over in 2-3 years. If he really wants to rebuild his reputation he'd agree to such a plan, if not we can look elsewhere. But again, bring him in, see if he's sincere and then go hire Brooks, Theus or Shaw if he's deemed to be full of it. Its not like we're competing against anyone with vacancies right now.

Larry Brown does not ruin franchises. Who has he ruined? Not New York that is all Isiah Thomas. Not Detroit they seem to be doing pretty good after he left. Not Portland or San Anotonio or the Clippers all places he was at they are pretty good. Also Philly that was AI and Indiana they are not ruined either.

Yeah Detroit was ruined by Larry Brown. Lets see weren't they in the ECF this year? And NY. well my friend Mr. Thomas has ruined that. Come on He can't ruin anything anymore than Muss did.
So you picked only franchise(Pistons) he did not ruin, Bravo,Bravo.:rolleyes: What? The Knicks were ruin by both parties do not think for one sec that Brown did not have a hand in that mess:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Larry Brown does not ruin franchises. Who has he ruined? Not New York that is all Isiah Thomas. Not Detroit they seem to be doing pretty good after he left. Not Portland or San Anotonio or the Clippers all places he was at they are pretty good. Also Philly that was AI and Indiana they are not ruined either.
Well they were when he left. It took some franchise years to rebuild after the state in which he left those franchise. The only real execption was Detriot. But even ask the Pistons fans and they would say that he ruined the youth of that team.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
So you picked only franchise he did not ruin, Bravo,Bravo.:rolleyes: What the Knicks were ruin by both parties do not think for one sec that Brown did not have a hand in that mess:rolleyes:
If Isiah hadn't traded away their draft pick, they'd have added the #2 overall pick to their roster after last year. That rarely ruins any franchise. Even without the #2 pick they bounced back pretty well. All Larry Brown did was lose for one year. Any long-term damage is Isiah's fault for his mismanagement of the roster.

Entity

Hall of Famer
no i picked the last 2 he coached. I can hand pick anything in the world if you want to. I was just sticking with the last 7 years. If you want to go back to his childhood or something thats you. don't give the bravo **** as if i am stupid for only going back the past 7 years. Since you have so much knoledge on the subject of him ruining franchises give me the who and how of each of them for the past 2 decades sir.

Note other posters he will not respond to the task at hand for he has no idea.

The Knicks franchise was in shambles before and after he left, I'd hire him over someone who has never been an NBA coach in any way ala Theus.

At this point I say why not, we're still going to get worse before we get better if we are indeed rebuilding.

Have you read all the comments? I think people are being pretty clear about why they don't want Larry Brown around.
I think the comments are at best 50-50, to a solid majority saying they're leaning or warm to the idea of considering Larry Brown. Certainly the poll you initiated so far solidly (landslide?) refutes the claim that Brown is some kind of pariah in the eyes of Kings fans.

So are you guys saying that he did a good job in New York?????????????
Also if you want proof of how he is liked why not ask the fans of those teams he coached. I am sure they will have plenty to say.

THE KNICKS WERE HORRIBLE WITH OR WITHOUT LARRY BROWN!!!

he just made it worse by calling out his players in public.

that's why Larry Brown will not work as the Kings coach unless we dump any combination of Bibby, Artest, SAR, Miller, KT. Those guys are too set in their ways, IMO, and won't respond well to LB. They won't play "the right way" because they just won't be able to adjust. The youngsters can still be molded, which is what he'd be great at.

I have never had anything nice to say about Larry Brown in the past. I don't like his character. But I want him. I'm bored.

What do I care how many bazillions the Maloofs pay past coaches in severance packages... doesn't come out of the cap.

although i will say this... i have a feeling that Artest would do well under Brown. Remember that 04 Pistons team? they were defensive monsters. I think he could convince Ron to worry more about his defensive abilities and turn him into the star he so wants to be that way.

Entity

Hall of Famer
So are you guys saying that he did a good job in New York?????????????
Also if you want proof of how he is liked why not ask the fans of those teams he coached. I am sure they will have plenty to say.
Took spurs to the playoffs first time in 5years then got fired. Hired by the Clippers jsut weeks later in midseaons in which they had a losing record. Brown then went on that year to lead them to 24-12 record over the last 3 months and to the playoffs for the first time in 23 years. then he did it again the next season. Indana wanted him he went and they won their first playoff series ever in his first season after consecutive playoffs apperaoces he had a bad season riddled with injuires in which the didn't make it. He then stepped down. Then Indiana went on their current streak of playoff apperances (wish he would ruin us like that) then he went to philly they were awful before he got there then ended up playin in the finals then he got offered the Detroit job and we know about them and NY.

So besides NY ( which is all due to isiah thomas) How has Larry brown hurt these teams?

Entity

Hall of Famer
I think the comments are at best 50-50, to a solid majority saying they're leaning or warm to the idea of considering Larry Brown. Certainly the poll you initiated so far solidly (landslide?) refutes the claim that Brown is some kind of pariah in the eyes of Kings fans.

you have to understand that to some ppl. amount of votes don't matter. its who votes for who that matters. If some of the respected posters vote no then the no's win. no matter if its 4 to 1 in favor of the yes's

Took spurs to the playoffs first time in 5years then got fired. Hired by the Clippers jsut weeks later in midseaons in which they had a losing record. Brown then went on that year to lead them to 24-12 record over the last 3 months and to the playoffs for the first time in 23 years. then he did it again the next season. Indana wanted him he went and they won their first playoff series ever in his first season after consecutive playoffs apperaoces he had a bad season riddled with injuires in which the didn't make it. He then stepped down. Then Indiana went on their current streak of playoff apperances (wish he would ruin us like that) then he went to philly they were awful before he got there then ended up playin in the finals then he got offered the Detroit job and we know about them and NY.

So besides NY ( which is all due to isiah thomas) How has Larry brown hurt these teams?
Here is a suggestion. Go to some Spurs, Clippers, and Detroit message boards and start threads entitled. "Larry Brown as Kings coach what do you think?" Then PM me the links... I could use a good laugh.

you have to understand that to some ppl. amount of votes don't matter. its who votes for who that matters. If some of the respected posters vote no then the no's win. no matter if its 4 to 1 in favor of the yes's
Not if you are attempting to assess what Kings Fans want. In this case, each vote should be equal. Having more or less knowledge of the team does not make you more or less of a fan. So far looks like Kings fans are open to LB. If you check other boards, you will see the same.

I agree, and I also think some just have permanent negative view of Ailene Voisin so they can't get past those blinders.